• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Nintendo acknowledges Joycon connectivity issues.

Bouniter

Good thing we don't have to use our phones for party chat.

The phone required for voice chat no less!

Quite literally my first thought when I read this and don't forget you will need it for matchmaking in online games as well. So I'm meant to play multilplayer games without even being able to join the multiplayer games cause I can't have my phone near by? Nintendo WTF are you doing?

Dmax3901

I've been playing Zelda for ages now using the joycons attached to the grip that comes with the Switch. Zero issues whatsoever and the switch is surrounded by my PS4 pro, Wii U, smart TV all which are connected wirelessly. The router itself is less than a metre away. Again, no issues whatsoever.

Boke1879

Just got my switch and hooked it all up. Played Shovel Knight on my TV and loved it. I play close to my TV though. This shit is fucking unacceptable though. They can't fix it? This had to have been caught and testing and they just didn't care.

They fully expect people to mostly play this on the go honestly.

Either way, wonder what those here that were saying there was zero wrong with the controllers and it was all user error (Mind you, before they even bought the damn thing) are thinking now.

There's no hope for them, they will still think it is user error and that Nintendo is never wrong.

I was about to ask what issue did the iphone have until I read the url (it was the antenna one).

Yep, the classic "you're holding it wrong, get a case" response from Jobs.

Quite literally my first thought when I read this and don't forget you will need it for matchmaking in online games as well. So I'm meant to play multilplayer games without even joining the multiplayer games? Nintendo WTF are you doing?
How are people still confused about the phone app, lol

Petrae

So is this an issue that could be considered a defect and allow for a full refund/return at retail?

DjRalford

Did they purposefully wait until launch day to release this info? Because if so, damn, lol.

you can be sure, i bet they've only issued it because they already had a lot of complaints in 24hrs as a lot of peoples setups will be a good few meters accross a living room with the switch dock likely near all worts of electronics.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
What do you mean? They're just reporting on an issue many people have been experiencing. Should they not report on it to inform people?

I personally haven't had that issue. I sit about 10 feet away from my switch that's on top of my mantle. It's a few feet away from my wireless router. To be fair I do not have an aquarium.

All I'm saying is that while I'm sure there is an issue, to read their articles you'd think it was literally every single person ever.

DJ_Lae

If it could be fixed with an update Nintendo would have said they were working on an update. When they tell you to turn off your phone and move the fish tank, you're boned till a new version of the console.

Possibly, but it just reads like a laundry list of things to do to avoid wireless interference. Microsoft did the same thing with the One controllers and somehow managed to fix it via update later on. It all depends on the actual reason for the problem, which I'm not even sure that Nintendo is certain of yet.

Boke1879

Did they purposefully wait until launch day to release this info? Because if so, damn, lol.

Of course. They knew of this before hand. Kinda crappy to just now release a statement on it. Personally I'd reccomend the Pro controller simply because TO ME with the joy cons attached to the controller thing it still feels kinda small.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Turn off your Smart TV and all devices in your entertainment center. That'll fix it.

renzolama

Yes, that's exactly what they did. Nintendo continues to be, by far, the most anti-consumer company in gaming and still somehow preserves the image of being the most friendly and considerate for its fans. Watch the apologist response in the coming days, it's amazing.

Just get some string or tiny chains and hang the dock from your ceiling like a chandelier, right above your tv or entertainment center. That should give you a few feet apart from your other wireless devices and fishtanks.

There's no way they didn't know about this well before launch, and are just now saying something about it?

And it's to the effect of 'We're sorry they're busted please keep them away from literally any device with a wireless signal cause we're not replacing them lol'.

HunteronX

Banned
I've been playing Zelda for ages now using the joycons attached to the grip that comes with the Switch. Zero issues whatsoever and the switch is surrounded by my PS4 pro, Wii U, smart TV all which are connected wirelessly. The router itself is less than a metre away. Again, no issues whatsoever.

Same here - 2.4GHz Wireless router right next to my docked switch.

NSESN

So is this an issue that could be considered a defect and allow for a full refund/return at retail?

It depends, if you can't play by no means like some did (I think the wired reviewer) it deserves at least a free joy-con change, otherwise I don't think Nintendo will care, they didn't do anything about the OG 3DS problems that resulted in Amazon US not selling Nintendo hardware for a time.

Hale-XF11

Anything less will leave a long-standing black mark in Nintendo's reputation. Address it swiftly and make things right, and people will remember that Nintendo treated their customers with respect.

Nintendo will either sweep this under the rug (like they are currently doing) or will ask for an exorbitant amount of money through their customer service hotline to "fix" the issue. I guarantee it.

Lux R7

This is why Nintendo was advertising all those rooftop parties, right?

tumblr_inline_mqjvoqnAJg1qz4rgp.gif

Scrawnton

My Switch is 4 feet away from my wireless router and I have it sitting in top of a wireless sub woofer and I played Zelda for 7 hours today and I had zero syncing issue.

Branduil

I tried recreating the gamexplain issue with my own joycons and wasn't able to at all. If some are still having issues, it makes me think there must be a bad batch. Nintendo needs to respond much better than they have so far.

Im staring at my unopened switch with a copy of zelda for switch and wii u...think I'll just return the switch and hope they do a revision or have a fix for this

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Very disappointing Nintendo sat on this until now.

There are really are two Nintendos ('Good/evil') as Edge once put it.

DjRalford

I had hopes before this announcement, now it looks Nintendo will try to sweep this under the rag.

If they want mass appeal they can't afford to do that, coming off the back of WiiU's faliure they needed to hit the ground running so if they're smart they'll find a way to fix this sooner rather than later, be it through a update or hardware swap.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My Switch is 4 feet away from my wireless router and I have it sitting in top of a wireless sub woofer and I played Zelda for 7 hours today and I had zero syncing issue.

Is it really that difficult to understand that your personal anecdotal lack of issues is totally irrelevant in a thread that talks about Nintendo acknowledging that a ton of things can actually create issues with the joycons?

Or you just want to rub it in the faces of those who have issues?

If they want mass appeal they can't afford to do that, coming off the back of WiiU's faliure they needed to hit the ground running so if they're smart they'll find a way to fix this sooner rather than later, be it through a update or hardware swap.

They would have mentioned an update if it was software fixable. This is unacceptable and anyone who bought a switch should take it back immediately.

moai

Is it really that difficult to understand that your personal anecdotal lack of issues is totally irrelevant in a thread that talks about Nintendo acknowledging that a ton of things can actually create issues with the joycons?

Or you just want to rub it in the faces of those who have issues?

Why so hostile?

Top Bottom