• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

Slater

Banned
I'll ask again since nobody responded to me. How is Square moving this game to internal development Nomura's fault?

Most people here are just using this thread as an excuse to reiterate their Versus XIII theories, sure he probably made some mistakes there, but what does this news have to do with anything?

People used things like CC2 and Unreal to explain why Remake would be made faster and It was Luminious/Crystal Tools everyone elses fault Versus never got made.

This puts a huge whole in that, along with literally everything we know about Nomura as a director points to him being a procrastinating perfectionist that slows things to a crawl and Kitase a shit producer who cant get him to do shit

People used things like CC2 and Unreal to explain why Remake would be made faster and It was Luminious/Crystal Tools everyone elses fault Versus never got made.

This puts a huge whole in that, along with literally everything we know about Nomura as a director points to him being a procrastinating perfectionist that slows things to a crawl and Kitase a shit producer who cant get him to do shit

So you believe that Square Enix is switching teams in an attempt to shift blame from a single developer? That doesnt make sense. If SE thought CC2 could handle this project they'd still be on it, they're clearly more confident in BD1.

Also Kitase shipped 3 HD games last gen so i dont know why you're even bringing him up.

JayEH

I was thinking we'd get a new trailer this e3 because of the screenshots a couple months back but not so sure anymore. I do wonder how long they've been making the transition though. Obviously not 100% of the work was being by CC2 and I doubt it was just last week they were trying to get more people for the project. They're also not going to throw out everything done as well.

I was thinking we'd get a new trailer this e3 because of the screenshots a couple months back but not so sure anymore. I do wonder how long they've been making the transition though. Obviously not 100% of the work was being by CC2 and I doubt it was just last week they were trying to get more people for the project. They're also not going to throw out everything done as well.
I'm thinking we will get a trailer. I'm hopeful for at least that. Hopefully with Tifa and Aerith in it.

Besides, Nomura loves his trailers.

RedAssedApe

Banned
nomura probably shouldn't be in charge of anything not art related. definitely proven that he can't get a game done in a reasonable amount of time.

Eylos

Banned
Im not an expert on Gifs and i Hope im wrong on this, but for this e3:
giphy.gif

wtd2009

I'm thinking we will get a trailer. I'm hopeful for at least that. Hopefully with Tifa and Aerith in it.

I will take back all of my criticism if this happens...and if we get some kind of time frame for this game. I'm not holding my breath, though.

JayEH

Steve Burton did say last month he was doing some recording for cloud so maybe there's a chance!

Inb4 it's for KH3 or some mobile game.

Koozek

After a discrete TGS'17 trailer, Square-Enix ensues an official statement: "We would like to announce that Tetsuya Nomura has stepped down as director from Final Fantasy VII in order to focus on new breathtaking and promising projects that will shape the future of our company. Hajime Tabata will now take the lead and deliver the product the fans want to play. Thank you".

Hajime Tabata: "While making Final Fantasy VII Remake we want players to play a cohesive story in one go, so the game is no longer episodic from now on"

*3 months later*

Hajime Tabata: "While making Final Fantasy VII Remake we want players to play a cohesive story in one go, so you will get the full experience... by playing the game"

*the game misses an E3, 5 months later*

Hajime Tabata: "While making Final Fantasy VII Remake we want players to experience a story told in all formats and perspectives. Announcing Final Fantasy VII: MidGuard, which tells the events that kick the main game story in motion."

*the movie releases, it's basically the whole first 10 hours of the original game condensed into 50 minutes. Fans start being angry at Tabata. Meanwhile, Sony has announced during E32019 Final Fantasy Versus XV, directed by Tetsuya Nomura, which is described as an alternative fantasy to FFXV, fans go crazy and wishes that Nomura was both directing Versus XV and VIIR*

Hajime Tabata: "While making Final Fantasy VII Remake, we want players to experience a cohesive story which connects the main game to MidGuard and the Crisis Core 2 episode anime. Players who only want to play the game, however, will still get the full picture and will understand everything"

*3 months later, Nomura has released a """"gameplay"""" trailer for Versus XV and it looks freaking good. What we are seeing from the Tabata VII Remake, however, is underwhelming*

Hajime Tabata: "I don't think players should expect to see things from the original vision by old staff that no longer works on the game, but please, this product is still the same as when it was announced?"

*the game is 2 months from being released. Nomura, being the snake he is, uses a poorly drawn signature in a quick artwork to let the fans know that the company doesn't let him show Versus XV until Tabata releases his game. "It's VIIR's turn... sorry for not showing a new trailer, I actually wanted to...". Fans rage.*

Hajime Tabata: "you know what? please watch the movie before playing the game next month..."

