• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Opinion] Amiibo is the worst DLC in the hands of Nintendo

UCBooties

I don't like that there is still such scarcity for popular figures but what bothers me the most is how bad Nintendo is about communicating when and where new Amiibos are releasing. By the time I knew that the new ones were going on sale the pre-orders were long gone.

PMS341

thatsnothowitworksthatsnothowanyofitworks.gif

they datamined the unlock code, they didnt independently arrive at a magic number that just happens to magically unlock specific things in specific games via clean room independent research.

Yes, its still piracy, even though they wrote their own code to pirate things (just like, well, all pirates bypassing all copy protection do).

Its not "using an action replay".
Its making WOW private servers.
Its using cheat engine for free diamonds in F2P IOS games.
Its cracking executables to say you have purchased DLC that you have not.

Like... there really isn't any 'grey area' here, its straight up piracy.

haQB1CD.jpg

Platy

If the unlock code is on then they're not praying it either. By that logic the kids using GameShark codes to unlock event Pokemon are pirating too because they didn't go to whatever bs movie or event bthey're giving the Pokémon away at.

I mean you can take the moral high ground and draw lines in the sand if you want I guess but considering GameSharks are completely legal...

Yes the kids are pirating

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
They're not DLC though... You buy the figures because you want the figures... Then you get a fun in-game bonus out of it, to sweeten the pot. None of the Amiibo unlocks in any of these games have been hugely significant content.
Not true.

Mario Party 10 has an entire game mode behind an Amiibo wall. It got me buying them and now I have nearly 10 of them.

It's definitely DLC by any other means and there should be alternative to get the content for those unable or unwilling to have a cupboard full of the things.

Peltz

It's Nintendo's most annoying decision. I just choose to ignore it at this point.

It's one thing if they were a short lived fun promo thing for a year or so, but it's been 3 years and they now lock stuff behind amiibo consistently. It sucks.

If you are just getting it for the in game content, you can:

- borrow an Amiibo
- buy and resell Amiibo
- wait until a stock appears

Sucks for collectors though.

This is kind of dumb. It's content locked behind a series of figurines which Nintendo continuously fail to create ample stock of. Either start ramping up production of these things or allow users to purchase the content elsewhere.

It's the height of incompetence and we've had this issue for over two years now, nearly every time a new line of Amiibo are released.

I don't like that there is still such scarcity for popular figures but what bothers me the most is how bad Nintendo is about communicating when and where new Amiibos are releasing. By the time I knew that the new ones were going on sale the pre-orders were long gone.

This is a huge problem. They weren't up for pre-order anywhere here for months, despite being announced a while back. The other day I was browsing Amazon and find out that they were recently up for pre-order there but now all sold out. How am I supposed to know when these things go on sale save for refreshing Amazon all day every day from announcement to release?

kunonabi

Not true.

Mario Party 10 has an entire game mode behind an Amiibo wall. It got me buying them and now I have nearly 10 of them.

It's definitely DLC by any other means and there should be alternative to get the content for those unable or unwilling to have a cupboard full of the things.

A game mode designed around Amiibo usage that wouldn't have been in there otherwise.

Ovek

7Member7
Fuck 'em just get one of those device things that can reprogram itself to clone all the Amiibo if all your interested in is the locked content and not some dumb ass figure.

This content lock out pay wall is fucking gross but it all gets hand waved away because magical Nintendo does it.

Sami+

okay so whats the gameshark code to unlock all the DLC outfits in Tekken 7?

We both know why GameSharks and Action Replay fell by the wayside these past two generations but those guys that unlocked those SFxT characters a few years back weren't breaking the law. If those Tekken characters are already completed and on the disc but locked behind a code then yeah, unlocking them would be legal.

Yes the kids are pirating

Lol.

Usobuko

Banned
Feel sorry for those who collects and think there's value to them.

Amiibo interest pretty much tempers off in the last few months.

Good thing I buy only what I want, Greninja was awesome.

The Dink

Neither of those address my primary point, which is that amiibos are physical DLC that are constrained by supply and, consequently, exist in limited quantities. This means that someone who might want a certain piece of content could find themselves unable to ever acquire it, or have it be practically unfeasible to do so. Your two points are specific to your situation, and that's all well and good. But they fail to address the supply issue. Additionally, not everyone wants to purchase figurines just for in-game content.

