• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma was right: Breath of the Wild Speedrun in 1:24:07

Haha, yeah I've never seen someone let the time a game can possibly be sped run in affect their interest in playing said game.

Yeah, just seems weird to me. Like, I think it's pretty awesome when a game like Morrowind or BOTW let you try for the direct path... But I don't plan on trying that on my first, second, or even third times playing the game so why does it matter that the game can be beaten in 90 minutes by heading straight for the last boss? Also, I do like that they have different endings as a reward for doing more stuff.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I'm aware. I didn't realize modern Zelda games could be finished so directly. Most games I've played in this style don't have these types of direct routes.

I'd be interested to see a Horizon speed run in the future, but there are gated main story quests you have to complete to progress. Even playing on easy difficulty and skipping all optional side content and dialogue, I don't see it coming even close to 90 minutes.

I wasn't aware of The Last of Us speed running, but the New Game caveat would make a big difference. This is Zelda getting beat in half that time on a fresh start.

Unlike others in this thread, I'm not going to dogpile on your opinion. However, I'm trying to understand things from your perspective. I would like to know this: What would Zelda Botw need to make you say "I want to buy this game and play it"...? It seemed like you were on the fence regarding your purchase until you came into this thread and noticed it could be finished faster than you thought.

One more thing, you are also aware that this speed run requires perfect dodges/parries right? I'm sure one hit from the end boss or any powerful enemy and the player is immediately dead, because as I've seen the game is pretty difficult.

Regarding the 90 minute thing- It's also possible to punch yourself vigorously in the groin, but it's an action that's only appealing to a select group of individuals. Way more people are entertained watching it than actually doing it.

You didn't jump right into a suicide analogy or something equally as asinine, at least I'll give you that. No clue how this is in response to anything I posted.

Unlike others in this thread, I'm not going to dogpile on your opinion. However, I'm trying to understand things from your perspective. I would like to know this: What would Zelda Botw need to make you say "I want to buy this game and play it"...? It seemed like you were on the fence regarding your purchase until you came into this thread and noticed it could be finished faster than you thought.

One more thing, you are also aware that this speed run requires perfect dodges/parries right? I'm sure one hit from the end boss or any powerful enemy and the player is immediately dead, because as I've seen the game is pretty difficult.

I'm quite interested in Zelda, particularly given the rave reviews from many sources I respect. I think it's crazy that you can finish the game so quickly, but I also realize that's not representative of how I would play it. As you point out, the dude had to perform nearly flawlessly...I can't replicate that. I also wouldn't choose to rush through a game that's largely the only reason to pick up the console.

Zero worries about the dogpiling. You're being kind and engaging, and those who aren't don't bother me in the slightest. I've been on this forum for some time now and I know how certain fan bases get when you criticize their precious. We all seek external validation for our interests in one way or another. There's also the sunk cost fallacy associated with buying an undercooked console missing very basic features for $400+ with accessories.

It might help if I clarified that my "just saved $360" comment was largely tongue and cheek. There are many reasons I'm not picking up a Switch right now, all covered very thoroughly on this forum. A speed run of Zelda isn't one of them.

Somebody in the OT says you might be able to get off the plateau using Cryonsis to essentially make stairs on the waterfall to get down without the glider. So there's that.

qko

Welcome to the future folks... Tool assisted speedruns locked behind a paywall via amiibos

/s

Impressive speedrun though. He hardly uses runes so finding out how to leave the plateau without the paraglider will probably cut his speedrun time by 30-40 minutes.

I'm aware. I didn't realize modern Zelda games could be finished so directly. Most games I've played in this style don't have these types of direct routes.

I'd be interested to see a Horizon speed run in the future, but there are gated main story quests you have to complete to progress. Even playing on easy difficulty and skipping all optional side content and dialogue, I don't see it coming even close to 90 minutes.

I wasn't aware of The Last of Us speed running, but the New Game caveat would make a big difference. This is Zelda getting beat in half that time on a fresh start.

???

NG as in NOT NG+

but it really doesn't matter, as the latter is only 5 minutes, 27 seconds faster anyway

Mihos

Gold Member
Aonuma hinted there's a way to get off the plateau without the glider, I wonder how long it takes for someone to find that and cut this in half.

Honestly, I will spend more time looking for stuff like that than I will playing the rest of the game.

Dreavus

This is cool stuff. Not watching (for spoilers), but I like that this is a thing.

And to be completely fair, you get the quest
"DESTROY GANON"
within the first few hours of play, so they HAD to know that'd entice someone to go for it!

Getting off the plateau without a glider? Hmmm. Maybe there's a high spot you can just barely climb down to? Another question is do you need the glider at all later on if you're skipping it? This will be a fun one for people to route.

Freeman76

Hard to believe a game of this scope can be finished so quickly. Its crazy you dont need to do much of anything in order to take on the last boss.

You didn't jump right into a suicide analogy or something equally as asinine, at least I'll give you that. No clue how this is in response to anything I posted.

