• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why won't gaming PR faces just be honest about things?

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
People like Reggie and Phil Spencer are some of the faces we see that represent gaming console manufacturers like Nintendo and Xbox and are usually the ones that go out and issue statements and talk to the press.

Just using them as an example and not particularly singling them out, why is it that people like them always seem to skirt around the truth about certain things instead of just being honest....especially in the present climate where info is so easy to obtain online about shareholder meetings, leaked docs and all that. People can go and dig up stuff on the company online and make an educated guess on the reasoning behind your decision making.

Like for example, why didn't Reggie just say "look, we put out the NES Mini to make up for the lull of releases for the holiday season before the Switch, and we won't be making anymore because the games on it will come to and can be played on the Switch now that it has been released." Despite it basically saying "fuck you cause money" at the end of the day consumers aren't stupid and know what it comes down to ...and I feel like if you just be honest with your intentions then expectation can be set and pressure to respond to outrage over something being discontinued/changed/removed/delayed or whatever won't be AS great and vocal.

Amory

Isn't PR basically the art of spinning information into something that sounds better?

Why even have PR if they're not gonna do that

Ataru Moroboshi

Neo Member
I often give them the benifit of doubt that the truth is lost in so many layers of bureaucracy that no one is even really sure what the truth is till the hydra that is the company spits out the final answer

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I mean I don't own a business so I don't know the financial and "political" details behind the whole PR "softspeak" or whatever but I feel like if the public wants to know something about your product, it should at least come from the horses mouth instead of a gaming journalism site or leaked docs or hearsay...especially when these alternative sources can spin the message and make you out to a bad guy/anti-consumer, etc etc

JeffGrubb

Because they are publicly traded companies, and it is surprisingly easy to trick traders. Remember how Nintendo got a bump because investors didn't remember that Pokemon is owned by an outside group? Wall Street investors are incredibly stupid and easily spooked, so company spokespeople have to speak to them as if they were speaking to children to ensure their stock prices don't take a sudden dive.

Chinbo37

It's the same for all companies. Car companies, alcohol, cigarettes, United Airlines etc.

Basically it's spin the truth as long as possible until it's so obvious it's a blatant lie and then just apologize without really apologizing.

I was basically fine with this for big companies cause I never believe anything they said but now that it's the norm in politics as well it is kind of depressing.

"D"

Because that would make them look bad......?

If you do something then its gonna come to light anyway, might as well try to soften the blow instead of looking WORSE is all I'm really saying

I understand why PR is there but I just feel like its kinda dumb to have sometimes cause people are gonna find out and be even more pissed

xabbott

Telling the truth can have a costly outcome.Everything these people say can and will be used against them and the company they represent. Even when something appears to be true to the person saying it, such as "You can't flip a switch." It haunts the company and person for years afterward.

Ataru Moroboshi

Neo Member
[QUOTE="D";235349350]If you do something then its gonna come to light anyway, might as well try to soften the blow instead of looking WORSE is all I'm really saying[/QUOTE]

Often the company just hopes that it can sweep the truth under the rug when the drama dies down

[QUOTE="D";235349200]I mean I don't own a business so I don't know the financial and "political" details behind the whole PR "softspeak" or whatever but I feel like if the public wants to know something about your product, it should at least come from the horses mouth instead of a gaming journalism site or leaked docs or hearsay...especially when these alternative sources can spin the message and make you out to a bad guy/anti-consumer, etc etc[/QUOTE]

But in the OP you wrote:
People like Reggie and Phil Spencer are some of the faces we see that represent gaming console manufacturers like Nintendo and Xbox and are usually the ones that go out and issue statements and talk to the press.

Companies do release statements to the press, and news sites will publish them. Some may offer additional commentary on said statement, which may be the spin you're talking about.

Marcel

PR is for the kind of person that cheers for John Cena without a hint of irony and genuinely believes he kicks out at 2 because he is the strongest, purest man in competitive sports.

reggie_shrugs.png

"D"

Reggie finally spoke up about the NES Mini a while AFTER it was rumored to be discontinued and well into the shortages instead of speaking up when it first started to occur..even saying they were gonna send more

OP...do you know what PR is? lmao. Your argument makes zero sense.

"Why don't painters just stop painting?"

"Why don't teachers just stop teaching?"

"What don't lawyers just stop practicing the law?"

Op, Op, Op, you have been on a roll with your threads lately.

There is literally no reason for companies to be honest to consumers, especially if the news is bad. The only reason to be somewhat honest is if the company has truly fucked up.

Their primarily function is the same function Sean Spicer and Kellyanne Conway have regarding Trump. They aren't in the business of telling the truth.

Being honest and PR are two completely different things. Theres companies that handle it far better but if you expect Phil to say "ok the sales of the Xbox One havent been too hot and thats why we dont have the money for more first party games" then youre being way too idealistic

BiggNife

The job of PR is to exaggerate the truth and gloss over the negatives to convince people to buy their product. If they were 100% honest they would be shitty PR.

Alphahawk

How come my local weatherman doesn't give me the traffic report on the 5's? Same reason, because it's not there jobs.

This thread is weird.

Top Bottom