• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

giveaway: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap for Nintendo Switch (US or EU)

maxcriden

Edit: a winner has been chosen. Congrats to Cerium!

--

I've got one digital copy of the game to give away. I'll plan to pick a winner in a few days. See "how to enter" below.

annunciata-data-uscita-wonder-boy-the-dragon-s-trap-v3-286810-1280x720.jpg

Here's the game description from the official site:

Cursed into a half-human, half-lizard monstrosity by the Meka-Dragon,
a lonesome adventurer is facing the challenge of a lifetime!
In search for a cure, our mutated anti-hero will explore the many traps of Monster Land...
and defeat many stuff-throwing, curse-wielding dragons.
How many more transformations can one hopeful body survive
as it turns into a Lizard, a Mouse, a Piranha, a Lion, and a Hawk...
The six different forms of our shape-shifting hero
make up the cast of this non-stop action-adventure platformer!

pCvklXm.gif

Switch footage (docked): http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/02/24/12-minutes-of-wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-on-nintendo-switch

The game is also coming to PS4 and XB1. It comes out for all three platforms, except XB1 in some regions, April 19th.

For more info, check out liquidtmd's rad OT here!

--

How to Enter

To enter, please tell me about your favorite Metroidvania, or a character transformation you particularly enjoyed in a game you've played.

Feel free to interpret that as generally or specifically as you like! I want some deets about why you liked it. And just to keep the entries varied and interesting, you will get greater consideration if it's not an oft-discussed game or transformation. This way we can each get some good game recommendations in here in addition to entering the giveaway. ☺

Please note: I don't have any affiliation with the publisher or developer. When I do giveaways, sometimes the copies are from me, and sometimes I've gotten them from the developer. I don't receive any compensation for this. I just like to give away games on GAF.

Don't want to enter to win because I plan to buy the game the moment it comes out, but I wanted to mention my favorite game transformations: transforming into Fredan and Shadow in Illusion of Gaia. Everyone should play that game.

My favorite is Dawn of Sorrow, Igarashi's best game because it balances combat with light RPG elements the best out of all his games. The bosses are great and the pacing is really top notch as far as new levels and enemies go. Love that game.

Luigiv

I'm game. I'll answer both (though I'm not expecting to win with my lazy answers).

Favourite Metroivania: Can't pick between Super Metroid, Metroid Prime and Symphony of the Night. They're all amazing. Why are making me chose!

Favourite Transformation: Come on son, there's only one valid answer.
MzvQ1ix.png

Edit: Actually I'll be a little less lazy and elaborate on why Fierce Deity is so awesome.

For me it begins with a misunderstanding. So I reach the end of the game and it's my first attempt against Majora's Mask, but I can't figure out how to hurt his first form (it never occurs to me to transform to Zora form and use the boomerang fin). So instead of doing the sensible thing and persisting, I think to myself "Hey, maybe I'm not suppose to be able to beat him yet and maybe I need to collect all the masks and complete all the moon kids' challenges first to get the final mask". Mind you at the time I had no idea what the final mask could possibly be, I was just going on a hunch. So, with that I spend the next however many weeks/months collecting all the remaining masks, scouring FAQs when I could my dial up internet. I then returned to the moon and completed all the moon kids' challenges and I am finally rewarded with the Fierce Deity mask. "Huh what's this meant to be?" I think to myself. The fuzzy graphics on my small and poorly calibrated CRT made it pretty difficult to work out what the icon was suppose to represent. I then finally re-enter the boss room with Majora, after not attempting for so long, and proceeded to try on the mask. What happened over the next ten minutes absolutely blew my 10 year old mind.

Cave Story. That game is so perfect in my eyes, I still fondly remember when I first played it. It's really a masterpiece, and still blows my mind that it was made by one person.

Although I wouldn't really consider it a metroidvania, the game with THE BEST transformations is E.V.O Search for Eden. So many options. There's nothing more satisfying than evolving from a bitchy little fish into a badass dinosaur.

