• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Nintendo acknowledges Joycon connectivity issues.

Apathy

ygSkiEJ.jpg

lol

lol always on point.

Ensure your console has the latest system update.
Ensure the Joy-Con controllers are charged. How to
Try to decrease the distance between the Joy-Con and the Nintendo Switch console.
Ensure that the Nintendo Switch console is placed to minimize interference with the Joy-Con. It is best if the Nintendo Switch console is placed out in the open and that it is not:
Behind a TV
Near an aquarium
Placed in or under a metal object
Pressed against a large amount of wires and cords
Within three to four feet of another wireless device, such as a wireless speaker or a wireless access point.
Check for possible sources of interference and turn them off. Interference can be caused by devices, such as:
Laptops, tablets, etc.
Wireless headsets
Wireless printers
Microwaves
Wireless speakers
Cordless phones
USB 3.0-compatible devices such as hard drives, thumb drives, LAN adapters, etc.
In most cases it will be enough to move these devices three to four feet away from the Nintendo Switch console and/or Joy-Con controllers. However, if you continue to experience this issue, please power these devices off while using the Nintendo Switch console.
VTCU63k.jpg

The dock does have 3.0, next to the HDMI and power.

Anyway, a real shame it has this issue. It was working fine for me but when I took it downstairs for my brother to play we came across some issues. It was fixed by moving the dock a bit closer but it was still a slight hassle that just doesn't instil confidence.
That's not USB 3.0 yet. It will be after "a future update" apparently

Uhyve

Can you buy TVs without WiFi these days?

All the non-nintendo devices by my TV are actually wired, could be why I've had no issues at all.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I knew that installing a wireless router in my aquarium for the fishes' smartphones might end up being a bad idea. Now I have to buy a new house in the middle of the desert for the Switch.

Sigh. Yea, launch issues gonna be launch issues. I still believe this is symptomatic of some cheap hardware bein used to power the BT connection, either in the console or the controllers. Hopefully a firmware update can increase the signal? But I'm not optimistic.

antonz

Its not limited to Joycons. Signal issues when you have too many devices on the same frequency has existed forever. Nintendo should have considered alternatives but at the same time it is not like there are a lot of those.

I thought someone was going to mention that before ceo.

I do want a switch and I probably would use pro controller most often and never the joy con. But incase I did it seems ok to wait for them to fix some of the issues.

Ssseth

Neo Member
Well crap.

Has anyone confirmed this problem is only for the joycons and doesn't effect the pro controller? I'm planning on getting one anyway since a bulk of my time will be docked.

DavidDesu

This.. doesn't sound amazing to be honest. I was hoping it'd be a flaw with the power of the signal that they could rectify but this sounds like the thing is just handicapped. They better revise the controllers and/or Switch to fix this but I fear early adopters will be screwed. I'm really looking forward to using the Joycons separated, looks comfy and relaxing.. but I worry I'll get this and just feel like I can't use that setup reliably.

Vitacat

This is not acceptable.

I bought a Switch, 5 games, and a Pro controller. I really, seriously love this system, and believe in it. But Nintendo needs to do the right thing and revise the left joycon to be as reliable as the right one, and send out replacements to early adopters.

Anything less will leave a long-standing black mark in Nintendo's reputation. Address it swiftly and make things right, and people will remember that Nintendo treated their customers with respect.
Well crap.

Has anyone confirmed this problem is only for the joycons and doesn't effect the pro controller? I'm planning on getting one anyway since a bulk of my time will be docked.
The Pro controller, which I own and have used quite a bit since last night, is fantastic and does not have these issues.

The right joycon is also not a problem in normal use (i.e. people had to try much harder to get it to lose wireless integrity). It's oddly just the left joycon that has a real issue.

Having said all that, I find the Switch best used with the Pro in console mode irregardless of the left joycon issue. Even if the left joycon had no issue, the Pro controller is the way to play most games when gaming on your TV. In handheld mode, the joycons have no problem at all. And arguably in tabletop mode they still have no problem, because you're not going to be more than 2-3 feet away from the tablet in that mode anyway.

NOTE: I have NOT experienced any joycon issue myself. But I have also not yet used the joycons in tv mode. When I do play 2 player games on tv with my wife at some point, we'll see how they do.

Cynn

Hopefully it can be fixed with a revision or update, then.

If it could be fixed with an update Nintendo would have said they were working on an update. When they tell you to turn off your phone and move the fish tank, you're boned till a new version of the console.

Tagyhag

I wonder how profound the issue is.

Either way, wonder what those here that were saying there was zero wrong with the controllers and it was all user error (Mind you, before they even bought the damn thing) are thinking now.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Its not limited to Joycons. Signal issues when you have too many devices on the same frequency has existed forever. Nintendo should have considered alternatives but at the same time it is not like there are a lot of those.

Um. PlayStation and Xbox have been using this tech fit years without issue, soooo.....

NSESN

I just hope Nintendo changes their online solutions after this, they can't put huge part of the service behind something that isn't recommended by themselves.

This.. doesn't sound amazing to be honest. I was hoping it'd be a flaw with the power of the signal that they could rectify but this sounds like the thing is just handicapped. They better revise the controllers and/or Switch to fix this but I fear early adopters will be screwed. I'm really looking forward to using the Joycons separated, looks comfy and relaxing.. but I worry I'll get this and just feel like I can't use that setup reliably.

I have my switch dock about 4 inches from my Asus router and played split joycons last night with no issues. I think it's a troubleshooting recommendation not a warning on how to use it.

Top Bottom