• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio presentation pictured within AMD's Vega/Ryzen booth

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
When people say they'll use Puma or Jaguar, is that less or more of a feat to make an APU than Zen if it is available?

Jaguar is already in an APU configuration which makes it the most likely. Puma is not, but its just an offshoot of Jaguar so it should be easier, plus its got better wattage and heat efficiency.

IF it were Zen and Vega, this is not a "upgraded" Xbox One. Its Xbox Four (you know what I mean). Its Xbox four, which happens to natively support Xbox One(3) Games.

IF it were Zen and Vega, this is not a "upgraded" Xbox One. Its Xbox Four (you know what I mean). Its Xbox four, which happens to natively support Xbox One(3) Games.

Not at 6TF it isn't, especially when most of that will be used on a resolution bump. A better CPU would mainly just help with more solid framerates.

The Scorpio is just the same deal as the PS4 Pro, only done better.

We may even expeculate that MS proposedly postpone Scorpio to be able to use zen... it even makes sense because given xbox one poor sales if it was not for this reason from a business stand point they were more pressed to put a revised xbox in the market sooner than Sony. .

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

It's one thing to launch separate chips and an entirely different process to create an APU with those chips.

correct. but xbox scorpio is Q4CY2017, so some more time for the process to mature
and raven ridge apus will be H2CY2017

so Zen CPU / Vega GPU SOCs will already be out by the time Xbox scorpio launches.
all we discuss here is the quote about semi custom chips

KageMaru

We may even expeculate that MS proposedly postpone Scorpio to be able to use zen... it even makes sense because given xbox one poor sales if it was not for this reason from a business stand point they were more pressed to put a revised xbox in the market sooner than Sony. .

I think the timing has everything to do with Vega and hitting the 6TFLOP number and nothing to do with Zen.

Sulik2

I'm hoping AMD's engineers ended up better then Microsoft was expecting and we get a power bump on the Scorpio.

Inuhanyou

You hope...

I wish you would stop trying to make everything into a fanboy contest.

Nobody cares about your platform war, i'm talking about what is practical and realistic for the timeframe and hardware, just like with Pro when i tried to tell people that 60fps was not realistic with jaguar, even upclocked, and native 4K was not going to be a common resolution despite the hysteria.

MilkyJoe

Not a chance.

If Zen is in Scorpio it is, regardless of release date. You don't make changes like that at the 11th hour.

Whatever is in it, you have to question why such a delay? Especially if it's going with another Shitty jaguar, that thing could probably launch soon, if not already, with that configuration.

I wish you would stop trying to make everything into a fanboy contest.

That's in direct response to your "wherever you see injustice, I'll be there" commentary, mate. You don't miss a beat, no matter what thread it pops up in.

Resolution is not dependent on CPU power(for the most part). More important is bandwidth and GPU grunt.

MS can absolutely get first party games to native 4K, if they optimize carefully.

I've asked this a few times now but VR is CPU dependent, is that correct? If so what kind of CPU do you need to output 'high fidelity VR'?

Inuhanyou

That's in direct response to your "wherever you see injustice, I'll be there" commentary, mate. You don't miss a beat, no matter what thread it pops up in.

Huh?

I've asked this a few times now but VR is CPU dependent, is that correct? If so what kind of CPU do you need to output 'high fidelity VR'?

VR is only CPU dependent in certain cases like all other types of games. PSVR has to run on jaguar remember.

One thing I think is possible is they retain the 32MB of eSRAM. One for ease of compatibility with existing games, and the 360 emulator. Then possibly when in 'Scorpio mode' it can use it as super fast low level cache which may help with CPU tasks, amongst other stuff.

320GB/s would be bang on for 12GB GDDR5 on a 384bit bus. Yet the dude in the E3 video said "over 320GB/s". So maybe he meant the GDDR5 plus the eSRAM.

MilkyJoe

You popping up yelling at people to "stop it" whenever they speculate something that doesn't fit your rhetoric. How about you stop it? You don't know shit more than anyone else, so I don't give a monkey's how certain you are,or realistic you are being, get your arse off your stool and stop talking down to people. Und hence "you hope" cause you're going to have a time of it if you are wrong.

Not at 6TF it isn't, especially when most of that will be used on a resolution bump. A better CPU would mainly just help with more solid framerates.

The Scorpio is just the same deal as the PS4 Pro, only done better.