My favourite of the modern metroidvanias is definitely Guacamelee. Ultra slick presentation, lots of in jokes, great level design. Challenging but not frustrating. The combat system is great as well. Combines a lot of great elements from action games with the traditional metroidvania exploration.

The Dragon's Trap remake actually looks really slick as well. It'll probably be nostalgia overload for me because the SMS was my first console, but can't wait to try it out.

My favorite is Metroid Zero Mission, which is probably the best Metroidvania I have played in my life.
Not only that but probably the one of the best remakes I have played thus far.

MZM is ripe on exploration and replayability.
You can play it like any other Metroid on your first playthrough but there are actually so many shortcuts which make it just perfect for speedrunning. Coming from Metroid Fusion that's actually very interesting, as Fusion was a very linear Metroid experience.
It also brought me into the speedrun scene, which was still very young at that time. My personal best is 37 minutes (any%, Normal, in-game time).
I loved how you can actually complete the game with only 9 items (10 in the non-European releases) and I made a route completely in my head without playing the game during school hours. I attempted it but never finished it. I could never beat Ridley with only 5 or 10 Missiles. Over the years I lost that route but other low% speedruns show me that I wasn't that far off the ideal route in this game.

I learned so much about speedrunning, level design in Metroidvanias and of course the game itself from this single game.
I regularly come back at attempting any% speedruns, but techniques for this game have become so complicated to do that I basically gave up on it :(

Still, it's perfect and I love it. And that's why it's the best Metroidvania game ever to me.

PMS341

Some of my favorite character transformations were actually from one of the earliest games I played - Little Nemo: The Dream Master for NES.

It was a 2D Capcom side-scroller based on the animated movie based on the original comic series. The game itself isn't particularly spectacular or anything, but it was a solid platformer with interesting (and strange) "transformations":

8OKDao4.gif

You would feed certain animals candy, and in turn, you would either ride or "become" them for puzzle-solving portions. Some let you dig, swim faster, jump higher, etc.

FgRf8K5.gif

P8Dc3Bl.png

Again, the game isn't perfect, but definitely charming (mainly due to the source material, but still).

jph139

Would love to win this one - had my eye on it for a while.

My favorite Metroidvania is probably Dust: An Elysian Tail. Honestly, I'm not sure why - story is cheesy, art style isn't for me, gameplay isn't anything groundbreaking. But it's super charming, and it was just the right level of complexity for me. You can tell it was a labor of love, and the end result was an incredibly charming little game.

I played through the entire thing 100% in a single weekend, and went to sleep with it playing on my eyelids. Such a great experience that'll stick with me forever.

maxcriden

My favorite is Ori and the Blind Forest. I love the art style and the story really made me teary-eyed.

Ori is really incredible. I got a bit teary at it myself. The game bested Super Metroid for me personally. I hear Hollow Knight is just as good, so I am very keen to play that one as well.

I think Ori and the Blind Forest is without a doubt my favorite Metroidvania game. It looks beautiful, the story really got to me, and the gameplay is tough but satisfying. The "escape" sequences in particular were really enjoyable for me.

Ori doesn't transform into another character, but the mobility upgrades you get make revisiting old areas really enjoyable. I'm really hoping that we get the sequel I've seen rumored a few times!

Gala

Thanks again for the awesome giveaway!

I have to go with Steamworld Dig here. I was never a huge fan of Minecraft and the sorts of games, but Steamworld Dig totally got me into digging with it's mix of Metroidvania gameplay, short but cool story and most of all the setting. I love the steamworld robot cowboys and their design and what they have to say. Even though the game is pretty short, it really gives you a feeling of the world. Being short was also one of the big advantages of the game, as the gameplay felt super tight and the game felt never too long.
I'm super happy that they announced the sequel a couple of weeks ago.

