• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 2, the next industry standard

gafneo

Banned
Why's everyone dunking on the OP? It's a prediction based on past games, and even though I consider the "hunting" aspect of Metroid 2 to merely be thematic (Metroids don't flee or hide or ambush the player, and there's no tracking demanded on the player's part), Samus has been hailed as a bounty hunter for ages (though that may have just been a translation discrepancy).

Having to scan for, track, set traps for and hunt other dangerous creatures/enemies sounds like a perfect fit for Metroid based on its themes and past game concepts, and considering how some popular games have had focus on emergent gameplay and interplay of various game systems (BotW, MoHun, Hitman, Prey, etc.), it's reasonable to predict some of that to end up in the next Metroid.

I don't necessarily agree that hunting is the thing, but considering Metroid Prime 4 is so early in development that, suggesting that as a possibility is fair game. Doesn't really warrant the dismissiveness in this thread.

unless OP is a joke poster, in which case I still say let's geek out about how dope actually being a hunter in a Metroid game would be
Thanks for your understanding. And no It is not a joke post.

low-G

Please leave the thinking to OP.

Hey OP do you remember year of the bow?

What do you do with bow & arrows? Hunt.

Just lending more credence to your insights,

Nachos

Wow, that was not criticism. Sorry things are taken that way.
Let me rephrase what you wrote so that it's more obvious how you came across:
"You're the average consumer. It isn't your job to look for these things."
->
"Then you must be nothing but an average consumer. It's a good thing it isn't your job to look for these things."

At the first sign of disagreement, you don't even respond to the point raised; you basically just say, "Oh, you're just an average consumer; I wouldn't expect you to understand." The terseness to your response reads as condenscending, though it's clear now that's not what you intended.

Don't take it personally guys, OP acts like he is smarter than everyone else. That's why he responds the way he does, don't question OP.

Glowsquid

you, the average consumer: These are all extremely different games in terms of playstyles and mechanics. I don't see how "finding something and killing it" is a new industry standard.

me, an intellectual:

C73Iwh9WkAA4EuB.jpg:large

gafneo

Banned
Let me rephrase what you wrote so that it's more obvious how you came across:
"You're the average consumer. It isn't your job to look for these things."
->
"Then you must be nothing but an average consumer. It's a good thing it isn't your job to look for these things."

At the first sign of disagreement, you don't even respond to the point raised; you basically just say, "Oh, you're just an average consumer; I wouldn't expect you to understand." The terseness to your response reads as condenscending, though it's clear now that's not what you intended.
If it is not their job to come up with concepts, then they are a consumer who plays the game for just the fun. I'm not trying to label people, I'm just trying to come at this from their perspective. Is it from consumer perspective if they don't look at things from marketing? OK, I see. You don't want to be labeled. We can all assume from the broader sense that we are gamers so let's look at it from that pov.

If it is not their job to come up with concepts, then they are a consumer who plays the game for just the fun. I'm not trying to label people, I'm just trying to come at this from their perspective. Is it from consumer perspective if they don't look at things from marketing? OK, I see. You don't want to be labeled. We can all assume from the broader sense that we are gamers so let's look at it from that pov.

Is... is English not your first language?

OK, that is just racist

Given this clearly demonstrates you don't understand what "racist" means, am I supposed to take that as a yes?

I want to know why you're struggling to communicate whatever point you're trying to make in English. Several of the first replies are people confused at what you're trying to suggest, and then your first reply is absolute incomprehensible nonsense.

FinalAres

Given this clearly demonstrates you don't understand what "racist" means, am I supposed to take that as a yes?

I want to know why you're struggling to communicate whatever point you're trying to make in English. Several of the first replies are people confused at what you're trying to suggest, and then your first reply is absolute incomprehensible nonsense.

You did come across as racist. Instead of saying "I'm sorry I'm struggling to understand, if you could try and explain what you're trying to say" you put him down for not being able to communicate properly In English, as if that was a bad thing.

