• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stringer "Ps3 Euro launch April" - SCEE says "March", reiterates 6M by end of March

Ceb

elostyle said:
What higher authority for confirmation than howard stringer does sony have?

Stringer failed to mention the revised shipment goal of 4.5M though. Could he be mistaken about the EU launch as well? We'll see.

Borys

Banned
They will launch in April alright. April 1st to be exact.

Customer: I want that 630 Euros PS3!
Seller: Here it ... APRIL FOOLS! It's just a box!

Tanzen

It's fun to see how any CEO, Country Chief, people at Sony speak about PS3 in a different way and with different informations, they are living in anarchy...

It's better for Sony to sit around a table and decide to show the same things to the media and people, they are losing a lot of credibility...

Steroyd

...that's not even a funny April fools joke.

Oh well i'll have GOWII to tide me over for a week and a half, hey maybe i can actually buy that MGS PO.... no wait that launches in April to....

FFXII and Okami it is then.

/tries desperately to find a silver lining.

What was the date originally? I don't remember one being announced

The official word is that they are "on track" to go with a March release date, as they were "on track" for a worldwide launch in November including PAL region, just as they were "on track" for a Spring 2006 release.

/April 1st Comes

April fools what we REALLY meant was September not April.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Of course it is for you, you WaitNSeeBot. :lol

GAF used to be totally in favor of jumping around, but now that this news is out all GAF is all "WaitNSee." :lol :lol

:lol :lol WaitNSee Defense Force is out I see.
WaitNSeeBot I am. :lol

Borys said:

I beat you too it. :(

bud

Borys said:

That's only in Ireland, afaik it's 599 in the rest of europe.

uk not included lol 425pounds

Yoboman

Gold Member
Ceb said:
Stringer failed to mention the revised shipment goal of 4.5M though. Could he be mistaken about the EU launch as well? We'll see.
I thought that was an analyst who predicted 4.5 million

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wollan said:
Treespeech is saying that the date for the European launch will be announced next tuesday.

http://threespeech.com/
Additional to that...
The latest of today’s (seemingly very well-founded) rumours is that the official announcement on the launch date of the PS3 in Europe will be made next Tuesday (January 23). And as mentioned before, it’s looking highly likely that the launch date itself will be March 23.

We shall see what happens next tuesday.

Koomaster

Wait, when he says they put out 1Million Blu-Ray discs, is he talking about Taladaga Nights there?

Corporate Head Speak gives me migraines.

Steroyd

It doesn't encourage me at all that the CEO of Sony is out of the loop when it comes to whatever his own company is doing.

Let's hope Howard Stringer doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and he's trying to poorly imitate the A+ grade Sony PR's.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Considering that Stringer sounds like he was drunk while giving this interview (or almost completely clueless), I wouldn't take his answers at a face value.

Let's see:

- He "assumes" there will be more than 20 games for PS3.
- PS3 an "effective" BD player (it's the best BD player you asshat, and every report out there indicated that)
- He "thinks" HDDVD sold 60000 "discs" (WTF, he sounds like he thinks he can say anything he wants, and it's OK as long as he precedes that with "I think" or "I assume")

I really hope Stringer is much better with company politics and directing than he is with his factual knowledge about his company products and his competition.

since i heard the 'second half of march start to advertising' i've been guessing a good friday launch, which would make sense, but we'll see. i don't think two weeks either way is going to have a big impact on anything.

but wow at the hd-dvd vs blu-ray comments. stringer thinks 90% of the people that bought a ps3 have a hdcp compliant hdtv? isn't he wrong that you have to have a hdmi linkup to watch a blu-ray in high def too?

and are people really still saying the ps3 isn't a good blu-ray player (well, apart from 720p tv owners i guess)?

i still can't believe they picked talladega nights, a crappy film with a crap transfer as their pack in. i hope europe gets something that is A: much more enjoyable to watch and B: does the format justice.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tanzen said:
It's fun to see how any CEO, Country Chief, people at Sony speak about PS3 in a different way and with different informations, they are living in anarchy...

It's better for Sony to sit around a table and decide to show the same things to the media and people, they are losing a lot of credibility...

I agree. Sony was falling apart before Stringer sat on the throne. Now it's even worse than before. The Motorstom 1080p/60fps bullshit and the Emmy Award gaffe are just the lastest examples of a company which seems like it doesnt really care about the Playstation as much as it did in the past. Very superficial I might say.

Besides, doesn't Stringer resamble Benny Hill to you? They look like brothers to me.
4115.jpg

edit: well said Marconelly. My thoughts exactly

Kolgar

Console generational switches must be hard, because Sony reminds me more and more of Nintendo in the mid-nineties.

At least the delay is only one month.

But what's the official statement? Is there one?

Goldrusher

Borys said:
Price went up too.

Comparison of worldwide prices, in USD, including taxes.

727.62 / 909.53 -> Mexico
710.00 / 838.96 -> Finland & Ireland
000.00 / 828.58 -> UK *
647.86 / 780.56 -> Australia
644.00 / 773.13 -> EU (- Finland & Ireland) + Switzerland
539.99 / 647.99 -> USA (8%)
537.54 / 645.25 -> Canada (15%)
534.99 / 641.99 -> USA (7%)
529.99 / 635.99 -> USA (6%)
524.99 / 629.99 -> USA (5%)
519.99 / 598.95 -> USA (4%)
514.99 / 617.99 -> USA (3%)
514.17 / 617.20 -> Canada (10%)
509.99 / 611.99 -> USA (2%)
504.99 / 605.99 -> USA (1%)
504.82 / 605.98 -> Canada (8%)
500.15 / 600.37 -> Canada (7%)
499.99 / 599.99 -> USA (0%)
480.59 / 576.83 -> Taiwan
435.58 / 522.73 -> Japan
407.76 / 484.69 -> Hong Kong

* no 20GB price known

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Haunted_One said:
harsh, but true. Sony tries to compete in only two of the three major markets in earnest it seems. :(
The craziest thing is that you are completely wrong. When it comes to actual *competing*, their European division easily trumps the other two in the quality of their advertising, work and effort put in.

isn't he wrong that you have to have a hdmi linkup to watch a blu-ray in high def too?
Of course he is.

