• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Opinion] Amiibo is the worst DLC in the hands of Nintendo

Somnid

That's one hell of a way to spin it, friend. Considering the content isn't in the Amiibo itself but in fact unlocked by the use of one, I would say that it is nothing but locked behind the purchase.

I think what he's saying the content was made for Amiibo. Like BotW probably wouldn't have daily meat rain if Amiibo didn't exist. For things that are perhaps considered more contentful (it's really a spectrum of different things) then Amiibo margins may in fact play into those features. For example, AC likely would not have been updated otherwise.

That's one hell of a way to spin it, friend. Considering the content isn't in the Amiibo itself but in fact unlocked by the use of one, I would say that it is nothing but locked behind the purchase.

Im saying Nintendo wouldn't have even included that stuff if they weren't just trying to push Amiibo.

Rncewind

I think what he's saying the content was made for Amiibo. Like BotW probably wouldn't have daily meat rain if Amiibo didn't exist. For things that are perhaps considered more contentful (it's really a spectrum of different things) then Amiibo margins may in fact play into those features. For example, AC likely would not have been updated otherwise.

im pretty sure epona would be in zelda without the divine force of amiibos

Berordn

And the only companion you can get is behind a amiibo on discl dlc :D

That one is a little odd. It seemed like there were going to be more at one point that got axed, but even then Wolf Link is so monumentally useless so much of the time it's hard for me to consider him a real loss.

You're right though, he's the only one in the game.

Completely agree. With DLC I can at least decide if I want to spend money on it or not, even if it's just customization content. I don't need some toys, but I want to have some content, which is unlocked by amiibos. And there are tons of people outthere who will buy them anyway because they want to collect them and see them as an worthy investment even without the content, so just make it available for anyone, it's really a win-win.

Or at least make amiibos more available and not super-rare.

LordRaptor

The code people wrote to enable the same tags as the amiibo being released tomorrow is wholly original and thus not piracy. It just happens to unlock the same trigger in the game as Nintendo's own code, but since the code isn't copied they can't really do anything about it. It's not unlike an action replay cheat- which is legal.

wat

ToonLink

It would be better if there was another way to get the exclusive items they offer, as others have said. They could still sell the amiibos just fine since amiibos unlock content for multiple games. Not to mention fans will want to buy them because they like the characters and/or they're collectors.

I collect all of the Zelda amiibos (and to a less zealous extent, the Fire Emblem ones too). I enjoy collecting them and even buy far more expensive figurines and statues, but a lot of people just want the content they offer, but can't get access to them because they sell out so quickly. They have started restocking the Zelda amiibos recently, but even the restocks sell out ridiculously fast.

I'm sure they can come up with something better than the current system.

Neiteio

I really like amiibo as figures, but yeah, if you're only interested in the unlockable content, it can be tricky.

The Odyssey ones might be decently common, at least. There's only three of them, and they're all universally popular characters.

Caelus

Horse armor, you say?

The horse armor is actually obtainable in game without DLC, but I get the reference.

I would've been okay with the amiibo DLC if there were some way to get it in game, even if it's a really difficult challenge of sorts or requires more exploration, and the amiibo is just an easier way to get it.

MikeBison

Do ya'll buy a game 8 times to get all the preorder exclusive retailer costumes so you have 'everything' in a game?

Didn't think so.

ViolentP

I think all of this is true. But it doesn't change the fact that there is content for a game that is locked behind the purchase of the Amiibo. Whether it would have been there or not is irrelevant. It is there. And the only way to unlock it is through the Amiibo.

Now, if said content was inside the Amiibo itself, I would agree that this all exists within the Amiibo ecosystem. But my version of MK10 has all of this content already in it but I cannot get to it without buying something I have no interest in. Nintendo should really provide a secondary option but considering Amiibos make money hand over fist, I doubt they will.

Im saying Nintendo wouldn't have even included that stuff if they weren't just trying to push Amiibo.

Likely so. Doesn't change the situation, however.

It would be nice if they just sold the content unlock online a few nonths after the games launched. But personally I dont really give a shit about amiibo content. If I cant justify the money on the base product I dont buy it.

Oh please. None of the costumes/equipment from the amiibos are necessary to 100% the game. They're just fun extras for people with the figures. Figures you could borrow from a friend anyway if price is an issue (or download the NFC to scan) so hey, $0 right there. I love the amiibos, they allow gamers to collect fun little figures that have in-game uses across a myriad of titles. I'll take that over DLC anytime.

Why can't we have Amiibos and have the content available as DLC that can be purchased normally? Also how are Amiibos 'fun'?

hiryu64

I mean, you're kind of forgetting the main appeal of amiibo for people like me, which is just gaming memorabilia at an affordable price with extra gaming functionality. I've seen many figures with less quality than the amiibos go for MORE than $15 before, and that's without the scannable extras the amiibos can provide. I bought the Little Mac and Lucas amiibos just because they represent some of my favorite game titles and figures for them are virtually nonexistent.

