• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio presentation pictured within AMD's Vega/Ryzen booth

Chobel

We'll see in a few months I guess.

My hunch is still sitting with a Ryzen variant for the CPU with a 480 based GPU. I'm aware of how unreasonable that may seem right now, but most of GAF responded the same way 2 years ago when I said Nintendo would go with a hybrid for their next console.

"But Nintendo said it won't be a hybrid"

"AMD said no semi custom ZEN before 2018"

Looking eerily similar.

The situations are not even remotely similar lol

Hoo-doo

Banned
Go back to those threads dude. Almost NO ONE believed it would be a hybrid. There was only a tiny handful of us on #teamhybrid. Despite how completely logical a step it was for Nintendo, absolutely no one believed it a possibility.

This is sitting in almost the same boat. Microsoft are not announcing a year and a half early to end up with a modest console. They are going to go all out and they are going to take a hit if need be. I actually think they threw the 6TF number out as a baseline. I think the final box will be more. How much more? I don't know. With the Surface team involved, nothing is out of the question.

The situations are not in any way comparable aside from 'GAF was wrong that one time'.

But sure.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The situations are not even remotely similar lol

Well, they kind of are.

I'm not fussed either way. It's ultimately going to be a giant upgrade on Xbox One, so I'll be buying either way. Even if it was only a modest upgrade I'd be buying it.

borges

Banned
Statham masterfully came into the PS4 sales thread from yesterday and derailed it by simply uttering the word Scorpio

hehe, got it now. Statham is cool, just a joke I guess :p
On topic, yeah, this thread makes no sense. Its just a PPT that was already there on AMD Dec presentation.

krang

Statham masterfully came into the PS4 sales thread from yesterday and derailed it by simply uttering the word Scorpio

Masterful is the word. So much disruption, anger and confusion because of single-word post, lol.

Perhaps only to be surpassed by Phil Spencer going on Twitter and tweeting "Zen".

dr_rus

They are not trolling, they just don't care. Scorpio will most certainly be based on an APU combining 2 quad core Jaguars with a Vega 11 GPU. It makes zero sense to use Zen in a console which must be fully compatible - both backwards and forwards - with Xbox One.

She has stated multiple times folks that semicustom zen architecture is not in their plans until beyond the 2017 timeframe. She said it in November, and on separate occasions before that. I don't how you go from 'beyond 2017' into 'we don't know' territory.

Seems pretty open and shut.

She could have just said no Zen in any semi custom design at all in 2017. When she talks about roadmap it seems she is just being vague (perhaps intentionally) which is why I think people are still hung up on that.

Scorpio will have Zen and Vega. That's my story and I'm sticking it to it till Scorpio launches.

lalalala.gif

anothertech

She could have just said no Zen in any semi custom design at all in 2017. When she talks about roadmap it seems she is just being vague (perhaps intentionally) which is why I think people are still hung up on that.
She mentioned 2018/19 directly. Can't be much more clear than that.

Electret

Nothing MS has said to its partners indicates that kind of increase in CPU power.

Another valuable piece of information suggesting no Zen, but some will nevertheless find a way to toss it aside. Evidence and logic be damned!

We may even expeculate that MS proposedly postpone Scorpio to be able to use zen... it even makes sense because given xbox one poor sales if it was not for this reason from a business stand point they were more pressed to put a revised xbox in the market sooner than Sony. .

No point in that. They'd be pushing their .5 console closer back into PS5 territory.

Let's just say they postpone it till sometime 2018. PS5 releases 2019/20. It's too risky as MS would then have to either release at the same time a brand new Xbox after only 1/2 years, or let Sony take a year plus sales with no competiton, plus I don't think publishers would be too happy.

Anyway, Zen is not happening in Scorpio.

8 core Jaguar CPU paired with a Vega GPU and 12GB RAM is realistic.

Nachtmaer

Still don't think it's impossible they will manage to get it into Scorpio and just aren't saying as much yet. Late 2017 is very close to 2018 after all.

Scorpio's chip probably takes like a year to test/validate. Throw in an extra few months to go into production. So let's say it was finised last summer. Now, Zen is a brand new architecture that is releasing in the upcoming months. Zen-based APUs are releasing late this year, if at all. All of this was happening while they were still working getting their actual first Zen CPU out the door. There is no way a big SoC with a completely different memory controller, huge-ass GPU (relatively speaking) and said brand new architecture is happening this year.

ethomaz

Banned
Masterful is the word. So much disruption, anger and confusion because of single-word post, lol.

Perhaps only to be surpassed by Phil Spencer going on Twitter and tweeting "Vega".
You mean Zen? Because the GPU will have Vega features but not all.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Scorpio will have Zen and Vega. That's my story and I'm sticking it to it till Scorpio launches.