The performance leap between the One and Scorpio is much larger than PS4 and Pro though. I get what you're saying, but in the Xbox ecosystem it could be considered as a new gen with backwards compatibility. I wouldn't be surprised if MS releases a console with a similar performance improvement every 3-4 years. Gens are dead with forwards/backwards compatibility.

I think the Scorpio is going to be next gen

Seems like it. I expect it to be fully backwards compatible with Xbox One games (including online as well) but -unlike PS4 Pro- this console will have exclusive Scorpio games. Microsoft wants to move to next-gen as soon as possible and it makes perfect sense. Sony on the other hand is in no rush since their hardware is selling so well and have a ton of games coming the next few years.

MilkyJoe

Seems like it. I expect it to be fully backwards compatible with Xbox One games (including online as well) but -unlike PS4 Pro- this console will have exclusive Scorpio games. Microsoft wants to move to next-gen as soon as possible and it makes perfect sense. Sony on the other hand is in no rush since their hardware is selling so well and have a ton of games coming the next few years.

No
Scalability
How do PC and Xbox share games?

Inuhanyou

You popping up yelling at people to "stop it" whenever they speculate something that doesn't fit your rhetoric. How about you stop it? You don't know shit more than anyone else, so I don't give a monkey's how certain you are,or realistic you are being, get your arse off your stool and stop talking down to people. Und hence "you hope" cause you're going to have a time of it if you are wrong.

For just telling me off, you seem pretty certain of yourself in your last post lmao.

Fact of the matter is, there is a difference between wishing and thinking realistically, and people have to be able to parse the difference even if you dont want me trying to educate

The performance leap between the One and Scorpio is much larger than PS4 and Pro though. I get what you're saying, but in the Xbox ecosystem it could be considered as a new gen with backwards compatibility. I wouldn't be surprised if MS releases a console with a similar performance improvement every 3-4 years. Gens are dead with forwards/backwards compatibility.

If they stuck to 1080p they could just about do that, and then you could have a fairly big graphical bump.

But all signs point to this being a 4K Xbox One for the most part.

MilkyJoe

For just telling me off, you seem pretty certain of yourself in your last post lmao.

Fact of the matter is, there is a difference between wishing and thinking realistically, and people have to be able to parse the difference even if you dont want me trying to educate

I'm not certain of anything other than why the delay if it's just a Jaguar in there.

There's a big difference between speculate and educate if you have nothing concrete to go on.

icespide

Banned

I've been in these iterative console threads for awhile, maybe too long, and Inuhanyou strikes me as someone only interested in the subject and discussing it, with no agenda. Pro and Scorpio threads bring out the crazies with all kinds of unrealistic dreams and wishes and sure maybe Inuhanyou demonstrates an odd dedication to keep those expectations in check but you're saying it as if this person has some kind of secret agenda of wanting dreams to be crushed which simply isn't the case.

the fact that you get so hung up on this person's interests in these threads and their responses speaks more to your own personal agenda and hopes than Inuhanyou IMO

cilonen

I have a 2012 vintage i7 2600K clocked to 4.2 GHz - below min Rift specs - coupled to a 1080 and the CPU is absolutely fine with VR.

MilkyJoe

I've been in these iterative console threads for awhile, maybe too long, and Inuhanyou strikes me as someone only interested in the subject and discussing it, with no agenda. Pro and Scorpio threads bring out the crazies with all kinds of unrealistic dreams and wishes and sure maybe Inuhanyou demonstrates an odd dedication to keep those expectations in check but you're saying it as if this person has some kind of secret agenda of wanting dreams to be crushed which simply isn't the case.

the fact that you get so hung up on this person's interests in these threads and their responses speaks more to your own personal agenda and hopes than Inuhanyou IMO

Read back to where that started

Huh?

VR is only CPU dependent in certain cases like all other types of games. PSVR has to run on jaguar remember.

Do we class PSVR as high fidelity VR? Im only going by the terminology that MS themselves have used around Scorpio.

I have a 2012 vintage i7 2600K clocked to 4.2 GHz - below min Rift specs - coupled to a 1080 and the CPU is absolutely fine with VR.

Pardon my ignorance but how does that compare to what's in the PS4 and XB1, around the same, worse or better?

Inuhanyou

:l Don't fight over me guys, its embarrassing.

I'm just sayin that what we have in writing is Lisa Su ruling out Zen semi custom solutions for 2017. People keep trying to bring up weird pretzel logic to see it happen and its just stretching things too far.