And to everyone who claims that "oh, you shouldn't be worried about 100%ing a game," that's also missing the point. Maybe someone isn't a completionist but still wants a skin or other piece of in-game content for no other reason than they want it. They still have to use an amiibo that they may or may not be able to acquire, leaving them effectively locked out of the DLC. This is not a situation that should ever occur.

The stock situation has been shitty in instances. Though this hasn't really seemed to have been a problem until recently with the Zelda series amiibos being unavailable and scalpers matching the difference. I would say Nintendo was caught off-guard by the demand for the older Zelda figures (though they should have known better). It sucks, but it's not like Nintendo isn't working to fix it with new shipments. But since your problem seems to lie particularly in locking game content behind physical merchandise, I'm not quite sure what to tell you. Others have done the same with collector's editions and pre-orders.

I should mention that I'm not actually opposed to including a way for people to pay for amiibo DLC in my previous post. Though thinking on it, implementation might be harder than people are making out. I mean, certainly it would be easy to sell the equipment/Epona from BotW (which I feel is what the majority of people in this thread are talking about), but how do you implement the amiibo functionality of Smash into DLC? Or scanning animal crossing figures in AC to unlock RV's or move in villagers? Not to mention all the games that have daily scans to unlock coins/items/etc. It's not as easy as simply putting an outfit in a shop for much of the amiibo functionality. It's possible, and again I'm not against including some kind of option since physical stock can be limited, but tricky.

Why can't we have Amiibos and have the content available as DLC that can be purchased normally? Also how are Amiibos 'fun'?

See above. Also, amiibos are fun in the same way collectible figures are? Kind of the same way pop figures are and like...half of all nerdy items ever? Not sure where you were going with that.

Would it? Amiibos were hot fire at first just by being smash bros trophy figures.

I don't give a shit about any dlc or game bits attached. I just like having a glow in the dark boo or yarn yoshi. I waited over an hour in line at GameStop just to preorder Ness originally because I wanted it.

Yes it would because buying the DLC online would mean a lost sale for the figure that Nintendo spent more money for R&D, marketing, production or distribution. It has to be one or the other because having both would eat into Nintendo's bottom line. Plus it would do nothing to quell the "on disc DLC" complaints and in fact would just make them worse because now you aren't even buying a tangible product you didn't even own.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nintendo managed to make Amiibo less appealing than Microtansactions and yet people are okay with it.

Because a I get a physical item with it.

If I decide in the future I no longer want said item, I'm allowed to resell it.

Microtransactions are a one-way street. Once the publisher gets my money that's it, I have no recourse for resale in the future.

That's why I'm generally not a fan of digital software in the first place; lack of freedom.

Feel sorry for those who collects and think there's value to them.

Amiibo interest pretty much tempers off in the last few months.

Good thing I buy only what I want, Greninja was awesome.

I buy amiibo because I like them, that's really about it.

I'm not claiming you are, but some folks act like everyone that buys amiibo is trying to get in on some sort of investment that'll pay off in the future.

Nah I just like some little figures.

Yukinari

Fuck 'em just get one of those device things that can reprogram itself to clone all the Amiibo if all your interested in is the locked content and not some dumb ass figure.

This content lock out pay wall is fucking gross but it all gets hand waved away because magical Nintendo does it.

This is how you do it. Maybe buy a few figures here and there that you like but otherwise its powersaves all day.

Alternatively do what Ubisoft is doing with their figurine ship game and have physical and digital versions. Yeah i know trusting Ubisoft to price that stuff accordingly is a bad idea but its possible.

See right about now is a real good time for Nintendo to roll out the Amiibo Cards. Originally when they had talked about doing them in addition to the physical figures, I figured it was going to be a great way to offset the cost; it'd be far easier to make the cards than the figures. And surely a store couldn't ever hold 100+ amiibo. But making amiibo card packs (or even just single character packs) would save a lot of shelf space.

The Animal Crossing/Mario Sports series didn't work because of the games attached to them, but I can guarantee that when AC for Switch launches it'll make the cards near impossible to find...but they can at least reprint them and crank them out to the market in a much faster fashion than if they had to do 400+ physical figures. Similarly, I figured this would also work really well for Smash characters, and have the option of putting in alts on different cards, etc.

