• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

That's X + X-2 numbers (and probably HD remasters), which isn't a fair comparison unless you also count VII compilation sales. VII is still the best selling entry.

I noticed, which means I have to throw that entire page in the trash and find something else. My initial point still remains that FF7R is far from their highest priority in terms of projects.

I wanna re-post this since it seems more relevant now: Square Enix has been poaching artists working on FFVII Remake at CC2 since August 2016

This is speculation based on a resume, but it looks like Square Enix poached at least one artist who was working on FF7 Remake at CyberConnect 2 last August

duckroll

I wanna re-post this since it seems more relevant now: Square Enix has been poaching artists working on FFVII Remake at CC2 since August 2016

This isn't surprising at all though. After they ended their relationship with Jupiter (KH CoM, TWEWY) at least a couple of Jupiter staff who were leads on those games moved to S-E and continued to work on KH games even when they were now developed under h.a.n.d. One of those dudes is the other Hiroyuki Ito!

FinalAres

This isn't surprising at all though. After they ended their relationship with Jupiter (KH CoM, TWEWY) at least a couple of Jupiter staff who were leads on those games moved to S-E and continued to work on KH games even when they were now developed under h.a.n.d. One of those dudes is the other Hiroyuki Ito!
Wait, are you sure that's not the same hiroyuki Ito? I assumed he'd gone there to work on some lower key stuff after XII.

duckroll

Wait, are you sure that's not the same hiroyuki Ito? I assumed he'd gone there to work on some lower key stuff after XII.

No he's a younger guy whose name is written differently. Used to work at Jupiter. After bonding with Nomura, moved to S-E. Now leading on Unchained Chi. His name is 伊藤寿恭 while the FF Ito is 伊藤裕之.

FinalAres

No he's a younger guy whose name is written differently. Used to work at Jupiter. After bonding with Nomura, moved to S-E. Now leading on Unchained Chi. His name is 伊藤寿恭 while the FF Ito is 伊藤裕之.
Thats super interesting. I've been following Ito for a while (no, I'm not THAT guy) and the Jupiter stuff was one of the only ways I could fill in the blanks. Presumably older Ito did at least work on Guardian Cross?

Thats super interesting. I've been following Ito for a while (no, I'm not THAT guy) and the Jupiter stuff was one of the only ways I could fill in the blanks. Presumably older Ito did at least work on Guardian Cross?
The older Ito just checks in SE every day so that he can take his paycheck at the end of the month. I doubt they are even bothering to utilize his potential considering how incompetent SE is, and how they keep their employees for a long time thanks to Japanese tradition. Unless Ito is interested in freelancing, I doubt he will leave SE.

FinalAres

The older Ito just checks in SE every day so that he can take his paycheck at the end of the month. I doubt they are even bothering to utilize his potential considering how incompetent SE is, and how they keep their employees for a long time thanks to Japanese tradition. Unless Ito is interested in freelancing, I doubt he will leave SE.
Do you want to read back what you wrote and think about how little sense that makes?

He's clearly been working on projects that have been cancelled before announcement, or (given SEs propensity to announce early on) have never been greenlighted, perhaps due to there being no resoure available.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I believe you mean Union Cross~~~

Plum

I haven't actually played FF7. According to How Long to Beat I would probably be able to finish the game two or even three times before the remake comes out. That is, of course, if I play at a rate of one hour a week.

Do you want to read back what you wrote and think about how little sense that makes?

He's clearly been working on projects that have been cancelled before announcement, or (given SEs propensity to announce early on) have never been greenlighted, perhaps due to there being no resoure available.
You need to learn to detect sarcasm. I mean seriously, the role of Ito at SE has become a joke and there are many people who have tried to persuade SE to even talk about his current or future projects and they get jack shit in return. So why all this mystery?

Besides, it's not like you or anyone (including me) have a proper idea what has even happened to him behind the scenes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hahahahahaha. :(

They also expanded the avatar system at the same time (to help distinguish your characters), so now you can just straight up dress like any Kingdom Hearts character:

kingdomheartsodquf.png

The game seemed to make more money after this, so good on Ito!

