• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma was right: Breath of the Wild Speedrun in 1:24:07

peakish

They charge $60 for a 90 minute game?

I kid, I kid, just remembering some Ground Zeroes threads. Should be fun to see if it's run at SGDQ~

Anth0ny

GTA 5 100% WR is under 12 hours

I can see BOTW hundo being sub 15 once a route is made and optimized. But that is going to take forever. Korok seeds and photographs.... lol

Falchion

That's awesome. Hopefully a pretty good speedrunning community will form around this if the worst runs can be done in this kind of time.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I imagine the hardest part about routing the botw speed run right now is figuring out how to get off the great plateau early and a good place to stock up on food, weapons and shields that will be enough to actually kill ganon..

I imagine the hardest part about routing the botw speed run right now is figuring out how to get off the great plateau early and a good place to stock up on food, weapons and shields that will be enough to actually kill ganon..

It's disappointing there's a kill screen all around the plateau until you have the paraglider really

JC Lately

Impressive. But what I want is a speed run/guide to get to the
Hylian Shield
as fast as possible.

Because fuck destructible equipment.

Impressive. But what I want is a speed run/guide to get to the
Hylian Shield
as fast as possible.

Because fuck destructible equipment.

That particular item isn't indestructible, just particularly durable vs alternatives.
Literally the only indestructible item in the game is the MS, and even that has a cooldown.

Did this person finish the game normally first? Speedrunning is fine, but what a wasted, ruined first experience.

Define 'normally.'

And speedrunners spend a lot of time planning routes and tactics and they enjoy it so they probably don't see it as a waste, judgmental internet cranks notwithstanding.

KarmaCow

Wait you can skip
the Divine Beasts
? That's awesome, the cutscene just before leaving the plateau made it seem necessary.

Tall4Life

Wait you can skip
the Divine Beasts
? That's awesome, the cutscene just before leaving the plateau made it seem necessary.

If you don't fight the Divine Beasts, you must fight them again before the real final boss in a boss rush. If you beat one you don't have to fight that one in the boss rush.

ArjanN

This is a bad example. Far Cry 4 has a joke ending you can get in the starting scene.

Yeah, a better example is, say, Fallout 1 where you can technically go directly to the ending zone if you know where it is, and can get past the high-level enemies there.

Lagamorph

Does he make use of glitches for that time? (If he does please don't say what/when they are)
My favourite speed runs are non-glitch ones really. Sure they take longer but I like seeing the game played in "the right way" so to speak rather than using glitches to skip things that aren't intended to be skippable.

Worth noting he uses an amiibo to get
a horse
which I'm guessing saves a decent amount of time.

It will be interesting to see if "any%" or "any% no amiibo" becomes a bigger category.

Hermii

GTA 5 100% WR is under 12 hours

I can see BOTW hundo being sub 15 once a route is made and optimized. But that is going to take forever. Korok seeds and photographs.... lol
It litterally depends on the weather which route you can take, a speed run could easily be ruined by a storm.

Akai__

This always surprises me. Will have to watch it, but after I see a full playthrough.

Worth noting he uses an amiibo to get
a horse
which I'm guessing saves a decent amount of time.

It will be interesting to see if "any%" or "any% no amiibo" becomes a bigger category.

Amiibo% lmao

Did this person finish the game normally first? Speedrunning is fine, but what a wasted, ruined first experience.
It depends on what the game means to them and how much they want to be on the frontier of running this new game. If their primary interest is speedrunning then getting any % runs totally makes sense. They could expand into 100% runs if they want to experience the rest of the game.

Speaking of the 100% runs loading times on fast travel and shrines are going to be such a big part of that (as I imagine a lot of that is needed). What is going to be even funner is that it appears Wii U and Switch have different loading times and for some early areas and shrines Wii U loads more quickly (as this is all I've seen comparisons for).

I bet you that they will reject it. They are really weird about this game for submission. Spike has said that they would be very unlikely to add it until AGDQ 2018.
This early on the routing could drastically change especially if there is what the director hinted at and also the current route doesn't sound marathon safe at all.

Ashby

Anyone else feel like this sort of makes the rest of the game meaningless? Like, why I am even doing the story if Link can do this from the start.

MrBadger

Anyone else feel like this sort of makes the rest of the game meaningless? Like, why I am even doing the story if Link can do this from the start.

Because you want to? Why play the game at all if you can just watch the ending on Youtube?

