• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Unanimous) Texas Supreme Court: No inherent right to gay marriage benefits

HylianTom

Banned
A unanimous Texas Supreme Court concluded Friday that there is no established right to government-provided spousal benefits in same-sex marriages.

The 2015 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that established the right to same-sex marriage did not decide all marriage-related matters, leaving room for state courts to explore the decision’s “reach and ramifications,” the all-Republican Texas court said.

Supporters of gay marriage have vowed to appeal such a ruling to the federal courts, arguing that the U.S. Supreme Court clearly stated that all marriages must be treated equally.

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas...gay-marriage-benefits/YhIJSUN9u9Uy2d8n0exU2I/

We know the likely outcome if this reaches SCOTUS and the Obergefell 5 are still all there. But imagine if a Trumpified SCOTUS gets a case like this and tells the state, "sure.. this is fine."

Can homophobes fuck off? I'm serious, I'm getting tired of hearing about these people acting like assholes against people who don't affect their lives in any way. Unanimous, too? Texas continues to be an embarrassment

Shameless. I hope because this is all out in the open, that some day we will be able to do something about it. I hope that day isn't decades away.

This is why our constitution was changed to define marriage as a contract between two people without relation to their sex.

So it's not gay marriage. It just marriage for gay people.

(One early draft in Irish alluded to marriage being possible only by gay people and had to be altered)

The Lamp

Can homophobes fuck off? I'm serious, I'm getting tired of hearing about these people acting like assholes against people who don't affect their lives in any way. Unanimous, too? Texas continues to be an embarrassment

Texas has among the lowest local politics participation of a state. Nobody votes except retired old people. So of course the people controlling our state are fucked up old republicans.

The beautiful irony is they live in Austin, where they are hated bitterly by everyone around them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This sounds like an incredibly cowardly ruling.

Two taxpayers, including Christian pastor Jack Pidgeon, next turned to the all-Republican Texas Supreme Court, which initially rejected their appeal in September, with only one member, Justice John Devine, dissenting.

A campaign by social and religious conservatives produced a barrage of emails asking the eight other justices to reconsider or risk a backlash in the next GOP primary. Leading Republicans — including Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Attorney General Ken Paxton — joined the call, and in January the court issued a rarely granted motion to rehear the case and set oral arguments for March 1.

Friday’s ruling by the state’s highest civil court returns the case to a Harris County district court to determine if the U.S. Supreme Court’s marriage ruling applies to spousal benefits provided by the city of Houston.

“We decline to instruct the trial court how to construe Obergefell on remand,” said the opinion, written by Justice Jeff Boyd.

Texas has among the lowest local politics participation of a state. Nobody votes except retired old people. So of course the people controlling our state are fucked up old republicans.

The beautiful irony is they live in Austin, where they are hated bitterly by everyone around them.

The one time I visited Austin I loved it. If it wasn't in Texas I'd strongly consider living there too, but I feel like there'd be too much state government fuckery interfering

Vark

This is stupid, discriminatory, and a waste of my tax dollars (can I sue the state of Texas for using my own money to strip my rights? Asking for a friend).

This applies specifically to state paid benefits btw. It doesn't touch the public sector (while establishing a shitty precedent).

Yes, Texas has the potential to go blue sooner than anyone thinks, but we have to find ways to increase Latino turnout. Black and white people vote at roughly the same rate (of course white people have more voters in absolute terms, but same percentage), while Latino turnout lags sharply. Getting that group to the polls would solidify our hold in Nevada, probably turn Arizona, and get Texas very close.

NimbusD

Ok sure you can be married, but all of the things that make up what marriage actually is in the eyes of the state you can't have.

Is essentially their case.

Fucking insane.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Two taxpayers, including Christian pastor Jack Pidgeon, next turned to the all-Republican Texas Supreme Court, which initially rejected their appeal in September, with only one member, Justice John Devine, dissenting.

A campaign by social and religious conservatives produced a barrage of emails asking the eight other justices to reconsider or risk a backlash in the next GOP primary. Leading Republicans — including Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Attorney General Ken Paxton — joined the call, and in January the court issued a rarely granted motion to rehear the case and set oral arguments for March 1.

This isn't how the Judicial system should work FFS.

Yes, Texas has the potential to go blue sooner than anyone thinks, but we have to find ways to increase Latino turnout. Black and white people vote at roughly the same rate (of course white people have more voters in absolute terms, but same percentage), while Latino turnout lags sharply. Getting that group to the polls would solidify our hold in Nevada, probably turn Arizona, and get Texas very close.

Beto ORourke is on the horizon for 2018 I believe. Latino candidate who's running for senate in 2018, I should donate to his campaign

OrionX

Well that's... one way to cap off pride month... :(

Sometimes it feels like I'm in a love/hate relationship with my home state. By which I mean that I love it while it continues to hate me.

Vark

The one time I visited Austin I loved it. If it wasn't in Texas I'd strongly consider living there too, but I feel like there'd be too much state government fuckery interfering

They try, but we're super annoyingly progressive and we have their building surrounded. Up until the awful sanctuary city debate Texas pushes pretty hard for 'local rights' so there's this weird friction between 'you can't tell me what to do' and 'hey you Austin, stop doing your own thing you hippies'.

Top Bottom