• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Zelda Breath of the Wild "Wii U" Vs. "Switch"

TheZink

https://youtu.be/9yFON2UON3k

Pretty similar except for resolution.

Should you upgrade from Wii U to Switch for the optimal Zelda experience? We'd say that depends on how you play it... running in portable mode solves all of Switch's performance issues and pushes it to the front of the pack. Overall though, Wii U owners are still getting a great game

Vash63

"That's" a pretty good "turnout" overall. I "wonder" if they can improve docked performance with "patches" but it hasn't been a big deal for me so far.

Durante

It's nice that there don't appear to be significant asset downgrades in the Wii U version -- that means that at some point in the future (whether that's weeks, months or years) it should be possible to play the game with great IQ and performance in CEMU.

It's nice that there don't appear to be significant asset downgrades in the Wii U version -- that means that at some point in the future (whether that's weeks, months or years) it should be possible to play the game with great IQ and performance in CEMU.

Indeed.

Cerium

The drops do irk me on the TV but I find I prefer the big screen overall for a game like this.

Of course that doesn't stop me from bringing the Switch to my desk and playing some in tabletop mode.

Saving £280 convinced me to get the WiiU version.

The frame drops are very noticeable and I'm usually not that bothered about stuff like that.

Griss

Well, I'm glad I didn't have a massively inferior experience on Wii U.

At the same time, what I'm really interested in is their analysis of the trouble spots later on. Really looking forward to that video.

UrbanRats

Can't come soon enough, Jesus Christ those performance are horrid.

TheZink

I'm really enjoying playing Zelda on the Wii U gamepad.
My gamepad broke yesterday. I'm kinda bummed because that's how I wanted to play it. Just developed a bunch of lines vertically in the screen. I never even use the thing.

Right now all games perform worse on Cemu. Perhaps in some future it will be better.

Nonetheless it's a bit disgusting that the Cemu guy "works hard" to get Zelda runnable on Cemu. It's a new game and he provides a tool to play the pirated version.

Sounds like a really minor difference. I'm happy for wii U owners, would have been a shame. While I have a Wii U, I'm sticking with switch for the portable mode.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That was really interesting. Wii U dropping frames when loading a huge scenery is quite normal considering the limitations of it, but Switch doing so in relatively normal scenes but where there is a lot of action (tall grass moving, enemies etc.).

I'm glad I got the Switch for it to be honest, sure the performance in docked is bad but it doesn't bother me too much. Plus being able to take it on the go is a great feature.

Myriadis

Yeah the WiiU runs pretty well considering the stuff you can do and how dynamic everything is. But it has its problems in the villages framerate-wise, like fairly often around 20FPS. An unfortunate but ultimately small blight on a extremely majestic and awesome game for me.

Here's hoping that at least the switch version get a framerate patch because I think it can handle it.

Ahasverus

Nonetheless it's a bit disgusting that the Cemu guy "works hard" to get Zelda runnable on Cemu. It's a new game and he provides a tool to play the pirated version.
People still must have the game though. That wouldn't be an issue if Nintendo had released a technically competent game.

nkarafo

I get the resolution and texture filtering will be great. But how will CEMU improve the performance?

Not this again

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Right now all games perform worse on Cemu. Perhaps in some future it will be better.

This whole post is so ridiculous.

trixx

I opened my switch copy for no reason 😑

I bought the switch version for little to no reason

I have to admit that whenever i watch a BoTW video i can't help but feel disgusted by how it looks (i know.. sounds a bit harsh, but it's true for me. Starting up Twilight Princess almost made me feel sick to my stomach. Enjoyed the hell out of the game though). Zelda deserves so much better. So do the artists who worked on the game.

I think DF needs to check out the villages. I hear there are framedrops there run into the 15 fps.

nampad

First of all, emulation isn't the same as piracy. Secondly, you can already pirate the game on Wii U.

Sounds alright, I honestly thought the performance gap would be wider, particularly after all those videos that compared old footage and the supposed lighting differences.