I wonder how quick a "beat all dungeons" speedrun would be in comparison. I really want to see speedrunners make good use of whatever movement techniques they can find to traverse all of Hyrule.

KooopaKid

Banned
Doing stuff like this to skip the G.O.A.T test in Fallout 3 which can take a while. The Fallout 3 speedrun is 15 minutes of glitching through stuff.

Ok but I meant without cheats.

You can finish Far Cry 4 in a few minutes.

Fallout 1 can be completed in < 10 minutes. Nothing stops you from going directly to Mariposa and then the Master.

Cool. The number of adventure games doing that must be quite small.

Kinsei

Banned
That's cool. What I'm really interested in is a full 100% speedrun though. I doubt there will ever be any though.

Effect

I'm waiting for the all shrines run.

That's going to be interesting if that time can be and keeps getting pushed lower and lower. That's not going to be quick though. That said I don't dare watch any rush to boss speed runs of this game until I put more hours into it. I just go through the Great Plateau after 10 hours. I'm not rushing at all.

It'll be very interesting to see the different categories that people decide to run. Any% is a given, but 100% (if you include the korok puzzles) would be insanely long. I imagine an All Shrines category will exist, and two more I can picture would be
Master Sword %
and all dungeons/
divine beasts
. This game's speedrunning categories should be interesting at the very least!

Anth0ny

I would guess Major Spoiler
Mastersword
would also be a category

it's gonna depend on how arbitrary the community wants to go with it

because all dungeons is already kinda arbitrary

but
master sword is even more arbitrary because you even need to get a certain number of hearts, which mean you have to do a certain number of shrines as well

community will end up deciding on it. probably tons of discussion going on now for a good mid-level run ruleset.

Sakujou

Banned
it is a speedrun. that means, that guy knew his shit. he wasnt wasting time.

you can finish every game within a few hours or minutes, depending on how well you know the game.

i love seeing people finishing games as quick as possible, but i take my time on the first run. if i have time, i try to finish the game as quick as possible.

i finished resident evil 4 in launch week back then in 20h, and the second run was 25h. but only with writing down what to do.

my 3rd run was the speed run making it in 2:50h which was one of the fastest until someone posted that the game is doable in less than 2h.
i squeezed it down to 2:30h but that was the maximum with the tompson typewriter.

Cuburt

Yeah, and it is! I'm having a blast. It does undercut the narrative a bit though, no? Kinda makes the whole epic quest a bit redundant. The actual playing is obviously fun regardless.
Maybe it undercuts the overarching plot, but I kind of like the idea of them resurrecting a Link that is already a bad ass and experienced instead of previous Links that start out as ordinary boys and become heroes. That way, instead of it also being this personal journey for Link, he just needs the proper tools to vanquish Ganon, and maybe instead of the story being all these people from Hyrule saying that he Link isn't strong enough yet and needs to do all this stuff before becoming strong enough, Link just says "Fuck that!" and tries to rush right to Ganon to save Hyrule naked armed only with a tree branch .

Personally, when I first started, I ran off without even getting a branch and tried to see how successful I could be in "combat" without any weapons. I wasn't very effective, but you can throw some stuff, though throwing object for combat (anything that isn't a weapon) isn't great in my experience. I once hurt a Bokoblin by doing a dodge/jump away from another Bokoblin so it became a sort of shoulder tackle when it cued me for a flurry rush (which I couldn't do without a weapon). Couldn't really replicate it again though. After seeing Nintendo talk at GDC about how you can push a bolder from the beginning of the game all the way to Ganon makes me think we'll see all kinds of creative ways to beat the game. Maybe beating Ganon with all shield surfing will be a thing.

it's gonna depend on how arbitrary the community wants to go with it

because all dungeons is already kinda arbitrary

but
master sword is even more arbitrary because you even need to get a certain number of hearts, which mean you have to do a certain number of shrines as well

community will end up deciding on it. probably tons of discussion going on now for a good mid-level run ruleset.

Remember that people love routing these games though! And with the healthy amount and distribution of Shrines it'll make Shrine heavy runs pretty interesting route wise!

Also, the dungeons and
(story based setpieces/lead ups to them)
are fairly interesting (of what I have seen so far) so it isn't all that arbitrary honestly.

Earendil

I ran straight for the castle as soon as I left the plateau.
I snuck past several guardians and then got lit up by three of them at the same time.

Top Bottom