I assume this is a lost in translation, text-speak issue and you were not at all putting him down, but racist is how you came across from my point of view too. So that's two people at least.

RPGam3r

You did come across as racist. Instead of saying "I'm sorry I'm struggling to understand, if you could try and explain what you're trying to say" you put him down for not being able to communicate properly In English, as if that was a bad thing.

I assume this is a lost in translation, text-speak issue and you were not at all putting him down, but racist is how you came across from my point of view too. So that's two people at least.

What race exactly is in question here? Not being able to speak English well could be an attribute aligned with any race depending on where you are from.

Calling someone a racist is a very strong word, maybe you're both looking for insensitive?

WarRock

OK, that is just racist

This thread is going places.

My prediction is that Metroid Prime 4 will play on the bounty hunter role of Samus far more than in previous Prime titles. You are getting a taste of hunting Metriod in 2. We are going to see ways to trap or kill Metroids in many phases like in Monster Hunter.
For information, we have 35 minutes of direct gameplay feed from the Treehouse of the game.

Metroid: Samus Returns - Game Reveal - Nintendo E3 2017
Metroid fights spoilers timestamps: Alpha Metroid [20:22], Gamma Metroid [32:19], Zeta Metroid [38:35]
Metroid are treated like mini-bosses.

So it is not necessary to speculate on the gameplay.
EDIT: Unless I misunderstood and you meant that Prime 4 would have those traps.

I guess if you think speaking French/German/Spanish/... or some other language as a first language is a bad thing? Like, I don't think not having English as your first language is a negative at all, so I didn't really mean anything negative by it.

Maybe I am being a dickbag though, enough interneting for me I guess.

My prediction is that Metroid Prime 4 will play on the bounty hunter role of Samus far more than in previous Prime titles.

Except that was quite literally what Retro intended Prime 3 to be about... Taking bounties. And then Nintendo told them that Samus really isn't a bounty hunter, and so we got a game structured similar to Prime 2.

Doorman

This line of thinking contains such a crazy amount of reach that I feel like I'm still playing ARMS.

So trying to boil this down, your assertion is that Nintendo decided to make a 3DS remake of Metroid 2 and within it, introduce "hunting" elements to the newer generation of players as a means of testing the waters for when Metroid Prime 4 fully takes and runs with the concept. And your evidence to support this claim is...listing a bunch of other games from third party publishers despite Nintendo being one of the companies that regularly avoids simply falling in line with greater industry trends, and speaking nothing to any of Samus Returns' actual play mechanics. I'll focus on M:SR for now since outside of its existence, we literally know not a single goddamn thing about Prime 4, so talking about its hunting mechanics is a complete out-of-nowhere wild guess that I'd expect out of an average consumer rather than an analyst.

Samus Returns, meanwhile...doesn't actually contain (that we know of, at least) any of the "hunting" mechanics that you're even referring to either. The theme of the game is hunting down and exterminating metroids, but if this is the tact you're going to take then hunting needs to be about more than simply the game's plot, it has to fit in mechanically as well. Metroid 2 though, keeps more in line with other 2-D Metroids: traverse a big labyrinthine landscape, obtain new abilities to aid in traversal and combat, fight bosses, reach the end of the game. There's no preparation, no trap-setting, and little if any tracking since most of the metroids are found just in the course of normally exploring the map. Nothing that they showed during the Treehouse demonstrations really speaks to any of what you're saying.