Yo! My favorite metroidvania in the past few years is definitely Guacamelee! It's very, very rare that I see Latin influences in a game that aren't centered around the drug trade or crime. I'm in love with this game.

From a cultural standpoint and just for the games industry in general, this game is invaluable.

Guacamelee took the cake for me. Everything from art direction to music to fighting system hooked me from the beginning. The game ramped up the difficluty quickly and just kept hitting you with more complex enemies to combo and body slam. Nothing about it felt cheap.

Then they released more costumes. Co-op. Challenge mode. More characters that play differently. I don't platinum many games. But guacemelee got my full effort.

Even if I don't win, I'm buying this game. Might double on PS4 and switch.

LordKano

I like to see my gif being so useful lol. I'll buy it on Switch before the giveaway ends so if I win I'll likely gift it to a friend.

I won't talk about my favorite Metroidvania (because it's Super Metroid like absolutely everyone, duh) but I'm more enticed to talk about another one that I discovered last year, and particularly enjoyed.
header.jpg

Owlboy is an action/plateformer/metroidvania in which you play as Otus, a mute young owl boy, who can't fly and instead use a magic cloack. Despite being the cutest animal I've ever seen, he's highly disregarded in his village because of his unability to fly with ease. Beside, he's friend with Geddy, a cool guy but mocked because of his weird hobbys.

I won't detail how the story goes on after this, but if you like epic journey featuring a character looking for himself, and trying to prove his braveness, despite being unable to speak, you're in for a treat. Characters, story, backgrounds, narration and writing are completely in point in that game.

Concerning the actual gameplay, it's a pure metroidvania but with the twist that you can actually fly from the start. Instead of going left or right, you're free to move however you want and discover all the little secrets hidden here and there. Something cool with how you attack ennemies : Otus can't really take down ennemies by himself, so instead he carry his friend Geddy (and some other friends you'll encounter later) who shoots with his power-gun.

Bonus point : soundtrack is aced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yaf9UdSlxY

The game's currently only available on PC. I don't know if it's planned for consoles. It had a long development, originally started in 2009 for XBLA.

Awesome giveaway max! :D

My fav Metroidvania is definitely Steamworld Dig, so much so I even made a LTTP about it!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120768

I loved the feeling of digging through an unknown land and seeing what stuff you'll come across, and the upgrade system was a really cool idea and I think each felt like a new toy to play with.

It can get difficult, you'll have to remember that you'll take fall damage (but you get an upgrade that makes you immune to that).

It's not terribly long, but I REALLY enjoyed it and it totally caught me by surprise. I specifically played the 3DS version and I also have it on Wii U, but I found it more enjoyable on a portable. It's out for basically all current systems; 3DS, Wii U, Vita, PS4, XBO, PC, Mac, and Linux.

I'm really excited for Steamworld Dig 2 on Switch!

Favourite Metroidvania? Probably Symphony of the Night. It set a lot of the standards a whole bunch of modern games in the same vein adhere to today while using a bunch of elements from older games (Like transformations from Wonderboy!). The map layout is so distinct and memorable that I could jump back into it now and remember where all the hidden rooms and items are. The twist halfway of being able to traverse an upside down version of the same envionment as Richter Belmont with more traditional castlevania gameplay was a touch of genius and seeing how the castle is still just as easy to traverse flipped upside down with a different moveset shows that a ton of care went into the design of the map. The RPG lite elements were nice as well and I feel that it handled those elements better than most of the games that came before it.

I'm so grateful it's been made available to a new audience through XBLA and other digital distribution methods, much like Dragon's Trap! As somebody who only experienced the original version of the game just recently I'm psyched as all hell for the remake.

My favorite might be Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.
My favorite transformation is Panther Form in Bayonetta, because the mobility is just too fun.

Type40

The way Axiom Verge handles traveling around the environment one you were powered up was very impressive.

While not a true transformation, the formation on Impact in Goemon 64 is super fun and an amazing homage to the old giant robot animes.