I think what you'll find from the community is that we love the DLC and the ability to get all sorts of bonuses in different games because we've bought so many of these damn things. I like them because they're a fun little collectible though. I'm used to paying $10-$15 for a shitty Star Wars figure but now you're telling me I can get a neat little figure of one of my favorite Nintendo characters, AND it does stuff in a bunch of different games? Sign me up.
On the outside, obviously those who don't like them or have had trouble finding them probably hate the whole idea of them...which seems clear from this thread and admittedly makes sense. But I think Nintendo can find a solution here that works...or rather they already have one and now its just a matter of if they'll implement it.

LordRaptor

We both know why GameSharks and Action Replay fell by the wayside these past two generations but those guys that unlocked those SFxT characters a few years back weren't breaking the law. If those Tekken characters are already completed and on the disc but locked behind a code then yeah, unlocking them would be legal.

The DMCA - by virtue of being newer - supercedes Galoob vs Nintendo, and no, bypassing DRM for the sole purpose of breaking a copyright holders rights is not 'legal', or even morally justifiable.

If you don't like Amiibos - for any reason - don't fucking buy them.
There is zero legal or moral ground to stand upon where flashing rewritable NFC chips with cloned copyrighted code to get free stuff is defensible.

Nictel

This is how you do it. Maybe buy a few figures here and there that you like but otherwise its powersaves all day.

Alternatively do what Ubisoft is doing with their figurine ship game and have physical and digital versions. Yeah i know trusting Ubisoft to price that stuff accordingly is a bad idea but its possible.

Side-note: Will rabids be the first non-first party amiiibo's?

Kureransu

Personally I buy the ones i fancy and call it a day. I don't even think i've unlocked a single costume in MK with them. I too am one who view it as a perk for investing in amiibo more so than physical DLC, even though it's exactly what it is. I guess these days I don't feel the "need" to have extra content in a game to validate it. In most cases there is more than enough content in ninty games that give me my money's worth.

On the flip side, to those who still have that desire, i'm sorry. It sucks because it only benefits the collectors who get every one.

Lgndryhr

I ignored them for a long time and almost bought some for BotW, but decided to go the route of Datel's device to duplicate the amiibo data. I am not paying NIntendo that kind of money for a figure to get content on a game that should have either been included or offered as a DLC-esque download / unlock code.

Somnid

I think all of this is true. But it doesn't change the fact that there is content for a game that is locked behind the purchase of the Amiibo. Whether it would have been there or not is irrelevant. It is there. And the only way to unlock it is through the Amiibo.

Now, if said content was inside the Amiibo itself, I would agree that this all exists within the Amiibo ecosystem. But my version of MK10 has all of this content already in it but I cannot get to it without buying something I have no interest in. Nintendo should really provide a secondary option but considering Amiibos make money hand over fist, I doubt they will.

So it's an impasse. Much of the value of the Amiibo is derived from what it is, not necessarily what it does and that sort of physical reality model likely drives how they approach it. The physical/digital entanglement is the product they are selling, not the perceived content. It's a new type of hybrid product that doesn't currently fit cleanly in existing models of either physical or digital products.

Yukinari

The Zelda amiibo are still pretty absurd to find, especially after BoTW came out.

Im lucky i got the guardian amiibo but even if i wanted Majora Link i probably have to pay out the ass now.

After reading through this thread I believe that releasing the amiibo content through DLC microtransactions wouldn't hurt amiibo sales at all. Everybody in here arguing against it keeps saying that the fun is in collecting them and not the content itself.

On the other side are all of us who hate collectibles and love content. We will not buy amiibo and Nintendo is losing money from us because we likely would pay a couple of bucks for an in game item that we want or find aesthetically pleasing.

I also can't believe that people still give Nintendo a pass on their artificial scarcity bullshit. Name one product that Nintendo has released that wasn't extremely difficult to find for the average consumer...

Still waiting...

Clearly this isn't that Nintendo is so incompetent that they continually underestimate their value but rather a business decision that they make to drive up demand. It has worked well for them and their fans always give them a pass so why not continue it?

hawk2025

1000 times better than the legal gambling of loot boxes.

Nintendo should always have the equivalent Amiibo cards in print, though. Let customers choose between statues and just the DLC, and it would be easier to keep everything in print.

