• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the 7th Generation: Voting Ends June 17th

Results are in. Click here to hop to the ranking.

Introduction

Welcome to NeoGAF's first video game soundtracks of the generation thread! This thread will serve to create a common point of reference for NeoGAF's favourite game soundtracks during the ”Xbox 360/Playstation 3/Wii/DS/DSi/PSP/PC, Arcade and Mobile 2005-2011" era, place a spotlight on the industry's musical talent, and expose people to great video game music that they haven't heard before. It will also host a (hopefully) comprehensive archive of the generation's game music and other related information.

Voting Rules

For your vote, select your ten favourite game soundtracks of the generation and rank them in the order of your preference. Your first pick will receive 10 points, your second pick will receive 9 points, your eight pick will receive 8 points, and so on. Your Honourable Mentions will not count for any points, but will still be tallied accordingly.

Please list at least 1-2 tracks you feel are your favourites from each soundtrack you vote for, as it will make the process of building the Archive much easier.

Code:
Sample Ballot

1. Game A (Will receive 10 points)
2. Game B (Will receive 9 points)
3. Game C (Will receive 8 points)
4. Game D (Will receive 7 points)
5. Game E (Will receive 6 points)
6. Game F (Will receive 5 points)
7. Game G (Will receive 4 points)
8. Game H (Will receive 3 points)
9. Game I (Will receive 2 points)
10. Game J (Will receive 1 point)

Honourable Mentions (if any)

If you wish to do any sort of write-ups for your vote a la the Game of the Year thread, you may do so in any way you wish. Examples of such ballots in previous years are these: Jucksalbe, Papercuts, Levyne, Dark Schala, Nocturnowl, Thoraxes, Axelstream, and Yuterald. There are even more examples in previous threads linked at the bottom if you'd like to work through them to get an idea if you are relatively new to voting. If you do a write-up or make a small comment, I will go through and pick some of the most-encompassing ones to add to the Results Thread.

Voting will end on June 17th at 11:59 PM (PST). The votes will not be counted until after the voting period closes, so you may edit your post and change your vote as many times as you would like before then. Please be patient for the results thread, but we will try to make sure the TAT is efficient.

-----------------------------------

Soundtrack Eligibility

Ineligible Soundtracks:
  • PC/Arcade soundtracks for games released before the year 2005: We think this is pretty self-explanatory. If you have any questions about eligibility, just ask us.
  • Releases post 2011: The end of generations aren't always very clear. Some platforms just keep going, and we're going to arbitrarily draw a line somewhere. For systems like PC, Mobile and Arcades, we're going to draw the line at 2011.
  • Ports, remasters and remakes: Since we specifically want to home in on games of a certain era, we're going to have to render most ports and re-releases ineligible. Remasters and remakes will be allowed if the music sounds meaningfully different from its original release. Some ports might still be allowed depending on western release dates.
Eligible Soundtracks:
  • Platforms allowed: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, DS, DSi, PSP, Ouya, PC 2005-2011, Mobile 2005-2011, Arcades 2005-2011 will be eligible, including licensed and partially-licensed soundtracks.
  • Eligible soundtracks asked about:
    Ace Attorney trilogy, Trails in the Sky FC, Twilight Princess
Additionally, the VGMdb Calendar lists are as follows (you will have to click through each month as it isn't as easy to use as Wiki is):
VGMdb January 2005 releases
VGMdb January 2006 releases
VGMdb January 2007 releases
VGMdb January 2008 releases
VGMdb January 2009 releases
VGMdb January 2010 releases
VGMdb January 2011 releases

To the extent that we're hoping to celebrate new music from this generation and bring some attention to composers' new works, there's a bit of an implied ”honour system" here; if you decide vote for a licensed soundtrack, an explanation as to why you think it was especially fitting for the game or thoughtfully compiled would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions about, or wish to discuss, a soundtrack's eligibility, please feel free to send a PM to me and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Nine times out of ten, my answer will probably be ”yes", but if you're unsure please message me. Anything regarding a soundtrack's eligibility will be added to the list here.

Thread Features

Archive

As the thread continues to grow, we'll assemble an archive of many of this generation's soundtracks. We will include every soundtrack mentioned in your posts (space permitting!). We will also work to include your favourite songs and your descriptions of the soundtracks. If you're passionate about any music from this generation, take this as an opportunity to let people know! Because the generation is so built in depth and many selections, we may not be able to house every single soundtrack posted about in the thread, but we will try to get a broad scope in the archive.

The format is as follows:
  • Game Title
  • Composer(s)
  • Sample Tracks
When and if possible, we will also attempt to reach out to the winning composers and let them know how they did. If they're like Austin Wintory or Jake Kaufman, they may even feel compelled to join up.

So, good luck! Try to have fun when coming up with your ballots and happy listening, everyone!

Past Threads

First to Third Console Generation Voting Thread & Results
Fourth Console Generation Results
Fourth Console Generation Voting Thread
Fifth Console Generation Results
Fifth Console Generation Voting Thread
Sixth Console Generation Results and Archive
Sixth Console Generation Voting thread
2016 Results and Archive
2016 Voting Thread
2015 Results and Archive
2015 Voting Thread
2014 Results and Archive
2014 Voting Thread
2013 Results and Archive
2013 Voting Thread

Game of the Generation Vote
While we're in a voting mood, why not head on over to the GAF Games o' Gen 7 Voting Thread and pass your judgement over these games' overall quality too.

Archive

Alan Wake
Poets of the Fall
The Poet and the Muse
War

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Toshihiko Horiyama, Hideki Okugawa
Questioning ~ Allegro 2007
Pressing Pursuit ~ Cornered
Apollo Justice ~ A New Trial Is In Session!

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk
Daisuke Achiwa, Kazuki Yanagawa and Yu Shimoda
Guidance
Sylpheed
Sleeping Earth

Bastion
Darren Korb
Build That Wall (Zia's Theme)
The Sole Regret
Bynn The Breaker

Bayonetta
Norihiko Hibino, Takahiro Izutani, Yoshitaka Suzuki, Masami Ueda, Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Rei Kondoh, Takayasu Sodeoka, Erina Niwa
Battle for the Umbra Throne
The Greatest Jubilee
You May Call Me Father

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
Daisuke Ishiwatari
Lust SIN

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Lorne Balfe
Whiskey Hotel
Invasion

Call of Duty: World at War
Sean Murray
Vendetta
Heart of the Reich

Civilization IV
Jeffery L. Briggs, Christopher Tin
Baba Yetu

Cladun: This is an RPG!
Kaori Tsutsui, Syntaro Jimbo and Yoh Ohyama
Knight of a Foreign Country
Slicing the Wind
Till Dawn

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Michael McCann
Icarus
Unatco

Double Dragon Neon
Jake Kaufman
Neon Jungle

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
Yuzo Koshiro
That's the Beginning of the Adventure
Engrave Thy Name
Labyrinth I - Waterfall Woodlands

Final Fantasy XIII
Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta, Mitsuto Suzuki, Nobuo Uematsu, Yoshitaka Suzuki
Blinded by Light
Sulyya Springs
Dust to Dust

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Masakazu Sugimori
Main Theme
Detective Jowd: A Captive of Fate
Cabanela: A White Lovely Lanky Man

Guacamelee!
Rom Di Prisco and Peter Chapman
Boss Theme (World of the Dead)
Forest del Chivo
Temple of Rain (World of the Dead)

Gyakuten Kenji 2
Noriyuki Iwadare
Reminiscence ~ IS-7 Incident
Goddess of Law

Journey
Austin Wintory
Apotheosis
Descent
Nadir

Life Is Strange
Jonathan Morali
Episode 01 : Chrysalis - Track 01
Episode 03 : Chaos Theory - Night walk

Little King's Story
Yutaka Minobe, Yoko Shimomura
Skinny Ray
Soup, Sin, and Salvation
New Island

Lost Odyssey
Nobuo Uematsu
Neverending Journey
A Mighty Enemy Appears
Parting Forever

Madworld
Naoto Tanaka
Survival
Look Pimpin!
Get It Up!