Super Metroid is my favorite. The feeling of isolation, the sense of danger at any corner....oh man. I couldn't get over how bad I feel the direction Metroid has been going.

My runner up is definitely C: Dawn of Sorrow. I haven't finished Symphony of the Night yet so I can't say it's my second favorite.

My favorite transformation is the Fairy transformation in Zelda II
310528-zelda-ii-the-adventure-of-link-nes-screenshot-you-need-the.png

Why?
It's just so... odd. It's weird, makes virtually no sense, and has very few practical applications. However, it's extraordinarily charming and the few practical applications were fun and felt like I was rewarded for trying to do something stupid. But most importantly, it's just the kind of thing I would do given unlimited creative space to do whatever I want in a fantasy adventure, I'd try to get it done in the stupidest and most novel way possible, and literally turning into a fairy (which is a staple in the series but never used in this way) is just so fun and interesting. The "wait what" when I first turned into one turned into a huge smile and I still smile when I think about it.

Regiruler

My favorite character transformation would have to be Wolf Form from Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Not for its mechanics, but rather for the way you're forced to act around other characters. You can't change in front of other people, and your friends will see you as a monster. A few handful of humans are relaxed and won't care, and the other races don't care either.

tebunker

Banned
The Guardian Legend may be one of my most favorite and yet confusing and difficult games.

You explore the map with an overhead isometric view. You cna go anywhere and collect powerups in any order. There are multiple awesome weapons and upgrades and you are never forced to do one thing first.

What's great about it is that you transform in to a freaking jet and play through shooter stages and bosses.

Honestly I can't think of a game that combines the metroid-esque exploration with transforming much better.

However the game has its faults because there is no direction given it can get confusing and needlessly difficult. The password system sucked and yoi could lose a lot of progress. Fortunately the graphics/music/game play made up for a lot of those mid 80's gaming shortcomings.

This would be a perfect game for a virtual console type service with save states. Sadly this is one of those titles that exists in some kind of licensing hell. So find a cartridge and then use an emulator or clone system with rom dumps and save states.

moby games link for images etc.

You owe it to yourself to see some of the jank a lot of dealt with growing up but also to see how some of these games have a real charm.

Fireblend

Banned
I have too many fond memories with Metroidvanias. I think I'm gonna go with Ori and the Blind Forest, though Guacamelee and Dust: An Elysian Tail are also very worthy contenders for the top spot. What makes Ori magical for me is the tight gameplay (the escape sequences are brilliant and I'll fight anyone who disagrees), the music is outstanding (I still listen to the OST from time to time) and the art and the way the game leverages it to tell a story is pretty brilliant. It really has some breathtaking scenes/set pieces.

Edit: Someone mentioned Cave Story and I can't believe I forgot about it. Yeah, 100%, also worthy of the top spot. I've beaten it fully like 4 times in different platforms and I'm still considering getting it for the Switch once it releases - it's not only an outstanding game, it holds a special place in my heart. Cave Story's historical significance as an early posterchild of indie gaming makes it one of the most important video games in the industry, IMO.

On the Metroid side, I think Metroid Fusion is the one I enjoyed the most, while I'm gonna go with pretty much every single DS Castlevania for that series. Dawn of Sorrow opened my eyes to the franchise and I've never looked back. Really hoping to hear positive impressions for Bloodstained once that releases.

About character transformations... if Kirby counts then he's the GOAT on that front :p I specially liked the combination system from Kirby 64 and wish they went back to it now with a ton more base powers to merge and potential power results. Plus he was my main in the original Smash Bros. If not, then the inklings from Splatoon are gonna be my choice because of how incredibly well the concept of the transformation fits into the game's mechanics. Can't wait for the next Smash game with the inevitable Splatoon reps :D

jb1234

My favorite Metroidvania (at this time) is Hollow Knight. Most games in the genre don't last over ten hours and a good chunk of them are half that length. Hollow Knight sustains its length for thirty hours with energy to spare. Most of the credit goes to its vast world (over half of which is optional), well-balanced gameplay and compelling presentation, with beautiful art and music.

