• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Nintendo acknowledges Joycon connectivity issues.

In its first detailed acknowledgment of connectivity issues that some gamers are having with its new console’s controllers, Nintendo has offered suggestions—some of them incredible—about how to alleviate the problem.

Nintendo advises that people don’t put the Switch behind a TV, near an aquarium or “within three to four feet of another wireless device, such as a wireless speaker or a wireless access point.” Doing so can disrupt the signal the console sends to its detachable Joy-Con controllers.

The advice appears on a new page on Nintendo’s support site titled: “Joy-Con Not Responding Or Responding Incorrectly When Used Wirelessly.”

The page describes the exact kind of problems that some Kotaku staffers and other members of the games media have been reporting about the Joy-Con for the last week:

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-advises-switch-owners-with-joy-con-connectivit-1792952354

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22513/p/897

Ensure your console has the latest system update.
Ensure the Joy-Con controllers are charged. How to
Try to decrease the distance between the Joy-Con and the Nintendo Switch console.
Ensure that the Nintendo Switch console is placed to minimize interference with the Joy-Con. It is best if the Nintendo Switch console is placed out in the open and that it is not:
Behind a TV
Near an aquarium
Placed in or under a metal object
Pressed against a large amount of wires and cords
Within three to four feet of another wireless device, such as a wireless speaker or a wireless access point.
Check for possible sources of interference and turn them off. Interference can be caused by devices, such as:
Laptops, tablets, etc.
Wireless headsets
Wireless printers
Microwaves
Wireless speakers
Cordless phones
USB 3.0-compatible devices such as hard drives, thumb drives, LAN adapters, etc.
In most cases it will be enough to move these devices three to four feet away from the Nintendo Switch console and/or Joy-Con controllers. However, if you continue to experience this issue, please power these devices off while using the Nintendo Switch console.

Mine hasn't completely gone away since the update but it's a lot better. It's a shame this has happened though, I'm not quite sure how this got through QA.

DVCY201

Now I know I can't play Zelda while watching the fishes at the aquarium :(

This console, boy. Dunno what's going on, but these issues are frustrating even if I'm still really excited for it

kunonabi

Yup, revision better come sooner than later. I can't believe that hideous dock cant even do its actual job properly.

Rellik

So Nintendo is telling me to never buy one then because there's no room for it with those guidelines lol.

Honestly all of those suggestions are completely reasonable for 2.4Ghz bluetooth connected devices...such as JoyCons

Is there a different tech they could have used that wouldn't be susceptible to this kind of interference? I thought everyone has been trying to get away from 2.4 for that exact reason.

Mr-Joker

Banned
However, if you continue to experience this issue, please power these devices off while using the Nintendo Switch console.

Nintendo I love ya man but I am not gonna do that every time I pick up the Switch.

For the record I did suffer from slight desync issue but it comes and goes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This caused me to skyrocket off a Sheikah tower to my doom earlier today. Really, really irritating.

How this wasn't caught in testing is beyond me.

EhoaVash

ygSkiEJ.jpg

lol

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I found the aquarium mention amusing. But it makes sense as water absorbs bluetooth signals.

So that's why the dock doesn't have USB 3.0

Edit: I guess it does. Not even gonna say I feel dumb for assuming, it's fucking Nintendo.

Maybe try changing some of the channel of those devices that are also on 2.4. Microwaves and aquariums are another matter.

Basically use it in handheld mode.

DJ_Lae

Hopefully it can be fixed with a revision or update, then.

I know Microsoft had an issue for the longest time with some people having random controller disconnects with the Xbox One, and at some point they managed to fix it (I haven't had a problem in over a year). Their own checklist was similar to that - basically, move it out by itself and turn off every other source of interference you can think of.

Which always seemed a bit silly, as other devices used similar means of communication for their controllers and didn't suffer from the same problem even when surrounded by other things firing out signal interference.

Afrodium

Banned
The system has to be vertical when docked and it's too tall to fit in the horizontal compartments with my other consoles. I really don't want it front and center in my entertainment center, so behind the TV it goes. At least I plan on playing with a pro controller most of the time.

4 feet from a wireless device..lol

Well good thing i didnt find one..there isnt a room here without a wirless device, including the bathroom.

blamite

Will fuck me, I was gonna put my dock literally directly behind my TV and like for inches away from a router. 😂 Guess I need to make some other plans...

So that's why the dock doesn't have USB 3.0

The dock does have 3.0, next to the HDMI and power.

Anyway, a real shame it has this issue. It was working fine for me but when I took it downstairs for my brother to play we came across some issues. It was fixed by moving the dock a bit closer but it was still a slight hassle that just doesn't instil confidence.

However, if you continue to experience this issue, please power these devices off while using the Nintendo Switch console.

Yeah come on people, turn off your aquariums before playing the Switch, ffs!

Don't put the switch within three or four feet of a wireless device? I don't know maybe like a phone??

I can't remember if it was the Xbox One controller or the PS4 (can't be bothered to go through my post history), but I had terrible issues with it having input lag. I realised it was because my phone was in my pocket really close to the controller and my coffee table was blocking line of sight to the console. The conroller wireless signal has been shoddy this gen.

Top Bottom