• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

Mr. RHC

Veyk4wL.gif

I'll ask again since nobody responded to me. How is Square moving this game to internal development Nomura's fault?

Most people here are just using this thread as an excuse to reiterate their Versus XIII theories, sure he probably made some mistakes there, but what does this news have to do with anything?

because people need a scapegoat, someone to vent their anger at

i think all of us can agree that nomura has his share of fault on the situation given the past years - but this is just pure hyperbole again - not analyzing the current situation at Square ENix & the fact they announce their games to early

I mentioned in another thread, but the development of Kh3 wouldn't be that untypical for an RPG Game (given their experience and the engine problems) if it releases in 2018

the game got announced way to early like Square Enix always does & the Nomura gets all - really all of the shit

Por que no los dos? Or whatever, Gooch wasnt wrong when he called him shit when he was drunk

Gooch never called him 'shit'. He's been very open about his respect for Kitase's creative talents (hell, he saddled him with directing FFV, VI, VII, & VIII). He's just (rightfully) critical regarding his 'producer' role. Creative people tend to be better at, you know, creating... not necessarily allowing the inmates to run the asylum. Worked with FFX because he was more hands on, didn't work with XIII, and he was purged from vsXIII when production shifted to Tabata.

Calling Kitase 'shit', as a blunt, general statement, is laughably ignorant and childish. This isn't Twitter. You can use more words.

Most people are blaming Nomura because when you compare his projects to other directors, the difference is obvious. It is like his projects are somehow doomed and unless they are remasters, news about them is scarce and interviews that he conducts about them are monotonous to the point that one GAFFER even confused a sarcastic interview by Koozek and assumed it was really by Nomura.

Nomura needs to put work where his mouth his and deliver on what he promises instead of babbling the same repetitive shit in his interviews without any shred of new information. Same shit, different angle is basically the gist of his majority of FFVII: Remake interviews, same for KH3.

If he has nothing concrete to say, then he should just shut up. I know the press and fans want answers but if he can't give them, why bother? Instead he should work on showing progress from the game in a way that people don't easily doubt when a news like this hits one of his projects. There is a reason why people didn't have a hard time believing that this could spell a troubled production for VII: Remake.

VKY49ok.jpg

April 2083 - Visiting the ancient ruins of New York. Progress is coming along well on Remake, still working on brushing up that scene from the first trailer. Please be excited!

If he has nothing concrete to say, then he should just shut up. I know the press and fans want answers but if he can't give them, why bother? Instead he should work on showing progress from the game in a way that people don't easily doubt when a news like this hits one of his projects. There is a reason why people didn't have a hard time believing that this could spell a troubled production for VII: Remake.

actually he wanted to show new material to FF7 but wasn't allowed to.
There is a strict marketing plan at Square Enix -

actually he wanted to show new material to FF7 but wasn't allowed to.
There is a strict marketing plan at Square Enix -
You are just proving my point. Saying that he has material to show but can't show them is epic blue balls teasing and basically troll mode from Nomura. He should stop doing this shit and instead just roll on with the marketing plan of SE.

He tends to do this shit a lot. "I can show a lot of cool shit but I won't because I am not allowed.

How does this even help the fans?

SpaceWolf

Banned
The sad thing is, we're all probably going to have to wait about five years for the first episode to come out (which is most likely going to purely revolve around Midgar) before waiting another few years for the next episode.

It's going to be a total George RR Martin situation, I can feel it in my bones.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I mean...why even do it at all if it's going to be like that.
IMO this was the worst part about FFX.

Because while the world map is great, that isn't why people love FFVII. People love VII because of the setting, the story, the characters.

I'd gladly give up the world map if there was some sort of development issue based around it.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
You are just proving my point. Saying that he has material to show but can't show them is epic blue balls teasing and basically troll mode from Nomura. He should stop doing this shit and instead just roll on with the marketing plan of SE.

He tends to do this shit a lot. "I can show a lot of cool shit but I won't because I am not allowed.

How does this even help the fans?

The best part about the cool shit shown is when the game gets completely rebooted and none of the stuff shown is even in the final release. You start to question if that was even real gameplay footage.

I ain't gonna panic like most here I always expected this to release 2019, if it doesn't make that date for the first time ever I will shit on Lord Nomura. Until then, my prediction stands: KH3 2018, FF7r part one 2019.

I ain't gonna panic like most here I always expected this to release 2019, if it doesn't make that date for the first time ever I will shit on Lord Nomura. Until then, my prediction stands: KH3 2018, FF7r part one 2019.
You said the magic words! Although this isn't a Kingdom Hearts III thread this could still count for VII R.
qYWnmXg.gif

I really want to eat crow about this, but this still seems too optimitic for a game we've seen so little of.

Last time we saw FFVII: Remake was PSX 2015. Here are all the interview of Nomura/Kitase that I could find after that event.

January 2016 said:

April 2016 said:

October 2016 said:

January 2017 said:

January 2017 said:

February 2017 said:

March 2017 said:

I really want to eat crow about this, but this still seems too optimitic for a game we've seen so little of.

A few years ago I was saying on here that there's no way FFXV would be before 2018, and when they announced it for September 2016 (and Nov) I was skeptical to the max that they would meet that (those) dates as it still felt too soon based on how production was going and the percentages they were tossing out.

