• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Zelda Breath of the Wild "Wii U" Vs. "Switch"

Well, at lest there is somebody working hard on Zelda performance...

o5yIXk4.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Neither has particularly good AA? They have no AA.

SOR5

I want to wait till i get the Switch, even though im glad the Wii U version is more than sufficient

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Source? Direct feed material clearly showed post AA being used.

I'm just looking at the video. The steps are immediate.

KevinG

I've played for 5 hours on the Switch (4.5 docked, .5 handheld) and while there have been frame drops, they've not been a hinderence to the beauty of the game and they are few and far between.

nOoblet16

Right now all games perform worse on Cemu. Perhaps in some future it will be better.

Nonetheless it's a bit disgusting that the Cemu guy "works hard" to get Zelda runnable on Cemu. It's a new game and he provides a tool to play the pirated version.
Erm what?

You do realise that working on an emulator does not mean "pirated version!!" right? The people who work on it use their own console and game and emulation is fully legal, so is dumping files from your WiiU

Davey Cakes

Nice. This reinforces my decision to wait on a Switch and jump into Zelda right now on Wii U. I'm glad the experience is close.

TLZ

Banned
I've played for 5 hours on the Switch (4.5 docked, .5 handheld) and while there have been frame drops, they've not been a hinderence to the beauty of the game and they are few and far between.

Sorry, but no they're not.

TLZ

Banned
Right now all games perform worse on Cemu. Perhaps in some future it will be better.

Nonetheless it's a bit disgusting that the Cemu guy "works hard" to get Zelda runnable on Cemu. It's a new game and he provides a tool to play the pirated version.

I find it a bit disgusting you accusing the guy.

At least the guy cares enough and puts effort for a better version.

Ninja Dom

I find it a bit disgusting you accusing the guy.

At least the guy cares enough and puts effort for a better version.

When did the guy started putting the effort in? Wii U version was only officially available from yesterday.

KevinG

Sorry, but no they're not.

In my experience they are. I'm sensitive to these things, and notice every time, but especially when I got off of the opening area, I'm noticing the drops significantly less. It might be how I'm playing, as I don't quick pan the camera very often, and I'm mostly just exploring without messing with too many enemies.

Game is beautiful.

Edit: I don't want to diminish that there are real performance issues with the game, but nowhere near of an issue that I anticipated during the lead up to launch.

Chinbo37

There is always one holier than thou post in every thread that remotely mentions emulation. It's getting so tiring.

I own a Wii u and a retail copy of BotW. So I shouldn't be able to play a better version of this game on my PC?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully they fix it soon, this isn't how I want to experience the game.

RK9039

There is always one holier than thou post in every thread that remotely mentions emulation. It's getting so tiring.

I own a Wii u and a retail copy of BotW. So I shouldn't be able to play a better version of this game on my PC?

Yup, pretty much the only reason I bought it on WiiU. At some point I'll be playing the game on my PC.

My fear is that Nintendo will just focus on patches for the Switch, and leave us Wii U owners in the dust.

I was gonna play it this weekend, but I'll wait for performance enhancements... Either from patches, or when it runs on Cemu.

Erm what?

You do realise that working on an emulator does not mean "pirated version!!" right? The people who work on it use their own console and game and emulation is fully legal, so is dumping files from your WiiU

From what I've read on US laws with the Digital Millenium act , it's not the case because the only way to play personal back ups of Wii U games is to decrypt them and bypassing DRM/decryption is illegal now (but not the act of backing up itself, however that file would be useless in any case).

Xun

My fear is that Nintendo will just focus on patches for the Switch, and leave us Wii U owners in the dust.

I was gonna play it this weekend, but I'll wait for performance enhancements... Either from patches, or when it runs on Cemu.
This is my fear as well, but hopefully not.

It sounds like a lot most of the issues are caused by the VSync implementation, so hopefully things are finessed.

Xdrive05

So I played about 6 hours last night off the great plateau on Switch docked, and the game really smoothed out. I didn't notice any drops at all for that whole session, save for literally one second here or there in a certain town that will remain unnamed, and the same for a couple heavy wooded areas. It seems like most of the rest of the areas run at a totally locked 30fps. It's weird that the plateau has whole sections that will chug around 20 for 10 seconds plus. But it really clears up while exploring later in the game.

All of that said handheld mode is pure magic anyway. Yes the 900p does give you more resolution, and on a properly calibrated set will look technically better than handheld. But that "little" screen makes it look amazing at native 720p. There's no shame at all in playing the game entirely on the go, I'd say.

Having played the Wii U version and watched the first DF video on the Switch Docked vs Handheld mode, I thought it would run pretty similar to the Docked mode, as the game did stutter a lot in some places.

