• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma was right: Breath of the Wild Speedrun in 1:24:07

Neptonic

Did this person finish the game normally first? Speedrunning is fine, but what a wasted, ruined first experience.
What is normal for this game?
The first big main quest you get is DEFEAT GANON. That's what he did.

I'm personally trying to find the master sword, then I'm going to take a crack at the castle.

VariantX

it's gonna depend on how arbitrary the community wants to go with it

because all dungeons is already kinda arbitrary

but
master sword is even more arbitrary because you even need to get a certain number of hearts, which mean you have to do a certain number of shrines as well

community will end up deciding on it. probably tons of discussion going on now for a good mid-level run ruleset.

Wow, just like the original Zelda where you Couldn't get sword upgrades until you got enough hearts. Didn't know they brought back that requirement.

jdstorm

Banned
Remember that people love routing these games though! And with the healthy amount and distribution of Shrines it'll make Shrine heavy runs pretty interesting route wise!

Also, the dungeons and
(story based setpieces/lead ups to them)
are fairly interesting (of what I have seen so far) so it isn't all that arbitrary honestly.

Honestly thats the main reason i think an Any%
Mastersword
speed run would be an ideal mid tier run. It has a good variety of all of the games activities (Exploration, Shrines, ect) while creating lots of interesting routing posabilities.

Plus
There is just something right about defeating ganon with the mastersword

Edit: Since i will be more of a watcher then a runner, i'm not going to add any more to the conversation

Any%/All Dungeons are guaranteed categories basically. Depending on how long the runs are, I could see
Divine Beasts
being a thing.

I can't wait to see some movement glitches cut this down to sub hour. This could potentially be the hypest game to run in a couple of weeks.

Deku Tree

So there is a spot on the starting platform where you can climb down and have just enough stamina to get Far enough down so that you can fall without dying?

Parshias7

Has anyone tested to see how long it would take to walk between the two furthest points of the game?

Someone tested walking from the southern end of Hyrule to the northern end, just walking, no running or anything, in as straight a line as possible. I think they made it across in 30~35 minutes. The map is wider than it is tall, so going east to west would be longer.

Crayolan

Can confirm. I went straight to Hyrule Castle and it was incredible. Didn't actually finish though, after dying to the final boss twice I decided to take my spoils and move on. I'll be back once I have more supplies.

Did this person finish the game normally first? Speedrunning is fine, but what a wasted, ruined first experience.
He did like 2 dungeons casually before doing this. You dont really spoil much by doing this either since nothing much happens story wise. Only the final boss I guess

Shoutouts to the funnest Zelda speedrunner to watch Clint Stevens, he got into fighting Ganon in two hours of starting the game just to see if it was true that you could.

My big takeaway from this thread is that there are people who will go out of their way to present their opinion that they don't like speedruns....

jariw

This is a game where the actual speed run isn't of interest, since the game design is made to be able to beat it directly.

100%, at least to the extent of all shrines, korok seeds, and side quests, would be interesting.

I'm sure you were interested before someone beat this quick in the most optional way possible.

A bit, but not enough to pre-order, and not for $360. Nintendo has earned my wait-and-see approach. The killer app having frame rate issues and possible to beat in 90 minutes doesn't help.

Depending on how the next few months go and what price cuts we see, I might be in line for the holidays.

Espada

This reminds me of Dragon's Dogma's speed run mode, which opened our eyes to how goddamn quick you could blaze through that game. Portcrystals in the right spots do wonders.

Anyway, that's one hell of a blitz through the game. It's actually shorter than the Nioh speed run I saw a few days ago.

more or less yes

That's incredibly disappointing. So it has no effect on the story? Is there even a good reason to go to the other locations? Like obviously it won't give the level of rewards you'd get in the older games for clearing a zone, but do the locations have in depth quests to rival the old games still?

A bit, but not enough to pre-order, and not for $360. Nintendo has earned my wait-and-see approach. The killer app having frame rate issues and possible to beat in 90 minutes doesn't help.

Depending on how the next few months go and what price cuts we see, I might be in line for the holidays.
Bizarre. Most Zelda games can be finished very quickly by speed runners. A speed runner finishing it in 90 minutes doesn't mean anything towards the games content.

That's incredibly disappointing. So it has no effect on the story? Is there even a good reason to go to the other locations? Like obviously it won't give the level of rewards you'd get in the older games for clearing a zone, but do the locations have in depth quests to rival the old games still?
Running straight to the end gives you no story. There's a lot of story outside of that including main quests.

Kinsei

Banned

There are multiple endings. I imagine you have to complete the main story in order to get the best one.

The game has great side quests and characters.

Haahh, that's funny. No to the first part, yes to everything else.

Running straight to the end gives you no story. There's a lot of story outside of that including main quests.

There are multiple endings. I imagine you have to complete the main story in order to get the best one.

The game has great side quests and characters.