*the game releases. You can't visit Midgar City, the only overworld area is the Junon-Midgar continent, you can tell it was rushed to be released. The story doesn't make sense if you don't watch the movie beforehand... and some parts of it were chopped of! Fans are angry that they have to endure this mess of a game which is not even cohesive while Nomura is prohibited to show more of his project*

Hajime Tabata: "when did I say that we wanted to tell a cohesive story? bitch fill the gaps yourself, like..."

*VII R has gained its fanbase, and thanks to the hype, it has sold extremely well. It has been a while since the last time Versus XV got a trailer. People start wondering what is happening to the project*

Tetsuya Nomura: "News from Final Fantasy Versus XV will come, soon".

*However, the news never come. Rumors start surfacing that Versus XV is facing development problems and after the game misses E3'21, S-E releases a statement in which they confirm that they are still working on the game and that players will be surprised the next time they see the game. 3 months later, TGS starts and...*

Square-Enix: "We would like to announce that Tetsuya Nomura has stepped down as director from Final Fantasy Versus XV in order to focus on new breathtaking and promising projects that will shape the future of our company. Kyohei Suzuki will now take the lead and deliver the product the fans want to play. Thank you"

*But Tetsuya Nomura sits at his S-E office about to sign his contract as main director for Final Fantasy XVI, a game that is going to be outsourced because everyone in the company is busy right now. However, Nomura insists that he has the perfect vision for the sixteenth FF game and that it should be made right now.
He has schemed the ultimate plan to take Square-Enix as his. He has destroyed the careers of many rivals: Hiroyuki Ito lives his final days cleaning the toilets of the Akihabara TWEWY café, no one has ever seen Tai Yasue since KH3 launched with 3 playable worlds and 3 minutes of convoluted story and now it is Suzuki's turn. While tickling his hair, he wonders: which other S-E figure should be served as the next pawn? Should he mess with Tabata one more time, or is it Naoki Yoshida's the one that will go next? He will decide that later. It's E3'22 now and the company just debuted the first trailer for Final Fantasy XVI, directed by Tetsuya Nomura, at Sony's conference. During a press conference held the week later, all eyes are on the japanese director*

Tetsuya Nomura: "Oh my god? AM I the person directing this game?? And why is it that I'm finding it out just now? Honestly I had NO IDEA that I was directing this game. Also, why did we even announce it last week? I think that we should be catious, since the game has just entered pre-production. Yeah, FFXVI was announced too soon. Look forward to future announcements. Soon!"

giphy.gif
c60WERS.png
c60WERS.png
c60WERS.png

5TJ1lXd.png
5TJ1lXd.png
5TJ1lXd.png

6mSmY5B.png
6mSmY5B.png
6mSmY5B.png

sn00zer

Square Enix bums me out so much because their Eidos franchises have been excellent while the Square franchises have been largely just okay. But due to name recognition Square franchise can have a clusterfuck of development release a mediocre game and sell far better.

Let's go even further. Let's demake Final Fantasy VII into a traditional 2D game in the style of IV-VI. Just like that NES fan game but with the funds and directing power.

Koozek

Let's go even further. Let's demake Final Fantasy VII into a traditional 2D game in the style of IV-VI. Just like that NES fan game but with the funds and directing power.
Code:
[IMG]http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/FFVII-early-concept-with-characters-from-FFVI.jpg[/IMG]

🤓

Code:
[IMG]http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/FFVII-early-concept-with-characters-from-FFVI.jpg[/IMG]

🤓
At this point, I wouldn't be against it, even though the purpose of the FFVII remake was to bring FFVII into an HD world. I mean, dreams are nice, but I'd love to see this thing come out (in full) before:

1. Nomura dies of old age at his work station.
2. I, and many of us here die of old age.

yunbuns

Honestly the most disappointing thing about this for me is that if they fuck this up then the chances of getting a big-scale remake for VIII or IX is gone. Sighs.

Code:

🤓
Oh yeah I forgot about that one. Now that's something that I want to know more about besides what we already know.

I was thinking of something more along the lines like this.
158745-Final_Fantasy_IV_-_Complete_Collection_(USA)-8.jpg

I fear for my sanity if KH III is not at this E3.
I've joked and sometimes complained about the series but if they don't show anything in this E3 that is of substantial worth (getting a reassuring paragraph from Nomura telling us it's coming isn't substantial to me), then I'll be very sad.

JayEH

I've joked and sometimes complained about the series but if they don't show anything in this E3 that is of substantial worth (getting a reassuring paragraph from Nomura telling us it's coming isn't substantial to me), then I'll be very sad.

You don't believe nomura when he says development is going smoothly? Whaaaa

DNAbro

I fear for my sanity if KH III is not at this E3.