As for why Metroid, why now? The developer diary makes it sound like Sakamoto's been seeking to remake Metroid 2 for a while now, and the partnership with Mercury Steam simply made it possible at this time. Additionally it makes sense for them to want to revisit one of the classic properties and storylines after Other M and Federation Force both missed the mark with the fanbase so badly. A remake of one of the original titles lets people get back in on an earlier level, and eases some pressure off of them trying to find some way to fix their slightly-hackened storyline. I seriously doubt that Nintendo was looking at the likes of Monster Hunter and Farcry, and their answer to that was "Metroid 2!" The elements from those games, if you wanted to use them at all, would be more applicable to something like Breath of the Wild, not Metroid.

gafneo

Banned
Except that was quite literally what Retro intended Prime 3 to be about... Taking bounties. And then Nintendo told them that Samus really isn't a bounty hunter, and so we got a game structured similar to Prime 2.
Whatever happened in early 2000s was the hip way to game design.

SalvaPot

I liked the trailer and will buy it for sure, but I don't see a focus in bounty hunting in the metroid games, they are usually more an isolated experience where you are investigating a mysterious place and you happen to be attacked by lots of creepy stuff.

Nategc20

Banned
Wait so Zelda 2 is responsible for the ubiquity of RPG upgrade elements in games, not COD4's multiplayer?

And now everything will have bounties because of Metroid 2's Remake?

I was in a thread not long ago that accused Ubisoft of lifting from Breath of the Wild because of its Tower-based sandbox approach to games.

This reminds me of that.
No, cod4 multiplayer was not responsible for rpg upgrade elements in games.

What the fuck am I reading in the thread? Literay started in the OP and never stopped.

gafneo

Banned
My point was, how can the game be about bounty hunting when nintendo has said Samus really isn't a bounty hunter?
That was what Nintendo said, a spokesman, or series creator? Did Samus not hunt in Prime world since it doesn't tie to the 2D games in terms of story?

FinalAres

I guess if you think speaking French/German/Spanish/... or some other language as a first language is a bad thing? Like, I don't think not having English as your first language is a negative at all, so I didn't really mean anything negative by it.

Maybe I am being a dickbag though, enough interneting for me I guess.
I should explain myself too. I didn't really think you were being racist, but it did seem a bit off. I only mentioned it because you seemed to be so dismissive of the idea that what you said could have been offensive. It's all fine though, I don't think you meant anything by it.

That was what Nintendo said, a spokesman, or series creator? Did Samus not hunt in Prime world since it doesn't tie to the 2D games in terms of story?

Yes, Nintendo did say that, I believe it was Tanabe. Anyways, I'm talking about taking actual bounties, as you referred to in the OP. Samus is a hunter, for sure.

Doorman

...Game-design wise, no, she doesn't "hunt." Not at all in the way you're describing. Even in terms of storyline, not really, since it's usually less about hunting bounties and more about just doing stuff that the Galactic Federation tells her to, or simply answering distress calls.

wildfire

Banned
It's a plausible theory. I'm not against Nintendo trying this method but if they do this it would suggest the next Metroid should be multiplayer.

Eerily that would fit with the theme of the Switch being a device that emphasizes multiplaying anywhere.

JTCx

you, the average consumer: These are all extremely different games in terms of playstyles and mechanics. I don't see how "finding something and killing it" is a new industry standard.

me, an intellectual:

C73Iwh9WkAA4EuB.jpg:large

my average brain can't comprehend this.

someone call Ja Rule!

Marcel

Analyse why Tommo would reintroduce Bubsy into a modern time and see if it would hold up. Now in these days shooting in video games is popular. Where Bubsy is a purr-fect protagonist, I see his presence making sense again in 2017 and beyond. Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back will most likely borrow a shooting meowchanic being that they used an old game in the series to test the water on this style of play. If you are not familiar with that style, the objective in Bubsy 2 is to hunt down a set number of time portals that transform into stages in trimestorial museum.

In the past, the trend was adding cat puns and Nerf gun shooting elements into action games after Bubsy 2 became the blueprint. We are seeing that expand into stronger action formulas as the player base learns the basics and then demands a Bubsy 3D style of play.

Now in 2017, cheap nostalgia is the new thing with games like Yooka Laylee, and Mighty No. 9.

