• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData: Nintendo sells 2.4m Switch consoles in 1st month; above original forecast

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Lock if old. https://venturebeat.com/2017/04/14/...ion-switch-consoles-worldwide-in-first-month/

Research firm SuperData revealed today that its analysis shows that Nintendo has sold 2.4 million Switches during its first month of release. The home console/portable hybrid launched worldwide on March 3. SuperData noted that it collaborated with market researcher Gfk and the Japanese gaming publication Famitsu to come up with the figure.

SuperData now projects that the Switch will sell 7.2 million consoles in 2017. That is up from its original forecast of 5 million units, showing that this is a better start than the research group was expecting.

Thankfully Nintendo managed to squeeze out an extra 400k then! And to think Nintendo likely weren't even sure they'd make it to 2m in March in sales!

Great news if true!

Although if that WSJ report of Nintendo doubling production to 16m for FY17 is accurate, I'd think 7.2m for this year is a bit low. I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks 10m for 2017, almost certainly for FY17 (AKA by April 2018).

But.... Guys.... This doesn't mean anything... The Switch is still doomed to bomb Wii U numbers... Guys.....

The Switch did all this in March while Wii U needed to do that in two holiday months to boot.

The Wii U was also far less supply constrained I believe. I remember seeing boxes of them in my local Gamestop the week after launch.

J@hranimo

Banned
Nintendo really is getting back on top

Not yet, I need 2017 to pan out and damn near outsell the Wii U to say that.

Looking good Nintendo! And with the MK8D -> Arms -> Splatoon 2 back to back releases they should keep good momentum too. I hope some publishers are paying attention too.

7.2 million predicted? At this point I'd be surprised if it's not 1-2 million higher than that.
It does seem a little low. Of course they can't keep up the rate from the first month, but this would make the 9 remaining months of the year each about 22% of the first month. Some significantly less, if there's to be any holiday bump.

weekev

Banned
Wowsers.

and Wii U sold 890,000 in 6 weeks

Edit: That's US only, currently finding full numbers
Full numbers in the same article you linked was 2.5-3 mil in first 6 weeks. Switch will beat that but notably is launching in March rather than November and has been seriously supply restricted. It could actually beat WiiU in its first full year considering it has several big ticket releases and a holiday season to come.

But.... Guys.... This doesn't mean anything... The Switch is still doomed to bomb Wii U numbers... Guys.....

The Switch did all this in March while Wii U needed to do that in two holiday months to boot.

Whilst the comments pre release suggesting the switch would be a wii U level failure were ludicrous I think it can be easy to go too far the other way. The switch is the culmination of nintendos handheld and home console HW, if it doesn't utterly destroy the wii U in sales then that would be a disaster for Nintendo.

So far things are looking great but it has only been 1 month, things can change quickly.

Pinky

Banned
giphy.gif

With how well Nintendo traditionally performs in the holidays that seems like a conservative estimate assuming the 2.4 million number is true. I think the switch potentially could come close to 7 million in NA and Japan alone by the end of 2017.

Full numbers in the same article you linked was 2.5-3 mil in first 6 weeks. Switch will beat that but notably is launching in March rather than November and has been seriously supply restricted. It could actually beat WiiU in its first full year considering it has several big ticket releases and a holiday season to come.

Thank you, I updated the post :)

wildfire

Banned
a healthy handheld gaming industry in 2017.... praise be

$300 price point

Everyone moved from a console to mobile phones.

Some people don't know what they're talking about. The Switch is far from perfect but from the start it clearly was addressing the needs of a market these arguers didn't fit into and lacked the skill to understand.

Mediking

Just in my last college class... I talked to some super casual people who actually own a Switch and think its awesome...

Lol thats huge, in my opinion.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Well damn, that's pretty much their launch shipment. Will be interesting to see how the second month goes. Will the console be able to hold?

Just in my last college class... I talked to some super casual people who actually own a Switch and think its awesome...

Lol thats huge, in my opinion.

Two women in my class at Uni knew all about the Switch when we came back to my house to do group work. We ended up playing 1 2 Switch instead of working aha.

Top Bottom