• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel boss debunks Fantastic Four rumours

Link.

No, ‘Fantastic Four’ isn’t heading back to Marvel.

At least, not according to Marvel boss, Kevin Feige.

During Disney’s D23 expo, our pals at Yahoo! Movies caught up with the man behind the MCU… and he confirmed that there are no plans to bring The Fantastic Four back to Marvel.

At least, not for the time being.

“I’ve been at Marvel for 17 years… There are certainly no plans whatsoever for that,” he explained. “But too many amazing things have happened over the past 17 years for me ever say never. But for now, nothing.”

After selling off the rights back in the ‘90s, Marvel no longer owns the film rights to The Fantastic Four, who are instead currently owned by 20th Century Fox. And this isn’t the first time we’ve seen speculation that The Fantastic Four will find their way back to Marvel.

But after a string of bad films, it looks as though Marvel is in no rush to get them back.

However, Kevin Feige also says it could happen… one day.

“There’s a chance that aliens could come down from the sky right now,” he countered. “And we’ll use them in the movie in to save money on visual effects.”

Bit of a long shot, then.

But following Marvel’s recent deal with Sony for the use of Spider-Man, it looks as though Marvel is far more open to collaboration these days. And that could spell an eventual deal for the classic Marvel superheroes.

So, where did these rumours come from?

Appearing at D23, a life-sized model of Thanos was surrounded by four other figures, all entirely covered up until yesterday’s presentation. Many fans speculated that these could be the Fantastic Four… but they turned out to be the Black Order, or Children of Thanos.

Nothing to do with the Fantastic Four whatsoever, then.

Still, perhaps one day we’ll get a Marvel Fantastic Four film.

But it’s not happening anytime soon.

Lock if old.

I guess daddy didn't get his rocks off

mOdW9EQ.jpg

Dhx

Save FF for a new phase with Doom as the arch villain. I don't want them thrown into the current jumble.

Famassu

Good. FF is garbage.
A lot of the villains tied to the FF IP aren't, even if you hate the actual FF.

Also, didn't they deny Spider-Man like this as well? They ain't gonna admit it before they want to announce it officially, even if it is happening (not that I think it is, but hypothetically speaking)

There were rumors?

It's never happening, people. We need to face reality, here.

Were we?
Well if I remember correctly we were about a couple of weeks away from the timer running out on the deal but fox managed to get started on production for the last FF film meaning it was reset.

Paging North Korea. Time to rescue another Marvel property!

But seriously, this is why I'm one of the few people actually rooting for that FF kids movie we heard about a little while ago. I don't see them going back to Marvel any time soon so I hope Fox will actually get it right at some point. FF was the first comic I subscribed to :'(

weekev

Banned
FF isn't garbage but the films are. I enjoyed the very first one but the rest have been pish. If it were in Marvels hands I'd have more faith though.

Don't see it happening anytime soon.

People shouldn't expect a Sony type deal to happen either.

Even though the Spidey films have all had varying degrees of quality, they have all made money with them all grossing at least $700 million.

With Fantastic Four, not only have the movies been not well received, the highest grossing film is at $330 million.

Don't think Feige/Marvel are in any rush to try to get Fantastic Four back.

McBryBry

If they ever do make the move, don't give them a movie. Hasn't worked out twice now. Just open up an Avengers movie with a battle that Torch or Thing participate in, then take them back to the tower with someone important saying "A lot has changed since *last crisis*. A lot of new people with powers have showed up."

I mean they could always just make a Future Foundation movie couldn't they? Kind of like how they had quicksilver and scarlet witch in avengers 2 but they never referred to them as either of those names. Fox doesn't own the rights to a guy named Ben who has rock skin or a guy named reed that can stretch

Get:
Doom
Silver Surfer
Galactus and any other Space Entity

Trash:
FF

Nah, this is madness.
Half of Doom's greatness as a character comes from his rivalry with Reed. People are really underestimating the FF these days. I blame Perlmutter.

I have marvel unlimited right now, can anyone recommend post-bronze age FF runs that are good?

The Spider-Man and Human Torch mini is pure gold. So is the Waid and Wieringo (RIP to my fav Spidey artist) run.
And if you can deal with some 90s jank, I like the Heroes Return run.

Fantastic Four with the right people is a great property to have. Fox probably thinks they will get it right at some point though

Pachimari

I'm not too bothered about it, and I certainly didn't expect them to be announced anytime soon.

I want to see what Marvel will use from their deep library without the Fantastic Four villains. I want them to dig deeper.

Elandyll

Banned
Not sure what pisses me off the most.

Seeing one of my fav franchises and its amazing lineup of vilains stuck in limbo waiting for its next Fox driven car crash, or seeing Marvel/ Disney execs so eager to discount any possibility of getting the rights back, almost laughing it off "we don't need that trash" - like.

Not sure what pisses me off the most.

Seeing one of my fav franchises and its amazing lineup of vilains stuck in limbo waiting for its next Fox driven car crash, or seeing Marvel/ Disney execs so eager to discount any possibility of getting the rights back, almost laughing it off "we don't need that trash" - like.

Of course Marvel and Feige want the FF back. They just have to pretend they don't care so that they have a better bargaining position if a new Fox FF movie tanks again and Fox decides to play ball.

This would be true if Fox didn't have X-Men, Deadpool, and their own successful franchises keeping them profitable. Everyone knows Sony Pictures isn't doing well.

No, it's true regardless. Fox's other films keeping them profitable as a studio doesn't have anything to do with what I just said. The F4 brand will be finished with another Fox film. Period.

Penguin

I, for one, am utterly shocked that a rumor that picked up no steam with any major site isn't true!

Like we at least heard rumblings about Spider-man on and off before the deal was official.

No, it's true regardless. Fox's other films keeping them profitable as a studio doesn't have anything to do with what I just said. The F4 brand will be finished with another Fox film. Period.

Yeah, but I don't think Fox is giving this up unless they start struggling or Disney opens up their pocket books. They will always have 7 years to reboot it. The last bomba came out in 2015. They have until 2022 to start production and probably 2024/2025 to release it. After that bombs, they have until 2031/2032 to reboot it again and so on. Fox is probably bitter Marvel made a lot of money and made DD and Elektra iconic again (not even mentioning properties Fox never owned the film rights to like GR and Punisher that Marvel also brought to the mainstream successfully). They are also probably still bitter that Lucas never went to them first to sell Lucasfilm and Disney snatched them up on the cheap.

Falchion

All the Fantastic Four movies have been so bad, I don't blame Marvel for not trying to do a Spiderman like arrangement with Fox. If anything there needs to be more crossover with X-men and Deadpool.

All the Fantastic Four movies have been so bad, I don't blame Marvel for not trying to do a Spiderman like arrangement with Fox. If anything there needs to be more crossover with X-men and Deadpool.

F4 works with the MCU way easier than Fox's X-Men do.

MCU crossing over with X-Men is never happening. We made our bed.

If Constantin were going to make a deal, it wouldn't be now. Sony made its deal mid-cycle because the studio was doing badly enough that it needed a hit, and the next Spidey movie was the most likely source of that hit. Fox/Constantin doesn't need a hit anywhere near as bad as Sony does/did, so if they are ever going to make a deal, it would be much closer to when the rights expire.

Honestly at this point I think the Fantastic Four needs to take a long break. Those rumors of a kid-friendly Fantastic Four reboot are pretty ridiculous though, and Marvel needs the rights to Doctor Doom & co.

Nah, this is madness.
Half of Doom's greatness as a character comes from his rivalry with Reed. People are really underestimating the FF these days. I blame Perlmutter.

I blame ignorance.

Top Bottom