The delay is only one month but you know what this tells me? Sony care more about Hollywood and BluRay than gamers in Europe. Good business sense for them, a bit shit for me.

Steroyd

- He "thinks" HDDVD sold 60000 "discs" (WTF, he sounds like he thinks he can say anything he wants, and it's OK as long as he precedes that with "I think" or "I assume")

Yeah that alone means he doesn't know what he's talking about, on NPD the HD-DVD addon for the Xbox 360 sold 92K in that month, now i don't know about you but if i was paying $200 add-on to play movies i'd definitely look to buy some movies.

Marconelly said:
The craziest thing is that you are completely wrong. When it comes to actual *competing*, their European division easily trumps the other two in the quality of their advertising, work and effort put in.

Sony Europe advertising has always been more about lifestyle than information though.

Just tell us the price + date already, we`ve been waiting for long enough

glaurung

This is insane.

I can seriously feel that by the time PS3 finally arrives in ze United States of Europish, nobody will care. Of course people are going to buy it and then be happy, but the launch is still going to be lackluster.

*Extends the post-it labeled "PS3 funds accumulation" another inch towards April.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
I agree. Sony was falling apart before Stringer sat on the throne. Now it's even worse than before. The Motorstom 1080p/60fps bullshit and the Emmy Award gaffe are just the lastest examples of a company which seems like it doesnt really care about the Playstation as much as it did in the past. Very superficial I might say.
The rest of Sony never really cared all that much about Playstation. Even in days of PS1 and PS2, whenever the subject was brought up that games division makes money, they would always try to spin it in some way as to suggest that part of business was less significant than the reporter suggested.

Doctor_No

The previous speculated date, March 23rd is only a week from "April", at worst its a month from a date that was never announced. Other then that nothing is really confirmed. Let's wait a week and see.

soepkip

Goldrusher said:
Worldwide prices, tax not included, in USD (with today's exchange rates):

618.48 / 773.09 -> Mexico
595.19 / 714.37 -> Switzerland
583.07 / 702.50 -> Australia
000.00 / 683.57 -> UK *
553.71 / 654.39 -> Finland
547.49 / 657.16 -> Luxembourg
541.04 / 649.43 -> Spain
539.40 / 641.36 -> Ireland
521.72 / 626.24 -> Germany, Netherlands
517.86 / 621.60 -> France
515.28 / 618.50 -> Italy
508.84 / 610.77 -> Belgium, Portugal
499.99 / 599.99 -> USA
483.08 / 579.86 -> Denmark, Sweden
467.43 / 561.09 -> Canada
457.70 / 549.36 -> Taiwan
414.84 / 497.84 -> Japan

* no 20GB price known

European prices do include tax...

I am starting to think that the European launch isn't going to happen until Christmas 2007. I just don't understand why! Apparantly they are shipping tons of consoles to the US and Japan, why can't they just limit the supply a bit, and send them to Europe. Sheesh, I feel bad for you Europeans, always getting the shaft.

Goldrusher

Pug said:
Goldrush, the PS3 in the UK has been priced at 425 pound that equates to around $810!

FFS, read what I said !

tax not included

I deducted the tax percentage off the European prices.

gth

Neo Member
TTP said:
I agree. Sony was falling apart before Stringer sat on the throne. Now it's even worse than before.

Are you serious?? Stringer brought Sony back on track.
Of course he had to do some serious stuff like cutting about 10'000 jobs, killing AIBO etc. He also did some nice things which is stop paying retired ex-managers (they were on the payroll for being "Advisors"), he sold some Sony Jets and reduced Sonys investment in some strange areas (not sure what it was, food or something). He also made Sony the #1 in the US LCD market (they have more than 30% market share with Sony BRAVIA). Of course, it was a tough year for Sony (rootkits, batterys etc) but to say Stringer does a bad job.....no, in my opinion he did a pretty good job.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
Goldrusher said:
Worldwide prices, tax not included, in USD (with today's exchange rates):

618.48 / 773.09 -> Mexico
595.19 / 714.37 -> Switzerland
583.07 / 702.50 -> Australia
000.00 / 683.57 -> UK *
553.71 / 654.39 -> Finland
547.49 / 657.16 -> Luxembourg
541.04 / 649.43 -> Spain
539.40 / 641.36 -> Ireland
521.72 / 626.24 -> Germany, Netherlands
517.86 / 621.60 -> France
515.28 / 618.50 -> Italy
508.84 / 610.77 -> Belgium, Portugal
499.99 / 599.99 -> USA
483.08 / 579.86 -> Denmark, Sweden
467.43 / 561.09 -> Canada
457.70 / 549.36 -> Taiwan
414.84 / 497.84 -> Japan

* no 20GB price known

great Idea

I have paid my Ps3 USA 20gb less than yuo and less of a 360 premium:

386$

gogogow

Sony confirmed the prices for Europe.

In Europe the price will be 499/599 euros, except Ireland which will only get the 60GB version for 629,99 euros.

Top Bottom