And despite the fact that they released it, we just got a survey asking what parts of the story that we want to see added back in. I may have technically been wrong about its release date, but it should have been a 2018 title. After that, even if they come out and say that this will be out... let's say 2019 or 2020, after FFXV, color me skeptical about whether or not it's going to make a date or be finished by said dates, because they're obviously not beyond giving it to us incomplete.

It's one reason why I'm okay with the idea, in general, to make it episodic. If they can plan and price these right, as long as the actual quality is there, I'm down. If they feel overpriced, rushed, and have haphazard releases, that'll be a major blow.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I can't believe the Square Enix/Nomura white knights are still insisting that this is all "hyperbole".

Final Fantasy XII, XIII, XIV, XV, and Kingdom Hearts 3 have ALL been massive clusterfucks with multi-year delays, engine changes, platform changes, director changes, etc. XIV was so terrible they had to apolgize and take it offline while they rebuilt it from scratch.

So forgive us for not giving S-E the benefit of the doubt this time around.

Squire

Banned
Gooch never called him 'shit'. He's been very open about his respect for Kitase's creative talents (hell, he saddled him with directing FFV, VI, VII, & VIII). He's just (rightfully) critical regarding his 'producer' role. Creative people tend to be better at, you know, creating... not necessarily allowing the inmates to run the asylum. Worked with FFX because he was more hands on, didn't work with XIII, and he was purged from vsXIII when production shifted to Tabata.

Calling Kitase 'shit', as a blunt, general statement, is laughably ignorant and childish. This isn't Twitter. You can use more words.

LOL excellent choice of words

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
A few years ago I was saying on here that there's no way FFXV would be before 2018, and when they announced it for September 2016 (and Nov) I was skeptical to the max that they would meet that (those) dates as it still felt too soon based on how production was going and the percentages they were tossing out.

And despite the fact that they released it, we just got a survey asking what parts of the story that we want to see added back in. I may have technically been wrong about its release date, but it should have been a 2018 title. After that, even if they come out and say that this will be out... let's say 2019 or 2020, after FFXV, color me skeptical about whether or not it's going to make a date or be finished by said dates, because they're obviously not beyond giving it to us incomplete.

It's one reason why I'm okay with the idea, in general, to make it episodic. If they can plan and price these right, as long as the actual quality is there, I'm down. If they feel overpriced, rushed, and have haphazard releases, that'll be a major blow.
Pricing? I'm positive each episode will be priced as a full game. So the only factor is if each episode will be a full game's worth of content.

FFXV only took about 4 years after its reboot but that was after 8 years of Nomura fiddling so they probably had a lot more to work with.

TBH I just cant see this coming this side of 2020 now.

I think its another FF versus XIII.

We will see it make a token appearance at the eve of next generation as its re debuted for the new consoles and it will arrive a few years after launch.

I will also guess this will probably push any FFXVI plans square had for a bit.

Shifty1897

The last time a SE game went through development hell I got a game that made no sense.

I can't wait until the
Aeris death scene
happens off screen and Cloud finds out about it in the paper.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The last time a SE game went through development hell I got a game that made no sense.

I can't wait until the
Aeris death scene
happens off screen and Cloud finds out about it in the paper.
Haha. I laughed.

To be honest, the idea i'd be ok with would be the damn company being competent for once and releasing completed, well developed games in acceptable time frames, specially considering how big SE is and the importance it used to have. This whole ordeal with every new project is laughable, seriously.

Speaking of XV, looks like the behemoth jacket was finally released in EU as a DLC bundle with the King of Lucis pendant and the Caelum watch. For free.

Poor Japan had to buy the actual jacket to get the DLC.

To be honest, the idea i'd be ok with would be the damn company being competent for once and releasing completed, well developed games in acceptable time frames, specially considering how big SE is and the importance it used to have. This whole ordeal with every new project is laughable, seriously.

No Final Fantasy game will ever be seen as complete again because after 10 years they still havent gotten over the concept of patches or DLC. FFXII is seen as complete despite having a international edition that overhauls the entire damn game. But it wasnt a patch or DLC so its ok.

Speaking of XV, looks like the behemoth jacket was finally released in EU as a DLC bundle with the King of Lucis pendant and the Caelum watch. For free.

Poor Japan had to buy the actual jacket to get the DLC.

Buying a actual jacket and getting a DLC code for a virtual version of that jacket is my kind of dumb.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I can't believe the Square Enix/Nomura white knights are still insisting that this is all "hyperbole".

Final Fantasy XII, XIII, XIV, XV, and Kingdom Hearts 3 have ALL been massive clusterfucks with multi-year delays, engine changes, platform changes, director changes, etc. XIV was so terrible they had to apolgize and take it offline while they rebuilt it from scratch.

So forgive us for not giving S-E the benefit of the doubt this time around.

I wish Nomura would start a kickstarter and drain them dry haha.

Sure, why don't you announce this game in this big way in 2015 when it barely even started development?
The answer lies in where they announced it, who they made a (timed?) exclusivity deal with, and one of their executives saying that they pulled the strings to make the legendary 3 announcements happened because it was great PR.

That's why they announced a game they had barely started.

AmyS

I wonder if development is going to go from Unreal Engine 4 back to Luminous Engine.

Edit: I somehow really doubt it.

Kyzer

Banned
I'll ask again since nobody responded to me. How is Square moving this game to internal development Nomura's fault?

Most people here are just using this thread as an excuse to reiterate their Versus XIII theories, sure he probably made some mistakes there, but what does this news have to do with anything?

What does Nomura have to do with the development of FFVII 🤔

Top Bottom