• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a PSP...now what?

Ichirou

Banned
Last week I saw my students playing with their PSPs and they looked to be having fun, so I decided to drop the dough and get one too. I picked up a ceramic white one along with at 2GB memory stick and a few games: Me & My Katamari, Mega Man Powered Up, Sakura Taisen 1&2, and Gundam Battle Royale.

I've been fiddling around with some of its other features - I put Star Wars Episode III on it to see what it would look like, d/l'ed a couple of trailers, put a Mega Man wallpaper on it, moved some of my music to it, etc.

So, the question for me is, now what? What other games are out there that I might be interested in, given my purchases? What upcoming games look good, aside from FF:CC? Anything else I should get, anything I should avoid?

I visited Sony's PSP website but it looked kind of barren. I'm not interested in the Killzone demo, and the only other playable demo they seem to have is Loco Roco...

Anyway, just looking for suggestions from GAF, since I pretty much rely on you guys for most of my gaming choices (I don't really visit gaming news websites at all). :lol

Play Lumines on PSP. Also if you were a fan you may want to get The Silent Hill Experience on UMD. One of the few UMD movies that was worth it.

Also check your version, you may want to check out some sweet homebrewing action.

Goldrusher

There are Ridge Racer 2 and MotoGP 06 demo's out there too. And since recently, Race Driver 3 I think.
And by Loco Roco demo, do you mean the holiday levels ? If not, those exist as well.

As for games, the GTA's are great, Tony Hawk (Underground 2 Remix) is highly underrated, Race Driver 2 (TOCA in some regions) is awesome, Lumines is one of the best puzzle games ever, Syphon Filter is great, there's Tekken, Guilty Gear, Tales of Eternia, Metal Gear Solid (and the ACID games) ofcourse, etc. etc.

Loco Roco
Daxter
Tekken: DR
MGS: Portable Ops
Syphon Filter
Lumines
Every Extend Extra
Field Commander
DJ MAX Portable

That'll keep you busy while waiting for Monster Kingdom, Ratchet and Clank, D&D Tactics, and the Final Fantasy games.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Now you buy the games you want to play...

Suggestions:

Lumines
Wipeout Pure
UGnG if you want to cry
MGS: Portable Ops
Daxter
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

Add some homebrew to the mix...

Then salivate at upcoming games...

Ratchet and Clank
Castlevania
Crisis Core
Crush
FF Tactics

Ichirou

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Downgrade it and check out the homebrew scene. You'll get your money's worth tenfold.

Homemade games? Like doujin soft in Japan?

I checked my PSP and it's version 2.85 or something.

I'm only interested in FFT if it gets a full retranslation and there are some notable changes aside from adding an FFXII character...I already played through it on PSX.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You MUST get "homebrew" on your PSP.

I bought a PSP one week ago and have no games! (money does not allow.. I will in the future) Yet homebrew has changed my life.

1. Downgrade to 1.5
2. Upgrade to custom firmware from Dark Alex... version 3.10 OE-A' right now I believe.
3. Get homebrew software!

-PSone games you can rip from your own collection into near-perfect emulation. THIS ONE IS AWESOME.
-333 mhz mode for games and such... use your PSPs clock speed to its fullest ability! (uses more battery though)
-Emulation of NES, SNES, ScummVM (Monkey Island on the go!) GEN, TG16, MSX, etc. etc. (please legal roms only! this is GAF...)
-Video resolution was capped on official firmware, not using the full resolution of the PSP... Not anymore!
-PSP Internet Radio
-Game music player
-Rip your own UMDs and play them off memory stick to use less battery
-Stream video from your PC with Pimpstreamer.

I've got

UGnG
Pro Evo 6
Wipeout pure
Killzone Liberation
LocoRoco
Exit
Lumines
Tekken DR
Daxter

All class games, the only one I've paid over £20 for is PES6, so you'll find these cheap.

Great little device the PSP, Gitaroo Man Lives and Katamari are my next cheap purchases. Really want Syphon Filter and Metal Slug anthology.

Haven't even considered downgrading firmware yet, might look into that.

Hack the **** out of it, and realize that it's 10 times better in the process.