See, it's dumb shit like this here that propagates the problem and stifles discussion. Some people are just too invested in their console being 'top dog' that any evidence to the contrary will just fall on deaf ears.

It will have a beefed up Jaguar with the 32MB eSRAM providing a healthy amount of dedicated fast cache. That's my wild theory, which is much more sane than using Zen. IMO

ethomaz

Banned
It will have a beefed up Jaguar with the 32MB eSRAM providing a healthy amount of dedicated fast cache. That's my wild theory, which is much more sane than using Zen.
With 320GB/s GDDR5X the eSRAM cache is useless... to be fair is it even slower than RAM... unless maybe eDRAM at 1TB/s.

See, it's dumb shit like this here that propagates the problem and stifles discussion. Some people are just too invested in their console being 'top dog' that any evidence to the contrary will just fall on deaf ears.

Why dumb shit? The man can't have his opinion? By the way what "evidence" was brought here stating the contrary?

Javin98

Banned
Nothing MS has said to its partners indicates that kind of increase in CPU power.
There it is! Perhaps this time all the baseless speculations and unrealistic hopes and dreams will stop...... Who am I kidding? This happens every time with every new console launch, only for many people to get disappointed.

With 320GB/s GDDR5X the eSRAM cache is useless... to be fair is it even slower than RAM... unless maybe eDRAM at 1TB/s.

Not necessarily. It may be needed for ease of compatibility with current XB1 games, plus the 360 emulator etc.

Then in 'Scorpio mode' the whole 32MB of eSRAM is dedicated to the CPU, not the GPU. Which in turn gets most of the GDDR5 bandwidth to itself.

That's 109+ GB/s for the CPU alone, far more than the XB1 has right now. And also frees up more bandwidth for the GPU.

Genius design!

AmyS

Could Scorpio use two jaguar CPUs? Would this be better than one Zen CPU?

The PS4, Xbox One, Xbox One S and PS4 Pro already use 2 clusters of 4 Jaguar cores each, 8 cores in total.

I don't think doubling that again would be feasible, practical or useful.

All we know about Scorpio at this point is it will have 8 CPU cores, a 6TF GPU and 320 GB/sec bandwidth.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why dumb shit? The man can't have his opinion? By the way what "evidence" was brought here stating the contrary?

You can find examples on this very page. Come on.
Lisa Su's statement gets hand-waved away and people are reaching at straws trying to dismiss it. Just like Matt's comment on the CPU power will likely get ignored in lieu of dreams of the Scorpio being all-powerful.

I mean. I get it. People want the most powerful package they can get with the latest tech. But they fail to realize that it's not them behind the wheel of this massive company trying to make profit on console hardware in a few months. There's so much more at play than just a GFLOP count and market realities often lead to necessary compromises in the console's hardware design. It's inevitable. Power really isn't the only concern, yet it is the only thing people go nuts for in threads like these.

It HAS to be powerful and have the newest tech, and anything saying otherwise will just get ignored. Don't you see how weird that kind of behaviour is?

this guy get's it
usual investor call talk

"Well, I think, if you look today at the semi-custom business, it's been primarily game console driven. And it's been again very, very pleased with the franchise that we've built around that. We do have engagements outside of game consoles, and that will ramp, let's call it, more in the 2018 timeframe. The other thing you should expect is I talked about our Zen roadmap for our products, so in terms of desktops servers and notebooks. But one should expect Zen in our semi-custom roadmap as well as we go – as we look beyond 2017 into the '18, '19 timeframe. And so, we really do view this as we're developing foundational IP that can go into a number of different markets. And we have good prospects in those areas"

it's totally possible, that she is talking about pure Zen CPU semi custom Chips for non gaming purpose. it's just way to vague and unspecific to make "scorpio will have -" or "scorpio won't have zen technology in its semi custom soc" out of that
that is at least my point of view on this matter

Eight core Ryzen is even more power hungry. If MS hadn't already publicly said they were putting an eight core CPU in Scorpio I could see some variation of Ryzen making it but the power envelope just doesn't work. On top of that, 4K is their main concern with Scorpio so they would be better served focusing on the GPU and RAM bandwidth, which is what it seems like they're doing. I think Scorpio will be a very nice upgrade but it's still within the same gen.

Ryzen is not power hungry. Ryzen is power efficient. you just don't clock a console version at 3.5ghz or above. Zen is the new AMD architecture for everything. from Ultra low power to server products...
diesize is the question and biggest concern.

Could Scorpio use two jaguar CPUs? Would this be better than one Zen CPU?
no sure if serious, but not
jaguar is a slow ancient cpu technology that is just bad no matter how you scale it

Top Bottom