Mass Effect
Jack Wall & Sam Hulick
The Normandy
Theme
Uncharted Worlds

Mega Man 10
Ippo Yamada, Ryo Kawakami, Hiroki Isogai, Yu Shimoda
Wily Stage 2
Solar Man
Wily Stage 3

Mega Man 9
Ippo Yamada, Ryo Kawakami, Yu Shimoda, Hiroki Isogai and Takashi Tateishi
Galaxy Man
Concrete Man
Tornado Man

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Jamie Christopherson
Rules of Nature
Collective Consciousness
The Stains of Time

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Harry Gregson-Williams
Old Snake
Paradise lost

Minecraft
Daniel Rosenfeld
Sweden
Dead Voxel

NeoTokyo
Ed Harrison
Automata
Rebuild

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of The White Witch
Joe Hisaishi, Rei Kondoh
Main Theme
The Fairygrounds
Taking To The Skies

NieR
Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama, Keigo Hoashi, Takafumi Nishimura
Hills of Radiant Winds
Emil (Karma)
Shadowlord

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Shinji Hosoe
Morphogenetic Sorrow

Papo & Yo
Brian D'Oliveira
Lost Hope
Lula's Resurrection
A Slow Realization

Persona 5
Shoji Meguro
Beneath the Mask ~rain~
Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Masakazu Sugimori, Naoto Tanaka
Pursuit ~ Cornered
Objection! 2001
Investigation - The Core 2001

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
Noriyuki Iwadare
Trial 2004
Reminiscence ~ The Bitter Taste of Truth
The Fragrance of Dark Coffee

Portal
Kelly Bailey, Mike Morasky
You're not a good person
Taste of Blood

Radiant Historia
Yoko Shimomura
Blue Radiance
Shadows Dance in the Darkness
Wildness and Toughness

Rayman Origins
Christophe Héral and Billy Martin
Shooting Me Softly
Nowhere to Run
Lums of the Water

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
Anamanaguchi
Just Like In The Movies
Rock Club
Another Winter

Shatter
Module
The Amethyst Caverns
Kinetic Harvest
The Argon Refinery

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Takami Asano
Reset Instrumental
Demon of Darkness

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Richard Jacques
Burning Depths
Dragon Canyon

Sonic the Hedgehog
Hideaki Kobayashi, Tomoya Ohtani, Mariko Nanba, Taihei Sato, Takahito Eguchi
Theme (E3 2006)
Aquatic Base - Level 1
Flame Core - The Cavern

Sound Shapes
I Am Robot and Proud, Jim Guthrie, deadmou5, Beck
I Am Robot and Proud - Hills n' Spills
I Am Robot and Proud - Hypoglacia
Beck - Cities

Spec Ops: The Line
Elia Cmíral
Glasgow Mega Snake
Welcome To Hell

Super Mario Galaxy
Mahito Yokota, Koji Kondo
Buoy Base Galaxy
Gusty Garden Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mahito Yokota, Ryo Nagamatsu, Koji Kondo
Bowser's Galaxy Generator
Puzzle Plank Galaxy
Final Bowser Battle

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Takahiro Nishi, Shogo Sakai, Masaaki Iwasaki, Yutaka Iraha, Keigo Ozaki, Kentaro Ishizaka, and every other person on the planet
Go K.K. Rider
Unfounded Revenge / Smashing Song of Praise

Team Fortress 2
Mike Morasky
Rocket Jump Waltz
Archimedes
Intruder Alert

Tekken 6
Rio Hamamoto, Ryuichi Takada, Keiichi Okabe, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Shinji Hosoe, Yoshihito Yano, Ayako Saso, Go Shiina, Satoru Kosaki, Akitaka Tohyama, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masaharu Iwata, Yoshimi Kudo, Noriyuki Kamikura, Azusa Chiba, Kimihiro Abe, Mitsuhiro Kaneda, Keigo Hoashi, Keiki Kobayashi, and Kakeru Ishihama
Mystical Forest

The Last of Us
Gustavo Santaolalla
The Last of Us
Vanishing Grace
The Choice

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Hajime Wakai, Shiho Fujii, Mahito Yokota, Takeshi Hama
Ballad of the Goddess
Fi's Farewell
Koloktos / Moladarch

To the Moon
Kan Gao
Born A Stranger
Everything's Alright
For River - Piano (Johnny's Version)

Torchlight
Matt Uelmen
Town
Fortress

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Greg Edmonson
Reunion
Desperate Times

Velocity
James Marsden and Joris de Man
Protect
Rescue
Quarp Drive

VVVVVV
Magnus Pålsson
Pushing Onwards
Positive Force
Potential for Anything

Xenoblade Chronicles
Manami Kiyota, Ace+, Yoko Shimomura, Yasunori Mitsuda
Gaur Plains
Mechanical Rhythm
You Will Know Our Names

Ys Seven
Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Saki Momiyama and Masanori Osaki
Innocent Primeval Breaker
Crossing Rage
Mother Earth Altago

Great stuff; let me think about it and come back to you. I'll need to spend a long time considering this, but I don't want to miss out as I keep forgetting to vote in the Game of the Year topics.

I was literally thinking about when this would happen yesterday. Gonna have to think about my list for a few days but obviously Nier is at #1.

Evilisk

I was actually wondering when this thread was gonna pop up.

I've had a list ready for a while, though I might need to tweak it after looking at the OP. Main reason is that a bunch of PC picks don't make the cutoff of 2011, though I also have a couple of fighting game updates that I just realized I'd need to split into multiple entries.

So, the restriction for post 2011 games doesn't apply to xb360 nor PS3, right?
There's no statute of limitations for dedicated home or portable consoles. I recognise it's a little vague and difficult to decide when a generation starts and ends on PC. You can do this based on the available technical advancements, but these are not going to be as relevant for a soundtrack vote. The 2011 cut-off ended up running parallel to the GAF Games o' Gen 7 Voting Thread one for simplicity's sake.

Oh, is it finally time for this?

Straight away I have to ask: are the Ace Attorney games eligible?
I'm going to say that they are. The first three technically are Gen 6 games, but this is the gen people will associate with these games. They never saw a release abroad until Gen 7, and very few people voted for it in the Gen 6 thread anyway.

Zhao_Yun

Is Trails in the Sky FC eligible? It's originally a PC game from 2004, but only reached the West with the PSP Port in 2011.

Is Trails in the Sky FC eligible? It's originally a PC game from 2004, but only reached the West with the PSP Port in 2011.
Trails in the Sky should fall under the same rules as the Ace Attorney ones. The PSP port is the first official release people in the west, and probably the release GAF users will associate with the game. I'll allow it.

What about Twilight Princess?

I played it on Wii but personally I consider it a Gen 6 release.
I'd say it is both. Twilight Princess is a cross-gen game that technically was released on Wii before the GCN, and sold significantly more on the Wii. While TP charted on the previous list, I'm not going to be too difficult about it. I think more people will associate this game with the Wii, so it should count.

