• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Cyanogen almost partnered for the Switch

Tripon

You know that massively successful new console Nintendo can't keep in stores? The one that smashed Nintendo's own sales records and caused the company to dramatically ramp up production to meet demand? Apparently the OS for that console was almost based largely on Android, but Cyanogen's Kirt McMaster put a stop to that according to his Twitter feed.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nintendo-and-cyanogen-almost-partnered-switch
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...anogen_for_switch_os_but_was_told_to_stick_it
1Vr6h41.png

He likes the Switch now though.

vcccCTD.png

Cyanogen was a popular Android custom rom that unfortunately tried to expand and made bad business decisions that today leaves them as a software company that tries to build apps for Android instead of an alternative.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/24/c...ering-its-services-and-os-as-part-of-a-pivot/

Cyanogen was a popular Android custom rom that unfortunately tried to expand and made bad business decisions that today leaves them as a software company that tries to build apps for Android instead of an alternative.
So sounds like they dodged a bullet? I'm not familiar with them.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Glad it didn't happen.

The Switch needs to be a closed ecosystem. It has limited resources it can't waste on an unoptimized OS.

Velkyn

How not to run a business, 101.

Nintendo comes to you and you tell them to "stick it"? Must be allergic to money.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It would have been almost....if they could have delivered a OS that Nintendo wanted - but they didnt really have talk. These type of inquiries happen all the time and dont mean much until both partys are invested in the projects.

Feels like he is making a bigger deal out of it because Switch is in the news right now lol.

CronoShot

No wonder Cyanogen went down the shitter. A huge company comes to you with a big project, and you tell them to "stick it"?

Nintendo dodged a bullet there, though.

Apparently Nintendo dodged a bullet on this one.

A massive bullet. Cyanogen Inc. is one of the most poorly managed, ill-conceived companies in the entire Android ecosystem. They're basically a husk of a company now after a very long series of terrible decisions, including this one apparently.

For Nintendo, this would've been an absolute disaster in the long run.

Why on earth would you tell Nintendo to 'stick it'?

Like seriously

If you make an OS for a living why on earth would you ever do that

Yikes this guy sounds fun at parties.

I can't find those tweets. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong place.

EDIT: Never mind I found it!

jokkir

this, so good riddance. i used to flash their ROMs on my S2 back in the days but then they made a lot of moves i just didnt like and went look out for new ROMs

Cyanogen Inc =/= CyanogenMod

Pretty sure you flashed CyanogenMod and not the other Cyanogen Inc ROM (which was I'm sure was the one that made you dislike them)

Zemm

Why on earth would you tell Nintendo to 'stick it'?

Like seriously

If you make an OS for a living why on earth would you ever do that

Allergic to money is the only reason I can think of.

So weird he'd announce this on Twitter when it makes him look like a completely terrible businessman haha

Serra

GAF nintendo defense force spamming f5 again I see

Its really a shame what happened with the whole Cyanogen project, shit was good on the S2.

Top Bottom