• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 at 650.000 copies on Steam in 18 days.

Stygr

Banned
Divinity: Original Sin 2 has been in the Steam top seller chart in the past two weeks and managed to sell 420.000 copies on Steam, the game was available on Early Access for a year and in that time, 234.000 people bought the game on Steam, but we don't have data for the gog version. So know, as Steamspy is reporting, we are at 650.000 copies.

Also, after 4 days, according to Larian between gog and Steam, Divinity: Original Sin 2 sold nearly 500.000 copies, for comparison, Divinity: Original Sin managed to sell the same amount in 3 months.

Between gog and Steam we are looking a 700.000 - 800.000 copies in less than 20 days for one of the best games of 2017. (edited this, from 800.000 - 900.000 maybe i might have exaggerrated a bit )

Speely

Banned
Good lord. Well-deserved.

I think this game will have legs for days, too. Silly numbers in the end.

Edit: IMO the GOTY in a fucking great year.

Xater

I am very happy for them. Maybe it does well enough so their next game doesn't need a Kickstarter.

Durante

That's an absolutely amazing success for this type of game.
Congratulations to Larian, they deserve this.

CookTrain

Does that include all the copies that sold in Early Access?

If they have been accruing extra sales over the last however long on top of that, that's incredible.

Durante

I'm missing something because I don't understand where this number comes from.
When they made the "nearly 500k" announcement, the game was still significantly below 500k on SteamSpy, even taking into account the tracking lag. Which means that the GoG sales were actually significant.

That said, I think it's probably closer to 750k.

Nekrono

I'm so happy for them, they have created an absolute masterpiece, instant classic.

Fantastic job Larian, you deserve all the success in the world.

Mr. Tibbs

What an incredible success story, especially since it's only on a single platform. Hopefully Larian will pass a million sales in the next week! It's such a quality, ambitious game. You really get your money's worth.

Stygr

Banned
I'm missing something because I don't understand where this number comes from.

500.000 copies in 4 days + gog Early Access numbers + Gog sales in the last two weeks, i think we are close at 800.000 copies. 650.000 on Steam, and probably 200.000 on GOG.

Lanrutcon

Bow, peasants! Bow before our turn-based overlords!

Soon, all you RTWP heathens will be in for it. Firing squad is too good for you, I say.

Please Larian add a combat speed toggle.

Hugs,
A fan.

Nabs

It's always nice to see the good guys win.

500.000 copies in 4 days + gog Early Access numbers + Gog sales in the last two weeks, i think we are close at 800.000 copies. 650.000 on Steam, and probably 200.000 on GOG.

September 18: "Divinity: Original Sin 2 had been available via Steam Early Access for a year leading up to last week's release. Vincke said the game added nearly 180K sales since the 14th September launch."

Stygr

Banned
It's always nice to see the good guys win.

September 18: "Divinity: Original Sin 2 had been available via Steam Early Access for a year leading up to last week's release. Vincke said the game added nearly 180K sales since the 14th September launch."

Let's do the math.

Now, at the moment we are at 650.000 copies on Steam alone.
Without counting GOG Early Access and GOG Sales in the last two weeks.

It's safe to assume, at least 150.000 copies were sold on GOG alone.
Even on GOG Divinity: Original Sin 2 was and it's still at the top chart after 18 days since the launch.

Glad to hear their efforts are being rewarded. These Divinity games are not exactly easy or all that accessible, so their success was far from guaranteed.

Good. I hope the success of games like this and Breath of the Wild have a positive impact on other open world games as proof that you don't need to treat your audience like they can't handle role playing mechanics in their role playing games along with less direction.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When they made the "nearly 500k" announcement, the game was still significantly below 500k on SteamSpy, even taking into account the tracking lag. Which means that the GoG sales were actually significant.

The game was sitting at ~469k on the 21st:

dos2steamspyc4sys.jpg

That leaves ~30k at best for GOG.

Let's do the math.

Now, at the moment we are at 650.000 copies on Steam alone.
Without counting GOG Early Access and GOG Sales in the last two weeks.

It's safe to assume, at least 150.000 copies were sold on GOG alone.
Even on GOG Divinity: Original Sin 2 was and it's still at the top chart after 18 days since the launch.