Melchiah

azDNsXNl.jpg

1. The Last of Us
Gustavo Santaolalla

2. Journey
Austin Wintory

3. Mass Effect
Jack Wall & Sam Hulick

4. Bioshock
5. Bioshock Infinite
6. WipEout HD
7. Siren: Blood Curse
8. Limbo
9. Heavy Rain
10. Beyond: Two Souls

EDIT: I may add sample songs from the rest later, if I have the time.

Evilisk

Actually, I need to ask, would Dynasty Warriors 8 count as 7th Gen? I forgot it also released for PS4 (since I only have the PS3 version)

Looking at some of my YouTube playlists at what I often listen to from Gen 7:

Velocity 2X
Shatter
Demon's Souls
God of War 3
Mass Effect
Halo Reach

This is going to be really hard to put them in order and decide on my final 10.

Melchiah

Looking at some of my YouTube playlists at what I often listen to from Gen 7:

Velocity 2X
Shatter
Demon's Souls
God of War 3

Mass Effect
Halo Reach

This is going to be really hard to put them in order and decide on my final 10.

Those three are good choices as well. I didn't include Demon's Souls because I've only played the game briefly, so I don't have that connection with it.

MTC100

Banned
Oh boy... listening to the Last of Us OST again thanks to Melchiah. It's really insane how great it is and I think it was also part of the reason why I liked the game that much. It's often the Soundtrack/Ambient you never really notice while playing that brings a game to the next level. I think games like The Witcher 3, Persona 5, Nier Automata or The Last of Us wouldn't have been as great as they were if their OST wasn't so impressive. I'd also like to mention the OST of Alan Wake. I'll make my top 10 list later, have to think about it for a bit.

Melchiah

Oh boy... listening to the Last of Us OST again thanks to Melchiah. It's really insane how great it is and I think it was also part of the reason why I liked the game that much. It's often the Soundtrack/Ambient you never really notice while playing that brings a game to the next level. I think games like The Witcher 3, Persona 5, Nier Automata or The Last of Us wouldn't have been as great as they were if their OST wasn't so impressive. I'd also like to mention the OST of Alan Wake. I'll make my top 10 list later, have to think about it for a bit.

I tend to listen to the soundtracks after completing the games to relive the experience, sometimes for long periods of time, and they definitely elevate the games to another level. Games like Silent Hill 2, and the more recent ones Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Little Nightmares wouldn't be the same without them.

Cheers for taking up the task Earthpainting, my thoughts on the OSTs of this gen have been regularly shifting so this may take some thought.
It's also INCREDIBLY loaded with fantastic options.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I had to split my vote into two separate posts, which is totally not just because I included way too many sample tracks for each game. But that's also why everything is in reverse order, it'd be weird otherwise, I think.

x. Mega Man 9

Composed by Ippo Yamada, Ryo Kawakami, Yu Shimoda, Hiroki Isogai and Takashi Tateishi

Let's start right off with the one choice that shouldn't surprise anyone who's seen my vote for the generations one to three. Not only did Capcom manage to pull off a game that stands right there with the best in the classic Mega Man series, but it's also got a soundtrack that's, well, at least near the old games. Some catchy stage themes and the Wily stages aren't all that bad either. It felt kinda weird to include something that's essentially an NES game in style with all the other soundtracks of this "HD era", but then again, many of the upcoming games aren't that much different in style anyway.

Galaxy Man Stage # Dr. Wily Stage 1 # Concrete Man Stage
Jewel Man Stage # Hornet Man Stage # Dr. Wily Stage 3
Wily Machine # Dr. Wily Stage 2 # Tornado Man Stage
Stage Select # Plug Man Stage # Magma Man Stage

x. Dissidia: Final Fantasy

Composed by Takeharu Ishimoto, Nobuo Uematsu, Naoshi Mizuta and Hitoshi Sakimoto
Arranged by Takeharu Ishimoto, Tsuyoshi Sekito, Mitsuto Suzuki, Your Favorite Enemies, Shiro Hamaguchi and Kazuhiko Toyama

I included this mostly because of the huge amount of arrangements of old Final Fantasy music that this soundtrack has. There's plenty of unaltered older music plus some new music as well, but the latter isn't impressive enough to warrant a mention on its own right and I don't think unchanged old music would count for this vote. So I will concentrate exclusively on the arrangements. They vary in regards to how different they even are from the original composition, but especially tracks from the 8 bit generation of Final Fantasy games got a really nice overhaul. If you ever want a decent "best of" kind of selection of Final Fantasy music, take a closer look at both Dissidia soundtracks. The first one has the more interesting tracks, but 012 also got some nice leftovers.

Main Theme -arrange- from FINAL FANTASY II # Battle Theme 1 -arrange- from Final Fantasy II # Dungeon -arrange- from Final Fantasy
Main Theme of Final Fantasy IV -arrange- # Main Theme -arrange- from Final Fantasy # Battle 2 -arrange- from Final Fantasy IV # Don't be Afraid -arrange- from Final Fantasy VIII
Battle Theme 2 from Final Fantasy II # Battle -arrange- from Final Fantasy # Battle 2 -arrange- from Final Fantasy III # This is the Last Battle -arrange- from Final Fantasy III

x. Super Mario Galaxy

Composed by Mahito Yokota, Koji Kondo

Remember how big of a deal it was way back when that Mario now "finally" has an orchestral score? Like that was ever a sign of quality. But nevertheless, Super Mario Galaxy has some pretty great music that's not always a rehash of the same old Mario tunes (though those are here as well, of course). It gives the whole space theme the necessary feeling of grandeur (is that a word?). But after listening through the whole soundtrack again, I also felt it kinda misses the necessary variety to go beyond an honorable mention. Anyway, the recommended tracks are the usual stage themes everyone will always tell you about, but also take note of all the calm themes associated with Rosalina and Luma, or simply the background story in general.

Overture # Catastrophe # Egg Planet
Space Junk Road # Enter Bowser Jr. # Gusty Garden Galaxy
Melty Molten Galaxy # Purple Comet # File Select
Luma # Dino Piranha # The Toad Brigade
Boo Race # Ice Mario # Deep Dark Galaxy

x. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F

Composed by {various}

Warning! This is gonna have vocaloid software singing, if that hurts your ears, don't click on the evil music linked below! If not, then let's talk about Project Diva F. That capital "F" is important, or else we would be in dangerous ineligible Vita territory, of course. Anyway, this is all licensed music, so it probably wouldn't deserve a "proper" spot on the list anyway, but I think it's worth an honorable mention simply because of how much enjoyed all its music. Lots of variety in musical styles (less so in different singers) and plenty of melodies that get stuck in your head way too easily. Of course, it helps that this is a rhythm game, so you will have to listen to each track over and over and over.

Secret Police # Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight # Cat Food
Melancholic # World's End Umbrella # Weekender Girl
Time Machine # Senbonzakura # Tengaku
Unhappy Refrain # Odds & Ends # NegaPosi*Continues

Okay, then. let's start with the actual top 10 list. One point goes to...

10) Double Dragon Neon

Composed by Jake Kaufman

Remember this game? Well, hopefully not, but the soundtrack is excellent. The whole game has this fake retro 80s kinda thing going for it and the music actually does deliver on this very well. There are new arrangements of old Double Dragon tracks, there are new stage theme with funny and/or cheesy lyrics and there are many "mixtapes" that give you new special moves in the game, but also each come with its own short music track that's very unmistakingly influenced by songs you may or may not know (listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikId8eufiz4 and you'll immediately see what I mean). This music is more "80s" than Double Dragon's original music and that's from the 80s.

