• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Opinion] Amiibo is the worst DLC in the hands of Nintendo

RootCause

This. Nothing is being downloaded when an amiibo is used. Everything is already in the game.

Again, because the costumes are already in the game. They aren't really downloadable.
Oh my god! Then Just offer an unlock code from the eshop. is that better?

Fandangox

They're not DLC though... You buy the figures because you want the figures... Then you get a fun in-game bonus out of it, to sweeten the pot. None of the Amiibo unlocks in any of these games have been hugely significant content.

Nah look at Codename S.T.E.A.M 4 playable characters which to get you would need 4 Amiibos that end up costing more than the game itself costed, plus the adapter for them to even work.

The amiibos are okay as figurines, but they really should just allow for the content they unlock to also be available separately. I think Mario Maker did this.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Love amiibo. I randomly had a bunch of the zelda/link amiibos and sold them for a few hundred bucks when BOTW launched. Thanks NIntendo!

Zutrax

I have always, and still do only think of them as relatively nice quality $12-$15 figurines for my favorite Nintendo franchises and if they just happen to have any functionality then that's a bonus.

I wish they had better support, but I'm really not too upset about it considering I bought them to pretty up my shelf, not to get stuff in my games.

NoKisum

If I want to 100% BotW I need to buy 10 $15 figures for example. why not just let me buy the costumes on the eShop as regular microtransactions and be upfront with it? God I hate amiibo.

And here I thought people hated microtransactions. Guess we need to yell at Nintendo some more so they can "get with the times".

Chinbo37

Personally I dont care for them and will never buy them. I MIGHT consider some BOTW Amiibo if I could actually find them.

I just hate that its limited. Its freaking on disc DLC. Just give me the option to pay for the stuff and for those who want to collect little plastic trinkets they can do so.

whynotboth.gif ?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I love how thery are handlign the contents, but I'd like them to improve the availability of the actual figures

TheGrue

Just because online preorders are sold out doesn't mean you can't get them in stores. I have every amiibo out there and these days, I don't even bother preordering and am still able to get my hands on them when they release. The days of having to stand in line and such to get them have been gone (though not saying they won't come back). At any rate, I feel like I will be able to get them come Friday.

Berordn

Much easier said than done when content is locked behind the purchases.

There's really not many situations where it's actual content locked behind the amiibos. You've got the unfortunate cases like MP10's amiibo mode, but typically it's just costumes or early bonuses.

In Zelda's case, all the gear you get is either a reskin of, or outclassed by, other gear you can get normally in the game.

NeonBlack

Idk about you guys but I always do everything that's possible in a game to get the best value and time out of it and it didn't hinder my fun with BotW. I'm also ready to do it all over again in Master Mode.

Is it the best value if you have to buy a figure to wear one costume?

Hindl

I don't buy Amiibo unless they're good as just figures, so I skip most of them. I may have to get the wedding Bowser and Mario amiibo though

The Dink

The scarcity sucks but I'm happy the content is totally nonessential and pretty useless to me. I don't feel I'm missing out by not buying them.

Pretty much this. I love the extras many of the amiibos unlock (Ganondorf for Twilight Princess making the game harder is cool, Animal Crossing amiibo usage in the New Leaf update is amazing) but it's not essential so I don't see the big deal. There's certainly the potential for problems down the line (pay-to-win type situations for multiplayer games, full-priced games that require amiibos to complete, etc) but right now, I don't see any issues.

ViolentP

There's really not many situations where it's actual content locked behind the amiibos. You've got the unfortunate cases like MP10's amiibo mode, but typically it's just costumes or early bonuses.

In Zelda's case, all the gear you get is either a reskin of, or outclassed by, other gear you can get normally in the game.

Agreed. And I didn't want to get into the level of value of these items as it's purely subjective. But in the simplest case where someone wanted a particular skin for their own enjoyment, it is in fact locked behind the purchase of the Amiibo.

Op I want with you. I find the practice of Amiibos to be disgusting but Nintedo always gets a pass. Remember when companies had on disc dlc and people flipped their shit, this is basically the same thing but unlocks with a figure I never wanted.

I love how thery are handlign the contents, but I'd like them to improve the availability of the actual figures

That's where I am as well. Did they ever restock the initial wave of BOTW figures (other than maybe Bokoblins?)? I got lucky there, but I did miss out on the Link figures releasing tomorrow.

I also agree that Nintendo is getting an odd pass around here.

