• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Opinion] Amiibo is the worst DLC in the hands of Nintendo

Nictel

The new Zelda amiibo are expected to launch tomorrow but all the preorders are already sold out. Furthermore loads of the old amiibo are only possible to get at exorbitant prices on ebay.

Now if it were basic merchandise this would be just a shame. But since the Amiibo's contain DLC it is now impossible to get certain content legally.

I already feel I need to hoard the Mario amiibo because they might have functionality in Odyssey. Getting the new Mario amiibo's seems like a dream.

I really wish Nintendo would change the current situation. Preferably by re-releasing and producing more amiibo. Another option would be to have the unique items for sale, you'll miss the daily bonus but the unique content would not be dependent on your ability to be on a webshop within 5 minutes of a release.

The only option I have now is to create my own NFC tags for the missing Amiibo. From Nintendo's viewpoint that can't be the preferred way.

Having nice looking statues for your DLC is great but this way it just creates loads of frustration.

They're not DLC though... You buy the figures because you want the figures... Then you get a fun in-game bonus out of it, to sweeten the pot. None of the Amiibo unlocks in any of these games have been hugely significant content.

Shiggy

They're not DLC though... You buy the figures because you want the figures... Then you get a fun in-game bonus out of it, to sweeten the pot. None of the Amiibo unlocks in any of these games have been hugely significant content.

That's not entirely true. Chibi-Robo has an entire world world locked behind the Amiibo for example.

Raysoul

If you are just getting it for the in game content, you can:

- borrow an Amiibo
- buy and resell Amiibo
- wait until a stock appears

Sucks for collectors though.

PSFan

This. Nothing is being downloaded when an amiibo is used. Everything is already in the game.

If I want to 100% BotW I need to buy 10 $15 figures for example. why not just let me buy the costumes on the eShop as regular microtransactions and be upfront with it? God I hate amiibo.

Again, because the costumes are already in the game. They aren't really downloadable.

The only Amiibos I've bought are because I really like the figures and characters. The in-game bonuses are just that- bonuses. But yeah whenever they are used for more substantial unlocks it gets really frustrating.

They really need to offer the dlc content on the eshop. It's a win win for them.

Absolutely, yeah. I still don't get why they haven't done this.

Z3M0G

It's much better to think about them as $15 figures that come with free / completely worthless digital items.

gweemz

Have a friend who decided to collect them all who is regretting that decision. I buy the ones I like and spoof the rest if it is worth it for in-game stuff.

Justinh

I always thought they were going to on top of amiibo sell nfc enabled cards that do exactly what the amiibo do just not tied to a limited item that you'd have to pay a premium to get from resellers. I guess that never happened? (I don't really know, so apologies if that's wrong)

I know they sold like amiibo festival or that animal crossing decorating game cards, but I think it would be nice if they offered an easier, cheaper way people could get that content if they didn't also want the damn toy. The only amiibo I have is the one that came with Twilight Princess and it's in a box somewhere. I noped myself out of buying any amiibo on their own back in the beginning when it was apparent even back then that it was going to be hard to get them all if I got into collecting them.

Offering that stuff on the eshop seems like the easiest way to allow people to get everything without having to collect toys, I agree.

Kouriozan

Kinda agree, it's awful for me who just want to collect them because they look nice but are always sold out, really don't care about what they do in games.

If I want to 100% BotW I need to buy 10 $15 figures for example. why not just let me buy the costumes on the eShop as regular microtransactions and be upfront with it? God I hate amiibo.

Except you aren't meant to consider the amiibo only stuff as part of 100%ing the game. Just like nobody should consider dlc necessary to 100% a game

13ruce

Banned
I normally am not a collector but since i started getting Zelda ones i only buy the ones that look nice or awesome.

I'm planning on getting the samus returns ones and the Mario Odyssey (and smash luigi) ones and maybe the champions but after that i quit.

Unless there will be a nice looking Pikachu amiibo but it don't want 20 Links, Mario's or same characters lol.

I already have 7 Links counting 2 new ones i will get tommorow (don't like the look of the skyward one imo).

tkscz

The idea of buying one DLC that gives you DLC for multiple games sounds good, if the ones you want weren't so short in supply.

My suggestion would be to see if you can get 900 korok seeds first then decide whether getting the 100% is worth it. *eyeroll*

EDarkness

Why? I was under the impression that the game could be 100% beaten without Amiibo.

While I was in Japan, I swear absolutely NO ONE bought any Amiibos and they had stores with shelves fully stocked. So I wasn't so worried about getting my 8-bit Link when I came back.

It's been 2 months since I've been back to the states and I can't even find a single Link Amiibo anywhere... :(

Rncewind

I agree. At least they could let us buy the amiibo digitally. I know Starlink lets you do that, it would be great if you could buy each amiibo digitally for $5 let's say.

yeah seriously there is no downside for this

especially stuff like wolf link goes above "just a bonus" imo. Whats the harm in that i can this digitally ?

if they contuinie with this im just gonna opt to make my own amiibo nfc tags

lyrick

If you're looking for specific ones for in game content buy them from amazon.jp.