Title Theme # City Streets 1 # City Streets 2
Boss - Skullmageddon # Space Dojo 1 (Double Dragon 1 - Mission 2) # Space Dojo 2 (Billy and the Breakers - Firebird)
Boss - Mecha Biker # Countryside 1 # Continue Screen
Tube Ride (Double Dragon 1 - Palace) # End Credits (Dared to Dream) # Mixtape - Bomb Toss
Mixtape - Desperation # Mixtape - Healing Touch # Mixtape - Training Wheels

9) 3D Dot Game Heroes

Composed by Shinji Hosoe, Ayako Saso, Shoichiro Sakamoto, Teruo Taniguchi, Takahiro Eguchi, Norihiro Hurukawa

The game itself is a "love letter" to old games like the 8 bit The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy games. But while the game often treads on the fine line between tribute, parody and imitation, the music is a bit more reserved in its inspiration. There some direct connection to specific games mostly in shorter jingle like tracks, but most of the music feels more like a modernized version of "old style" video game music with a short loops and a stronger focus on melodies. That or they are ripping off stuff I've never heard, but let's stay positive. Overworld tracks like Go to the Wilderness or dungeon music like Tower of Darkness is what this game does best.

Main Theme # Reijakku Village # Through the Woods
Indecisive Forest # Breakout # Desert Temple
Advancing through the Coastline # Water Temple # Dash Race
Biskro Volcano # Volcano Temple # Go to the Wilderness
Tomb of the Hero # Life at Risk # Tower of Darkness
Demon King Onyx

8) Corpse Party

Composed by Mao Hamamoto, Rio Hamamoto

Sometimes it's not just about the quality of the music tracks, though Corpse Party also shines in that department. Take a listen to The Nightmare of the School Years, for example. But it's also about how it is presented. Corpse Party likes to brag about its "binaural 3D audio" and this actually works really well and enhances the feeling of dread you're supposed to feel while playing the game. Play with headphones, of course. Other than that, there's not much to say, the music is scary, it's weird at times, a mix of ambient and melody driven. It comes together to elevate a creepy and downright disgusting games to a great horror experience. That seems praise enough.

Chapter 1 Main BGM # The Nightmare of the School Years # Underground Maze
Chapter 5 Annex # Chapter 5 Main Building Theme 2 # Extra Chapter 1 Main Theme
Strange Annex # Chater 2 Main BGM # Fear 2
Fear 3 # Dark Footsteps # Sound of Grief Version A
Bottomless Pool # Men's Toilet # Ray of Hope
Road to Hell

7) Gyakuten Kenji 2 ("Ace Attorney Investigations 2")

Composed by Noriyuki Iwadare

Did you know there are six freaking Ace Attorney games on Nintendo DS alone? The general idea of "I want an Ace Attorney game on the list, those have great music" was soon met with the realization that I had to listen through all those six soundtracks, because I can't remember which music is from which game. But now the work is done and the winner is the one game Capcom doesn't want to give us in English (thankfully there's a great fan translation!).
But first, about the series in general, since many of its central themes are reused (and rearranged) through all of its games, it's fair to talk about them as one. What the series does exceptionally well is first creating suspense through its music. This is mainly during its trials and investigations (in case of the Ace Attorney Investigations subseries). Whenever you feel you're finally getting somewhere in a case, the music will be there to support that, whenever you feel like you've nailed a suspect to the wall, the music will take it up a notch. All towards the final "hell yeah" moment when you finally take down that....unpleasant criminal. Secondly the character themes, the series loves to play with simple cliché characters, but it uses its music to give them all character.
So, beyond all that, I felt that in Gyakuten Kenji 2, or Ace Attorney Investigations 2 if there was ever an official English release, it all comes together the best. The character themes are excellent (even though I was so close to choose Trials and Tribulations for its Godot theme). Just take a listen, not like I can explain it all very well.

Investigation ~ Opening 2011 # Logic ~ Truth of the Crime Scene # Trick Analyze
Logic Chess ~ Opening # Confrontation ~ Moderato 2011 # Reiji Mitsurugi ~ Objection! 2011
Confess the Truth 2011 # Investigation ~ Middlegame 2011 # Yumihiko Ichiyanagi ~ Ichiryuu's Reasoning
Confrontation ~ Allegro 2011 # Lamenting People # Reproducing the Scene ~ The Gentleman Thief's Secret Weapon 2011
Marie Miwa ~ Hug and Kiss # Ryouken Houinbou ~ Tone of an Assassin # Confrontation ~ Presto 2011
Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth # Issei Tenkai ~ Sweet Happiness # Restless People
Reminiscence ~ IS-7 Incident # Tsukasa Oyashiki ~ Sweet Dance # Shimon Aizawa ~ Pointed Age

6) Final Fantasy XIII-2

Composed by Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta, Mitsuto Suzuki, Nobuo Uematsu, Yoshitaka Suzuki

So, yeah, usually Final Fantasy would be around the top spots in both votes. This generation was a little bit different, but XIII-2 still had a great soundtrack. From its clever use of themes, to a couple of very "Hamauzu" tracks (I swear sometimes he has almost Sukuraba like qualities where I can't really tell where this one theme is from because it could be from five different games), but also some very awesome vocal tracks, my favorite being KOKIA's version of Noel's Theme. Yeah, other vocal tracks can be very cringey, especially the fan favorite Crazy Chocobo, but they all have their own charm. But overall, the soundtrack has this special feel of mysticism (for the lack of a better word). Oh, and hey, I get another excuse to post a nice version of Battle on the Big Bridge, though this was DLC only, as far as I remember.

Divine Conflict # Paradox # New Bodhum
Historia Crux # Etro's Champion # Pardigm Shift
Village and Void # Unseen Intruder # Song of the Farseers
Eclipse # Temporal Rift # The Last Hunter
All or Nothing # Plains of Eternity # Labyrinth of Chaos
Unseen Abyss # Noel's Theme -Final Journey- # Crazy Chocobo

So that's all that would fit in one post. Hopefully the second part will be ready by tonight, or at least tomorrow. And hey, post some more lists! The "Games of the Generation" thread already has plenty, any list is fine (just don't vote for Revengeance, please).

Part 2.

The line being drawn at 2011 makes no sense to me. The main replacements to the previous gen began in 2013. If you want to exclude the Wii U and 3DS, just do that. Now I have to remove Hotline Miami because of that nonsense.

1. Nier

This hit me in a way that few albums, let alone video game soundtracks, ever did. This soundtrack has a beautiful melancholy feel to it. Even with bombastic battle themes, adventurous overworld themes, and homely town themes, that melancholy still creeps in. It's a grand work, yet one with an intimate emotional focus. It's the soundtrack of the generation. It's the soundtrack of the lifetime. It's one of the greatest musical works in history. It's honestly what the legacy of this whole medium should be.

Snow in Summer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dse2ya1-iVM

Shadowlord - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrvKpowc4Ek

The Dark Colossus Destroys All- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o9I3-Rv2U8

Hills of Radiant Winds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OD4-t64_po

2. Xenoblade Chronicles. Imagine a soundtrack so impactful that just a couple of piano chords gets you prepared to either be pumped up or cry. This is what Engage The Enemy does multiple times during the course of the game, and the beautiful thing is, that isn't even in my top 5 tracks. This game's soundtrack adheres to JRPG tropes - the area theme, the battle theme, the boss theme, the sad emotional cutscene theme etc. - but it does it so well that it honestly transcends the formula.