720p in handheld seems the best way to play though, pity for such an expansive game.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
So little to no noticeable difference in audio quality, not a large difference in IQ (IQ for this game is low regardless of what you do), framerate of both the Wii U and docked Switch are pretty inconsistent (and both get locked to 20fps at different situations, though reason is not known) and overall, in terms of performance, it's approximately Handheld Switch > Docked Switch = Wii U.
Considering the next game that piqued my interest comes out at the end of 2017, I might as well get the Wii U version. I hate handhelds and am rarely, if ever, going to use handheld switch anyway.
This is not accurate, because Switch docked version is running at 900p, the Switch version is the best version, you can choose just as bad framerate and superior resolution, or same resolution and steady framerate. WiiU is worse in both cases.

The only reason why you would buy the WiiU version is you already own a WiiU (duh!) or that you find the QOL stuff from the gamepad so good you can't live without those (are there any QOL improvements on WiiU?).

ekim

Don't people mainly complain about baaaaad performance in Villages later in the game on the WiiU version?

Durante

Right now all games perform worse on Cemu.
This is not true if you have a sufficiently fast PC and use host timing.

First of all, emulation is very hard work, so putting those scare quotes makes no sense. Secondly, if CEMU is a "tool to play the pirated version" then so is a Wii U -- and it's a much easier and more effective one at this point.

I get the resolution and texture filtering will be great. But how will CEMU improve the performance?
Modern high-level emulation isn't remotely cycle-accurate, so it's perfectly possible for the emulated platform to run the game at 30 FPS in situations where the hardware platform drops frames.

Jarmel

Banned
It feels like they either did an exceptional job with the Wii U version or the Switch is a pisspoor step up from the U. There's no visual difference essentially other than the resolution and the Switch can't even maintain a better framerate.

Cheerilee

So...

The vast majority of the game is the same across all platforms.

Switch in portable mode = 720p on a 720p handheld. Steady 30 fps.

Switch in docked mode = 900p upscaled to 1080p. Some framerate drops.

Wii U = 720p upscaled to 1080p. An entirely different but similar set of framerate drops.

Switch has a little bit better graphical performance. Either no framerate drops in handheld mode, or slightly increased resolution in docked mode.

trixx

This is not accurate, because Switch docked version is running at 900p, the Switch version is the best version, you can choose just as bad framerate and superior resolution, or same resolution and steady framerate. WiiU is worse in both cases.

The only reason why you would buy the WiiU version is you already own a WiiU (duh!) or that you find the QOL stuff from the gamepad so good you can't live without those (are there any QOL improvements on WiiU?).
No they took it out. If you have a pro controller on Wii u or Wii remote+ nunchuck, is probably more comfortable than playing with the joy cons though

Midda

Neo Member
In my experience on Switch docked, the framerate dips became far less frequent after leaving the Great Plateau. Playing all day today, I noticed frame drops maybe once an hour, and they'd only last for a few seconds.

Of course it'd be better if they never happened at all, but it's rare enough that it's not an issue. Didn't notice any issues in towns, either.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I played Zelda on my Switch just in handheld mode until now being away from home for the weekend. And like that it runs wonderfully.

Maybe I should play it like this also going forward and play once more on the big screen once CEMU runs it decently.

Don't people mainly complain about baaaaad performance in Villages later in the game on the WiiU version?

DF will cover the later part of the game in a follow up article.

Terrorblot

It feels like they either did an exceptional job with the Wii U version or the Switch is a pisspoor step up from the U. There's no visual difference essentially other than the resolution and the Switch can't even maintain a better framerate.

The Switch is a handheld tablet, what kind of performance are you expecting?

oni-link

That video convinced me to grab the Wii U version.

Same, now if only I could find a copy

Edit: If you use Amazon to buy via another seller (Amazon would let me buy Zelda from The Game Collection, for example) can I still use Amazon vouchers against the purchase?

TLZ

Banned
Zelda switch docked performance is just unacceptable. If the portable is a constant 720p30 then I automatically expect the docked mode to be superior. This is wrong.

Hermii

The former is way more likely. They made the decision to port to Switch last spring, and the game is pushing the Wii U more than any other game. It's a gta5 ps360 level techical achievement on Wii U.

Myriadis

No, the performance is abysmal, if this were a Ubisoft game it would be getting torn to shreds for how bad it runs.

No, I actually have the WiiU version. Most of the time it runs well. The villages are definitely the weakpoint tho.

Guymelef

Well, at least there is somebody working hard on Zelda performance...

Top Bottom