• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majesco to bring NY Times Crosswords DS

argon

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070131/nyw061.html?.v=80

EDISON, N.J., Jan. 31 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Crossword puzzle aficionados will soon have a new outlet as Majesco Entertainment Company (Nasdaq: COOL - News), an innovative provider of digital entertainment products and content, today announced The New York Times Crosswords for the Nintendo DS(TM). Developed by Budcat Creations, The New York Times Crosswords will challenge even the most savvy wordplay enthusiasts when it ships this spring.

"The challenging fun of The New York Times crossword puzzles combined with the stylus-based functionality of the Nintendo DS is a perfect pairing from our perspective," said Ken Gold, vice president of Marketing, Majesco. "Handwriting recognition lends authenticity to gameplay while wireless multiplayer offers social players a means to enjoy the game with other fans on the go. The New York Times Crosswords really is the ultimate game for passionate crossword puzzle lovers."

The New York Times Crosswords features more than 1,000 real crossword puzzles and the unique ability to write in answers with the stylus or use a Touch Screen keyboard to enter letters. Various modes of play include Puzzle Me Quick for a fast word fix; Puzzle Week for extended play with progressive difficulty; or Challenge mode with adjustable time and difficulty settings. In addition, the game includes both cooperative and competitive 2-player play so puzzle fanatics can work together or face off in wireless challenges.

For more information about Majesco's exciting line of products please visit www.majescoentertainment.com.

What do you guys think of a crossword game on the DS?

I think it could be a solid hit if it's marketed right. Getting the NY Times license really lends an air of authenticity to the game, which may spur sales from the nontraditional market. Hopefully it's a budget-priced title ($19.99-$24.99) like Brain Training was.

With this title and Cooking Mama, Majesco is really showing the right kind of thinking going into this gen.

I thought this was announced already.

Everytime I don't think I find news, it's new on GAF.
Everytime I think I find new news, it's old on GAF.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Its about time a crossword game came out for DS. I've been wanting one for quite some time. There aren't any that I am aware of.

ANYWAYS, it's a very smart idea for Majesco to do.

They've really understood the type of market and games that are suited for the DS

jacktion

Banned
I hope this has downloadable content. That would be a killer app. If you could get the real NYT crosswords by download each day or week. People would freak for that.

Dilbert

Sounds like a nice title. A couple of questions, though:

1) Will it offer different difficulty levels? The NYT crossword puzzles are VERY hard, which would be a turnoff for novice puzzlers.

2) Will downloadable puzzle packs (free or very cheap) be available later on?

3) Will it have the ability to auto-generate new puzzles from a built-in dictionary? (Probably a stretch, but that would be awesome...)

Flynn

argon said:
With this title and Cooking Mama, Majesco is really showing the right kind of thinking going into this gen.

Damn right.

I remember going to their boot at E3 a couple of years ago. They were pushing Aeon Flux, Taxi Driver and Jaws.

They'd latched on to the licensed game thing, but were going at it completely ass-backwards (see Midway for how to pick the right licenses to cash in on).

It's nice to see them go the indie/boutique route rather than the cynical/cash-grab route.

Flynn

-jinx- said:
1) Will it offer different difficulty levels? The NYT crossword puzzles are VERY hard, which would be a turnoff for novice puzzlers.

The NYT puzzles have different difficulties based on the day they run.

Saturday is the hardest, I think. Monday the easiest.

Mifune

Mehmber
-jinx- said:
Sounds like a nice title. A couple of questions, though:

Yeah, hopefully they offer plenty of Monday puzzles to go with the Sunday ones.

mollipen

Compared to Japan, we haven't gotten nearly as much of the "non-game" stuff, so I'm glad to see something like this coming out. Great idea, and I'll probably pick it up, even though I suck at higher-level crossword puzzles.

donny2112

They should through in a bunch of WordFind puzzles, too. Those are a dime a dozen and would be a great relaxer if you didn't want to do a Crossword Puzzle, right then.

Mifune

Mehmber
I hope they allow you to fill in the letters in your own writing, ala Hotel Dusk. Then you can deform your letters to make corrections like in real life!

Rlan

I've no idea about the NYT Crosswords, do they usually involve a 'picture' question, or are they a lot more high brow than that?

Just wondering how it would work. wonder how far back they'd go in Crossword history.

Meier

My mom got my dad a DS for Christmas and he's been playing Brain Training and Clubhouse Games a LOT since.. I could totally see her getting one just for this. She's a crossword puzzle maniac.

Doctor_No

Rlan said:
I've no idea about the NYT Crosswords, do they usually involve a 'picture' question, or are they a lot more high brow than that?

Just wondering how it would work. wonder how far back they'd go in Crossword history.

NYT crosswords are widely considered the best. Will Shortz is a well known figure and creates really charming and imaginative puzzles.

Here's an interview with Will Shortz on the Daily Show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmzhppYPeJI

Heres another interview on Forbes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWOd3_XfWKo

I have never been into crosswords, but this looks really interesting.

B000NDFFF4.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ

Tobor

Gamecocks625 said:
I have never been into crosswords, but this looks really interesting.

B000NDFFF4.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ

I have to say, that is one of the smartest looking covers I have ever seen. The cup of coffee in the corner is the perfect hook.

Danj

Will there be a London Times version for the UK, does anyone think? Because that would be cool too.

Taker666

Obvious idea...I'm amazed it took this long.

Now Majesco should get the Nanostray guys to use their engine to make a "shoot-em-up construction kit" for the DS.

Considering how I still slog through the Crosswords and More for the PSP, this will be a welcome addition to my library. The PSP game isn't bad, but this is one of those titles that actually warrants the "OMG this would be pure sex on the DS!" cry.

And it's about time.

Top Bottom