The God-Slaying Sword - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2z2UPSQdn0
Gaur Plains - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx0r4_btOQc
Mechanical Rhythm - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGw5kwHl_LU

3. Super Mario Galaxy. This one has Buoy Base and Gusty Garden.

Buoy Base Galaxy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29bt-wjS88
Gusty Garden Galaxy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIWhy-urqM

4. Super Mario Galaxy 2. This one has Bowser's Galaxy Generator and the GOAT Final Bowser.

Bowser's Galaxy Generator - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsyjY9lDVk8
Final Bowser Battle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glzkh5jl31k

5. Metal Gear Rising: Revengance. This game's soundtrack is where subtlety goes to die, and I love it. The tracks nail the balance between being ridiculously cheesy and edgelordy, yet still going super hard.

Collective Consciousness - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dPaVk4G1jg
The Stains of Time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuSSXOQ-1bI
A Stranger I Remain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rj8HVW3PQ
RULES OF NATURE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0

6. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of The White Witch. While this is kinda Joe Hisaishi in autopilot, god damn is it good shit. These tracks still give me goosebumps.
Main Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyAF5QhW0Uk
The Fairygrounds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FHwKzqArBQ
Taking To The Skies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywmfAmX97So

7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Man, whenever Skyward Sword bashing threads decide to rag on this soundtrack, I question humanity. These have some of Zelda's most bombastic, emotional, and distinctive tracks. If it was best track, ballad of the goddess would be top 3 for me.
Ballad of the Goddess - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23hJeaLotEw
Staff Roll - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZBcPRQpO8
Fi's Farewell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DAJBU4Wtqg
Koloktos / Moladarch- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzL4IA16k78

8. Bayonetta. This soundtrack is more camp than marathoning Ru Paul's Drag Race with Revolver Ocelot in a tent. Too much is not enough for this game.
Fly Me To The Moon (Climax) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV6E13xODyA
Let's Dance Boys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCUe7UyA_Ec
The Greatest Jubilee - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhvuiLliJpI

9. VVVVVV – Honestly, the only reason this isn't higher is that it is too short. A damn near perfect chiptune album.
Pushing Onwards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25m3Gk7mRQM
Positive Force - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp3qiOKuEBM
Potential for Anything - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj8MsbgpjaQ

Jucksalbe

Banned
Part 2 of my needlessly long vote. You can find the first part here.

5) Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City

Composed by Yuzo Koshiro

Koshiro had to make the list somewhere. Etrian Odyssey as a series was all about creating a modern version of all the old style Western dungeon crawlers that everyone loved and almost everybody forgot about at that point. Sure, by now the genre went the way of the otaku again, but at least the Etrian Odyssey still stands proud (and hopefully in English, Atlus!). The music follows that general idea. The DS games all still used the "FM" music style (which Etrian Odyssey IV sadly, while still an awesome soundtrack, got rid of). So, well, Etrian Odyssey and Etrian Odyssey III excels at its constant alternation between calm dungeon themes and strong battle themes. And FOEs, of course.

That's the Beginning of the Adventure # Engrave Thy Name # Labyrinth I - Waterfall Woodlands
The First Campaign # Compensation # Labyrinth II - Water Woods of the Submarine Ridge
Unknown Menace # Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's # The End of Raging Waves
Labyrinth III - Cavern of Splendor # Hoist the Sword with Pride in the Heart # The City on the Deep Blue Sea
Those that Slay and Fall # Labyrinth V - Chalky Woods # Their Own Brand of Justice

4) NieR

Composed by Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama, Keigo Hoashi and Takafumi Nishimura

Sometimes a crappy game can still produce a gem. No matter what I may think about playing the game, the music is excellent. Unique in style, downright beautiful in parts, the tracks all carry a lot of emotions. Still haven't played much of Automata (I blame the stretched 100 hours of Persona 5), but I hope this can continue with this style. Is the music of the Drakengard games anything like this? It doesn't seem like they get brought up much.

Hills of Radiant Wings # Blu-bird # Grandma
The Wretched Automatons # City of Commerce # The Prestigious Mask
Gods Bound by Rules # Deep Crimson Foe # Yonah (Pluck Version)
The Dark Colossus Destroys All # Song of the Ancients Hollow Dreams # Kaine Escape
Repose # The Lost Forest # Shadowlord's Castle Roar

3) Cladun: This is an RPG!

Composed by Kaori Tsutsui, Syntaro Jimbo and Yoh Ohyama

It's one of these games that tries to appeal to "retro gamers" (so me, basically). That's why this has a "double" soundtrack, so to speak, every track has a "modern" and a "retro style" version. The retro style might be nice and all, but you can completely ignore it. None of the examples below are retro versions, because the modern ones are all better. Those examples below are also everything I could find on YouTube, and even that took quite a bit of work to find. Somehow noone really bothered to upload all the tracks in a nice (non "mixup" kinda) playlist for some reason. Not enough interest in the game, I guess. Though it's sequels seem to be easier to find.
Anyway, the soundtrack consists of a variety of classical or folk music styles that really come together well. Someone that didn't sleep through music classes explain this better (in case this even ever gets mentioned again in this thread). Just take a listen (which I guess summarizes all my comments for this vote, sorry).

Knight of a Foreign Country # Slicing the Wind # Till Dawn
You're a Treasure # Crimson-Moonlit Night # Forester
Cosmic Piper # Earth of Wind and Blood # Water that Connects Life
Dance of Abundance # Battlefield # The Explosion

2) Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk

Composed by Daisuke Achiwa, Kazuki Yanagawa and Yu Shimoda

I guess "the whole Atelier series" isn't a valid option, is it? Ah well, I had to decide on one then and Ayesha it is. It has the most calm, relaxing and just, yeah, beautiful songs in the series. Many of the other games excel in the hard rock to metal kinda boss battle themes, which interestingly Ayesha doesn't feature as much, but it makes for it which lots of influences from, let's call it, "traditional music". Also, I really love that intro video, which is why there's an extra link for that below (well, and because I copied half of that list from when I voted for the game on one of the yearly threads). Well, take a listen through my very limited excerpt of nice music from the game.

Hanashirube (video)
Guidance # Sleeping Earth # Invitation Flower ~ Spring
Sylpheed # If You Walk Down Main Street # Yesterday's Opponents are Today's Ingredients
Glass Cotton Flower # Recollection Hill # Illusion
Rain in the Dried Up Valley # Excavate Polka # Even Today is Still Today
A Single Beam of Light # Gnome # Wish for Treasure
Merchant March # Sunshine Rondo # Hanage Military History
Artemis # Slag Dance

1) Ys Seven

Composed by Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Saki Momiyama and Masanori Osaki

Aside from some really, really nice overworld themes, this has some of the greatest boss battle themes in the series and with that in gaming as a whole. It also has shirtless Adol fighting one on one to Crossing Rage, so what else can you want?

