• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stringer "Ps3 Euro launch April" - SCEE says "March", reiterates 6M by end of March

no surprise at all....haha sony keep on giving haha....damn me since I want the games...Im still guessing the way they are going they will miss all of those targets

peace

Alcibiades

woops, I can't edit, but maybe those 6 millions are gonna "ship" (be manufactured), and some will be for the European launch (which he states to be April)...

so they could ship them before the end of March, and just have them sit in retailers backrooms until the April launch...

According to another thread, the PS3 advertising in Europe will start in late March, so a launch in early April wouldn't be surprising.

Alcibiades

on a better note for Sony, HD DVD only sold 60,000 discs:

Howard Stringer said:
I did read all the HD DVD excitement, but I think they sold 60,000 discs, and we actually put out a million.

:lol

Xrenity

And then we have got the European launch in April, which is very important to us.
liar.jpg

Taurus

So if April is March in Sony's calendar then does it mean that "6 million by the end of March" is actually by the end of April? I'm confused. :/

j/k :lol

jax (old)

Banned
for all the people crying about this - the launch is meant to be march anyhow, maybe it was meant to be late march... and a push of 1 week or so, means april. Not a big deal really, if the news of June-Sept, then I'd be screaming for someone's head on a platter.

westical

Banned
Jax said:
for all the people crying about this - the launch is meant to be march anyhow, maybe it was meant to be late march... and a push of 1 week or so, means april. Not a big deal really, if the news of June-Sept, then I'd be screaming for someone's head on a platter.

It was meant to be November 06.

8bit

Knows the Score
Alcibiades said:
on a better note for Sony, HD DVD only sold 60,000 discs:

:lol

He thinks they sold 60,000 but Sony put out a million? And how many did Sony sell? What if Stringer's thoughts are wrong?

This is kind of meaningless without something to back it up.

antiloop

So they wont launch in Europe before they get 6 mil out there in Japan/US? Must mean that demand is really high.

Good thing that they released this official information so we can draw our own conclusions.

Luckyman

Banned
When do you hit a break-even point with the cost of the console?
Stringer: Well, I think Kutaragi-san (PlayStation chief Ken Kutaragi) said that it would be break-even by the end of the year, at the end of '07.

BELIEVE.

What do you think of the LG combo Blu-ray HD DVD player?
Stringer: It's an expensive way of showing universal discs.

Ouch.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Lol, sucks to be a retailer - time to tear down those posters again.

After the last delay Sony sent a full pack of new POP gear to retail which had the March date printed on it.

Ceb

The good news is that we'll get a quick confirmation on the launch date, because word on this will spread around fast.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
reminder said:
I will WAIT and SEE what SCEE announces at the end of the month. :)
Dispite the witty comments that will overflow this thread (myself included), I think this is the best action to take.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Borys said:
Price went up too.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22271

630 Euros, not 600 in Ireland.

Prices are always 'up' in Ireland versus the continent..I paid €260 for my Wii for example, versus €250. It's related to extra environmental/recycling taxes on home electronics here.

(It's actually disappointing GamesIndustry.biz didn't point that out, since I believe its founder is Irish and should know the score in that regard.)

Anyway, as an importer, all I care about is that this doesn't delay the 'big' March update..

Wow he is talking alot of fud there i have a ps3 now in england on import and im so glad i did as this is sounding and awful lot like the psp release which was this date then ohh its slipped a month still good its still good its slipped another few months its still good its still good.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bad_Boy said:
Dispite the witty comments that will overflow this thread (myself included), I think this is the best action to take.

Of course it is for you, you WaitNSeeBot. :lol

GAF used to be totally in favor of jumping around, but now that this news is out all GAF is all "WaitNSee." :lol :lol

:lol :lol WaitNSee Defense Force is out I see.

edit: This post is a failed attempt at humor. :)

bud

What are the goals for this year for PlayStation?

Stringer: I think it's 6 million units by the end of the quarter, worldwide. And then we have got the European launch in April, which is very important to us. I think we have 20 games out there. I assume we're going to increase the number of games.

Secondly, there now are 1 million Blu-ray players in the market, and each of those in the United States has a Blu-ray disc because we put Talladega Nights inside. I'd say 90 percent of the people who (own) PS3s are playing that Blu-ray disc on it or playing other Blu-ray discs on it. Contrary to some of the reports, it is an effective Blu-ray player. The people who like Blu-ray are the people who play PlayStation 3, just as people who play PS2s were the early proponents of the DVD format. It drove the DVD format.

I did read all the HD DVD excitement, but I think they sold 60,000 discs, and we actually put out a million. So Blu-ray format is a strong format. You have to have a high-definition television; you have to have an HDMI link up. But if you've seen the Blu-ray disc on the PlayStation, on the television set attached to PlayStation 3, it's a remarkable image.

lol @ quotes

Top Bottom