Somnid

It took a while for people to conceptualize F2P and Microtransactions and a few inflexible people still can't. Not really surprised it's the same thing here. It's like DLC and it's not. There's no strong reason you need to jam a square peg through a round hole, why not just acknowledge different shapes?

ViolentP

"The only option I have now is to pirate this DLC".

Because if you treat amiibo as DLC, that's what you're saying. You're admitting you're gonna pirate it.

They did not admit to pirating anything. They illustrated it is the only option available, not that it would be taken.

Platy

They are awesome figures that offer cross generational wide small dlcs that most of the time are not omfg AND can be borrowed to a friend.

I was in favor of Nintendo releasing the "dlc" for people who don't have Amiibos on the eShop but then it hit me that people who are complaining now would complain regardless because there is no way they will be happy with the price.

They will say that Link amiibo gives you a spinner in Hyrule Warriors, a mii costume in both MK8 and deluxe, a costume in Mario Maker, epona and a costume in BotW, a demo in that amiibo demo thing, random stuff in some games and ... Etc.

And the amiibo costs 10. So the dlc price will never be too cheap for this people

Personally I've only ever bought them( and I only have a few) because I liked placing them around my wii U(and now Switch) as decorative pieces. Anything they opened up in a game was a bonus.

Though I agree with sentiments that whatever they unlock should also be available on the e-shop; not everyone wants these pieces of plastic lying around.

I feel like some of the blame for limited availability of Amiibos in stores is due to the fact that they're already stuck with a bunch of Toys-To-Life stock they can't move.

I was really hoping to get that Amazon exclusive Skyward Sword Link, but I doubt I'll ever get it. Really wanted the Fire Emblem Echos pack, but I've never even seen it in stock anywhere.

NeonBlack

Collecting all of them and all those weapons and then upgrading them added at least 60h of gameplay.

Would you also buy all the cosmetic DLC for other games? Not coming down on you, I'm just interested in the idea that 100% a game also entails stuff not originally part of it.

I feel like some of the blame for limited availability of Amiibos in stores is due to the fact that they're already stuck with a bunch of Toys-To-Life stock they can't move.

I was really hoping to get that Amazon exclusive Skyward Sword Link, but I doubt I'll ever get it. Really wanted the Fire Emblem Echos pack, but I've never even seen it in stock anywhere.

The Echoes pack was available for quite a while online at almost all major retailers after the game came out.

As a matter of fact, seems to available at BB right now. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=fire+emblem+echoes+amiibo&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

Nictel

"The only option I have now is to pirate this DLC".

Because if you treat amiibo as DLC, that's what you're saying. You're admitting you're gonna pirate it.
Yes because there are no legal options. I want to buy them but I can't.

Moreover you can argue it doesn't matter if you buy them second hand or do a NFC tag as in neither case Nintendo gets any money.

I have 2 amiibo currently.

I got a yarn yoshi that came with wooly world, and my friend got me a DeDeDe amiibo because I maimed him in smash.

Didn't pay for either so it didn't affect me much :/

After some of the figures in the first wave became a pain to find I said I wasn't going to mess with any Amiibo that weren't Splatoon related. Even then I didn't buy all of them because I wasn't interested in the alternate colors.

I feel for the people who are trying to get all of them for Zelda and Fire Emblem, that looks like a goddamn nightmare.

Edit: I'm sort of relieved that Animal Crossing's amiibo and cards flopped, because that caused Nintendo to reign it in a little bit.

I usually don't like telling other "ur playing it wrong", but I've known people in my life that were hoarders, and remaining quiet out of politeness doesn't help them.

Stop caring about 100%'ing games. Seriously, STOP. This mentality that you need to collect everything, otherwise you haven't "won", is self-defeating. Let it go, and if you can't, seek professional help.

Eumi

Wait, is the argument you people are going with seriously "it's not dlc"?

I mean, I guess it's technically not dlc since it's physical, but wow. I dunno how you get to a place where you try to argue that content locked behind merchandise isn't content locked behind merchandise because... hell, I can't even follow people's reasons why to be honest. Something about not thinking the content is worth it? I think?

Quonny

No he's not. If that was the case, borrowing an amiibo from a friend and using in your game would be piracy too.

This argument makes no sense.

It's more akin to burning your own games vs borrowing from a friend. Clearly burning your own games are piracy.

ViolentP

The content isn't locked behind anything,
the content wouldn't even be there if it wasn't for amiibo.

That's one hell of a way to spin it, friend. Considering the content isn't in the Amiibo itself but in fact unlocked by the use of one, I would say that it is nothing but locked behind the purchase.