Innocent Primeval Breaker # In the Busting Square # Public Palace
Mother Earth Altago # Vacant Interference # Children in the Shadows
Land of Fertility # Great Tree (Shannoa) # Desert of Despair
Place of Reticent Lava (Segram) # Smashing through the Mountain Path # Sanctuary of Meditation Breeze (Kylos)
Ruined Isle (Edona) # Crossing Rage # To Reveal the Way to Go
A Sunbaked Throb # Vengeance of Iska # Legend of the Five Great Dragons
Tia -The Defended- # Ancient Disputation

Some other tracks I remembered that didn't quite make the cut:

Ar Tonelico Qoga - EXEC_COSMOFLIPS/. # Within the Light
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - Battle 2 # Area 1
Blue Dragon - Eternity (how can you not love this?)
999 - Morphogenetic Sorrow
To the Moon - For River - Piano (Johnny's Version)
Mushihimesama Futari - Bestial Beat # On the Verge of Madness
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Ul'dah Night theme (let's not talk about some of the other tracks in this game)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Puzzle Plank Galaxy
The World Ends With You - Déjà vu # Calling
Hard Corps: Uprising - Stage 1 Origins Extra Theme (Contra Theme)
Xenoblade Chronicles - Gaur Plain # You Will Know Our Names
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger - Bullet Dance
Atelier Totori - TARGET
Mirror's Edge - Still Alive
Eternal Sonata - Leap the Precipice
Persona (PSP) - A Lone Prayer
Disgaea 3 - Maritsu Evil Academy Entrance Applicant Recruiting CM Song (it's the Game Over track, in case that wasn't clear from the music)
Eye of Judgment - Alliance Plaza Check
Final Fantasy XIII - Blinded by Light
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon - Promise
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC - Silver Will # The Whereabouts of Light
Brandish: The Dark Revenant - Headless
Siren: Blood Curse - Genocide (to be honest, I only included this for the utter bizarreness of its ending music)

The whole list again, just to make it easier to count:
1. Ys Seven
2. Atelier Ayesha
3. ClaDun
4. NieR
5. Etrian Odyssey III
6. Final Fantasy XIII-2
7. Gyakuten Kenji 2
8. Corpse Party
9. 3D Dot Game Heroes
10. Double Dragon Neon
x. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F
x. Super Mario Galaxy
x. Dissidia: Final Fantasy
x. Mega Man 9

Thanks for scrolling by!

Azuardo

The line being drawn at 2011 makes no sense to me. The main replacements to the previous gen began in 2013. If you want to exclude the Wii U and 3DS, just do that. Now I have to remove Hotline Miami because of that nonsense.

The 2011 cut-off is only for PC, mobile and arcade. Hotline Miami is a PS3 game, so it should be eligible. I'm going to include it in my list, anyway.

I don't know if I could vote for this one even if I get to play more games. From the ones I have played almost none of them have a good soundtrack to me.

I see me only voting for
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Scott Pilgrim
and
Catherine

This seems like the gen when soundtracks started to become less memorable.

AerialAir

Banned
93f4a866_o.jpeg

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Harry Gregson-Williams
Old Snake
Paradise lost

ad68d915_o.jpeg

2. Persona 5
Shoji Meguro
Beneath the Mask ~rain~
Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There

cae0091b_o.jpeg

3. Bastion
Darren Korb
Build That Wall (Zia's Theme)
The Sole Regret

045b6fdb_o.jpeg

4. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Takami Asano
Reset Instrumental
Demon of Darkness

2a470849_o.jpeg

5. Spec Ops: The Line
Elia Cmíral
Glasgow Mega Snake
Welcome To Hell

f51e0fe5_o.jpeg

6. The Last of Us
Gustavo Santaolalla
All Gone (Aftermath)
Track 3 - The Last of Us

37880ab3_o.jpeg

7. Nier
Keiichi Okabe
Song of the Ancients / Devola
Dispossession / Pluck Ver.

8093cd61_o.png

8. Minecraft
Daniel Rosenfeld
Sweden
Dead Voxel

1bba0741_o.jpeg

9. To the Moon
Kan Gao
Born A Stranger
Everything's Alright

ae46f8a8_o.png

10. Life Is Strange
Jonathan Morali
Episode 01 : Chrysalis - Track 01
Episode 03 : Chaos Theory - Night walk

Wozman23

1. Rayman Origins
Christophe Héral and Billy Martin

Whimsical, and filled with unconventional instruments and sounds

Shooting Me Softly
Nowhere to Run
Lums of the Water

2. The Last of Us
Gustavo Santaolalla

Sombre, haunting guitar work

The Last of Us
Vanishing Grace
The Choice

3. Sound Shapes
I Am Robot and Proud, Jim Guthrie, deadmou5, Beck

Beautiful collaborations built right into the gameplay

I Am Robot and Proud - Hills n' Spills
I Am Robot and Proud - Hypoglacia
Beck - Cities

4. Guacamelee!
Rom Di Prisco and Peter Chapman

An infectious mix of latin flair, electronic influences, and old school gaming that shifted dynamically between the World of the Living and World of the Dead

Boss Theme (World of the Dead)
Forest del Chivo
Temple of Rain (World of the Dead)
Tule Tree

5. Velocity
James Marsden and Joris de Man

A driving mix of electronic infused beats to match the frenetic gameplay

Protect
Rescue
Quarp Drive
Search

6. Papo & Yo
Brian D'Oliveira

An emotional accompaniment to an emotional game

Lost Hope
Lula's Resurrection
A Slow Realization
Liberation (La Muerte de Papo)

7. Alan Wake
Poets of the Fall licensed work

My first Remedy game, and thus my introduction to Poets of the Fall

The Poet and the Muse
War

01. NieR - Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama, Keigo Hoashi, Takafumi Nishimura
It’s probably to be expected that one of my favourite games of this generation would be do incredibly well in my soundtrack ranking too. Part of what makes NieR’s music so impressive and unexpected though, is that the audio is just leagues above all its other elements. It features a level of quality and polish you probably not expect while playing it. NieR’s soundtrack effortlessly switches between evoking grand scales, and close and personal songs. Speaking of which, did I mention that almost all tracks have vocals to some degree? I typically don’t care for vocals in my game music, because I get tired of them pretty fast, but that didn’t appear to be an issue here.

Hills of Radiant Winds - Emil (Karma) - Shadowlord

02. Super Mario Galaxy - Mahito Yokota, Koji Kondo
There’s always been something a bit strange about aurally representing the vastness and emptiness of space. One of the biggest features of space is its lack of sound, as there’s no air to vibrate through to make sound. You’re going to have to take some artistic liberties to evoke the feeling of space, and I think Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best pieces of media out there that does this. Its soundtrack mainly focuses on the beauty and majesty of the great unknown and sweeps you through the stars just like Mario does. I’m not sure if it sounds like the Mario we knew and love, but I suppose it’s fitting as he too was just a tiny speck in an endless expanse.

Gusty Garden - Buoy Base Galaxy - Bowser

03. Mega Man 9 - Ippo Yamada, Ryo Kawakami, Yu Shimoda, Hiroki Isogai
If you’re familiar with Mega Man, you should know what you’re in for. High octane chiptune just like you remember it. The Mega Man franchise sets a high bar, but this late entry in the series definitely does its peers justice. The indie revolution has given us quite a few retro sounding soundtracks, but I guess there’s no real substitution for the real stuff.

Galaxy Man - Tornado Man - Concrete Man

04. Xenoblade Chronicles - Manami Kiyota, Ace+, Yoko Shimomura, Yasunori Mitsuda
Just a pleasant sounding, complete package of an OST. The soundtrack features day and night versions of pretty much all locations, and has a great mixture of genres and instrumentation. The latter especially nicely complements the organic vs mechanical themes that permeate the story.

Gaur Plains - You Will Know Our Names - Frontier Village

05. Lost Odyssey - Nobuo Uematsu
Lost Odyssey is perhaps not the thing you might associate with Nobuo Uematsu, but maybe you should. It’s arguably some of his best work. If you’re familiar with his work and style, you’re going to know what to expect, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. He proved that he still got it.

Neverending Journey - A Mighty Enemy Appears - Parting Forever

06. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - Masakazu Sugimori
I’m not going to sugarcoat it. Ghost Trick’s grainy and jazzy stylings makes most of the game sound like a collection of JRPG sewer levels. It certainly helps establish its sense of identity though. This game is a gloomy whodunit about ghosts and Rube Goldberg deaths. If you’re a fan of Ace Attorney’s music, you should definitely give it a try.

