• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio presentation pictured within AMD's Vega/Ryzen booth

leeh

Posted in the general Scorpio thread (Credit to hanspampel):
0025rs12.jpg

They're either full scale trolling, considering the AMD CEO quote, or we can expect a console from MS with hot off the press architecture.

Hope restored.

Calm Mind

I'm pretty sure that is the same slide from the Ryzen announcement. It could be something more but I would not get too invested in it being anything more than a coincidence.

It's definitely using Vega, but so far AMD's "New Horzion" theme has been used when talking about Zen, with Vega having a small feature at the event last month.

They haven't really said much publicly about Vega yet so the "New Horizon" theme is probably oriented around both Ryzen and Vega.

This is featured on their New Horizon page on the AMD website.

​​​​​​Introducing AMD Ryzen™ Processors

AMD has created a processor product and brand in AMD Ryzen™ that expresses the power and efficiency of the all-new high-performance and highly efficient ”Zen" x86 core. Multiple architectural advances combined with platform and processing technologies propel users to the next horizon of computing.

I presume there's not one for Vega yet because they haven't really shown or said much about it.

leeh

What is this proof of? This is the same New Horizon presentation, where they also talked about the Pro.
Nothing. I'm just trying to get everyone's hopes up to make that disappointment sting that much more, including my own.

_Ryo_

Would a new architecture cause complications with backwards capacity? Or worse, forwards capacity on the Xbox One?

Bsigg12

Would a new architecture cause complications with backwards capacity? Or worse, forwards capacity on the Xbox One?

For Xbox One games probably not. We know they hired or were hiring an engineer to work on 360 compatibility for the Scorpio.

What is the quote from the AMD CEO?
Polaris soll nach dem Stand der Gerüchte auch in den kommenden überarbeiteten Konsolen von Microsoft und Sony stecken,
dort werden sie aber weiterhin mit alten Prozessorkernen gepaart – entgegengesetzt einiger aktueller Medienberichte auch bei Microsofts Xbox Scorpio.
Zen-Kerne und neue Grafik als Semi-Custom-Lösung soll es nicht vor 2018 geben, deutete AMDs Chefin Lisa Su in kleiner Runde an.
Source: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/amd-grafikkarten-marktanteil/

Translation:
Zen-Cores and new Graphics as semi-sutom-solutions won´t come before 2018, hinted AMD boss Lisa Su in small round.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

I'd be more worried about the problems caused for forwards compatibility of Scorpio if it doesn't have new architecture.

I'm pretty sure that is the same slide from the Ryzen announcement. It could be something more but I would not get too invested in it being anything more than a coincidence.

Yeah it is, but why put it next to a stand showcasing a Ryzen + Vega setup?

I just don't see how we're getting true 4K and 60fps for a reasonable price. Gonna wait and see though.
Who said anything about 60fps? That's always dependent on the game.

Expect xbox one level graphics at 4k. It's totally doable with scorpio and at a reasonable price too. It's not like they're putting a cpu and separate gpu in it. It's one chip to keep costs low snd with vega, you dont need as many gpu cores than if it were polaris based. 6TF is not a massive number for Q4 2017.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Isn't that just a refrain of the conference they did which also included PS Pro in the slides?

They are pimping both Vega and Ryzen in that AMD booth. Doesn't imply Scorpio with Ryzen.

Lisa Su has been pretty clear.

Of course you can feel free to mock me if i'm wrong.

Calm Mind

I wouldn't read too much into it. But I will say this, AMD knows what they're doing. Hopefully, we can get a definitive answer from someone on the showfloor before the speculation madness sets in.

Cuz itmight be using both, honestly we do not know. I wouldnt even take the ceo's comments as a 100% no.

It's def using vega. Cpu as tweaked jaguars seem to go against MS' mission objective for Scorpio and this is a big order for AMD, so i wouldnt be shocked if it actually is in the system.

The Scorpio is just in reference to AMD's console business, it has no bearing on Zen.

It's from this video:

https://youtu.be/4DEfj2MRLtA?t=20m16s

As for Vega, consoles don't use discrete cards, it's an embedded SOC that may or may not have similar amount of compute units compared to a desktop GPU. There is no RX 480 in PS4 Pro, there's an APU with the same amount of CU's. Scorpio will have features from Vega no doubt, and maybe even beyond, just like PS4 Pro has Polaris features and some extra. I wish people would figure this out and stop thinking like Scorpio will have a desktop Zen processor and desktop Vega GPU in it. It's all going to be custom not identical to any desktop product.

RootCause

The Scorpio is just in reference to AMD's console business, it has no bearing on Zen.

It's from this video:

https://youtu.be/4DEfj2MRLtA?t=20m16s

As for Vega, consoles don't use discrete cards, it's an embedded SOC that may or may not have similar amount of compute units compared to a desktop GPU. There is no RX 480 in PS4 Pro, there's an APU with the same amount of CU's. Scorpio will have features from Vega no doubt, and maybe even beyond, just like PS4 Pro has Polaris features and some extra. I wish people would figure this out and stop thinking like Scorpio will have a desktop Zen processor and desktop Vega GPU in it. It's all going to be custom not identical to any desktop product.

Pretty sure that's an assumption on your end.

Luigiv

Well I can believe Scorpio has a Vega based GPU but I still find it hard to believe it'll have an octocore Zen CPU on the same die. Such an APU would likely consume over 200W and be a bitch to keep cool.

wapplew

Scorpio will go discrete Zen CPU + Vega GPU for the first year and move to APU in 2018, believe
in Phil Spencer

DieH@rd

Banned
Scorpio will go discrete Zen CPU + Vega GPU for the first year and move to APU in 2018, believe.

This is nonsense. They already showed basic internal layout of scorpio. It will be APU + 12x1GB GDDR5 chips.

And for CPU, chances for Zen are minimal. It will again be low-powered CPU, not Jaguar but one of its [slightly] upgraded versions.

_Ryo_

I'd be more worried about the problems caused for forwards compatibility of Scorpio if it doesn't have new architecture.

But wouldn't programming games for a new architecture complicate those running on the Xbox One. Is the new one still x86 based?

Like to use a hypothetical ps5 for example. Say instead x86, Sony used some advanced version of CELL, that was easier to work with, on that system, wouldn't the software designed for it not work on the PS4? Where as running PS4 games on the new CELL PS5 would be easier to get working?

Bsigg12

So one way or another, who's going to go through all the Scorpio threads later this year when they finally announce what's in it and serve up crow?

icespide

Banned
So one way or another, who's going to go through all the Scorpio threads later this year when they finally announce what's in it and serve up crow?
hopefully no one. taking the time to go through and do all of that would be incredibly sad

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
But wouldn't programming games for a new architecture complicate those running on the Xbox One. Is the new one still x86 based?

Like to use a hypothetical ps5 for example. Say instead x86, Sony used some advanced version of CELL, that was easier to work with, on that system, wouldn't the software designed for it not work on the PS4? Where as running PS4 games on the new CELL PS5 would be easier to get working?

It's all x86.

Top Bottom