The only downside is that I'm not sure there's ever going to be a game in the genre that can do better. It has ruined all other Metroidvanias.

I really really like Cave Story. Not only that, I'm one of those purists who thinks that the freeware version is best. The fan translation is better than the official one, the music is better, the graphics are better and the controls feel better.

Pixel made every aspect of that game and the versions where he did not have total control really show.

Boylamite

How cool of you! I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for a chance at this.

My favorite metroidvania would have to be... super metroid. It's the pinnacle of 2d platforming And exploration. The sense of empowerment you get as you find all the weapons and powerups is fantastic. So many secrets and so much attention to detail. I really hope that we get another 2d metroid one day.

I had this game as a kid but my parents gave it away when I moved on to n64 and PlayStation. I regret that so much, and have been trying to track down a reasonably priced copy of this for years. I am likely going to have to buckle and pay thr going rate for it.

Favorite transformation of a character? I think this goes to spec ops:the line. Say what you will about this game, but watching the transformation the main character goes through is a harrowing experience. I don't recall specific encounters anymore, but there are some specific story beats that I will never forget.

Metroid

Favourite Metroidvania is also the most perfect Metroidvania: Super Metroid, hands down. I usually don't think there is something like a "perfect" game, but with this I wouldn't even know a single thing I would change. I know, I know it's definitely not the least discussed game here, but will always hold a special place in my heart.

As for a transformation:
07%20Beast%20Within%20(Panther).jpg

I really liked the panther transformation in Bayonetta 1/2. Felt awesome, and the design was nice :)

I am not exactly sure if this one qualifies, but my favorite 'Metroidvania' game is Legendary Wings for the original NES. Played it to death on one player, and was even more fun when doing co-op. It even came out on the same year as both Metroid and Castlevania.

As far as transformations, and again I know this isn't exactly a transformation, but Xenogears would be my choice. Mounting those 'Gears' on the game was as exciting as it got.

Best transformation for me was always Rei's in Breath of Fire 3:

TtOG9Pu.gif

As the animation suggests from the headpain, he loses control in this form (though there is an ability that can help with this).

While he's a Weretiger he has a totally different attack animation which I always loved:

2K3NNf2.gif

It's a really cool one as it's not an entirely beneficial transformation (while in weretiger mode he gains immense strength, but will slowly lose control, and if you don't have an ability to channel his attacks he will eventually attack your party members). The loss of control also parallels Rei's personal downwards spiral at the point in the game you gain the ability.

ME3EnGf.gif

Kudos for doing a giveaway, OP.

I haven't got into playing/beating the more popular Metroidvania games since I was very young back then (Symphony of the Night, Super Metroid), but there have been a good amount of recent Metroidvania games today that I have played through and beaten thanks to indies.

My favorite Metroidvania would have to be Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. It has an engaging soundtrack, colorful sprites pleasing to the eye (at least on my 3DS), and being a fun thrill to speedrun when the game is beaten. At first you're taking your time traversing through the worlds and looking for where collectibles may be and what you need to reach them, but upon your second playthrough, things snap into your mind at the right time. You understand the level layout, what collectibles can/can't be accessed before checking, and you're working much quicker than you would in your first playthrough because you're now more experienced with the game.

It's an arguable thing since transformations are (supposed to be) one of the most vital features of a Shantae game, but Pirate's Curse makes things more streamlined. Rather than press a button to begin dancing and doing button prompts or waiting seconds for the next transformation that you want, you actually get weapons that are more right at home with a regular Metroidvania.