My prediction is that Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back will play on the 'tude role of Bubsy far more than in previous Bubsy titles. You are getting a taste of hunting Wooleis in Bubsy 5. We are going to see ways to trap or kill Woolies in many phases like in Monster Hunter. This concept came to me when seeing amiibo costumes for Bubsy games appearing in third party IPs. Tommo is looking for the next big thing and they are not trying to be strictly traditional to please only diehard fans of Bubsy.

cireza

If Nintendo were to make a Metroid game about hunting monsters for bounties, they would not make it a sequel to a series that never was about hunting monsters for bounties, and would rather begin a new series with a new name. Not Metroid Prime.

And I am saying this while perfectly knowing that I am an elite consumer. The best of the best ! B)

gafneo

Banned
...Game-design wise, no, she doesn't "hunt." Not at all in the way you're describing. Even in terms of storyline, not really, since it's usually less about hunting bounties and more about just doing stuff that the Galactic Federation tells her to, or simply answering distress calls.
She hunts for Metroids I do know that. Bounty hunting is still questionable. What is Prime Hunters about? Being hunter or the prey?

gafneo

Banned
Analyse why Tommo would reintroduce Bubsy into a modern time and see if it would hold up. Now in these days shooting in video games is popular. Where Bubsy is a purr-fect protagonist, I see his presence making sense again in 2017 and beyond. Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back will most likely borrow a shooting meowchanic being that they used an old game in the series to test the water on this style of play. If you are not familiar with that style, the objective in Bubsy 2 is to hunt down a set number of time portals that transform into stages in trimestorial museum.

In the past, the trend was adding cat puns and Nerf gun shooting elements into action games after Bubsy 2 became the blueprint. We are seeing that expand into stronger action formulas as the player base learns the basics and then demands a Bubsy 3D style of play.

Now in 2017, cheap nostalgia is the new thing with games like Yooka Laylee, and Mighty No. 9.

My prediction is that Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back will play on the 'tude role of Bubsy far more than in previous Bubsy titles. You are getting a taste of hunting Wooleis in Bubsy 5. We are going to see ways to trap or kill Woolies in many phases like in Monster Hunter. This concept came to me when seeing amiibo costumes for Bubsy games appearing in third party IPs. Tommo is looking for the next big thing and they are not trying to be strictly traditional to please only diehard fans of Bubsy.
Because Accolade tested waters with Bubsy Steam after seeing what Sonic and Mario experimented with. Platformers are making a comeback. Game is cult so there was a demand that they can reach.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
OP would you consider joining the MGS/Death Stranding community? We need more folks with an open mind like you in there.

This post is about convention and how industry borrows formulas in a time where trends are reintroduced & relevant again.

Analyse why Nintendo would reintroduce Metroid 2 into a modern time and see if it would hold up. Now in these days hunting in video games is popular. Where Samous is a bounty hunter, I see her presence making sense again in 2017 and beyond. Prime 4 will most likely borrow a hunting mechanic being that they used an old game in the series to test the water on this style of play. If you are not familiar with that style, the objective in M2 is to hunt down a set number of Metroids that transform into stages during trimestorial mutations.

In the past, the trend was adding RPG lite elements into action games after Zelda 2 became the blueprint. We are seeing that expand into stronger RPG formulas as the player base learns the basics and then demands a Dark Souls style of play.

Now in 2017, hunting is the new thing with games like Monster Hunter, Player's Unknown, Evolve, Ark, Farcry... BOTW.

My prediction is that Metroid Prime 4 will play on the bounty hunter role of Samus far more than in previous Prime titles. You are getting a taste of hunting Metriod in 2. We are going to see ways to trap or kill Metroids in many phases like in Monster Hunter. This concept came to me when seeing amiibo costumes for Nintendo games appearing in third party IPs. Nintendo is looking for the next big thing and they are not trying to be strictly traditional to please only diehard fans.

I really don't understand the logic of this post, and the bolded part especially.

Top Bottom