• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio presentation pictured within AMD's Vega/Ryzen booth

It's really the tracking and control solutions that make or break VR rather than the visuals. You can get away with reasonably simple visuals if the 'feel' of it is absolutely nailed.

If Microsoft can make a better tracking & control system than the PS Eye camera / Move controllers of PSVR they'll be fine - they should do a deal with Oculus and bundle Oculus' Touch controllers with whatever Scorpio VR is and they'll automatically be better than PSVR.

Oh I agree with you, I've tried both Oculus (without the new controller's) and PSVR and I had a lot of fun with both of them and I can see why movement and tracking is key. It's just that different MS suits have all used the term 'high fidelity' and it just feels like they are trying to make something of it, that makes it different to what Sony are doing. Can an extra 1.5TF really do that?

Maybe im just reading more into it than is actually there :)

gamz

remember the xbox one s reveal?
we didn't know about a die shrink and some other improvements before a special digital foundry interview with albert penello

so don't expect any scorpio tech details before the timeframe close to launch

Nor did anyone expect the 4K player.

we didn't know about a die shrink and some other improvements before a special digital foundry interview with albert penello

That was completely different thing.

It was only a slim revision and they didnt think the performance improvements were worth talking sbout since they were so small.

The Scorpio is based around a big performance boost. We'll hear about tech specs a lot around the unveil etc.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
A pessimistic (or realistic) view of upcoming console hardware is usually either ignored or hand-waved away until the very end.
People come to these threads mostly to be placated and reaffirmed of the device's enormous tech potential with theoreticals and speculation. At some point, hype takes over.

See the Wii-U and Switch tech threads for some examples. People will endlessly generate loopholes and theories on why that future box they intend to purchase is actually super duper powerful. News to the contrary often gets disregarded until it's from a very, very good source. It's a whole process and surely this isn't the first time you encounter it.

That's true...but those people are the ones most disappointing when stuff doesn't go how it was supposed to.

The Wii U threads, seeing people talk about 1 tflop, then 720gflops, than 500, then bargaining stage, than accepting it was marginally more powerful than 360 GPU wise.

Despite the hype from the Zelda demo and Bird trailer, it was a pretty unsatisfactory result

But we could infer based on foundry production and obvious time tables that 16nm would be a priority for both MS and Sony last year due to their usual habit of using die shrinks for revisions. The slight performance upgrades were indeed a surprise though

cilonen

Oh I agree with you, I've tried both Oculus (without the new controller's) and PSVR and I had a lot of fun with both of them and I can see why movement and tracking is key. It's just that different MS suits have all used the term 'high fidelity' and it just feels like they are trying to make something of it, that makes it different to what Sony are doing. Can an extra 1.5TF really do that?

Maybe im just reading more into it than is actually there :)

I get where you're coming from - it does feel like they are trying to make something from it, but I don't think the extra power is going to make a hugely visible difference.

The extra power will probably get them 1080p60 and native 4K at 30FPS where they've really worked to the metal to get it - I'm thinking things like Forza, Halo and Crackdown (and presumably a new Gears) will get there, their internal teams are wizards at wringing every last drop of power out of the hardware.

I'd also say a potential VR Forza on Scorpio will indeed look better than GT Sport on PSVR but not by night-and-day generational differences and I don't know if a VR Forza could match Project Cars or Dirt Rally in VR running on a PC.

It might be that they're trying to get out in front and say the PR equivalent of "the VR experience you have on our machine will not be disappointing". I can definitely get behind that, I'm sure it'll be a great VR experience :)

Inuhanyou

If the price is right why would they be disappointed, it will still be the most powerful console on the market.

Not the reasonable ones, just the ones trying to convince themselves MS will be able to put technology in Scorpio not actually feasible for the time period.

But we could infer based on foundry production and obvious time tables that 16nm would be a priority for both MS and Sony last year due to their usual habit of using die shrinks for revisions. The slight performance upgrades were indeed a surprise though

and there was never ever a slim revision without a die shrink
yet some people were still doubting it and the official word about it was just close before launch

i fully expect some (more) technical specs will be included in the reveal presentation for xbox scorpio - likely at e3, but i don't expect deep architectural details
would be lucky if we get an "amd newest vega and zen technology" quote

Hawk269

Not the reasonable ones, just the ones trying to convince themselves MS will be able to put technology in Scorpio not actually feasible for the time period.

What kind of insight do you have that has you saying things like "not actually feasible"? In order to make such a comment, you must then have some information that can back that up.

I am not suggesting that the Scorpio will have Zen or wont have Zen. I don't know, but I am keeping an open mind and hoping for the best. You seem to be absolutely sure that it won't have it, so I have to ask that you tell us what you know then if you are so confident that it will not have it. Or it could be like the rest of us, you are just pulling shit out of your ass and taking a guess like we ALL are doing.