You get boots that allow you to dash, a cannon that is a glorified double jump, a pistol to shoot ranged and at hard-to-reach spots, and a couple more. These are pretty basic upgrades in your Metroidvania games, but in Shantae's case, it makes the flow of the game faster than using transformations every once in a while (although Half-Genie Hero helped transformations become much more faster to use) since Shantae herself doesn't get any unique upgrades to get around obstacles in other games. It's odd to say, but the game benefits greater from not having transformations.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is a pretty fun Metroidvania and I recommend playing it. Although I'm surprised that it is still $20 on Steam (and possibly on other platforms) to this day, so it wouldn't hurt waiting for a sale to make it a better bang for your buck.

I'd piggyback on Ori being the best recent one that comes to mind (although, I have yet to play Axiom Verge.) The visuals were amazing along with the soundtrack, but I think the boss levels were not my favorite, but I believe that is the trend.

Might be cheating but Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is probably my all time favorite. I think because my brother and I played it at the same time, could talk about it etc. I know I've played it at least 2x completely and I rarely do that with games. For some reason, we never had SotN on PS1, so this was the first Castlevania I remember with different weapons than the whip. Later played SotN on PSP, which is great obviously, but Aria sticks with me more because of the reasons above.

Duxxy3

Not sure I have a single favorite metroidvania, so I'll go with the first one that came to mind. One that probably won't get mentioned - Monster Tale. It is the most recent metroidvania that I've played. I typically play metroidvania's on my portables and there just haven't been any in a long time.

I think I played it on one of my 3DS's. I've played a lot of metroidvania's on portables, but there had been a long drought after Order of Ecclesia (which I didn't actually like).

I think what I like most about the game is just how colorful it is. How different the art style is from the other metroidvania's I've played. I'm used to a more realistic style, especially from the castlevania's released in the past 20 years. So this was a nice break. Even with that stylistic change its gameplay and system were classic metroidvania. I've tried other so called metroidvania's since then, but they don't have all of the elements that really make it whole. They all have pieces of a metroidvania, but aren't the complete package.

Order of Ecclesia is a game that should have clicked for me. Castlevania on a portable. Couldn't get easier than that. But it never did. Monster tale immediately clicked for me.

robot

A recent favorite metroidvania of mine is Blaster Master Zero. Love how it takes the original game and expands on it, despite losing some of the challenge. Just a really fun game all around.

My favorite Metroidvania that I have played recently was Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight. It was just a joy to play. I love how compact the world was. It just felt masterfully crafted. The perfect level of challenge as well.

I expect Metroidvanias to be covered so I'll go for character transformation.

The most effective one I experienced in recent years probably goes to last year's INSIDE.

INSIDE spoilers inside!!

The reason the mutation or whatever at the end of INSIDE is so effective is because it made me feel...victimized. It's a horrifying outcome. Transformations in games typically make you feel more powerful, but this one makes you feel deprived of power/agency at the same time you're mowing down scientists and destroying the facility.
This is the price you pay for the freedom (?) at the end of the game. It's all very reminiscent of the sort of horror you experience in David Cronenberg or David Lynch films.
It comes from the deepest reach of our subconscious.

Edit: US code, if that matters. And thanks again to max for another giveaway!

ITSMILNER

My favourite Metroidvania would have to be Guccamelee, played through it on PS3 and absolutely adored it. The unique graphical/art style looked great and made the world come alive with its vibrant colours.

In terms of Tranformation, I can't pick just the one but that's got to be Asura's Wrath, one hell of a crazy game and his transformations in that game just went batshit crazy!

My favorite Metroidvania (besides Super Metroid) is Steamworld Dig. It felt like Super Metroid but you had to dig your own tunnels. I think I got it in a humble bundle so it was pleasant surprise. I can't wait for the sequel!

vern

Hey max! Thanks for another giveaway.

I liked Outland on PS3. It had an interesting light/dark Ikaruga mechanic, a well designed and challenging world, and great art style. Not my favorite metroidvania ever (super metroid duh) but it was prettt great anyway. Everyone should give it a go.

lilty

Just want to say this is very generous of you. Always happy to see threads like this.

