• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 2, the next industry standard

gafneo

Banned
This post is about convention and how industry borrows formulas in a time where trends are reintroduced & relevant again.

Analyse why Nintendo would reintroduce Metroid 2 into a modern time and see if it would hold up. Now in these days hunting in video games is popular. Where Samous is a bounty hunter, I see her presence making sense again in 2017 and beyond. Prime 4 will most likely borrow a hunting mechanic being that they used an old game in the series to test the water on this style of play. If you are not familiar with that style, the objective in M2 is to hunt down a set number of Metroids that transform into stages during trimestorial mutations.

In the past, the trend was adding RPG lite elements into action games after Zelda 2 became the blueprint. We are seeing that expand into stronger RPG formulas as the player base learns the basics and then demands a Dark Souls style of play.

Now in 2017, hunting is the new thing with games like Monster Hunter, Player's Unknown, Evolve, Ark, Farcry... BOTW.

My prediction is that Metroid Prime 4 will play on the bounty hunter role of Samus far more than in previous Prime titles. You are getting a taste of hunting Metriod in 2. We are going to see ways to trap or kill Metroids in many phases like in Monster Hunter. This concept came to me when seeing amiibo costumes for Nintendo games appearing in third party IPs. Nintendo is looking for the next big thing and they are not trying to be strictly traditional to please only diehard fans.

DNAbro

This post is about convention and how industry borrows formulas in a time where trends are reintroduced & relevant again.

Analyse why Nintendo would reintroduce Metroid 2 into a modern time and see if it would hold up. Now in these days hunting in video games is popular. Where Samous is a bounty hunter, I see her presence making sense again in 2017 and beyond. Prime 4 will most likely borrow a hunting mechanic being that they used an old game in the series to test the water on this style of play. If you are not familiar with that style, the objective in M2 is to hunt down a set number of Metroids that transform into stages during trimestorial mutations.

In the past, the trend was adding RPG lite elements into action games after Zelda 2 became the blueprint. We are seeing that expand into stronger RPG formulas as the player base learns the basics and then demands a Dark Souls style of play.

Now in 2017, hunting is the new thing with games like Monster Hunter, Player's Unknown, Evolve, Ark, Farcry... BOTW.

My prediction is that Metroid Prime 4 will play on the bounty hunter role of Samus far more than in previous Prime titles. You are getting a taste of hunting Metriod in 2. We are going to see ways to trap or kill Metroids in many phases like in Monster Hunter. This concept came to me when seeing amiibo costumes for Nintendo games appearing in third party IPs. Nintendo is looking for the next big thing and they are not trying to be strictly traditional to please only diehard fans.

These are all extremely different games in terms of playstyles and mechanics. I don't see how "finding something and killing it" is a new industry standard.

gafneo

Banned
These are all extremely different games in terms of playstyles and mechanics. I don't see how "finding something and killing it" is a new industry standard.
You're the average consumer. It isn't your job to look for these things.

There are some large leaps of logic here. I don't get the connections.

Next metroid is probably going to be a standard shooter. I wouldn't mind them doing something different though.

PrimeBeef

I would love an actual bounty system to play off the fact Samus is a "bounty hunter". Tracking down bounties, bribing/threatening NPCs for info, and hopping star systems while enjoying the story and explorarion that is the Prime series would be a dream Metroid game for me.

cucuchu

I only played the original metroids (1, 2 on Game boy, and Super Metroid on SNES), but isn't the Metroid Prime series a sort of survival horror? That seems to be the impression I got from watching people play them. If that is the case, I would be reluctant to put too much emphasis on hunting and capturing the Metroid because once you can contain them and/or hunt them down like some animal, it takes away from them being feared.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You're the average consumer. It isn't your job to look for these things.

giphywxuf8.gif

teiresias

The OP is basically, "This Nintendo game does everything these other games have been doing for years. Nintendo has created a new industry standard." With no basis for either statement.

Wut?

Why just make another Metroid? Why now? Why after a long break. To rethink of the same thing?

Because people asked them to
Because they have a ton of franchises, so the ones that are less profitable come around less often. There was no proper metroids on the n64 or ds either.

mindsale

Wait so Zelda 2 is responsible for the ubiquity of RPG upgrade elements in games, not COD4's multiplayer?

And now everything will have bounties because of Metroid 2's Remake?

I was in a thread not long ago that accused Ubisoft of lifting from Breath of the Wild because of its Tower-based sandbox approach to games.

This reminds me of that.

gafneo

Banned
Money?
Money?
Money?
I'm going with money.
No, if it was to make a quick buck it would be a game like 2D Mario that sells truck loads by brand. Metroid isn't that kind of brand. They didn't go through countless meetings to say" So guys, what do we do with the next entry?(Long pause)
Traditional? OK meeting over.

Fancolors

Well, I certainly would enjoy having prep time to take down evolved metroids with traps.

Still, it feels like you're connecting dots out of thin air.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

That's exactly what an average consumer would say, OP is spot on.

lmao

Why's everyone dunking on the OP? It's a prediction based on past games, and even though I consider the "hunting" aspect of Metroid 2 to merely be thematic (Metroids don't flee or hide or ambush the player, and there's no tracking demanded on the player's part), Samus has been hailed as a bounty hunter for ages (though that may have just been a translation discrepancy).

Having to scan for, track, set traps for and hunt other dangerous creatures/enemies sounds like a perfect fit for Metroid based on its themes and past game concepts, and considering how some popular games have had focus on emergent gameplay and interplay of various game systems (BotW, MoHun, Hitman, Prey, etc.), it's reasonable to predict some of that to end up in the next Metroid.

I don't necessarily agree that hunting is the thing, but considering Metroid Prime 4 is so early in development that, suggesting that as a possibility is fair game. Doesn't really warrant the dismissiveness in this thread.

unless OP is a joke poster, in which case I still say let's geek out about how dope actually being a hunter in a Metroid game would be

Top Bottom