• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Analysis: Thumper on Nintendo Switch with PS4 comparison

Neiteio

Pro tip for those playing on Switch: Go into Options, then Audio, and max out the sound. You'll want it at max for the full effect.

Oh, and the Switch's HD Rumble is fantastic in this game. It's like this rippling surge of power when you counterattack the bosses. Adds so much!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As Digital Foundry points out, most games on the Switch run in 60fps.
It's true! If you go through the list of games released right now (and look at lots of upcoming titles), at least 80% of them are 60fps. Possibly more. It's really quite fascinating.

That seems significant.
I pointed that out in the video.

It's obvious they are disabled in VR to avoid motion sickness rather than for performance reasons. Motion blur HAS to be disabled in VR as it really does not work at all while CA becomes supremely difficult to look at.

Man I wish there was some way to turn the grain off on the Switch :/

I usually don't mind it much in games, but it looks a bit pointless here and takes away from a nice clean image. I guess it's there because without it it might all look a bit... sparse. But frankly, I'm okay with that. Games like this and audiosurf don't need to be chucking grain all over the place.

GenG3000

This shit is amazing. It's like rhythm WipeOut. At some point you end up completely disconnected from your surroundings.

Luigiv

If we play that game, might as well mention the Vive version as the definitive one.
100% agree with this. I don't understand how people like psvr when i tired it i hated it but that was because of the headset. Anyways no need to make this some stupid this is better than that post. I'll double dip for this game. Gonna download now.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was about to get this game while I read this particular comment (which got a ton of upvotes) on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6bx3pg/thumper_now_live_in_na_eshop/dhqdmwc/

He points out the flaws which makes the game seem repetitive (all levels being similar) and tedious .. is this really the case?
The game does add new mechanics as the game progress, but like basically every game, the mechanics will be repeated through the game. The graphics and music in Thumper doesnt really change that drastically through the game, at least not from what i can remember. I can see why people might feel that it can get a bit boring or repetetive because of that. But for me personally, i played a few levels here and there over some days, i enjoyed the game throughout.

100% agree with this. I don't understand how people like psvr when i tired it i hated it but that was because of the headset. Anyways no need to make this some stupid this is better than that post. I'll double dip for this game. Gonna download now.
People like VR because it brings a very different experience. I played Thumper in VR and loved it. Tried to play it in 2D afterwards and it felt quite different.

kyser73

I was about to get this game while I read this particular comment (which got a ton of upvotes) on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6bx3pg/thumper_now_live_in_na_eshop/dhqdmwc/

He points out the flaws which makes the game seem repetitive (all levels being similar) and tedious .. is this really the case?

Sounds like the OP needs to git gud.

He's right about it not being a standard rhythm game though - there aren't happy poppy tunes, rather a relentless audiovisual assault that demands utmost concentration.

It's a soundtrack that is purposely monotonous and trance inducing so that you get immersed and in sync with the rhythm and mechanics of the game. It's ok not to like it but nobody can't deny that the music fits perfectly with the concept of the game.

If instead of one single music line throughout the game this would've been a set of clear cut distinguishable songs then the whole continuity and progress of the game and immersion would be completely broken and we would necessarily be having a completely different game.

I really don't get why people don't value conceptual coherence and integrity in games.
It's the same thing with breath of the wild and how do many people complain about the mechanics that are absolutely central to the core concept of the game. Some people just seem to only want the same old same old and let the medium stagnate until all games play the same.

Peltz

Impressive port. I'll never play this game in anything but VR, but glad the Switch hardware is handling it with no dips.

To those wondering why the VR experience is so superior, it's not just the lack of input lag. The ability to see genuine depth is a huge advantage in this game and makes timing far easier and more satisfying.

Seik

Banned
I'll probably end up buying it tonight. :D

I'm sure the VR experience is awesome though, but I don't plan to invest in VR yet.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I love how the indie developers are just killing it with their ports. Could definitely see myself playing Thumper on the go

Majority of Switch games are 60fps.

Hot damn.

I want this game after seeing some gameplay vids. I love the deep bass and percussive sounds so this will be the second rhythm game I've ever purchased (first being HarmoKnight).

Wow, I didn't notice the visual differences until they were placed side-by-side either. Good on the devs for translating the experience so well on the Switch at 60 fps no less.

Jazzem

Ha, loved this bit:

3TMu26I.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
The video is a must watch just to see how close the port is and how great the switch version looks in motion.
Seriously, they should offer an option to turn them off in the other versions!
The game looks better with them enabled. Buts it's largely academic once you have everything flying past you at 200mph:
I could agree in most cases but not here. This isn't designed to simulate a camera and the effects add to the presentation, I feel.

The PS4 side, on the left, benefits from it.

eevc.jpg

Brofield

Fuck it, it's payday and I want to try something new. Had my eye on it for a while but only have vanilla PS4. I want my shiny new Switch to get more great ports like this

Gold_Loot

I have zero interest in a switch (at least at this point in time) but, for you guys that have one, this game is an absolute must buy.

Probably still one of my favorite VR games.

Gold_Loot

I'm watching that comparison video and I'm not sure what happens in that game

You go in a straight lane... Fast?
Well.. yes, and no. Later mechanics include lane switching , shielding and jumping .

Think of it more like a nightmare Amplitude with things trying to kill you.

azyless

I'm watching that comparison video and I'm not sure what happens in that game

You go in a straight lane... Fast?
There are prompts. Tap A, Hold A, Left/Right for turns, Up/Down for jumping/stomping, etc. (I'm only on level 4 I don't know what comes later).

Top Bottom