Awesome! That had me a little worried that the content outside of the main quest might be a bit on the weaker side. The multiple endings pretty reassuring alone tbh.

Bizarre. Most Zelda games can be finished very quickly by speed runners. A speed runner finishing it in 90 minutes doesn't mean anything towards the games content.

That's my ignorance on "modern" Zelda. I loved the two releases on NES and LTTP on the SNES, and haven't played any since.

Caelus

I think attempting to rush Hyrule Castle, regardless of the outcome, is a 'definitive' way to play the game. It creates a pretty interesting personal narrative and the contrasting atmosphere of the castle compared with the rest of the world is compelling. You also get cool gear out of it depending on your exploration of the castle.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen that. Not sure how that relates to my ignorance of modern Zelda, but I disliked both Morrowind and Skyrim, for what it's worth.

Instead of people assuming what you want out of Zelda I should just ask, what do you want out of Zelda? Do you like options, like what's presented in botw or do you want the optional 60+ hours of story and gameplay of it to be mandatory? Does it being mandatory make a game seem more enticing to you? I'd just like more context to your opinions as I'm sure others would appreciate that as well.

Instead of people assuming what you want out of Zelda I should just ask, what do you want out of Zelda? Do you like options, like what's presented in botw or do you want the optional 60+ hours of story and gameplay of it to be mandatory? Does it being mandatory make a game seem more enticing to you? I'd just like more context to your opinions as I'm sure others would appreciate that as well.

What I've seen of Zelda looks great. I like all kinds of games, but usually gravitate towards single player, story driven journeys. The Last of Us is my favorite modern game. I'm loving Horizon currently. Zelda looks like it might scratch that itch.

In terms of game length, there are a lot of gradients between mandatory 60 hour games and being able to beat the main story in 90 minutes. I'm loving the Horizon balance. Main game probably takes ~20-30 hours, but you can result stretch it to double that with collectibles and side quests.

Smasher89

Wont watch the video, and will probably be improved by the time I get to watch a speedrun of the game since I want to keep enjoying it, that said, do the dlc make for different paths, considering some of the stuff potencially could be very useful for a speedrun, unless there is easier to aquire stuff that's more efficient?.

I wonder what the differences will be in hardmode later too, I hope it's really well thought out and uses this half year (which I guess is little time concidering the scope of the game and the development for the actual game) making some very interesting twists in for example "minibosslocations" and stuff like that.

Velcro Fly

they couldn't make a good zelda game without bloat

so they went super overboard with bloat

and then made it all optional

it is everything and nothing all at once.

it is whatever you want it to be.

it is genius. it is perfect.

What I've seen of Zelda looks great. I like all kinds of games, but usually gravitate towards single player, story driven journeys. The Last of Us is my favorite modern game. I'm loving Horizon currently. Zelda looks like it might scratch that itch.

In terms of game length, there are a lot of gradients between mandatory 60 hour games and being able to beat the main story in 90 minutes. I'm loving the Horizon balance. Main game probably takes ~20-30 hours, but you can result stretch it to double that with collectibles and side quests.

Just because apparently nobody has bothered speedrunning Horizon yet doesn't mean it can't be speedrun, not that judging game length based of speedrun times has any merit in the first place. (TLOU NG speedrun WR is 2:45:00, nobody calls it a 3 hour game)

LTTP can be finished in 90 minutes. Hell the WR is 90 seconds

I'm aware. I didn't realize modern Zelda games could be finished so directly. Most games I've played in this style don't have these types of direct routes.

Just because apparently nobody has bothered speedrunning Horizon yet doesn't mean it can't be speedrun, not that judging game length based of speedrun times has any merit in the first place. (TLOU NG speedrun WR is 2:45:00, nobody calls it a 3 hour game)

I'd be interested to see a Horizon speed run in the future, but there are gated main story quests you have to complete to progress. Even playing on easy difficulty and skipping all optional side content and dialogue, I don't see it coming even close to 90 minutes.

I wasn't aware of The Last of Us speed running, but the New Game caveat would make a big difference. This is Zelda getting beat in half that time on a fresh start.

There is, but Link is so badass that he doesn't need the seven sages or the master sword to whip Ganon's butt.

Whelp thanks for the spoilers man. So now I know exactly how many sages there are to find and go through. Thought a speed tun thread would have been safe!

error4041

Hyrule Castle looks fantastic, I think I'll go straight to it when I get the game.

Also, Calamity Ganon is some acid trip level shit.

Jamesac68

Banned

Regarding the 90 minute thing- It's also possible to punch yourself vigorously in the groin, but it's an action that's only appealing to a select group of individuals. Way more people are entertained watching it than actually doing it.

DJ88

Regarding the 90 minute thing- It's also possible to punch yourself vigorously in the groin, but it's an action that's only appealing to a select group of individuals. Way more people are entertained watching it than actually doing it.

Haha, yeah I've never seen someone let the time a game can possibly be sped run in affect their interest in playing said game.

Top Bottom