Can't fault handheld mode though, no stuttering at all so far.

kc44135

Fan anyone tell me how
Kakariko Village
is on Switch, performance wise? I'm there now on Wii U, and it's unbelievably awful. Depending on where you're turning the camera, it can turn in a sustained 20 FPS, and it just looks so bad. It's pretty unbearable to the point that I just want to leave despite how much I'm enjoying walking around, talking to everyone, doing side quests, etc. Is the Switch any better when it comes to towns/villages, etc.? The nearby
stables
were terrible in this regard as well.

mindsale

Fan anyone tell me how
Kakariko Village
is on Switch, performance wise? I'm there now on Wii U, and it's unbelievably awful. Depending on where you're turning the camera, it can turn in a sustained 20 FPS, and it just looks so bad. It's pretty unbearable to the point that I just want to leave despite how much I'm enjoying walking around, talking to everyone, doing side quests, etc. Is the Switch any better when it comes to towns/villages, etc.? The nearby
stables

In my experience the area has been fine.

It's mostly when there's nothing on the screen at all that you notice it slowing to a crawl on Switch. An empty field? A mountainous peak? Better stutter to a slideshow.

Alienous

The performance problems on Switch in docked mode is a shame. If there's one thing I can depend on a Nintendo game to be it's being technically sound.

If the only option for Wii U owners is docked mode like performance I think that's a problem. The Great Plateau is a slice of the BotW experience as a whole - villages and denser areas also cause significant dips in the docked mode's performance. If the Wii U suffers that in all modes that really sucks.

Meaty

It was mentioned on the video (1:10) that both versions would need scaling to our 1080p and 4k tvs.

Correct me if im wrong, but as far as im aware, 720p scales perfectly to 4k at a 9:1 pixel ratio. In theory if you are playing on a 4k tv, the wii u version should be better.

ec0ec0

having screens in the OP (or at least in the thread) showing how the switch dropps to 20fps for 5-10 seconds in areas the wiiu doesn't and vice versa would be a great addiction. There's no such pictures in the article and, if we had them in the OP, people who can't watch youtube could see it. If someone can take those :p

also, what happened to the filosofy of having stable frame rates over resolution, nintendo? Is it that the wiiu can't do better than that, so they made the docked switch version run similarly for parity!? because that would be a pretty crazy idea

KevinG

It was mentioned on the video (1:10) that both versions would need scaling to our 1080p and 4k tvs.

Correct me if im wrong, but as far as im aware, 720p scales perfectly to 4k at a 9:1 pixel ratio. In theory if you are playing on a 4k tv, the wii u version should be better.

So the 900p on the Switch won't look so good on my B6 this coming week?

kc44135

In my experience the area has been fine.

It's mostly when there's nothing on the screen at all that you notice it slowing to a crawl on Switch. An empty field? A mountainous peak? Better stutter to a slideshow.

Huh, really interested to see DF compare later areas of the game, now. Wii U is really rough in villages, but outside of that, it's really just a stutter here and there. Fields and mountains are great, lol. Really bizarre if both versions have severe frame drops in different areas. I really don't get the Undocked mode on Switch turning in such solid performance. I mean, it's actually supposed to be a lower clocked version of the what you get with the Dock, right?

It makes me wonder if other games could have similar issues, or if the Switch version was just rushed as hell. I really hope it's the latter, because I really didn't want to use the Switch primarily as a handheld.

jts

...hate me...
So...

The vast majority of the game is the same across all platforms.

Switch in portable mode = 720p on a 720p handheld. Steady 30 fps.

Switch in docked mode = 900p upscaled to 1080p. Some framerate drops.

Wii U = 720p upscaled to 1080p. An entirely different but similar set of framerate drops.

Switch has a little bit better graphical performance. Either no framerate drops in handheld mode, or slightly increased resolution in docked mode.
It sounds slightly but it's not so much. It's 56% more pixels being pushed.

Regardless, Nintendo would net good PR points if they just allowed for people to play 720p on TV if desired.

Meaty

So the 900p on the Switch won't look so good on my B6 this coming week?

B6 is a 4k tv?

Im not completely sure, id have to test out both versions.

I did play zelda on a 4k tv, briefly. The image quality did not bother me at all.

Without upscaling the image is less blurry. I think we should ask the DF guys to answer this for us.

KevinG

B6 is a 4k tv?

Im not completely sure, id have to test out both versions.

I did play zelda on a 4k tv, briefly. The image quality did not bother me at all.

Without upscaling the image is less blurry. I think we should ask the DF guys to answer this for us.

B6 is LG's 2016 4K OLED.

I'm hoping it still looks as gorgeous as it does on my old crappy Philips 1080p from 6 years ago.

The Hermit

Well, I'm glad I didn't have a massively inferior experience on Wii U.

At the same time, what I'm really interested in is their analysis of the trouble spots later on. Really looking forward to that video.

I am in that spot btw, and Jesus Christ.

I personally can't give a pass, is worse than GTAV Ps3.

I really want to emulate this game because it's botherline unbearable

Fan anyone tell me how
Kakariko Village
stables

Exactly.
The framerate is affecting the whole experience 😥

Top Bottom