There's a difference between guessing and making educated hypothesis, and if Zen was in Scorpio, we'd surely have way more concrete info about that being a possibility than we do now, in which it is very unlikely

Do we class PSVR as high fidelity VR? Im only going by the terminology that MS themselves have used around Scorpio.

Pardon my ignorance but how does that compare to what's in the PS4 and XB1, around the same, worse or better?

"High fidelity" VR is just a buzzword. More hardware power means better graphics, visuals and better possibilities by default. VR is VR.

That CPU is generations above jaguar in terms of power.

cilonen

Honestly? In some applications it's better than a Rift, and in others noticeably worse.

Rift is more consistent across games but it has a noticeable screen door. PSVR has OLED mura effect sparkles in darker scenes which aren't as noticeable (to me) and it actually feels higher res in some situations due to the reduced screen door. In some games - Driveclub especially - it's blurry and really disappointing but on the other hand Bound and Rez Infinite are better than anything I've played on Rift.

Neither really warrant the 'High Fidelity' label though. It's fairly obvious you're playing a visually cut down version of a game even on the Rift (even at High Quality in game settings). Elite Dangerous is amazing, but it's very clearly not the super clean picture I get on my monitor - so I find it hard to gauge how Microsoft are trying to spin 'High Fidelity' VR, in my experience the three non-smartphone headsets are visually really quite similar indeed, with their own minor positives and negatives.

Edit:

It's a tricky comparison to make - the 2600K even though it's old will trounce the CPU in the Jaguar APU in compute tasks but IIRC the Jaguar part has more cores so it punches slightly above it's weight more than it's raw speed numbers suggest. I think the Jaguar part is more comparable to the previous Nehalem generation of Intel Core processors than the Sandy Bridge 2600.

I have no clue about AMD's PC roadmap though - I'm sure there's probably a directly comparable part but I didn't follow what they were doing when I was building my PC.

bidguy

Banned

really ? because whenever someone even has a glimmer of hope for zen or simply says it might be possible, the dude comes swinging off his grapevine, high up in the sky where apparently you can see the future. is it so far fetched to believe it might be a slightly worse zen off shot ? some improvement over jaguar or puma but not quite zen ? why wouldnt ms be able to work with amd on such a thing ?

Hoo-doo

Banned
:l Don't fight over me guys, its embarrassing.

I'm just sayin that what we have in writing is Lisa Su ruling out Zen semi custom solutions for 2017. People keep trying to bring up weird pretzel logic to see it happen and its just stretching things too far.

There's a difference between guessing and making educated hypothesis, and if Zen was in Scorpio, we'd surely have way more concrete info about that being a possibility than we do now, in which it is very unlikely

A pessimistic (or realistic) view of upcoming console hardware is usually either ignored or hand-waved away until the very end.
People come to these threads mostly to be placated and reaffirmed of the device's enormous tech potential with theoreticals and speculation. At some point, hype takes over.

See the Wii-U and Switch tech threads for some examples. People will endlessly generate loopholes and theories on why that future box they intend to purchase is actually super duper powerful. News to the contrary often gets disregarded until it's from a very, very good source. It's a whole process and surely this isn't the first time you encounter it.

i7 2600K clocked at 4.2 GHz should be between 300 and 400% of the ps4 pro cpu
but maybe i totally underestimate the 2600k here and the cpu is over 5 times as fast!?

http://www.notebookcheck.com/AMD-A-Series-A6-5200-Notebook-Prozessor.92876.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.com/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-Desktop-Prozessor.88769.0.html

AmyS

0025rs12.jpg

What a tease.

cilonen

Thanks for the replies folks, I wonder if MS have put a noose around their neck with the way they have spoken about VR?

It's really the tracking and control solutions that make or break VR rather than the visuals. You can get away with reasonably simple visuals if the 'feel' of it is absolutely nailed.

If Microsoft can make a better tracking & control system than the PS Eye camera / Move controllers of PSVR they'll be fine - they should do a deal with Oculus and bundle Oculus' Touch controllers with whatever Scorpio VR is and they'll automatically be better than PSVR.

This thread makes it clear Spencer needs to tell people they're not using Zen.

Let's see if we can get him to talk

https://twitter.com/SomewhatGroovy/status/817081736060424192

This thing is seemingly still on schedule to arrive this year, no? By now, they should know what they're doing.

Not giving the info keeps people talking about it.

remember the xbox one s reveal?
we didn't know about a die shrink and some other improvements before a special digital foundry interview with albert penello

so don't expect any scorpio tech details before the timeframe close to launch

Top Bottom