• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio presentation pictured within AMD's Vega/Ryzen booth

ethomaz

Banned
This pic is from AMD booth.

Pro is part of the "New Horizon" market too.

That pic says nothing at all but I can see XB1 using Vega parts... my doubts are with Zen.

What was the AMD CEO quote referenced?
Polaris soll nach dem Stand der Gerüchte auch in den kommenden überarbeiteten Konsolen von Microsoft und Sony stecken,
dort werden sie aber weiterhin mit alten Prozessorkernen gepaart – entgegengesetzt einiger aktueller Medienberichte auch bei Microsofts Xbox Scorpio.
Zen-Kerne und neue Grafik als Semi-Custom-Lösung soll es nicht vor 2018 geben, deutete AMDs Chefin Lisa Su in kleiner Runde an.
Source: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/amd-grafikkarten-marktanteil/

Translation:
Zen-Cores and new Graphics as semi-sutom-solutions won´t come before 2018, hinted AMD boss Lisa Su in small round.

New page, new quote, as it seems nobody is reading. -_-

score01

If Scorpio is more like pc in a box - could they go for cpu/gpu combo as per pc setup or would it be too expensive?

But wouldn't programming games for a new architecture complicate those running on the Xbox One. Is the new one still x86 based?

Like to use a hypothetical ps5 for example. Say instead x86, Sony used some advanced version of CELL, that was easier to work with, on that system, wouldn't the software designed for it not work on the PS4? Where as running PS4 games on the new CELL PS5 would be easier to get working?
They posted win32 to arm and even made possible for it to run unmodified x86 compiled applications, including games.

Making a environment designed to be device agnostic to run in other architectures would be a piece of cake in comparison.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
However that is not a direct quote.. the guy is implying she said..

Lisa Su

"Well, I think, if you look today at the semi-custom business, it's been primarily game console driven. And it's been again very, very pleased with the franchise that we've built around that. We do have engagements outside of game consoles, and that will ramp, let's call it, more in the 2018 timeframe. The other thing you should expect is I talked about our Zen roadmap for our products, so in terms of desktops servers and notebooks. But one should expect Zen in our semi-custom roadmap as well as we go – as we look beyond 2017 into the '18, '19 timeframe. And so, we really do view this as we're developing foundational IP that can go into a number of different markets. And we have good prospects in those areas."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...-and-telecom-conference-transcript/ar-AAkYEcZ

There. No more BS. Happy?

We've been saying the same things since last year.

68.gif

Inuhanyou

Well, if this thing doesn't have a good CPU (Basically: not what XB1 has), then it ain't gonna be the "true 4K console" MS have promised.

Resolution is not dependent on CPU power(for the most part). More important is bandwidth and GPU grunt.

MS can absolutely get first party games to native 4K, if they optimize carefully.

Bobnob

Who said anything about 60fps? That's always dependent on the game.

Expect xbox one level graphics at 4k. It's totally doable with scorpio and at a reasonable price too.
If thats all its going to be then count me out at any price above replacement normal xbox one price. If thats all it is there will be uproar! They might as well just stop now. Surely there needs to be some sort of discussion with the "players" headed by microsoft about what this system should be.

There are going to a lot of disappointed Xbox fans come E3.

Why? As long as gamers get their 6 TFLOPS console, they should be happy.

Thank you KageMaru. I see a lot of people saying what CrayToes said, and I suppose for fanboys who expect Scorpio to have Zen architecture, it will be a sad day for them if it doesn't happen.

However, as an Xbox only gamer, I personally could give a rats-ass about what's inside the Scorpio. I'm just looking forward to new hardware, and the prospect that it's supposedly more than 3x more powerful than XboxOne is what excites me, I really don't care how they do it.

So put me in with the group of people who are just looking forward to a new Xbox, as I'm sure there are many like me. As for those who care about what's inside the new box, most likely because of some fanboy agenda...Well, there's going to be some sad folks on one side or the other, and that's kind of a shame.

Inuhanyou

Sorry but in that quote I don't see her specifically desmissing 2017 for semi customs.. one can read that way but in my opinion you can also just read that the road map extends into 2018 and 2019 also. But given that Scorpio is sheduled for late 2017 I won't desmiss it at all..