Sami+

You're advocating piracy, you do realize that, right?

The code people wrote to enable the same tags as the amiibo being released tomorrow is wholly original and thus not piracy. It just happens to unlock the same trigger in the game as Nintendo's own code, but since the code isn't copied they can't really do anything about it. It's not unlike an action replay cheat- which is legal.

The Dink

I've long had this issue with amiibo -- it's physical DLC. Plain and simple.

You're tying in-game content, regardless of complexity or importance, to a physical item. Typically, DLC will run anywhere between a dollar to 15, maybe 20 for extremely substantial content (xpacs and other new story content). But these prices rarely change, and when they do, it's typically a drop in price. But Nintendo's tying DLC to physical objects that are constrained by supply and demand, and therefore are subject to upward price momentum. amiibo can be discontinued or underproduced, sending their value skyward, and with no alternative way of offering the in-game content, the DLC becomes increasingly difficult, if not impossible, to obtain.

The obvious solution would be to offer amiibo-locked DLC as a separate download with a lower pricepoint, but that reduces the appeal of amiibos, so I'm not sure Nintendo would do that. TBH, I'm surprised more noise hasn't been made about this. Especially with all the pushback against pre-planned DLC, season passes, full-price games with microtransactions, etc. This just seems to be the worst offender, yet it's received comparatively little attention. The primary rationalization is that "the content isn't important anyway." Sure, that may be true -- albeit subjective -- but what happens once something substantial IS offered behind an amiibo? Even beyond that, though, is the sheer principle of it: DLC should not be constrained by real-world supply.

I mean, you're kind of forgetting the main appeal of amiibo for people like me, which is just gaming memorabilia at an affordable price with extra gaming functionality. I've seen many figures with less quality than the amiibos go for MORE than $15 before, and that's without the scannable extras the amiibos can provide. I bought the Little Mac and Lucas amiibos just because they represent some of my favorite game titles and figures for them are virtually nonexistent.

Additionally you're forgetting that many amiibo have compatibility across multiple titles. So if you think about it that way, it actually comes out costing LESS than standard DLC and comes with a free figure to boost for some titles. Heck, even if a certain amiibo character doesn't star in a particular title their figure can still be scanned for an in-game extra of some kind. I can't think of any other games out there where DLC for one game works with another, which is something I feel many amiibo critics fail to point out.

To me, amiibos are DLC done right. They're a great collectible that can be used again and again across many titles but spruce up one of my shelves in between these times.

OP, I can honestly agree with you to a point. I think Nintendo could and should at least make content like Amiibo costumes into paid DLC of some kind. I buy amiibo with the sole interest of collecting them, so I also miss out on DLC because they block me from scanning them in the package. If the option to just buy or unlock that content were there, I would probably be tempted to spend an extra few bucks.

At the same time, having that option available would probably convince some people to not buy Amiibo at all. It's a weird double-edged sword. Especially when the alternative could mean filling their games with microtransactions.

PSFan

This argument makes no sense.

It's more akin to burning your own games vs borrowing from a friend. Clearly burning your own games are piracy.

How doesn't it make sense? In both cases you are using an amiibo you didn't pay for. It's not piracy.

So those amiibo files are just downloadable from Nintendo's official site I guess, with instructions on how to.

See the earlier post from another poster. They aren't using Nintendo's files.

13ruce

Banned
Honestly for 15$ figures they are pretty good quality wise especially since mid-late 2015.

Sure the dlc behind them is shitty but if you like collecting some of them it's a nice bonus.

And besides the popular ones even sell for a good price without being boxed in good condition (secondhand).

So in the future you could possibly sell them at a profit even if you used them.

But figures are not for everyone so imo nintendo should put the DLC on the eshop but sadly that won't happen since that might decrease amiibo sales.

meow

I'm super salty I can't get Epona in botw any other way and the super ugly smash link amiibo is like $60.

ViolentP

How doesn't it make sense? In both cases you are using an amiibo you didn't pay for. It's not piracy.

My thought is the line of distinction lies in the use of a purchased product vs. the use of one not purchased. Surely there is more to this argument than just that but there is where I see a difference.

Quonny

The person I quoted is talking about Amiibo spoofing, aka buying blank tags (disks) and downloading the Amiibo information (the game).

This isn't like he took an Amiibo from a friend and scanned the information for an unlock. This is very similar to downloading a game from the internet and burning it to a disk.

Although not exactly the same, it's way more similar to this that borrowing from a friend.

Top Bottom