• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts III: Nomura Clarifies Statement on Possibility of a Switch Port

DKHF

http://www.dualshockers.com/kingdom...-clarifies-statement-possibility-switch-port/
A few days ago, Kingdom Hearts III Director Tetsuya Nomura was asked by IGN to comment on the possibility of a Nintendo Switch port for the game. His answer was quite vague, and IGN updated the slightly misleading headline after the fact for clarity, but some media outlets and blogs still presented it in a rather positive way. This was amplified further in Japan, where nuance was lost as his answers originally in Japanese and translated to English, were re-translated back to Japanese.

Today, Nomura-san clarified that statement in an interview on Famitsu, mentioning that when statements on foreign sites are relayed in Japan, it's not uncommon for sensational headlines to spread rumors and allegation of things that have not been said.

He explained that he was asked about a Nintendo Switch version, but his answer was simply that the PS4 and Xbox One versions are top priority since they've already been announced. As for other platforms, they could be considered afterwards.

According to Nomura-san, the verb ”considering" was interpreted liberally, leading people to believe that the game could be released on Switch. On the other hand, he did not single out Nintendo's new console, but he simply mentioned that ”other platforms" – All of them – might be considered after the PS4 and Xbox One versions are released.

The same article on IGN also mentioned that Nomura-san wasn't sure on whether there would be a demand for an Xbox One port of the recently-released PS4 remaster of the past Kingdom Hearts games outside of Japan.

He clarified that point too, explaining that, like for the previous question, already announced games have priority. Due to that, he thinks that now that Xbox One X is coming, announcing remasters of the old Kingdom Hearts titles for Xbox One after the release of Kingdom Hearts III [in 2018] would be simply too late in timing, and it would be difficult to market, especially in Japan.

This was an issue in Japan where a lot of sites exaggerated what Nomura said and his statement was a lost in translation a bit. There were also a lot of western sites/people making it seem like Nomura is saying they've looked into Switch enough to know it's definitely possible. This is what he's making clear here. That a KHIII Switch port is something they could look into after the game's release on PS4/XB1, they don't know that it's possible yet.

So since he was just talking about them considering other platforms after release, I guess PC is the other platform they will consider (I know KH hasn't been released on PC before, but it is the obvious other platform they would be considering).

Let's not kid ourselves, it's not going to happen. At least for the current iteration of Switch.

I'm more interested in knowing if a PC version will happen. I suppose how the eventual XV port does will affect it quite a bit.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Would that game even run on switch?

It will look like this!

tumblr_mtlhiqKLoL1rqz5qko8_r1_1280.jpg

lol

DKHF

This just says the exact same thing as the original interview...?
I guess this is primarily for Japanese people where the meaning of what he said was lost in translation. But there were a lot of clickbaity headlines on western sites making it seem very likely/they already know they can successfully port it so it is probably good to reinforce this.

Kain

They could potentially release all games on PC. They haven't done so maybe due to licensing issues? Disney is very picky with such things I believe.

Mediking

???? Is Kingdom Hearts 3 even that demanding compared to other games on Switch?...?

Heck, the KH collection can definitely work on Switch.

13ruce

Banned
Snes Classic Mini version in glorious 16 bit.
Altho If a Switch version happens i will double dip for sure.

Famassu

This just says the exact same thing as the original interview...?
I think this makes it a bit clearer that they aren't actually "actively considering" a Switch port or any other port for that matter. At the moment they are focusing on the PS4Bone versions and whatever MIGHT come after MIGHT be considered after release. So, at this point, no, a Kingdom Hearts III on Switch is not officially a "possibility" that they are seriously considering at all, like has been widely reported everywhere. I mean, it's a possibility in so far that they aren't saying "this is never coming to Switch", but it's not a possibility in a "we are considering a Switch version" way. Kind of semantics, but a somewhat important distinction, still.

DKHF

Yeah I don't quite get what's the clarification.
As I said above/the article said, this was an issue in Japan where a lot of sites seem to have exaggerated what Nomura said and his statement was a bit lost in translation. There were also a lot of western sites/people making it seem like Nomura is saying they've looked into Switch enough to know it's definitely possible. Pretty obvious what he is clarifying.