Assuming for the moment that the split is still approximately 93.8%/6.2%, that gives us ~43k sales thus far on GOG (or rather "thus far"), for a total of ~691k.

Ladekabel

I saw a Lizard lady getting murdered in front of me and then eat her leg while wearing a bucket on my head. Every sale of this game is deserved.

I just snagged Pillars of Eternity on PS4. How does the two games compare? Sadly I don’t have a PC gaming rig so I won’t be playing Divinity anytime soon. But I’ve recently become intrigued by the popularity of these two games.

Samaritan

This makes me very happy. The game is phenomenal and deserves all the success in the world. Don't sleep on this game!

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
My biggest complaint is that the armor dye system isn't implemented yet.......and I'm pretty picky on my RPGs, lol.

Amazing game, Larian deserves all the $$ for their huge effort and massive heart shown: kudos Swen and Co.

I saw a Lizard lady getting murdered in front of me and then eat her leg while wearing a bucket on my head. Every sale of this game is deserved.

Sums up the magnificence that is DOS2 perfectly haha.

Staf

Couldn't be happier for Larian. From the outside looking in they seem like the coolest guys/gals in the business. I hope this increases the likelihood of it coming to PS4!

Tommyhawk

Absolutely deserved, it's a fantastic game!

Just reached Act 2 (after 28 hours) and I've enjoyed every minute of the game so far.

Gattsu25

Banned
I just snagged Pillars of Eternity on PS4. How does the two games compare? Sadly I don’t have a PC gaming rig so I won’t be playing Divinity anytime soon. But I’ve recently become intrigued by the popularity of these two games.
They're dramatically different games.

PoE is a grand adventure with deep lore, a sullen tone to the world and story, prescribed characters, and a 'real-time-with-pause' battle system similar to what you would see out of an old PC DnD game from the late 90's - early 00's.

EviLore described it like this:
Pillars of Eternity is a real-time-with-pause tactical party-based fantasy role playing game, spanning two large hub cities and a vast expanse of wilderness locales and beyond. If you’re unfamiliar with the subgenre or you’re not a million years old like those of us who crowdfunded this game out of our massive old-fashioned Costanza wallets, think Dragon Age PC’s strategic camera mode without all the suck. You control your party of heroes with RTS-style click and drag controls, pausing when necessary to queue up actions and abilities, then unpausing to see it all play out in glorious mayhem.

Pillars had a design goal of recapturing the look, feel, and uniqueness of the classic Infinity Engine computer RPGs (Baldur’s Gate 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1&2) of fifteen years ago without compromising the game for broader audiences or console-friendly controls or anything else that would typically be necessary for a mass market product in 2015. Like the classic IE games, it uses prerendered backgrounds with hand-drawn elements for a timeless and beautiful look. Just look at those screenshots.

Instead of using a D&D ruleset or its Forgotten Realms setting, though, all of PoE’s game systems have been built from scratch, along with a elaborate original fantasy setting: Eora, a world which delves deeply into the concept of souls.​

Divinity: Original Sin is a much more wacky or goofy affair, fully turn based combat, fully voice acted, the combat is one of the strongest of any recent RPG, multiplayer co-op (2 players for D:OS1, 4 players for part 2) that allows another player to drop in at any time and even split up where one player can be in a fight while another is still in town adventuring, almost anything can be interacted with, features creative elemental combinations that frequently get used for environmental control, etc etc. The first Divinity is also on PS4, btw.

I just snagged Pillars of Eternity on PS4. How does the two games compare? Sadly I don't have a PC gaming rig so I won't be playing Divinity anytime soon. But I've recently become intrigued by the popularity of these two games.

The combat of PoE is real-time with pause, more like Dragon Age Origins but with locked isometric perspective while Divinity OS is turn-based but with free camera.

Couldn't be happier for Larian. From the outside looking in they seem like the coolest guys/gals in the business. I hope this increases the likelihood of it coming to PS4!

Console port is pretty much a lock, all you need is patience.

And this is for a game that had a DRM free release on day 1.

Yeah, I've been following major AAA releases in the past couple years, especially the ones with Denuvo. Most were struggling to even reach 300k copies in its first month.

Top Bottom