• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Analysis: Thumper on Nintendo Switch with PS4 comparison

Video just went live courtesy of Digital Foundry's John Linneman.

A quick summary if you're unable to watch right now:

-Latency free controls in portable mode versus variable latency depending on your TV set or monitor
-Game renders in native 1080p in docked mode at a rock solid 60fps
-In handheld mode, Thumper renders at a native 720p on Switch's display
-Features some of the best antialiasing ever seen on Switch to date
-Draw distance and LOD identical to the PS4 version
-However, like the PS VR version, motion blur and chromatic aberration have been axed on Switch. Still, John didn't notice they were missing at all until he loaded it up on PS4 for comparison. But he also noted that these missing effects work well with the game's art direction, which leaves the Switch version looking plainer.
-There are minor differences in shading, possibly due to Drool creating a brand new shader just for the Switch version.

---

Head over to Cerium's thread for even more Thumper visual analysis:

Looks like an impressive port

Game should be out now on the eShop in all regions. $20.

Review Thread

Seems like a very good port. Still haven't picked this up for whatever reason, but I guess now I'll have to make a decision between Switch and PS4.

Sounds like a wonderful port! I'll be picking this up later tonight for sure. Gotta reward devs for putting in the effort like this, and it looks like some crazy fun too.

Reg

Banned
The effects took a downgrade. Oh well, consider how weak the hardware is this port ain't bad.

J@hranimo

Banned
I agree with John here in the video, when looking at the PS4 and Switch version side by side that's the only time I really noticed the visual differences. Shoutout to both Nintendo and Drool for making this port happen!

It's a must buy Switch GAF

Agreed.

-shadow-

-Motion blur and chromatic aberration have been removed on Switch, presumably to ensure it runs at a rock-solid 60fps at all times. However, John didn't notice they were missing at all until he loaded it up on PS4. He also noted that these missing effects work well with the game's art direction, so the Switch version doesn't look quite as rich.

Definitive version confirmed!
half serious

I really do like the way the game looks and it looks like a terrific port. But I have absolutely zero idea how it actually works and am really unsure if I want to even give this a try for the full €20.

Crash331

Switch version is best version confirmed

Why games add this, I do not know. Anyone who deals with cameras a lot tried to eliminate CA by either buying really expensive lenses or by doing time-consuming post processing.

It's like adding a filter that gives you dead pixels or something.

Why games add this, I do not know. Anyone who deals with cameras a lot tried to eliminate CA by either buying really expensive lenses or by doing time-consuming post processing.

Well, I'd argue the same thing about Lens Flair, but the rest of the world seems to love that effect so... *shrug*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I could agree in most cases but not here. This isn't designed to simulate a camera and the effects add to the presentation, I feel.

The PS4 side, on the left, benefits from it.

eevc.jpg

bender

What time is it?
HD Rumble worth the double dip? That concept makes me want Rez for the Switch.

Did DF every do an analysis of Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom? Sorry, the end of the video popped that question into my head.

I played a bit of the game at a friend's home, it was the beginning, but I heard that the game becomes soon very very (very) hard. :D

Yeah it starts off fairly easy but by the end of the first level it gets ridiculously fast paced. And the fact that they keep throwing new stuff at you is nice.

Did DF every do an analysis of Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom? Sorry, the end of the video popped that question into my head.

The HD rumble is pretty cool actually. It lets you feel when you're scraping a wall on your right or left by simulating that scraping sensation on the right or left joycon, and breaking those stick things (no idea what anything in this game is called) feels really cool. This is probably the most impressive use of HD rumble I've felt outside of 1, 2, Switch.

My PS4 gave up the ghost, and I gave myself a post-grad present of a Pro. I also have a Switch. I've been meaning to play Thumper for quite some time. I don't have a 4K TV or a PSVR, which version should I get? Is it worth the lack of effects for Dat HD Rumble? Or is it worth the full insanity on the Pro?

Plum

Really not sure whether to buy this on Switch for that portability (and because I can play it now) or on PS4 Pro for that 4K (on the 4K TV I'm getting in a few weeks) and potential VR-play in the future. Got some first world problems here, I know.

eltercero

It's the first game I actually noticed the HD Rumble. Specially when shooting to the bosses, where it makes a vibration from bottom to top that it's quite noticeable (and cool).

-shadow-

I could agree in most cases but not here. This isn't designed to simulate a camera and the effects add to the presentation, I feel.

eevc.jpg

This was captured on the Pro correct? Because the image quality is amazing!
Also would CA really take a hit on the frame-rate? I always thought it was a relative easy effect to pull off.

I still can't understand why the PS4 version hasn't had a calibration option patched in to eliminate input lag when playing on a TV.

The Switch screen is a real upgrade in gameplay compared to playing the PS4 on my TV, even in Game Mode.

VR on PS4 or PC still is the best way to play the game but portability and HD rumble made this an easy decision to double dip on. I'll get a PSVR some day...

Ombala

eevc.jpg
Thats a prty bit difference and a totally different "feel" to the graphics.

watershed

Banned
Can confirm that the game looks amazing on the Switch, especially in handheld mode. And the hd rumble is really well done in this game. It adds to the whole brutal nature of the game.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to play Thumper, specially on VR, but jut looking at this video gave me a light headache... It seems that I'm unlucky :( .

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This was captured on the Pro correct? Because the image quality is amazing!
Also would CA really take a hit on the frame-rate? I always thought it was a relative easy effect to pull off.
Yeah, that's a Pro shot downsampled.

CA certainly isn't a free effect by any means though it can vary per implementation.

Mrbob

So the Switch got rid of the two worst graphics features? Motion blur and CA are the worst. I turn both off in every PC game when I can. Sounds like a big win to me.

unrealist

I think most Indie games typically run well on most toasters, much less the Switch. It is finally good to see something run on 60FPS on the Switch tho.

Neiteio

I think most Indie games typically run well on most toasters, much less the Switch. It is finally good to see something run on 60FPS on the Switch tho.
Lots of games run at 60fps on Switch. Mario Kart and ARMS are both 1080p 60fps docked. You should actually check out the system -- it's good stuff! :)

pswii60

eevc.jpg

It's the lighting that stands out to me as the biggest difference. The one on the right looks really flat compared to the left.

Top Bottom