Main Theme - Detective Jowd: A Captive of Fate - Cabanela: A White Lovely Lanky Man

07. Little King’s Story - Yutaka Minobe, Yoko Shimomura
Little King’s Story’s soundtrack is basically a collection of arrangements of classical music. I don’t know if this is cheating, but I’m putting it on here anyway. The arrangements sound great, and fit the game on many levels.

Skinny Ray - Soup, Sin, and Salvation - New Island

08. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game - Anamanaguchi
I don’t care for Scott Pilgrim the character, the comic, the movie, nor the game, but I can’t hate on the game’s music. The music clearly knows the strengths and weaknesses of chiptune, and thus simply treats it as a type of instrumentation that can be complemented by traditional instruments that can do a better job.

Just Like In The Movies - Rock Club - Another Winter

09. Radiant Historia - Yoko Shimomura
I’ve mentioned Yoko Shimomura a few times before in my list, but here’s finally a soundtrack where she got to do her own thing. Large sweeping waltzy music that sound like the rap battle equivalent of string quartets. I’d also like to give this OST a shoutout for its audio quality. The DS was not known for very high quality sound, but you’re not going to be thinking about that in this game.

Blue Radiance - Shadows Dance in the Darkness - Wildness and Toughness

10. Shatter - Module
There was a lot more to this Arkanoid-style game than you’d expect. One of those unexpected parts it that it features a hypnotic soundtrack that turns Shatter into a synesthetic experience. It can take a while for some songs to really get going, but you don’t even notice that in-game.

The Amethyst Caverns - Kinetic Harvest - The Argon Refinery

Honourable Mentions:
xx. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Masakazu Sugimori, Naoto Tanaka
xx. Super Meat Boy - Danny Baranowsky, Ridiculon
xx. Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors - Shinji Hosoe
xx. Double Dragon Neon - Jake Kaufman
xx. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - Hidenori Iwasaki, Ryo Yamazaki, Kumi Tanioka
xx. Monster Hunter Tri - Yuko Komiyama, Tadayoshi Makino, Reo Uratani

Eolz

Mods count right? Definitely putting Neotokyo in there.
Hope we're gonna see a post from Dark Schala near the end of the vote as usual too!

Elitist1945

1. Uncharted 2

- Reunion
- Desperate Times

A heart-pounding action-movie style soundtrack with some unique Asian-influenced instruments to make it a unique OST.

2. The Last of Us

- 'Airy String and Bass' Atmospheric
- Main Bass Theme

A simple, but somber, emotional and atmospheric OST.

3. Call of Duty: World at War

- Vendetta
- Heart of the Reich

A dark, depressing soundtrack that captures the horrors of World War 2, with some badass guitar riffs thrown in to make it epic and climactic.

4. Modern Warfare 2

- Whiskey Hotel
- Invasion

An OST that rivals the production value of a Hollywood blockbuster. Perfectly captures the cinematic action experience the game goes for.

5. Deus Ex Human Revolution

- Icarus
- Unatco

Captures the dystopian future with amazing atmosphere.

I've updated the archive based on the examples people had posted so far. I have to say, Sonic 06 may be an iffy game, but its soundtrack is pretty legit.

While listening to random things of this generation, I also stumbled on some tracks I thought were pleasant, though not significant enough to alter my list.
Hotel Dusk - Rainy Night
GTA IV - Soviet Connection
Professor Layton - Theme song
Okamiden - Thunder Cloud

I'm assuming this is for Gyakuten Kenji 2 going by the examples, but seeing as Gyakuten Saiban 2 also exists and is eligible, I'd best ask for confirmation.

Grexeno

Had to split my post into two because I went overboard on the sample tracks. And the honorable mentions.

Honorable Mentions:

X. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All

Trial
Examination ~ Moderate 2002
Reminiscence ~ The Fire Carves Scars
Search ~ In the Midst 2002
Great Revival ~ Miles Edgeworth
Reminiscence ~ Steel Samurai's Ballad

X. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Courtroom Lobby ~ New Prelude
Objection! 2007
Cross Examination ~ Allegro 2007
Pressing Pursuit ~ Cornered
Klavier Gavin ~ Guilty Love
Drew Studio

X. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth

Pursuit ~ Lying Coldly
Shi-Long Lang ~ Speak up, Pup!
Confrontation ~ Presto 2009
Court ~ Guardians of the Law
Tyrell Badd ~ The Truth isn't Sweet
Reminiscence ~ KG-8 Case

X. Gyukaten Kenji 2 (aka Ace Attorney Investigations 2)

Tateyuki Shigaraki ~ Joking Motive
Prosecutorial Investigation Committee ~ Rigorous Justice
Reproducing the Scene ~ The Gentleman Thief's Secret Weapon 2011
Confrontation ~ Presto 2011
Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth
Reminiscence ~ IS-7 Incident

X. Bayonetta

Fortitudo [In Labors And Dangers]
Temperantia [In Foregoing Pleasures]
Iustitia [In Giving Every Man His Due]
Sapientia [In the Choice Between Good and Evil]
You May Call Me Father
The Greatest Jubilee

X. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Dracula's Tears
After Confession
Cursed Clock Tower
Subterranean Hell
Demon Castle Pinnacle
Basement Melody

X. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Invitation of a Crazed Moon
Victorian Fear
Jail of Jewel
Hail from the Past
The Gears Go Awry
Gaze Up at the Darkness

X. Dark Souls II

Ruin Sentinel
Skeleton Lord
Old Iron King
Royal Rat Vanguard
Fume Knight
Burnt Ivory King

X. Halo 3

Luck
Three Gates
Keep What You Steal
Greatest Journey
Never Forget
Finish The Fight

X. Halo 3: ODST

Overture
More Than His Share
Deference for Darkness
Traffic Jam
Bits and Pieces
Special Delivery

X. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Title Theme
Bryyo Main Theme
Rundas Boss Theme
Skytown Main Theme
Gandrayda Boss Theme
Dark Samus Boss Theme

X. NieR

Hills of Radiant Winds
City of Commerce
Kaine ~Escape~
Song of the Ancients ~Fate~
The Lost Forest
Shadowlord's Castle ~Roar~

X. Okamiden

Great Spirit Suppression
Southern Ryoshima Coast
King Fury Suppression
Thunder Cloud
Kurow Loses Faith
Eclipse

X. Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver

Rival Battle
Route 42
Team Rocket Battle
Ho-Oh Battle
Cinnabar Island
Champion Lance & Red Battle

X. Pokemon Black & White

Icirrus City
Relic Castle
Route 10
Elite Four Battle
N Decisive Battle
Village Bridge

X. Pokemon Black 2 & White 2

Rival Battle
Castelia Gym
Driftveil Gym
Colress' Theme
Ghetsis Battle
Champion Iris Battle

X. Portal 2

Science is Fun
The Courtesy Call
Music of the Spheres
The Reunion
Wheatley Science
Bombs for Throwing at You (Four Part Plan)

X. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dragonborn
The Jerall Mountains
Kyne's Peace
The Streets of Whiterun
Far Horizons
Peaceful Waters

X. Super Mario Galaxy

Good Egg Galaxy
Space Junk Galaxy
Battlerock Galaxy
Buoy Base Galaxy
Gusty Garden Galaxy
Melty Molten Galaxy

X. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Puzzle Plank Galaxy
World 3
Bowser Jr.'s Fort
Melty Monster Galaxy
Fleet Glide Galaxy
Bowser's Galaxy Generator

X. Super Paper Mario

Soft Light
Fort Francis
Gap of Crag
Sammer's Kingdom
The Underwhere
Castle Bleck

X. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Ook
Hyrule Field
Midna's Lament
Blizzeta Battle Second Half
Hidden Village
Zant Battle

Grexeno

PART TWO (Part One here)

Top Ten:

36558-1480520932.jpg

10. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

It’s so awesome.

