• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Cyanogen almost partnered for the Switch

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I mean, I can believe it. It's the kind of pompous "Our software is FREE and we're not gonna let THE MAN use it in a COMMERCIAL product!" :p.

Dude could've been set for life man. But it's his decision. The Switch UI is very Android'y so I'd believe there's some Android UI stuff in there at least, but from what we've heard it's mostly based on Linux? Not that Android itself isn't, but you get what I mean

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
This guy comes across as someone who spouts a lot of nonsense.

"I told them to stick it"

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.
he is so edgy

GAF nintendo defense force spamming f5 again I see

Its really a shame what happened with the whole Cyanogen project, shit was good on the S2.

so edgy.

Its really a shame what happened with the whole Cyanogen project, shit was good on the S2.

This post makes zero sense. None of it.

CyanogenMod is different from Cyanogen Inc., which is what this post is about. The former is/was great; the latter has been a raging dumpster fire since the OnePlus One.

Serra

This post makes zero sense. None of it.

CyanogenMod is different from Cyanogen Inc., which is what this post is about. The former is/was great; the latter has been a raging dumpster fire since the OnePlus One.

Thats exactly what I mean. The name confusion is really bad PR for CyanogenMods good ROMs.

Yeah if I was trying to run a software company I would never want to partner with one of the most ubiquitous names in videogame hardware.

"Stick it"

ViciousDS

Banned
lol.........Nintendo dodges bullet

OnePlus says piss off and develops Oxygen

Cynanogen is not what it was, as the stock OS for android now is much more stable compared to when you basically required a custom OS.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

?

Anyways, I don't see how telling some to "stick it" is professional in any business setting. Didn't know that Cynanogen had fallen this much

doesn't make sense to me

Android is based on Linux, Switch OS is based on FreeBSD

Most likely a FreeBSD custom kernel. The NFC library seems to be from the Android Open Source Project. FreeBSD also has a Linux compatibility layer, which makes it possible to run Linux software.

What's to defend here? The guy likes the switch from the sounds of it, but his comment is silly. Do we really need this "gaf defense force" shit on every thread where a Nintendo fan has an opinion? Good fucking grief.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
lol.........Nintendo dodges bullet

OnePlus says piss off and develops Oxygen

Cynanogen is not what it was, as the stock OS for android now is much more stable compared to when you basically required a custom OS.

Yeah apart from abysmal memory management (at least in stock Lollipop, phone only has 1gB but the second it has less than 500mB left it purges apps and unloads tabs, rather annoying) it's fairly good, very responsive, which is what matters the most

Jonnax

There's a licence for FreeBSD in the licences screen for the Switch so that's likely what the OS base just like the PS4.

As Linux and BSD have loads of overlap, and Android is built on Linux and mobile GPU drivers are optimised for Android. There's likely to be plenty of overlap codewise but it shouldn't be Android OS. Too much overhead for not much gain.

If anyone is curious about Linux on Tegra nvidia has some documentation here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra-r2421

Pertaining to Cyanogen. It was a startup with one fuckup after another.
Nintendo dodged a bullet for sure.

The story goes that they partnered with OnePlus to make the OS CyanogenMod for their OnePlus One phone.
A version of the opensource OS that had some extras put into it.
In the same way that Chomium is the open source version of Chrome.

It was a good partnership until CyanogenMod signed a deal with Micromax to exclusively sell a Cyanogenmod phone in India.
Essentially blocking Oneplus from selling their phones in India.
So they broke off the partnership with the OnePlus Two and made a team for their own OS.

Info:
https://blog.oneplus.net/2014/11/a-letter-to-our-indian-users/
We can’t explain Cyanogen’s decision because we don’t fully understand it ourselves.

Well if this guy was involved in Cyanogen's dealings then it's no wonder that the company folded and the Opensource project renamed themselves to LineageOS.

Dryk

The funniest thing about these tweets is how he just shows up out of nowhere in a comment thread about Zelda and fires them off

Kyonashi

Man I haven't heard the name Cyanogen since I had a T-Mobile G1 waaaay back.

I miss phones with big dumb mechanical movements/keyboards like flip/slide/whatever-the-G1-and-Sidekicks-were

I still think if the Switch had better access to apps it would be one of the top defacto tablet choices even for casual gamers instead of a hard sell for non-Nintendo diehard gamers

I don't think Cyanogen was the answer, though.

PikkonX

Love Android, but can't stand this guy, so I'm thankful this never happened. If you check the GPL on the Switch though, there is information regarding the Android Open Source Project. So they probably did pull in some bits (probably the Settings menu).

Tripolygon

Banned
Jesus people, you can tell anyone to shove it, you might not use the exact words even though you can but I'm sure he didn't. It is not rocket science, you just have to live with the consequences which in his case, it is probably leaving money on the table. Said person has shown himself to not be averse to making bad business decisions.

This is simply a case of

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I still think if the Switch had better access to apps it would be one of the top defacto tablet choices even for casual gamers instead of a hard sell for non-Nintendo diehard gamers

I don't think Cyanogen was the answer, though.

it just needs to have the browser & netflix in place for Christmas.

Schnozberry

What shut up Cyanogen was one of the best things about the OPO. Now they use some shitty one oxygen os or something.

Stop talking out of your ass.

Oxygen OS is fine. Cyanogen made good software, but it actually was pretty buggy at first on the OPO, and as a business they were at best incompetent. There's a reason the software team distanced themselves when the company changed directions.

atbigelow

Nintendo lucked out by not getting involved with Cyanogen. Which is now dead. I guess that's the biggest sign of how that company operated.

Which handheld is he talking about, though? If it was in the early days of Cyanogen (as the tweet states) that Nintendo approached them, that would have been what, 2010? Was he talking about the 3DS? Everyone is assuming he's talking about the Switch with that tweet, but the dates don't add up.

v1oz

What I find interesting is that he said parts of it are still based on Android. But doesn't that mean Nintendo has to signatory of and agree to the terms of open source licence? They also have to declare which open source bits they borrowed?

Draper

"Hi, we're aware that your company is in the business of creating operating software and we would like to help financially flourish your-"

"Stick it ya jabronies!"

Top Bottom