The Jason

The whole reason they said they would never remake FFVII was because they were worried about it not being done right. So I always thought it was odd to have a separate company develop the first part of the FFVII Remake. It makes sense to move development back to SE.

I assume they will still be using Unreal Engine 4 for development so they should be able to use all the assets easily.

Its unfortunate that some time may have been wasted but hopefully SE will devote a lot of resources to the project now. I have been waiting for a remake for over 15 years so I just want them to do a good job. We all just wonder should they just move the project to PS5 already? haha

Asd202

Final Fantasy VII Remake Slightly Extended/Alternate Trailer Footage

-The soldier pointing his gun upwards above the train.
-Camera pulls back more to see many other soldiers seeing Cloud get away
-The shot of Biggs talking to Jessie, he looked at her after he said "Look, with heavy security like this, you want a professional one" and she looks back at him. Something that didn't happen or show in the original gameplay trailer.

SE putting in work! lol. In December it will be 2 years since we had a good look at the game 2 god damn years lol.

Koozek

Not even Versus went almost 2 years without substantial new footage.

But I'm sure FFVIIR is progressing well unlike Versus and its shift to internal development was a good sign of that 🐸☕

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

But I'm sure FFVIIR is progressing well unlike Versus and its shift to internal development was a good sign of that 🐸☕

I think the opposite, shifting development to internal studios this year means it's likely they scrapped previous work and are starting from scratch.

entremet

LOL.

I remember when CyberConnect was announced as a dev and people were saying it should come out faster because of that.

Oh well.

jett

D-Member

-The shot of Biggs talking to Jessie, he looked at her after he said "Look, with heavy security like this, you want a professional one" and she looks back at him. Something that didn't happen or show in the original gameplay trailer.

Those seconds are first new snippets of footage we've seen in nearly two years. That's unbelievable.

LOL.

I remember when CyberConnect was announced as a dev and people were saying it should come out faster because of that.

Oh well.

Nomura strikes again.

Ahasverus

They share a common thread of death.
LOL.

Oh well.
It would have, but Nomura.

But I'm sure FFVIIR is progressing well unlike Versus and its shift to internal development was a good sign of that ��☕

At least they're actively working on VIIR as opposed to doing basically nothing with Versus for so long.

Of course I can't deny these first couple years for this game have been a bust. Unless they show some impressive trailer come PSX but I seriously doubt it.

LOL.

Oh well.

I'm kinda glad they shifted to internal development. Sure, it's going to take them awhile to hire people and get back on track but I prefer it. The idea of Square basically outsourcing their biggest game(s) of all time is crazy to me.

AAMARMO

Banned
LOL.

Oh well.

Yep. I was also hoping that Platinum Games was going to help out with combat after Nier: Automata but oh well we going wait for 2020.

Twookie

lol that's it?

TWO years, man

PSX better have some new footage

Dark_castle

Lmao, rreally reminded me of Versus XIII here with these kind of slightly edited footage .

fortunato

Banned
As a huge FFVII fan, what concerns me the most is the fact that we're waiting for the first chapter of the game, and not even for the full-fledge title!

jett

D-Member
Yep. I was also hoping that Platinum Games was going to help out with combat after Nier: Automata but oh well we going wait for 2020.

Let's see.

Versus was announced in 2006, was ultimately released in a cobbled-together state in 2016 by another director and another team.

Final Fantasy Nier will rise from the ashes of Nomura's latest fuckup, directed by Yoko Taro, developed by Platinum games, and released in 2025 on the PS5.

I'm pretty sure we had stretches of 2 years, if not more, without seeing anything new from Versus. Hell wasn't there a significant gap between the January 2011 trailer to the E3 2013 XV reveal trailer with next to nothing new being shown? My memory is hazy.

Either way, if FFVII Remake doesn't show up at PSX then I don't even know what to think anymore.

AAMARMO

Banned
I'm pretty sure we had stretches of 2 years, if not more, without seeing anything new from Versus. Hell wasn't there a significant gap between the January 2011 trailer to the E3 2013 XV reveal trailer with next to nothing new being shown? My memory is hazy.

Either way, if FFVII Remake doesn't show up at PSX then I don't even know what to think anymore.

It's not going to show up don't do this to yourself.

Top Bottom