LordKano

It's saying softly that a switch version isn't going to happen

It's saying exactly the same thing as before, that they're not considering any additional platforms until the game is released.

considering suggests they are at the moment. Reality is they are not at the moment and will not until PS4/XB1 is released.

As I said above/the article said, this was an issue in Japan where a lot of sites seem to have exaggerated what Nomura said and his statement was a bit lost in translation. There were also a lot of western sites/people making it seem like Nomura is saying they've looked into Switch enough to know it's definitely possible. Pretty obvious what he is clarifying.

Oh okay, didn't interpret it that way the first time.

raven777

???? Is Kingdom Hearts 3 even that demanding compared to other games on Switch?...?

0.2 runs on 900p and struggles to keep 30fps on base PS4. Of course they might not had enough time to optimize it, but I expect similar situation with KH3 since it seems to have bigger scale than 0.2.

The "will it come to switch?" with puppy dog eyes questions being asked to developers are getting quite embarrassing at this stage. People should take a hint on where 3rd parties stand on the system.

Nanashrew

Banned
He's saying the same thing...

Well, if there's a possibility of a PC version in the works after the release of the others, I'm there.

DKHF

He's saying the same thing...

Well, if there's a possibility of a PC version in the works after the release of the others, I'm there.
I'll put this in the OP now but as I said above, this was an issue in Japan where a lot of sites exaggerated what Nomura said and his statement was a lost in translation a bit. There were also a lot of western sites/people making it seem like Nomura is saying they've looked into Switch enough to know it's definitely possible. This is what he's making clear here.

PsionBolt

The "will it come to switch?" with puppy dog eyes questions being asked to developers are getting quite embarrassing at this stage. People should take a hint on where 3rd parties stand on the system.

Alternatively, third parties could take a hint on where the public stands on the system, given the prevalence of the question.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Alternatively, third parties could take a hint on where the public stands on the system, given the prevalence of the question.

But wasn't there a lot of Wii U port begging too?

But wasn't there a lot of Wii U port begging too?

On gaf sure, but the wiiu was a bomba so it just seemed like die hards begging for content. Switch is a bigger hit then anyone really expected at this point and I imagine stock holders are probably gonna start asking developers behind close doors "...why aren't we putting more games on switch?". This will be especially true of publishes/developers who made significant money off of the ds/3ds/psp/vita.

Dynomutt

Today, Nomura-san clarified that statement in an interview on Famitsu, mentioning that when statements on foreign sites are relayed in Japan, it’s not uncommon for sensational headlines to spread rumors and allegation of things that have not been said.

LMAO, he's basically saying get your translation right and stop putting words in my mouth you damn 'muricans!

AniHawk

i could see an 'international version'/'kingdom hearts 3.2 near-final ultimate brave end mix 3.1' release on switch alongside a ps4/xb1 version down the line.

What they clarify is all they said is after the game is released, they might look at "other platforms".

I take it as PC maybe.

FinalAres

If they put effort into it, sure.

To be honest, I don't agree. I know a lot can be done to make games run on weaker systems, but this is game is a graphical showcase*. The amount of compromises technically that would need to be made to run on a system that is only a little more powerful than a WiiU wouldn't just require a lot of work, the resulting game would be nothing like the original game. Not every game can be graphically downgraded and that's enough. Just look at the fact that to get FFXV on PS4 they took out the final boss, that they simply couldn't get working on the system, and had to entirely re-do the Leviathan boss battle.

*I know I know, I don't even think the game looks that great from a stylistic point of view. But the recent Toy Story footage is clearly really high quality in terms of graphics.

well switch is hot shit right now and it supports ue4 so a downgraded port is not out of question. nomura did not rule it out either so its a question how healthy the platform will be in 2019/2020

they should outright say it's not coming instead of just spinning this around.

Very few companies will say that straight out. I agree it's not coming at this point in time, but Nomura isn't in a position to say they definitely won't greenlight a downport two years from now (don't think they will).

Very few companies will say that straight out. I agree it's not coming at this point in time, but Nomura isn't in a position to say they definitely won't greenlight a downport two years from now (don't think they will).

many companies straight up say that certain games will not come to nintendo platforms (see for example the latest call of duty)

Top Bottom