GBA + SNES + Genesis + ScummVM emulation + full-resolution video + 333mhz + iso-loading for reduced load times and disc access = drool

Also, my favorite games:
-Vice City Stories
-Liberty City Stories
-DAXTER OMG DAXTER
-Syphon Filter
-Burnout Legends (make an iso out of this one though because loads can be a bitch otherwise)
-Sid Meier's Pirates.

I recommend renting MGS first, though, because I bought into the hype and purchased it and came out sorely disappointed. Ended up selling it.

BuddyC

For what it's worth, I've run into problems running certain games on custom firmware. While I was running 3.03 OE-C, I just couldn't get some games online, and oddly, at least one wouldn't boot if there was a memory stick inserted.

Ichirou

Banned
Someone said UGnG will make you cry...is it really that difficult?

Does the PSP have any good platformers aside from Daxter and Ratchet and Clank? I'm thinking of something more along the lines of Klonoa...?

BocoDragon said:
You MUST get "homebrew" on your PSP.

I bought a PSP one week ago and have no games! (money does not allow.. I will in the future) Yet homebrew has changed my life.

1. Downgrade to 1.5
2. Upgrade to custom firmware from Dark Alex... version 3.10 OE-A' right now I believe.
3. Get homebrew software!

-PSone games you can rip from your own collection into near-perfect emulation. THIS ONE IS AWESOME.
-333 mhz mode for games and such... use your PSPs clock speed to its fullest ability! (uses more battery though)
-Emulation of NES, SNES, ScummVM (Monkey Island on the go!) GEN, TG16, MSX, etc. etc. (please legal roms only! this is GAF...)

These interest me...unfortunately I'm not into the emulation scene at all. :lol

And all my PSX games are half a world away. *sigh*

I'm also wary of messing up my firmware since I just bought the darn thing... :/

Oldschool said:
Soul4ger
Banned

:lol

I recommend Jeanne D'arc.:)

Not out in English yet, though, right?

Oldschool

Ichirou said:
Someone said UGnG will make you cry...is it really that difficult?

Does the PSP have any good platformers aside from Daxter and Ratchet and Clank? I'm thinking of something more along the lines of Klonoa...?

And all my PSX games are half a world away. *sigh*

I'm also wary of messing up my firmware since I just bought the darn thing... :/

Not out in English yet, though, right?

Yep! Hopefully Atlus will bring it! :)

Ichirou

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Wait for Monster Hunter 2. That is what all your students will be playing.

The guys at my technical try to sneak in games of Monster Hunter 1 under their desks, I've threatened to confiscate their PSPs until the end of the day more than once, but that doesn't stop them...

jeffersonspspjq3.jpg

Check out:

- Both Capcom Classic collections to reflect on the Golden Days of Capcom as a quality developer you could rely on for great games.
- Pursuit Force for arcade action.
- Princess Crown on import
- Exit for a swank action / puzzle game
- Twisted Metal Head-On for vehicular combat goodness with on-line play

Ichirou

Banned
It's weird, coming from having had a DSL for the past year or so, and now having a PSP, the PSP games have such a different vibe to 'em...not saying they're better or worse, just really different.

BuddyC said:
For what it's worth, I've run into problems running certain games on custom firmware. While I was running 3.03 OE-C, I just couldn't get some games online, and oddly, at least one wouldn't boot if there was a memory stick inserted.

Yeah, uh, this is anecdotal evidence and I've never heard of it happening to anyone else. I've played probably 45 PSP games and not run into such an issue one single damn time.

There are online glitches at 333mhz, but 3.10OE-A fixes that.

Don't let that deter you from using custom firmware. This issue, if in fact it exists, is very isolated.

P.S. What games?

BocoDragon

Ichirou said:

I'm not into the "scene" either. In fact I am a rabid collector of old game carts.. I don't like to pirate games. But this gives emulation a legitimate purpose: portable versions of old classics.

For example I own all the Megaman games in original format and in the Anniversary Collection, but Megaman on the go? That is priceless. Yes, I wish I could copy my original NES cart right to the PSP (like a music CD to an iPod, or with PS1 games to the PS1 emulator), but that can't happen unfortunately.