Additionally you're forgetting that many amiibo have compatibility across multiple titles. So if you think about it that way, it actually comes out costing LESS than standard DLC and comes with a free figure to boost for some titles. Heck, even if a certain amiibo character doesn't star in a particular title their figure can still be scanned for an in-game extra of some kind. I can't think of any other games out there where DLC for one game works with another, which is something I feel many amiibo critics fail to point out.

To me, amiibos are DLC done right. They're a great collectible that can be used again and again across many titles but spruce up one of my shelves in between these times.
Neither of those address my primary point, which is that amiibos are physical DLC that are constrained by supply and, consequently, exist in limited quantities. This means that someone who might want a certain piece of content could find themselves unable to ever acquire it, or have it be practically unfeasible to do so. Your two points are specific to your situation, and that's all well and good. But they fail to address the supply issue. Additionally, not everyone wants to purchase figurines just for in-game content.

And to everyone who claims that "oh, you shouldn't be worried about 100%ing a game," that's also missing the point. Maybe someone isn't a completionist but still wants a skin or other piece of in-game content for no other reason than they want it. They still have to use an amiibo that they may or may not be able to acquire, leaving them effectively locked out of the DLC. This is not a situation that should ever occur.

what-ok

Having additional armor sets locked behind toys that are hard to find in stores is such a dis to everyone. That and some of us don't want to buy toys for added content. Nintendo, if you are reading this PLEASE make these additional armor sets attainable through more trials or shrines in the game.

koss424

Not an option if you want to obtain the several Amiibo-exclusive items, costumes, and horse in BotW.

then I guess your buying Amiibos if you want that. I have a small collection but don't fret if I don't unlock every small thing in the game.

Rncewind

That one is a little odd. It seemed like there were going to be more at one point that got axed, but even then Wolf Link is so monumentally useless so much of the time it's hard for me to consider him a real loss.

You're right though, he's the only one in the game.

It seems to me especially in the case of zelda it was a delibarate company choice especially if you also consider Epona is a Amiibo unlock.

I am really ok with amiibos if its in the line of things you described like a couple items and such.

But there is some stuff, zelda being the most recent example, but also stuff like extra dungeons/world in other games like Twilight princcess or chibi robo, that is clearly going overboard with this.

Then you couple with this that most of this amiibos are not especially easy to find (i for example dont live in the us) and i agree with the OP that is the worst dlc

Sami+

The spoofed NFC tags for the Fierce Deity or whatever else is coming out tomorrow have been online for a while now. It's because people wrote their own code that just happened to trigger the unlock for the same stuff in-game as the official Majora's Mask amiibo. I'm not a programmer so I don't know how they did it, but that's what I read. It'd be impossible for them to have copied Nintendo's amiibo tag anyway because the amiibo themselves haven't been released yet.

Because of that, it's legal. It's the same as using a GameShark or Action Replay code to access parts of a game that are supposed to be locked, because in the USA at least there was a court ruling saying you can modify your own game.

It seems to me especially in the case of zelda it was a delibarate company choice especially if you also consider Epona is a Amiibo unlock.

I am really ok with amiibos if its in the line of things you described like a couple items and such.

But there is some stuff, zelda being the most recent example, but also stuff like extra dungeons/world in other games like Twilight princcess or chibi robo, that is clearly going overboard with this.

Then you couple with this that most of this amiibos are not especially easy to find (i for example dont live in the us) and i agree with the OP that is the worst dlc

Didn't TP and Chibi Robo both come packaged with the amiibo?

The low stock of the things is what really ruins it for me.

I wouldn't mind having a little collection of BOTW figures I can use in game for some extra gear. But they're so rare I only have the Link Rider amiibo.

At least make them in DLC or card form if the figures are hard to come by.

BasilZero

I lost interest in it real quick

Just got the smash bros Mario that I got with my wiiu purchase back in 2014 and the zelda tp wolf link I got from tp hd purchase from last year

Kinda wish they made digital versions of the content and sold them in bundles at the least....

Fox Mulder

Because that would cannibalize the figures Nintendo spent money on to produce.

Would it? Amiibos were hot fire at first just by being smash bros trophy figures.

I don't give a shit about any dlc or game bits attached. I just like having a glow in the dark boo or yarn yoshi. I waited over an hour in line at GameStop just to preorder Ness originally because I wanted it.

ToonLink

I find this hard to believe when they can't even meet the demand for any Zelda amiibo currently. They just need to be more careful regarding stock for less popular franchises/games, like those AC amiibo festival/happy home designer ones that were overshipped.

Sami+

Because nobody would buy the over priced mostly shitty statues.

You DON'T want this on your shelf??