She says "beyond 2017 into 2018 and 2019 timeframe"

You can't glean anything else from it. Stop it.

see5harp

I do want to believe but I expect it to be along the same lines as the ps4 pro upgrade....new GPU same old shitty CPU.

She says "beyond 2017 into 2018 and 2019 timeframe"

You can't glean anything else from it. Stop it.

That's what I'm saying. She is just saying beyond 2017... nothing more nothing less.. estrapulating from this quote that it won't be any custom in 2017 for sure is a dangerous game.

Ryzen will launch before Vega (Q1CY2017 vs H1CY2017) and many people in here believe scorpio will use vega gpu technology but no zen cpu technology

all based on an (imho) wrongfully interpretation of this:
Well, I think, if you look today at the semi-custom business, it's been primarily game console driven. And it’s been again very, very pleased with the franchise that we’ve built around that. We do have engagements outside of game consoles, and that will ramp, let’s call it, more in the 2018 timeframe. The other thing you should expect is I talked about our Zen roadmap for our products, so in terms of desktops servers and notebooks. But one should expect Zen in our semi-custom roadmap as well as we go – as we look beyond 2017 into the ’18, ’19 timeframe. And so, we really do view this as we’re developing foundational IP that can go into a number of different markets. And we have good prospects in those areas.

expect zen in our semi custom roadmap in '18 and '19 doesn't equal no zen in our semi custom business in '17 at all

and beside zen, no other cpu architecture has any future at amd
so what else will microsoft use? old and slow jaguar cores, that are already to slow for the ps4 pro? puma? not really that different from jaguar.
that would leave excavator core on the table. and those are not really good in a low power console enviroment

ethomaz

Banned
We've been saying the same things since last year.
It is sad that every thread one or more guys says it is not actual quote... when in fact it is actual quote from the investor meeting lol

Few weeks ago I posted the same quote and the guy replied it was something created by GAF and not actual quote... I stopped to reply due reasons.

Inuhanyou

They will use Jaguar or Puma. There is nothing else to use in 2017. AMD will be handling desktop level core orders all year.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ryzen will launch before Vega (Q1CY2017 vs H1CY2017) and many people in here believe scorpio will use vega gpu technology but no zen cpu technology

expect zen in our semi custom roadmap in '18 and '19 doesn't equal no zen in our semi custom business in '17 at all

so what else will microsoft use? old and slow jaguar cores, that are already to slow for the ps4 pro? puma? not really that different from jaguar.
that would leave excavator core on the table. and those are not really good in a low power console enviroment

Eight core Ryzen is even more power hungry. If MS hadn't already publicly said they were putting an eight core CPU in Scorpio I could see some variation of Ryzen making it but the power envelope just doesn't work. On top of that, 4K is their main concern with Scorpio so they would be better served focusing on the GPU and RAM bandwidth, which is what it seems like they're doing. I think Scorpio will be a very nice upgrade but it's still within the same gen.

Inuhanyou

They can use down clock desktop Zen.

Your not going to simply downclock desktop Zen and then put it into an APU without an actual semi custom solution for doing so. Something that, again, will not be the priority for this year.

jelly

When people say they'll use Puma or Jaguar, is that less or more of a feat to make an APU than Zen if it is available?

I know it might be unlikely but 360 got pretty advanced stuff from AMD at the time. I know RROD but it wouldn't be unlikely for Microsoft to get in on cutting edge stuff first before it hits the mainstream PC market.

wapplew

Your not going to simply downclock desktop Zen and then put it into an APU without an actual semi custom solution for doing so. Something that, again, will not be the priority for this year.

Don't have to put it in APU, just stick a Zen CPU in Scorpio board.
AMD is expect to put one into laptop this year, surely MS can put one into console too.

Nzyme32

OR, it is just a bunch of ads for AMD projects on a separate screen - as they usually have around at their events

Cartho

giphy.gif

Still think it's unlikely Zen will be in Scorpio. Very happy to eat crow while preordering if it's true though.

KageMaru

Yeah, about that. What are the odds of Scorpio making it out of the conversation point state and into the actually hitting store shelves phase.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

It's one thing to launch separate chips and an entirely different process to create an APU with those chips.

Top Bottom