Anyhow, GAF is not the place for emulation discussion.. I just wanted to say that there is a point to PSP emulation, and it is not piracy.

BocoDragon

The Take Out Bandit said:
Meijer's has this crap for $9.99 (Check out the CAG forum)

That's $9.97 more than it's worth, but if you've got to waste money on ports. . .
Explain. Do the games just suck, or do the faithful get the Dreamcast version?

Ichirou

Banned
The DS and GBA games I've been playing for the past year, to give you guys an idea of my tastes: Elite Beat Agents, Ouendan, Phoenix Wright 1 & 2, Nintendogs, New Super Mario Bros., Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, Tetris DS, Feel the Magic, Yggdra Union, Tales of Phantasia, Super Robot Wars OG 1&2, Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament...

I'm seriously considering Tales of Eternia since I'd like an RPG to play and it's my favorite Tales game (of the few I've played), but I'd rather play an RPG or strat. RPG I haven't played before...

I have the Power Stone games on DC, btw, and I don't think they'd play well on a portable due to the huge stages and how small the characters get when the camera zooms out.

BuddyC

Aristotlekh said:
Yeah, uh, this is anecdotal evidence and I've never heard of it happening to anyone else. I've played probably 45 PSP games and not run into such an issue one single damn time.

There are online glitches at 333mhz, but 3.10OE-A fixes that.

Don't let that deter you from using custom firmware. This issue, if in fact it exists, is very isolated.
To be fair, I was using 3.03 OE-C, not 3.10 OE-A, though I was running everything at the default settings while troubleshooting the issues. I'm interested to see if 3.10 OE-A resolves this (in particular the odd memory stick boot glitch), but I haven't had the time yet. I also wouldn't expect anyone else to report that issue yet, since it was occuring with a review copy of Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters.

As for the online problem, a quick search reveals I wasn't the only one having problems playing games online with 3.03 OE-C. Again, I'm not quite sure if 3.10 OE-A rectifies these issues, but I'll let you know once I dig deeper.

BocoDragon said:
Explain. Do the games just suck, or do the faithful get the Dreamcast version?

Considering to originals are only worth 0¢, the PSP version is valued at 2¢ because I advocate bundling of ports.

Yes, I just hate Powerstone. Capcom should throw that game designer into the sun.

Although I fear the Sun would have an adverse reaction and end up destroying our solar system.

So just spend the $10 and save all our lives. We'll find another way to dispose of this man.

BocoDragon

The Take Out Bandit said:
Yes, I just hate Powerstone. Capcom should throw that game designer into the sun.

I never played them anyway.. just curious.

Ichirou

Banned
_dementia said:
Again, Exit by Taito is a great puzzle/platform hybrid that I think you'd enjoy.

I'm thinking of getting that, Lumines II (I never played the first), and the Capcom puzzle game collection for on-the-go Puzzle Fighter.

BocoDragon, I love the Power Stone games. They're so much fun. I can't imagine the ports being very good, though...those games need to be played on a really really big screen TV.

I never played them anyway.. just curious.

It was a serious case of failed potential.

I was expecting a more interactive full 3D brawler. Powerstone is like Smash Brothers sans fun.

War of the Monsters is a far more accomplished version of what Powerstone originally promised. And needs a sequel on PSP or PS3.

Also, Infected is an interesting diversion if you can find it for $10. The controls aren't so great, but the game has a mean sense of humor and I appreciate that.

Ichirou

Banned
One thing that surprises me is the fact that Sony isn't allowing or encouraging US companies to publish some of the recent Japanese ports like Princess Crown, Tales of Destiny 2, or Sakura Taisen 1&2 ... those games have never come to the US before, so to US players they're basically brand-new games. Sony should bring them over...

BocoDragon

Ichirou said:
BocoDragon, I love the Power Stone games. They're so much fun. I can't imagine the ports being very good, though...those games need to be played on a really really big screen TV.

Yeah... I'm gonna get the DC one of these days, and I'm sure I can pick these up for a dime and a nickel, so maybe someday I can make my own opinion.

Top Bottom