B35zTq7CcAEufEP.jpg

LordRaptor

The spoofed NFC tags for the Fierce Deity or whatever else is coming out tomorrow have been online for a while now. It's because people wrote their own code that just happened to trigger the unlock for the same stuff in-game as the official Majora's Mask amiibo. I'm not a programmer so I don't know how they did it, but that's what I read. It'd be impossible for them to have copied Nintendo's amiibo tag anyway because the amiibo themselves haven't been released yet.

Because of that, it's legal. It's the same as using a GameShark or Action Replay code to access parts of a game that are supposed to be locked, because in the USA at least there was a court ruling saying you can modify your own game.

thatsnothowitworksthatsnothowanyofitworks.gif

they datamined the unlock code, they didnt independently arrive at a magic number that just happens to magically unlock specific things in specific games via clean room independent research.

Yes, its still piracy, even though they wrote their own code to pirate things (just like, well, all pirates bypassing all copy protection do).

Its not "using an action replay".
Its making WOW private servers.
Its using cheat engine for free diamonds in F2P IOS games.
Its cracking executables to say you have purchased DLC that you have not.

Like... there really isn't any 'grey area' here, its straight up piracy.

They could sell virtual amiibo. I mean, they will eventually have to if there's 3DS/Wii U/Switch VC in future consoles. Unless the content comes unlocked, but many amiibo functionality amount to cheats so I don't know how that would work.

Aside from that, Nintendo could make cards of old amiibo if they never plan to restock the figures. Or to release bundle of amiibos (like say, the 3 Kirby SSB amiibo together in a fancy box) via their webstore. Would help with stock managing.

Other solutions of suspect legality is buying NTAG215 (nfc tags) and flashing amiibo data on them with a phone app, or devices such as Powersaves/Amiiqo.

zelas

Or you could just ignore Amiibo.

They're not DLC though... You buy the figures because you want the figures... Then you get a fun in-game bonus out of it, to sweeten the pot. None of the Amiibo unlocks in any of these games have been hugely significant content.

Some people should really look at the real world implementation of Amiibo instead of spouting the years old PR that Nintendo used before they launched. Real content is locked behind amiibo now.

If there's an amiibo you want and can't get, wait. It'll likely be reprinted once demand has cooled off and you'll be able to get it easily.

Look at Pit, Ness and Lucina amiibo, amongst others. Once highly sought-after amiibo that commanded high prices and can now be found in the dozens in any average Best Buy location.

In addition, look into importing. You may pay a few extra dollars because it's coming from overseas, but outside of the packaging the figure itself is identical and region-free.
Weird how its a huge problem when publishers make consumers wait for content locked behind timed exclusivity deals but when it comes to Nintendo the solution is to pay more of also wait months for content to be readily available. Nintendo's arbitrary limitations are problematic for consumers and deserve to be called out.

Like with the NES Classic, you shouldnt get upset at the consumer for getting frustrated when Nintendo makes it harder than necessary for them to buy their product.

Platy

Unless each dlc is expensive enough...and then this thread would have been "why is the extra costumes so expensive to buy online if the amiibo is 10 bucks and gives you lots of stuff in other games on multiple systems and can be resold or borrowed ????"

That's not how it happened. They didn't just accidentally found the right code. The Wii U version was data-mined, and then they reverse engineered the code.

Nose Master

They're not DLC though... You buy the figures because you want the figures... Then you get a fun in-game bonus out of it, to sweeten the pot. None of the Amiibo unlocks in any of these games have been hugely significant content.

I dunno, shovel knight co-op is a pretty big deal imo.

Sami+

thatsnothowitworksthatsnothowanyofitworks.gif

they datamined the unlock code, they didnt independently arrive at a magic number that just happens to magically unlock specific things in specific games via clean room independent research.

Yes, its still piracy, even though they wrote their own code to pirate things (just like, well, all pirates bypassing all copy protection do).

Its not "using an action replay".
Its making WOW private servers.
Its using cheat engine for free diamonds in F2P IOS games.
Its cracking executables to say you have purchased DLC that you have not.

Like... there really isn't any 'grey area' here, its straight up piracy.

If the unlock code is on then they're not praying it either. By that logic the kids using GameShark codes to unlock event Pokemon are pirating too because they didn't go to whatever bs movie or event bthey're giving the Pokémon away at.

I mean you can take the moral high ground and draw lines in the sand if you want I guess but considering GameSharks are completely legal...

Berordn

Epona is an amiibo unlock, but not a major departure from any of the horses you get in the game. It's also the only one you can't customize in any way, so in some ways it's a downgrade from the other horses.

Chibi Robo is another good example of bad amiibo use with the postgame levels, but it's not an internally developed title either.

shandy706

I have a truckload of them as collectibles.

Still haven't used them for any unlockables X-D.

Hard to believe what some of them are worth now.

Top Bottom