• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma was right: Breath of the Wild Speedrun in 1:24:07

Done by the lovely Venick409: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/126349665?t=42m (run starts around the 42 minute mark)

The game can indeed be beaten immediately once you get of the plateau and quite quick at that! He died once to the final boss losing 10+ minutes

fb1e6d44f9574f7ab48943dd92141266.png

https://twitter.com/Venick409/status/838098469525073921

eizarus

Banned
Where is the joy in speed runs?

Edit: this post was meant to be sarcastic because there's always one in every speed run thread. I'll see myself out.

Ill never understand the speed run desire but that's short as hell. Did Nintendo estimate how long it would take a normal play through?

bomblord1

Banned
If it gives away spoilers don't answer but how on earth could someone make it to Hyrule Castle and beat the final boss with starter equipment?

Anth0ny

Jesus Christ.

Sub 1h will probably happen within a month

Any% and all dungeons will probably be the two main categories.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Shouldn't be too long before the advent of sub one hour speedruns then. Congrats to Venick409.

Biske

If it gives away spoilers don't answer but how on earth could someone make it to Hyrule Castle and beat the final boss with starter equipment?

Probably a mix of cooking the right stuff to get to needed areas and the right equipment.

Mega

Banned
Where is the joy in speed runs?

To prove you can beat it the quickest and find new shortcuts/glitches? This has nothing to do with proving the game is "too short/easy/etc." and therefore no need to get defensive. It's just a different sort of challenge like upping the difficulty settings, limiting your run to a low number of hearts, not using certain weapons/heal items in any game.

KooopaKid

Banned
Not watching, but it's super cool. Really proves how open the game is.
Do other open world games allow something similar?

You can with some looting in late game areas. Furthermore the final boss is indeed highly brutal, but with strats and patience you can slowly beat him. Every hit is either instant death or almost, but you can pause and heal a lot

How long is 100% though.
Probably anywhere between 10-30 hours lol

Aonuma hinted there's a way to get off the plateau without the glider, I wonder how long it takes for someone to find that and cut this in half.

Skill , talent of trying to do it. If you don't get that that is fine, but consider it a bit first. It is very repetitive obviously but that is life in general I guess.

I hear this all the time and it is always 100% false or misses the mark.

He reason people do this is for attention!

They are not playing these games on a deserted island. They want attention. They want recognition. Some play for money like mercenaries. If you take away the attention very few people would do it.

kiaaa

They are not playing these games on a deserted island. They want attention. They want recognition. Some play for money like mercenaries. If you take away the attention very few people would do it.

You could extrapolate this logic to say that anything people do is for attention, so you're not really saying much.

Breads

Banned

Not true. Not every speedrunner does it for attention. I'm a speedrunner who has put in some pretty decent splits against the top scorers on several games and I've never posted anything about it online until this very post.

It's just playing a game with a different set of rules. Nothing more. Some people stream/ push for top scores. There are more out there who don't.

Damn. And that is within the first few days of release.

With more time and improved strats, this could easily clock in around 50 and be pretty competitive. Should be fun to watch.

Griss

As cool as this is, it's also the reason why the game doesn't have much (if any) of a story, and I'm not sure the trade-off was worth it.

That said, the whole thing is clearly a homage to Zelda 1, so 'Get released into the world, go kill Ganon' works for at least one game imo.

But I'd rather the next one return to slightly more narrative roots.

Is there no main story at all in BotW?

The vast majority (like, 90%) of the main story
is given to you as you leave the plateau.
That's why this is possible. Everything else is optional sidequests or optional flashbacks.

Next you'll be telling us that people post words on the internet they don't mean to get attention.

Looking forward to how low the experts can get their times. Zelda speedruns are the best.

The fact that they designed the game to be feasibly played like this has me over the moon. Absolutely love that they put this much thought into alternative playstyles and freedom of exploration. It's so uncommon these days.

_Aaron_

Not watching, but it's super cool. Really proves how open the game is.
Do other open world games allow something similar?

Fallout 1 can be completed in < 10 minutes. Nothing stops you from going directly to Mariposa and then the Master.

Top Bottom