If it isn't then I'll start shit talking Square. I feel like the delayed announcement from the end of last year cause of the FFXV delay was moved over and expanded for E3.

At least that's what I'm currently thinking.

Yeah, It has to be substantial. If they show a trailer with recycled music, gameplay and world again I'm gonna lose it.

Yeah man I really feel bad for the KH fans, "upcoming announcement this winter" eh?

Don't worry, we KH fans are already dead inside.

If it isn't then I'll start shit talking Square. I feel like the delayed announcement from the end of last year cause of the FFXV delay was moved over and expanded for E3.

At least that's what I'm currently thinking.

I agree, that's what makes me really hopeful for E3 news, big news actually.

wrowa

Huh? Read the OP. That's about as close to coming straight out and saying "we weren't happy with the quality" as you can get while still being diplomatic about it.

You don't do something as costly and time consuming as shifting development of a huge AAA project to a different team when everything is going well. The fact that they would even publically say something like "we wanted to have more control over the quality" is a pretty strong statement.

I wasn't trying to say that FFVIIR's development proceeds flawlessly, but that a flawed project structure leads to a flawed project. In this case, you've got the development of a huge AAA project that SE wants to hold close to their chests while at the same time they've got no proper internal core team. That's not the best environment for the development of such a title.

This doesn't mean, however, that the current FFVIIR is of apocalyptic quality or that Nomura, CC2 or any other individual party messed up (and a lot of posts in this thread are about just that: trying to push the blame to a specific company or individual, when the reality of development is usually quite a bit more complex than that). What CC2 - and whoever else worked on it so far - delivered might have been great, but just not quite what the people in charge of the project at SE imagined. Correcting these issues might be inefficient in the current structure, taking more time than it should, leading to quality concerns etc, making a change of structure necessary. However, not being satisfied with the current quality doesn't mean that the game in its current form sucks or is progressing really badly. This also doesn't mean that Nomura is a helpless perfectionist or bad at managing a team, when this development structure most likely isn't something he came up with either.

Obviously, it's also possible that FFVIIR's development is an utter disaster, Nomura being an incompetent fool and that all of the dev companies didn't deliver anything satisfying so far. However, without more insight into the development there's not much of a reason to assume that the worst case is happening here when reality is likely quite a bit less dramatic. And yet, this thread is full of people who just love to be overly dramatic.

Yeah, It has to be substantial. If they show a trailer with recycled music, gameplay and world again I'm gonna lose it.
It will be this trailer:
AgainBut in the Unreal 4 engine. Nomura will say that they were so excited to show new info that they decided to hold on showing it. Instead all the new info will come this upcoming winter and to give us a small taste they showed us this trailer on the new engine to demonstrate how different it looks now.

Also please be excited yada yada.

DNAbro

It will be this trailer:
AgainBut in the Unreal 4 engine. Nomura will say that they were so excited to show new info that they decided to hold on showing it. Instead all the new info will come this upcoming winter and to give us a small taste they showed us this trailer on the new engine to demonstrate how different it looks now.

Also please be excited yada yada.

My dream for a trailer this year is one that includes a new theme song by Utada, a bunch of new worlds, hints at story, and with a Early 2018 release date at the end.

A man can dream dammit.

My dream for a trailer this year is one that includes a new theme song by Utada, a bunch of new worlds, hints at story, and with a Early 2018 release date at the end.

A man can dream dammit.
Even without the early 2018 everything u listed needs to be in

If all we see are sora, Donald and goofy running around the same areas so help me god

A man can dream dammit.
All this please. Also a true CE that isn't Square Enix store exclusive too please.
Even without the early 2018 everything u listed needs to be in

If all we see are sora, Donald and goofy running around the same areas so help me god
You'll get your Olympus Colosseum and you'll like it!

Lynd7

If they weren't so intent on completely re-imagining the game, it'd be much easier. Don't expand the environments, maybe change the perspective, don't touch the battle system etc.

Or even simpler, just redo all the assets in HD and call it a day.

DNAbro

All this please. Also a true CE that isn't Square Enix store exclusive too please.

You'll get your Olympus Colosseum and you'll like it!

I was just thinking of how shit it was going to be that the CE is totally going to be exclusive. and way too expensive. As much as I love KH I'm not spending $250 on a single game.

A man can dream dammit.
I expect Hikki to release the song well before the game just to have something out this year due to her moving to Sony.

Ploid 3.0

This sucks for people anticipating playing this game any time soon. I had my fill just by watching people react to the trailer. Felt good, nostalgia tickled, I'm satisfied from the whole ordeal. The game will not live up to expectations, just like FFXIV didn't and that wasn't a game brought back to life because of strong memories.

Top Bottom