ViolentP

So it's an impasse. Much of the value of the Amiibo is derived from what it is, not necessarily what it does and that sort of physical reality model likely drives how they approach it. The physical/digital entanglement is the product they are selling, not the perceived content. It's a new type of hybrid product that doesn't currently fit cleanly in existing models of either physical or digital products.

As a business move it makes sense, not arguing that much. On the consumer level however, it sucks that a piece of content that one may be interested in is unattainable unless they purchase something they have no interest in.

nickerous

The Animal Crossing/Mario Sports series didn't work because of the games attached to them, but I can guarantee that when AC for Switch launches it'll make the cards near impossible to find...but they can at least reprint them and crank them out to the market in a much faster fashion than if they had to do 400+ physical figures. Similarly, I figured this would also work really well for Smash characters, and have the option of putting in alts on different cards, etc.

They are not readily available right now...especially the newest Welcome Amiibo cards for AC.

Platy

Side-note: Will rabids be the first non-first party amiiibo's?

Shovel Knight and Monster Hunter

And THEORICALY Sonic, Cloud, Bayonetta, Ryu, Megaman and Pacman

After reading through this thread I believe that releasing the amiibo content through DLC microtransactions wouldn't hurt amiibo sales at all. Everybody in here arguing against it keeps saying that the fun is in collecting them and not the content itself.

On the other side are all of us who hate collectibles and love content. We will not buy amiibo and Nintendo is losing money from us because we likely would pay a couple of bucks for an in game item that we want or find aesthetically pleasing.

Now give us realistic ideas of price that you would gladly pay for amiibo content in games

pbsapeer

Banned
I love the idea of amiibo but the scampers really put my off them. I'd love to have all 18 of the zelda ones but the cost of them is just too much. I love the home made zelda cards that people are selling and would buy them from Nintendo in a heart beat. Shame they won't do it. I'd even buy blind bags of them like football stickers if they offered them!

Shovel Knight and Monster Hunter

And THEORICALY Sonic, Cloud, Bayonetta, Ryu, Megaman and Pacman

Now give us realistic ideas of price that you would gladly pay for amiibo content in games

I did? A couple bucks. Even if it wasn't available at an amount I would want to pay at least they are giving me the option since I really don't care about collectible statues.

Jubenhimer

Really, We're still on this? Look, amiibo shortages suck, and it can be annoying to try and scavange for the ones you really want. But calling them "the worst DLC in the hands of Nintendo" is nonsense. Most of the content locked behind amiibo is non-essential stuff like costumes and shortcuts that you don't actually need to complete or even enjoy the game. Now if they start locking important story elements or essentail levels behind amiibo, you'd have a point. But amiibo is nothing more than a tool, so don't blame the tool for that, blame the person using it. So far, Nintendo has done a decent job with keeping amiibo content fair, and non-essential. You can enjoy and fully complete Breath of the Wild for example without using a single amiibo. Also in the case of games like Zelda having a dungeon behind an amiibo. In those cases, the game usually comes with the amiibo you need. So really, there's no reason to complain in that case. If it doesn't come with the amiibo, then yeah it'd suck.

From the complete bottom of my heart:

Fuck the whole idea of a physical product unlocking digital content in an video game.

There have already been cases where I wanted the amiibo unlock but ugh oh my god I hate buying toys. Genuinely the thing I've hated the most in this godforsaken industry.

Really, We're still on this? Look, amiibo shortages suck, and it can be annoying to try and scavange for the ones you really want. But calling them "the worst DLC in the hands of Nintendo" is nonsense. Most of the content locked behind amiibo is non-essential stuff like costumes and shortcuts that you don't actually need to complete or even enjoy the game. Now if they start locking important story elements or essentail levels behind amiibo, you'd have a point. But amiibo is nothing more than a tool, so don't blame the tool for that, blame the person using it. So far, Nintendo has done a decent job with keeping amiibo content fair, and non-essential. You can enjoy and fully complete Breath of the Wild for example without using a single amiibo.

There's plenty of content locked behind amiibo lately in Nintendo games. Whether it's essential or not is subjective, but they really should take a hint from their own Mario Maker where everything can be unlocked without them (I think...).

Berordn

There's plenty of content locked behind amiibo lately in Nintendo games. Whether it's essential or not is subjective, but they really should take a hint from their own Mario Maker where everything can be unlocked without them (I think...).

Big Mushroom is amiibo exclusive, unfortunately.

Top Bottom