Based on reading your posts, you seem to be banking 100% on the comments my Lisa that there will be no Zen SOC until 2018. If that is the case, I wouldn't bank on that as being 100% as a person in her position would not be telling people what they are working on without the customer announcing it themselves. Again, it is possible that there is a custom version of Zen that MS has been working with AMD to create that would technically not fall into her statement. But like you, I am just speculating and I don't know anything. I just would think that it is possible it will have Zen or a version of Zen, I am not ruling it out, nor am I under the belief that it is 100% going to have it...you on the other hand seem 100% sure it will not have it and for someone to be 100% sure, then you must have some inside info?

:l Don't fight over me guys, its embarrassing.

I'm just sayin that what we have in writing is Lisa Su ruling out Zen semi custom solutions for 2017. People keep trying to bring up weird pretzel logic to see it happen and its just stretching things too far.

There's a difference between guessing and making educated hypothesis, and if Zen was in Scorpio, we'd surely have way more concrete info about that being a possibility than we do now, in which it is very unlikely

"High fidelity" VR is just a buzzword. More hardware power means better graphics, visuals and better possibilities by default. VR is VR.

That CPU is generations above jaguar in terms of power.

There is nothing in Liza words that rules out semi custom in 2017

Inuhanyou

She has stated multiple times folks that semicustom zen architecture is not in their plans until beyond the 2017 timeframe. She said it in November, and on separate occasions before that. I don't how you go from 'beyond 2017' into 'we don't know' territory.

Seems pretty open and shut.

I didn't think this deserved its own thread. This is funny

Also that quote that keeps getting posted is being interpreted like 8 different ways on here. That's also kind of funny.

She has stated multiple times folks that semicustom zen architecture is not in their plans until beyond the 2017 timeframe. She said it in November, and on separate occasions before that. I don't how you go from 'beyond 2017' into 'we don't know' territory.

In my opinion open and shut would be: "from 2018"

For me "beyond 2017" is quite ambiguous and open up for interpretation

should we gather our torches and pitchforks on the statement made by ms regarding the tech they wanted to use wasnt avail in 2016?

anothertech

That video also shows Xbone, Ps4 and Ps4 pro next to the ryzen slide too doesn't it?

Zen confirmed for all current gen consoles? Dam. I guess zen really is just an upclocked jaguar.

lol

leeh

You don't also disclose information which is contracted behind NDA.

jelly

She could skip any Zen semicustom talk then.

Basically you are saying she lied.

oarGJ.gif

Hesemonni

Banned
That video also shows Xbone, Ps4 and Ps4 pro next to the ryzen slide too doesn't it?

Zen confirmed for all current gen consoles? Dam. I guess zen really is just an upclocked jaguar.

lol
Zen is a beast.

I wouldn't mind Zen-derivate CPU in Scorpio and I hope it's true, but the realist in me says it's going to be Puma or similar.

anothertech

It's more the point the corporate leader responsible to discuss such things outright said 'it won't be there' for Scorpio timeline.

But many are putting false hope into a random image taken at the right time and posted online by self proclaimed console fans.

Seriously, you gotta keep your hype in heck no matter how much a fan you are of the product.

It won't use it

They have to keep the price low. Besides if it was using it, they would have put emphasis on the cpu at e3. It was mostly going on about tflops/vega with no cpu talk

jelly

So, Buddhism.

Here’s a Zen story which tries to reveal the true nature of enlightened human beings.

Two monks were washing their bowls in the river when they noticed a scorpion that was drowning. One monk immediately scooped it up and set it upon the bank. In the process he was stung.

He went back to washing the bowl when he noticed the scorpion fall into the water again. The monk once again saved the scorpion and was stung again.

The other monk asked him, “My dear friend, why do you continue to save the scorpion when you know its nature is to sting.”

“Because,” the monk replied, “to save it is my nature.”

Save Xbox with Zen, OMG!

Inuhanyou

That isn't how round tables work. AMD usually describes their plans like 'semi custom win' or 'CPU semicustom wins for year XXXX'. That has nothing to do with NDA or keeping things special super secret for surprise announcements.

AMD does it all the time with the consoles.

No
Scalability
How do PC and Xbox share games?

So you're telling me that Quantum Break would have been possible to run on Xbox 360 just by scaling it accordingly? I don't think so. When a studio has a certain vision for a game, it has to fall within specific technical requirements.

Inuhanyou

Scorpio will use both.

They didn't announce it a year and half early to wait so they can use 2013 and 2016 tech.

She reconfirmed it a month ago. And had MS went with 2016 technology, they'd have been looking at the same console Sony put together.

2017 allows 6tflops in a reasonable power draw, higher bandwidth margins and maybe a Puma CPU on the same nanometer size, but it could just as easily, and is more likely to be Jaguar IMO.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So, Buddhism.

Here’s a Zen story which tries to reveal the true nature of enlightened human beings.