I haven't played a ton of Metroidvania games admittedly, but my favourite of the few I've played is definitely Super Metroid. It has a really great atmosphere and set pieces that stand out to me and the gameplay is still solid to this day. I actually played this back when it released on the Wii U for $0.30. Best bang for my buck ever.

I still think Kid Chameleon on Sega Genesis is one of the best ones, not as open as a SoTN Castlevania, but still similar in style to original Metroid maybe. The amount of characters to swap to at the time with the different powers was and is still pretty incredible. I don't know off the top of my head if that came first or Wonderboy came first as they are pretty similar, but I'd say Kid Chameleon holds a special spot in this category.

1a724f301a15f42633cdf64860ac7fde.jpg

69wpm

I loved transforming into a Kraken in Splatoon — enemies probably didn't find it as fun as me. The developers really nailed the transformation. You can feel the weight to this character and it does seem really powerful, especially compared to the normal squid form of the Inklings.

xsgygd.png

Thanks for doing this give-away (EU code btw).

My favorite Metroidvania is Metroid Fusion. I've never beaten a Metroid game until I got this game as part of the 3DS Ambassador Program. This game was very literally with fighting yourself, as you have to run every time. You would have to power yourself up and kill, before you get killed.

It was a very satisfying game from beginning to end when you finally win.

Thanks for the giveaway, Max!

weekev

Banned
Awesome giveaway, thanks max. My favourite transformation is turning into a motorbike on Yoshi's Wooly World. Those levels (framerate aside) were just so much fun.

JaseMath

When I was a kid—SNES years, this would've been—I was obsessed with Terra's transformation from human to Esper. I would transform back and forth for minutes. Something about the sound effect and her being neon hypnotized me.

Put me down for the US version. Thanks for doing this—it's very generous of you! :D

I'm likely going to buy the game so don't give me the code, but I want to share a very different character transformation that few people here would probably think of. (Spoilers for a game from 1993!)

Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness is probably in my top 5 favorite games (which shift around constantly) both for its ingenious and logical gameplay but also for its story (which I personally think is the best told story in any game) which has several incredibly emotional moments. There are two that involve transformation as a general concept, but one of them is an actual, physical transformation-

Toby and Tanya. Basically, the gist of this is that there is a staff that you need to pull out its resting place in order to essentially save the world, but the staff is protected by a spell which requires one to sacrifice their own life in order to bring a loved one back to life (I think it's called the Destiny Spell or Ritual of Release or something). During your travels you hear about an innkeeper and his wife who lost their young daughter a long time ago to "monsters", and you find out that she has been taken and transformed into a vampire by the main antagonist of the game. However, before she was taken, she was often found talking about her imaginary friend Toby who turned out to be not only real, but a huge monster with a very kind and loving heart.

Toby would always take care of Tanya even after she was turned. He was incredibly protective of her, such that when the hero comes to visit their room in the castle and tells her about how much her parents miss her, and about this Destiny Spell, Toby, without a word, agrees to bring Tanya and the hero to the staff (which lies in the center of the main town of the game) to fulfill the spell. Tanya feels that the town is familiar, but also cold and unwelcoming, but she has no idea what they are doing there. As the spell is performed, the staff asks Toby if he willingly will give his life to restore life to Tanya, and he nods his head solemnly just as Tanya is beginning to understand what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0t33RDuzVA&t=7m41s

So you wind up with the staff needed to save the world and Tanya transforms back from an undead to a live girl. Happy, right? Well not so much, since you basically convinced a kindhearted creature to kill himself in order to achieve this. It's definitely one of the more emotionally complex scenes in any game I've ever played.

Katrina's Sacrifice at the end of the game is also very emotional and also a transformation of sorts (from antagonist/villain to hero) but I think Toby's sacrifice is more fitting for this thread.

God those games are good...

Top Bottom