I'm quite interested in Zelda, particularly given the rave reviews from many sources I respect. I think it's crazy that you can finish the game so quickly, but I also realize that's not representative of how I would play it. As you point out, the dude had to perform nearly flawlessly...I can't replicate that. I also wouldn't choose to rush through a game that's largely the only reason to pick up the console.

Zero worries about the dogpiling. You're being kind and engaging, and those who aren't don't bother me in the slightest. I've been on this forum for some time now and I know how certain fan bases get when you criticize their precious. We all seek external validation for our interests in one way or another. There's also the sunk cost fallacy associated with buying an undercooked console missing very basic features for $400+ with accessories.

It might help if I clarified that my "just saved $360" comment was largely tongue and cheek. There are many reasons I'm not picking up a Switch right now, all covered very thoroughly on this forum. A speed run of Zelda isn't one of them.

I'm sure PS fans felt the same way when they bought a PS4 with Knack lol, launches are absolute shit. Zelda is fun though.

Like anything in this game. They have to land a single hit and ohko you or they become harmless. There is no in between not even for a casual player.
Really? I mean, multiple enemies at once make the game mitigate this. Getting hit and flopping to a disadvantageous position can get you killed even when you survive.

This.

Parrying their laser is the only way I kill guardians.
I thought you had to parry the lasers to kill the final boss once he has the red aura. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised there's multiple ways to do something in this game at this point.

psyfi

Banned
NEW WR

1 HOUR 5 MINUTES BY VENICK

sub1 is gonna happen soon
niiiiiice

I've been on this forum for some time now and I know how certain fan bases get when you criticize their precious. We all seek external validation for our interests in one way or another. There's also the sunk cost fallacy associated with buying an undercooked console missing very basic features for $400+ with accessories.
good lord dude, this is embarassing

Jamesac68

Banned

Speedrunning Zelda in 90 minutes and punching yourself vigorously in the groin are two things you can do that can potentially destroy an otherwise enjoyable experience. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Some people enjoy it immensely, though, and it's what they can manage is honestly impressive.

I think it's absolutely incredible that the game is designed specifically for you to be able to do this if you want to and is accomplished without glitches.

Izayoi

Banned
I think it's absolutely incredible that the game is designed specifically for you to be able to do this if you want to and is accomplished without glitches.
No kidding. Rarely do even "open world" games give you an actual open world where you can tackle anything you want in any order you choose.

This is the pinnacle of open world game design, IMO.

Freeman76

What disappoints me is it means there are no cool time travelling mechanics or things like that in it, and it somewhat trivialises the rest of the game as we dont need to do most of it in order to finish the story.

Still easily the best open world game ive played, and by the time im done im sure it will be the number one in my all time list.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You can get off the plateau by standing on a boulder and using stasis to fly on top of it. You definitely don't need the paraglider.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How do you beat ganon with the final hit without it?
That's a good question. I wonder if the game gives it you or if you just get stuck there until you reset.

SolVanderlyn

My understanding is that there's a kill screen all around the plateau until you get the paraglider
I swear I saw a video of a guy using the boulder trick. Maybe he had it already, in which case, that's disappointing.

Mashing

Hyrule Castle is scary as shit with only 3 or 4 hearts. And since you have to sneak practically everywhere how they can do that in 1 hour is mindboggling.

KarmaCow

So this guy actually parries the final boss projectiles, I was wondering why the other guy didnt and assumed it was somehow slower, maybe its not.

If I had to guess, they were not confident in parrying the lasers yet. Perfect Dodging has a bigger window and doing it early still means you're safe.

Crazyorloco

Love hearing how quick they're beating it. I refuse to look at the videos yet because I'm still playing the normal way.

I'm amazed that Aonuma said there's a way off the Great Plateau without the paraglider.... I've spend hours trying to do it without it.

Love hearing how quick they're beating it. I refuse to look at the videos yet because I'm still playing the normal way.

I'm amazed that Aonuma said there's a way off the Great Plateau without the paraglider.... I've spend hours trying to do it without it.

When did he say that? Maybe it was possible back then but I doubt it is now in the retail build

fernoca

Good to see they weren't lying.

This is basically what people wanted in a Zelda game. Amazing how going back to its roots also made this the most open and best Zelda game of all.

I'm sure PS fans felt the same way when they bought a PS4 with Knack lol, launches are absolute shit. Zelda is fun though.

Very likely true. I skip most console launch windows based on how rough they end up being. The Switch seems to have its fair share, but Zelda is good enough to keep early adopters happy. I don't remember a launch title so praised since Halo.

good lord dude, this is embarassing

What exactly is embarrassing?

Speedrunning Zelda in 90 minutes and punching yourself vigorously in the groin are two things you can do that can potentially destroy an otherwise enjoyable experience. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Some people enjoy it immensely, though, and it's what they can manage is honestly impressive.

I'm not seeing it. The analogy is absurd. Speed running a game != injuring your genitals. But I agree that Zelda seems best explored at a pace where you take in the universe.

Top Bottom