• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 2, the next industry standard

StarPhlox

Nintendo laid the foundation with Metroid Prime Hunters and now they're finally creating a new way to hunt in games and establish a new paradigm in mechanics. Why make a new Metroid now that's also an old Metroid? For the average consumer.

gafneo

Banned
I really don't understand the logic of this post, and the bolded part especially.
I'm suggesting that these aspects would make sense in a today's Metroid and would recommend it. Going by what's hot right now, and seeing Nintendo launch Metroid 2, I could see them remixing themes into modern conventions to make something of their own.

I think you're connecting dots that are in your imagination OP.

l3kYm.jpg

Haganeren

In the past, the trend was adding RPG lite elements into action games after Zelda 2 became the blueprint. We are seeing that expand into stronger RPG formulas as the player base learns the basics and then demands a Dark Souls style of play.

What ? No no... Zelda 2 isn't the blueprint of anything, have you heard of stuff like Romancia ? Do you know the history of J RPG on computer ? It's far more complicated than that.
And the way you say it, it's like we needed Zelda 2 to appreciate Dark Souls... Wtf... And i'm quite sure Demon's Soul took a lot more from Amored Core anyway.

Now in 2017, hunting is the new thing with games like Monster Hunter, Player's Unknown, Evolve, Ark, Farcry... BOTW.

Well... I suppose there is some but... Even in BOTW i don't remember hunting that much to be honest. Hunting was always there anyway... (Why not talking about MGS 3 ? Or Ape Escape ? Is that too old for you ?)

My prediction is that Metroid Prime 4 will play on the bounty hunter role of Samus far more than in previous Prime titles. You are getting a taste of hunting Metriod in 2. We are going to see ways to trap or kill Metroids in many phases like in Monster Hunter. This concept came to me when seeing amiibo costumes for Nintendo games appearing in third party IPs. Nintendo is looking for the next big thing and they are not trying to be strictly traditional to please only diehard fans.

I don't think so, no... Do you know why ?
Because Metroid 2 is about finding Metroid and killing it in a very old school way, there is nothing new to this mechanic even if a game entirely dedicated to that is indeed quite original.

But since Metroid Prime 4 have nothing to do with the other team, i don't think it has anything to do with it.... Also, diehard fans would love hunting, i don't know what you are talking about.

... And I mean, if you want to see recent trend, Pirate seems to be more recent than "hunting" for exemple... Or Co-Op... Or Multiplayer (and Nintendo are on those trend)
Hinting is quite old in comparaison.

TL;DR : You need to stop looking to detail and see the big picture, you will see that your assumption is quite wicked from the start.

Rmagnus

Banned
Metriod threads seems almost as scary as smash threads.. is it something about Nintendo that brings out such... Strangeness?

Tookay

The "hunting" premise of the game is just that: a premise. Objectively, you're doing pretty much the same thing you do in all the 2D Metroids: navigate a labyrinth space using different acquired abilities to fight bosses in predetermined locations. You are not setting traps, stalking prey, or using materials acquired from the hunt to craft items - which is the basis for most other games that use hunting mechanics.

Pretty sure that Nintendo/Sakamoto just wanted to remake Metroid II for a new generation and because it was next on their list after Metroid I/Zero Mission. There isn't some larger plan than that.

takriel

OP should get a tag reminding people that the thread they're about to read might not exactly be what they expected...

Top Bottom