Two monks were washing their bowls in the river when they noticed a scorpion that was drowning. One monk immediately scooped it up and set it upon the bank. In the process he was stung.

He went back to washing the bowl when he noticed the scorpion fall into the water again. The monk once again saved the scorpion and was stung again.

The other monk asked him, “My dear friend, why do you continue to save the scorpion when you know its nature is to sting.”

“Because,” the monk replied, “to save it is my nature.”

Save Xbox with Zen, OMG!
I like this story. However, can the scorpion save itself when no monks are present?
Let us ponder.

Bl@de

My bet is on Jaguar and a Navi Vega hybrid GPU.

Puma is not HSA compliant.

Hmm. Didn't know about that. Even worse. With Puma higher clocks would have been possible. With Jaguar it will end up at 2,3-2,5 GHz like the PS4 Pro. Of course they don't need more, but I don't know if 12 months longer to the market are worth 1,8TF and some Vega features.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
That time was only one month ago.
Do you think a company would patiently wait until last moment for miracles?

She reconfirmed it a month ago. And had MS went with 2016 technology, they'd have been looking at the same console Sony put together.

2017 allows 6tflops in a reasonable power draw, higher bandwidth margins and maybe a Puma CPU on the same nanometer size, but it could just as easily, and is more likely to be Jaguar IMO.

We'll see in a few months I guess.

My hunch is still sitting with a Ryzen variant for the CPU with a 480 based GPU. I'm aware of how unreasonable that may seem right now, but most of GAF responded the same way 2 years ago when I said Nintendo would go with a hybrid for their next console.

"But Nintendo said it won't be a hybrid"

"AMD said no semi custom ZEN before 2018"

Looking eerily similar.

Inuhanyou

Hmm. Didn't know about that. Even worse. With Puma higher clocks would have been possible. With Jaguar it will end up at 2,3-2,5 GHz like the PS4 Pro. Of course they don't need more, but I don't know if 12 months longer to the market are worth 1,8TF and some Vega features.

bandwidth for the RAM is important. With Vega they can get more power with less heat and use the headroom to increase the clockspeed of the RAM, getting to that 320GB/s, which is extremely important for higher resolutions like 4K without taking FPS

Inuhanyou

We'll see in a few months I guess.

My hunch is still sitting with a Ryzen variant for the CPU with a 480 based GPU. I'm aware of how unreasonable that may seem right now, but most of GAF responded the same way 2 years ago when I said Nintendo would go with a hybrid for their next console.

"But Nintendo said it won't be a hybrid"

"AMD said no semi custom ZEN before 2018"

Looking eerily similar.

To be fair, nobody who actually was looking at the situation with a clear head believed Nintendo when they said it would not be a hybrid considering their flagging sales in the console space and how they were not interested in a power race.

I never thought they would go back to competing on power. Barring that, they had no place to go besides try and replicate Wii U AGAIN which was never going to happen.

Combining their strongest sector in handhelds with their console development teams made sense when Iwata said he wanted to restructure the teams to be singularly focused.

So it needs you in every thread keeping everyones hope in check? Why would you give a fuck?

What else do i have to do? Lol. When i'm participating in the discussion i feel compelled to post.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
To be fair, nobody who actually was looking at the situation with a clear head believed Nintendo when they said it would not be a hybrid considering their flagging sales in the console space and how they were not interested in a power race.

I never thought they would go back to competing on power. Barring that, they had no place to go besides try and replicate Wii U AGAIN which was never going to happen.

What else do i have to do? Lol. When i'm participating in the discussion i feel compelled to post.

Go back to those threads dude. Almost NO ONE believed it would be a hybrid. There was only a tiny handful of us on #teamhybrid. Despite how completely logical a step it was for Nintendo, absolutely no one believed it a possibility.

This is sitting in almost the same boat. Microsoft are not announcing a year and a half early to end up with a modest console. They are going to go all out and they are going to take a hit if need be. I actually think they threw the 6TF number out as a baseline. I think the final box will be more. How much more? I don't know. With the Surface team involved, nothing is out of the question.

Would be cool. I'm skeptical but it would be cool. I'm happy with my One S and OG PS4 for now though. I don't see a tangible upgrade that suits me yet.

Marmelade

Go back to those threads dude. Almost NO ONE believed it would be a hybrid. There was only a tiny handful of us on #teamhybrid. Despite how completely logical a step it was for Nintendo, absolutely no one believed it a possibility.

This is sitting in almost the same boat. Microsoft are not announcing a year and a half early to end up with a modest console. They are going to go all out and they are going to take a hit if need be. I actually think they threw the 6TF number out as a baseline. I think the final box will be more. How much more? I don't know. With the Surface team involved, nothing is out of the question.

They're announcing a year and a half early because their main competitor already released their new console
Keeping quiet was not an option anymore

Top Bottom