They typically have a lot more availability than western retailers.

You know, this would bother me but the amiibo costumes are garbage anyway since they have stupid upgrade requirements like eleventy bajillion Star Fragments

SummitAve

Banned
They purposefully make the DLC insignificant so you aren't actually missing anything if you don't have them or don't want them. You don't need literally every piece of possible content.

nickerous

I know it doesn't help, but I saw a guardian amiibo yesterday at gamestop for the first time ever. They must have just put them out. Two Link rider, two Link archer and the one guardian.

PMS341

Finding certain amiibo is near impossible without paying scalper prices, and NoA doesn't seem to mind.

Preorders sell out in minutes (or don't appear at all), and you have scalpers getting up at 6AM and buying the stock out of presumably "rare" amiibo, ensuring their eBay wallets are happy, at least.

I don't want to pay $40+ for a Guardian, or BotW Zelda, and I definitely don't want to do the same for Majora's Mask Link tomorrow. But it feels inevitable, and frankly, I just don't have that kind of money.

inner-G

Banned
I think the eBay cards, though illegitimate, are superior in almost every way.

Price, availability, and not everyone wants a bunch of figurines to store or *gasp* display in their living room, which may not quite have matching decor

This. Nothing is being downloaded when an amiibo is used. Everything is already in the game.

Again, because the costumes are already in the game. They aren't really downloadable.

On disc DLC is a thing. While the "download" part is absent, it's similar. Worse even, as you're being locked out of content already fully present.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
We've been through this song and dance for almost three years now.

If there's an amiibo you want and can't get, wait. It'll likely be reprinted once demand has cooled off and you'll be able to get it easily.

Look at Pit, Ness and Lucina amiibo, amongst others. Once highly sought-after amiibo that commanded high prices and can now be found in the dozens in any average Best Buy location.

In addition, look into importing. You may pay a few extra dollars because it's coming from overseas, but outside of the packaging the figure itself is identical and region-free.

You said 100% like there's a checklist or gap in the listing only filled by amiibo purchase. BotW can be completed 100% without a single amiibo scan. You're creating your own problem here.

Jeff-DSA

Most of the content is pretty weak. I rarely bother to do the Amiibo stuff, but my kids absolutely love the figures, so I pick up any that interest me. I look at them more as a little collectible that happens to do some things with games, but it's never a big deal.

watershed

Banned
The scarcity sucks but I'm happy the content is totally nonessential and pretty useless to me. I don't feel I'm missing out by not buying them.

Quonny

As the OP said, if you're only consideration is the in-game content, it is ridiculously easy to make your own amiibos on the cheap. NFC tags can be had for about a dollar each on Amazon, and as long as you have a smartphone from the last 5 or so years, you're golden.

You're advocating piracy, you do realize that, right?

The Dink

Oh please. None of the costumes/equipment from the amiibos are necessary to 100% the game. They're just fun extras for people with the figures. Figures you could borrow from a friend anyway if price is an issue (or download the NFC to scan) so hey, $0 right there. I love the amiibos, they allow gamers to collect fun little figures that have in-game uses across a myriad of titles. I'll take that over DLC anytime.

hiryu64

I've long had this issue with amiibo -- it's physical DLC. Plain and simple.

You're tying in-game content, regardless of complexity or importance, to a physical item. Typically, DLC will run anywhere between a dollar to 15, maybe 20 for extremely substantial content (xpacs and other new story content). But these prices rarely change, and when they do, it's typically a drop in price. But Nintendo's tying DLC to physical objects that are constrained by supply and demand, and therefore are subject to upward price momentum. amiibo can be discontinued or underproduced, sending their value skyward, and with no alternative way of offering the in-game content, the DLC becomes increasingly difficult, if not impossible, to obtain.

The obvious solution would be to offer amiibo-locked DLC as a separate download with a lower pricepoint, but that reduces the appeal of amiibos, so I'm not sure Nintendo would do that. TBH, I'm surprised more noise hasn't been made about this. Especially with all the pushback against pre-planned DLC, season passes, full-price games with microtransactions, etc. This just seems to be the worst offender, yet it's received comparatively little attention. The primary rationalization is that "the content isn't important anyway." Sure, that may be true -- albeit subjective -- but what happens once something substantial IS offered behind an amiibo? Even beyond that, though, is the sheer principle of it: DLC should not be constrained by real-world supply.

EDIT: Jim Sterling's videos on the subject are still relevant. One Two

I love everything about amiibo, tbh.

I love the idea, I love the figures, I love that some are hard to get, I love the physical DLC, I love the bonuses.

The only thing I don't love is that there's no dedicated Amiibo action adventure games. I want it so had :eek:

spectator

How about just allowing you to purchase the DLC by itself?

Personally, I don't want to track down, purchase, own and futz with little globs of plastic even if I could reliably find them at retail. Just give me the software add-on for my software, please.

You forget IMO

Forget what? Skins and costumes are not "significant content."

The most significant content I can think of being tied to these is the Splatoon stuff, but even then, you're just replaying campaign levels with other weapon types, nothing incredibly major.

Top Bottom