• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData: Nintendo sells 2.4m Switch consoles in 1st month; above original forecast

Crazy part of this is that it has sold already 20 % of the Wii U total in one month lol (based on roughly 12m WiiUs sold)...

Few places are saying it will sell roughly 5-10 million in 2017? It is going to sell through roughly 75% of the Wii U 4 year total in roughly 8 to 9 months lol...

It could come close to or even outsell the wii Us life time sales in its first year. At this point comparisons with the wii U are basically already obsolete. The question is can the switch match or exceed the 3DS.

If only they had more titles prepared, might have had a reasonable chance to keep the momentum enough to convince third parties.

Hope they knock our socks off at e3.

They're still selling out in multiple markets WW (including probably their 3 biggest markets Japan, NA and France). This is before MK has even hit. So far there they seem to be able to keep momentum going.

I think it's likely to slow down soon but it's hard to say.

Oh, they were errors? Because I remember there were manufacturing variations between what people got Day 1 vs. the rest of the month that new shipments starting coming in. I thought they were proof of newly manufactured batches rather than existing shipments continuing to make their way out to retailers.

"Manufacturing variation" is Nintendo's weird ass way of saying "wow okay this is different from the working ones, someone fucked up."

I opened my launch one up and it had a foam in it, so I don't know what to tell ya on that front.

But is 2.4M is sold, and 2M was produced in the first batch - this means that the second batch is already available for sale? Or was it 2.4M produced in the first batch?

Trying to find the full 4 week numbers for each region..

906k March - United States
547k March - Japan
300k March - Europe (1 week of data only)

Based on these numbers it sold 1.7m March without a full month reporting for Europe.. Based on all reports it is sold out everywhere. I would say based on the 2 Million produced by Nintendo it shipped 500k to both EUR / JAPAN and 1m to the US...

Which means at the BARE mine it met 2m sold to consumers for March.. which easily could be over that number if they continued to manufacture them quickly.

Mokujin

That sounds really nice, good start, the more it sells the more developers would want to be onboard.

Really happy about Zelda and getting across the message that this is a nice direction for Nintendo adventure games (now give us a proper Metroid :wink,wink:)

Pinky

Banned
My God... When Splatoon 2 launches in Japan...

MY1G6.gif

It could come close to or even outsell the wii Us life time sales in its first year. At this point comparisons with the wii U are basically already obsolete. The question is can the switch match or exceed the 3DS.

I think that question is premature .. how much of the Switch sales right now can be attributed to hype? Because it can for sure die down in the coming months.. What will the ramp up be for the Holiday season?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Assuming Nintendo is able to produce 1 million units a month, they could sell as much as 11 millions by end of 2017.

I think that question is premature .. how much of the Switch sales right now can be attributed to hype? Because it can for sure die down in the coming months.. What will the ramp up be for the Holiday season?

Theres huge queues for shipments in america and shops in japan are selling it by raffle, that kind of demand will take many weeks if not a few months to satisfy, by which time splatoon will launch and just ink everything in its sight

Salvadora

SuperData is suspect, but this is a reasonable estimation based upon available sales data and Nintendo's statements re: production.

7.2m appears to be a (very) conservative projection of 2017 sales, but that will depend largely on software releases.

Pokemon, for example, is a big question mark.

marc^o^

Hype won't go away but will only build up. You'll hear about Mario Kart LAN parties, people improvising vs Street Fighter 2 matches in queues at E3, we'll see Retro new game among other announcements, we'll discover the full Arms game, Splatoon 2 treated as an esport, the first Zelda DLC, Fifa 18, NBA 2K, Skyrim in portable versions, we'll have old Nintendo classics with online mode added, we'll get fall games including Mario Odyssey, the second Zelda DLC, with dozens of indie games/other unannounced games, etc. What could go wrong in terms of hype? These first 9 months are simply spectacular, we don't fully realize it yet.

1. Nintendo Directs throughout the year
2. E3
3. Release of multiplayer titles like ARMS, MK8 and Splatoon 2
4. Mario Odyssey for the holidays

And that's ignoring any random releases we get during the year as those seem to get announced seemingly at random

Ric Flair

Banned
a healthy handheld gaming industry in 2017.... praise be
Mm, I don't know if I'd call the switch a handheld system, that's implying the quality isn't up to par with other home consoles, and I'd argue against that point. It does both handheld and home-console gaming well, I'd call it more a hybrid gaming machine than anything else

Asd202

Hype won't go away but will only build up. You'll hear about Mario Kart LAN parties, people improvising vs Street Fighter 2 matches in queues at E3, we'll see Retro new game among other announcements, we'll discover the full Arms game, Splatoon 2 treated as an esport, the first Zelda DLC, Fifa 18, NBA 2K, Skyrim in portable versions, we'll have old Nintendo classics with online mode added, we'll get fall games including Mario Odyssey, the second Zelda DLC, with dozens of indie games/other unannounced games, etc. What could go wrong in terms of hype? These first 9 months are simply spectacular, we don't fully realize it yet.

Or you'll hear about how Switch has no new games or how there are full priced remasters or over expenisve games on the system or how there is paid online now.

marc^o^

Or you'll hear about how Switch has no new games or how there are full priced remasters or over expenisve games on the system or how there is paid online now.
What I listed would still remain, even if 3rd parties boycotted the system. Nintendo would still announce new games, indies would still announce new games. Media apps could be coming, as well as new peripherals (new joy-cons color variations at the minimum). Price was supposed to be a DOA signal, it's clearly not. Online fee is small when you have phenomenon online addictive games like Mario Kart or Splatoon 2, and classic Nintendo games people buy on NES, or whatever new system they release, for the first time playable online with voice chat made familiar to facetime/hangout users.

It all builds up.

DrWong

They sold what was shipped and April seems to be the same so far. Like many here I'm expecting a few millions more than the 7.2M predicted by "superdata" (lol) for this calendar year.

Zedark

Is SuperData a good source? I thought they only did guesses?

True, but anyone can make this guess. From the data we know, we can already say Switch is at 1921k sold, while missing loads of data from Europe and all regions that are not Europe, NA or Japan, so 2.4 million makes a lot of sense.

Based on what im seeing average weekly sales are like 250k for the ps4 and 100k for the xbox 1 (correct me if im wrong).

Based on the PS4s curve your looking at almost 1 million sold per month. Do we think the Switch will match the production and sales of the PS4 on a weekly basis after the launch window?

1 Million per month after the craze seems a bit high for expectations IMO especially considering Nintendo cant even make enough Switches right now.

It'll clear 5 million, and if the stars align 7 million. But there is no way in hell it clears anything past that with the library they are showing now until the end of the year.
If they can bring out Animal Crossing and Pokémon by March of next year, we could see 10. That's the ONLY way. People saying it'll beat Wii U lifetime by the end of this are smoking that really good stuff.

That 7.2 million seems very low. Lowballing it, I could see at least 2.5 million between November and December and selling less than 2.6 million between April and October is pretty unlikely, that's like an average of less than 400k a month worldwide. If Nintendo had nothing during the summer, I could believe it but not with this lineup

Top Bottom