• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Cyanogen almost partnered for the Switch

aeolist

Banned
cyanogen's always been a weird and kinda shitty company but it would have been really neat to see a more capable OS on a nintendo handheld

-Minsc-

What's to defend here? The guy likes the switch from the sounds of it, but his comment is silly. Do we really need this "gaf defense force" shit on every thread where a Nintendo fan has an opinion? Good fucking grief.

I'd be better off not knowing what the gaf defense force is. Time to climb back under my rock.

wrowa

It's just a tweet. I'm sure he would've been able to give a more nuanced version of what happened and why he didn't continue the talks if he wasn't confined by the strict character limit of Twitter.

Ozigizo

What's to defend here? The guy likes the switch from the sounds of it, but his comment is silly. Do we really need this "gaf defense force" shit on every thread where a Nintendo fan has an opinion? Good fucking grief.

Gotta keep the console wars alive somehow.

yume_2501

calm down guys, we don't know which was the nintendo's offer. maybe it was so low that the only correct answer was "stick it" lol

Mega

Banned
Going public about how you told a company to "stick it" when they approached you for your services is a great way of sending the message that you are an enormous unprofessional asshole that no one should bother working with.

Baleoce

"Hi, we're aware that your company is in the business of creating operating software and we would like to help financially flourish your-"

"Stick it ya jabronies!"

I can't help but hear this in Mac from Always Sunny's voice xD

This guy comes across as someone who spouts a lot of nonsense.

"I told them to stick it"

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

That's what stuck out to me the most. That's a weird reaction. Not sure what Nintendo did to him...

Futureman

What I find interesting is that he said parts of it are still based on Android. But doesn't that mean Nintendo has to signatory of and agree to the terms of open source licence? They also have to declare which open source bits they borrowed?

do they?

isn't the base Android software completely free and open to the public to use? or is that so but they have to say so?

GAF nintendo defense force spamming f5 again I see

Its really a shame what happened with the whole Cyanogen project, shit was good on the S2.

Well to be fair the guy comes off as a turd.

Cyanogen was a beast on old Android though. I cracked and modded the Barnes and Noble Nook HD+ to run CM11 on it and it was a dream. My daughters still use those two tablets and they run fine.

tkscz

Man I haven't heard the name Cyanogen since I had a T-Mobile G1 waaaay back.

I miss phones with big dumb mechanical movements/keyboards like flip/slide/whatever-the-G1-and-Sidekicks-were

Get a Blackberry Priv. This phone is amazing (and uses Android).

Tadaima

Nintendo's next platform will run Android. Here's why.

People laughed at this assertion.

there is no way in hell Nintendo would touch Android.

you are insane if you think nintendo will go anywhere near android for their platforms. [...] not in a million years.

It's pretty interesting to see someone so strongly convinced of something so incredibly unlikely.

Nintendo will create a proprietary system like they, and everyone else, has always done. (Ouya notwithstanding)

And yet there they were, attempting, via a partnership with Cyanogen, to do exactly that.

It's just a tweet. I'm sure he would've been able to give a more nuanced version of what happened and why he didn't continue the talks if he wasn't confined by the strict character limit of Twitter.

"I told them to stick it." is not an issue of leaving out nuance due to character limits, it's an issue of ignoring nuance and rationality due to personality.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Cyanogen Inc =/= CyanogenMod

Pretty sure you flashed CyanogenMod and not the other Cyanogen Inc ROM (which was I'm sure was the one that made you dislike them)

Its really a shame what happened with the whole Cyanogen project, shit was good on the S2.

Yup.

He gives Cyanogen a bad name.

But if that would have happened it would have definitely been Android based. And the meltdowns on this forum would have been worth it, lol.

Atheerios

The most interesting things about this is that the rumors that Nintendo's next console would run Android could have been true at the time.

Kyzer

Banned
Going public about how you told a company to "stick it" when they approached you for your services is a great way of sending the message that you are an enormous unprofessional asshole that no one should bother working with.

This is true

As someone who was a OnePlus user during the era of Cyanogen's downfall... Thank god.

The dark days of Cyanogen were hell for 1P1 users. So many OS-level glitches screwing with our phones. My roommate's outright got bricked by one of their updates.

Macleoid

calm down guys, we don't know which was the nintendo's offer. maybe it was so low that the only correct answer was "stick it" lol

They only offered a single crisp $100 dollar bill. He looked them straight in the eye and told them to stick. The place went silent then everyone laughed for five minutes solid.

shiyrley

Banned
IF this is true, I am thankful to this dude. I wouldn't want the Switch to run Android lol.

Android is fine for a phone or a tablet where gaming is secondary, even for those Android handheld "consoles" that are focused around emulators. Not ok for an actual fully fledged console, handheld, or hybdrid, which is focused on fully fledged games.

It's total bullshit by the way. Like how would he know the Switch "runs bits of Android" it makes no sense, the kernal is entirely different than the one used in Android.

LQX

Yeah, sounds like dude that would have left some kind of backdoor in whatever they created for Nintendo.

Lutherian

Soo...

- Start in Recovery mode.
- Select : Wipe then Advanced Wipe.
- Prompt "Are you sure you want to wipe your entire brain cells ?" : Choose "Yes".
- Reboot.
- Tell Nintendo to "stick it".
- Fuck OnePlus partnership.
- Look at your community crumble.
- Watch Cyanogen die.
- Enjoy !

Ouroboros

Soo...

- Start in Recovery mode.
- Select : Wipe then Advanced Wipe.
- Prompt "Are you sure you want to wipe your entire brain cells ?" : Choose "Yes".
- Reboot.
- Tell Nintendo to "stick it".
- Fuck OnePlus partnership.
- Look at your community crumble.
- Watch Cyanogen die.
- Enjoy !

I JUST BRICKED MY SWITCH, CRAP!

Clearly Nintendo challenged him to a friendly game of Halo 2.

For anyone saying that we don't know the terms of the offer... you're right. We only know that he looks like an ass, which is what potential business partners would be. Use common sense when tweeting about business. Even just saying "But we couldn't reach an agreement" is a much classier way you say the same thing.

Lol, I wonder if he has a catchy dick phrase for every hugely successful company that comes to him.

Nintendo: stick it.

Apple: shove it up your a@$.

Sony: ram it down your throat

Atari: cool, let's do business

As someone who was a OnePlus user during the era of Cyanogen's downfall... Thank god.

The dark days of Cyanogen were hell for 1P1 users. So many OS-level glitches screwing with our phones. My roommate's outright got bricked by one of their updates.
Back in those days my 1P1 phone randomly decided one day it wasn't going to read SIM cards anymore.

I had to get a refund :(

Everybody who says there's a defense force for something are actually on the opposite side defending somethin as well. So you on a defense force as well and so am I. There really is a defense force for everything... howbowdah??

Top Bottom