But it’s so dumb.

But it’s so awesome.

BUT IT’S SO DUMB

Rules of Nature
The Only Thing I Know For Real
Dark Skies
I'm My Own Master Now
A Stranger I Remain
Return to Ashes
The Stains of Time
Red Sun
A Soul Can't Be Cut
Collective Consciousness
It Has To Be This Way
The Hot Wind Blowing

26577-1486182493.jpg

9. Dark Souls

The only soundtrack in the series where you can remember all the boss tracks, because they’re that good.

Taurus Demon
Bell Gargoyle
Gaping Dragon
Ornstein & Smough
Great Grey Wolf Sif
Seath the Scaleless
Gravelord Nito
Crossbreed Priscilla
Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
Knight Artorias
Manus, Father of the Abyss
Kalameet

6930-xclcvqzrmb.jpg

8. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Nintendo finally delivers a fully orchestrated Zelda soundtrack, and the results were worth waiting for.

Ballad of the Goddess
Romance in the Air
Fi's Theme
Faron Woods
Ghirahim's Theme
Message from the Goddess
Earth Temple
Lanayru Mining Facility
Koloktos / Moldarach
Lanayru Sand Sea
Final Ghirahim
Staff Roll

55906-1450907516.jpg

7. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game

Every generation now has it’s one fantastic chiptune soundtrack, and this is the 7th Gen’s chiptune king.

Another Winter
Bollywood
Just Like in the Movies
Skate or Live
Rock Club
Subboss Theme
Vegetable Rock
Rox 300
Techno Man
Twin Dragons
The Dark One
Gideon Wrath Part I

3945-1264800750.png

6. Pokemon Diamond & Pearl

While other Pokemon soundtracks from this gen may technically be better, this is the one I have the most nostalgia for.

Professor Rowan's Laboratory
Jubilife City
Route 205
Eterna Forest
Route 210
Route 216
Snowpoint City (Night)
Team Galactic Headquarters
Team Galactic Boss Battle
Mt. Coronet
Dialga & Palkia Battle
Champion Cynthia Battle

2601-1228451842.jpg

5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations

What is probably the best Ace Attorney game also has arguably the best Ace Attorney soundtrack.

Courtroom Lounge ~ Neverending Overture
Trial 2004
Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2004
Cross-Examination ~ Allegro 2004
Pursuit ~ Caught
Mask☆deMasque ~ Please Listen!
Godot ~ The Fragrance of Dark Coffee
Reminiscence ~ Hazy Scenery from the Bridge
Elise Deauxnim ~ Simple Melody
Search ~ In The Midst 2004
Reminiscence ~ The Bitter Taste of Truth
End

10018-1225318980.jpg

4. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

After some good but not great soundtracks on the DS, Castlevania finally put it all together for one of its best.

Sapphire Elegy
A Clashing of Waves
Rhapsody of the Forsaken
Emerald Mist
Unholy Vespers
Wandering the Crystal Blue
Hard-Won Nobility
Sorrow's Distortion
Lament to the Master
An Empty Tome
Chamber of Ruin
Tower of Dolls

16078-1319685527.jpg

3. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

The perfect complement to the game’s puzzle rooms and tense situations.

Extreme Extrication

Binary Game
Ternary Game
Quaternary Game
Quinary Game
Senary Game
Septenary Game
Octal Game
Nonary Game
Chill and Rigor
Digital Root
Morphogenetic Sorrow

2602-1210607710.jpg

2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

One of the greatest soundtracks of all time, it pretty much sells the series’ zany courtroom antics by itself.

Trial
Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2001
Examination ~ Allegro 2001
Investigation ~ Cornered
Turnabout Sisters' Theme 2001
Dick Gumshoe
Reminiscence ~ True Evening of Grief
The Steel Samurai
Reminiscence ~ DL6 Case
Search ~ Core 2001
Recollection ~ SL9 Incident
Jake Marshall ~ The Detective that came from the Wild West

18946-1276150886.png

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

Nothing less than a contender for the best game soundtrack ever made.

Main Theme
Prologue B
Colony 9
Engage the Enemy
Gaur Plains
One Who Gets in Our Way
Unfinished Battle
Satorl, the Shimmering Marsh (Night)
Makna Forest
Frontier Village
Where the Ancestors Sleep
Prison Island
Snowy Valak Mountain (Night)
Sword Valley
Galahad Fortress
You Will Know Our Names
Mechonis Field
Mechanical Rhythm
Imperial Capital Agniratha
Central Factory
Colony 6 (Future)
To the Last Battle
Zanza
The God-Slaying Sword

NieR. No contest. Snow in Summer, Shadowlord, take your pick. I can't even bother to come up with 9 other games that come close.

I'm still not sure which AA entry I'm going for.
Leaning towards one of Edgey's titles.

Pokemon though, I've got that on lock.

gngf123

This is mine, a WIP:

1, NieR
Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama, Keigo Hoashi, Takafumi Nishimura
Kaine Salvation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxcNHCFkf8&list=PLA482503D16FCCA5A&index=26
Song of the Ancients - Fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPMOdnqKZmg&list=PLA482503D16FCCA5A&index=32

2, Fez
Disasterpeace
Glitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnbKfyOQoGk&list=PL89C6D0CCE49B641D&index=12
Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA-SGTmKnP0&index=24&list=PL89C6D0CCE49B641D

3, Xenoblade Chronicles
Main Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OxpAqDc4JE
Gaur Plains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dy74NOzcS8

4, Super Meat Boy
Danny Baranowsky
The Battle of Lil' Slugger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL-8rU8ltA4&list=PL30CBE824B1B0915B&index=5
Dr Fetus' Castle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE_Lrs8LomE

5, Super Mario Galaxy
Mahito Yokota, Koji Kondo
Gusty Garden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIWhy-urqM
Stardust Road: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu4TmMOArWA

6, The Last Remnant
Tsuyoshi Sekito, Yasuhiro Yamanaka
The Gates of Hell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9p40zrpg7c
One Step: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw7thNHGu4Q

7, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Jamie Christopherson
A Stranger I Remain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWnS8iKYnbQ
I'm My Own Master Now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPDDkrDpZhU&index=4&list=PL1tFM4hAoC6VGoSUQBWXdykwzjT96cYeb

8, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Tomohito Nishiura
Memories: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlG6-NK6N8Q&list=PLAC122BB60EF185BF&index=16
Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-W4iDW5o6Y

9, VVVVVV
Magnus Pålsson
Passion For Exploring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0j6pe043L4&list=PLABABF31BA6F27C5C&index=7
Popular Potpourri: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1zxRWDb4V4&index=15&list=PLABABF31BA6F27C5C

10, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Takami Asano
Reset (Instrumental): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeJF3fcj3Hs&index=21&list=PLDEBEF444C453A045
Demon of Darkness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGUmlenmnas&index=2&list=PLDEBEF444C453A045

Emerald Mist is SO GOOD.

My list is slowly locking into place. Will be a very eclectic one, I can tell; this was the beginning of the indie revolution so some real bangers came out to complement old console hands at the composition duties.

Top Bottom