• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 at 650.000 copies on Steam in 18 days.

epmode

My math has always been pretty terrible. Someone help with the numbers. Does this mean they've broken even at this point or made an actual profit as well?

Between Steam and GOG, they sold approximately 750,000 copies in 20 days. I don't think there have been many (any?) significant sales so most of those were at $45. Comes to nearly $34 million. With the $2 million Kickstarter and the fact that much of their technology was created for the last game, they're almost certainly in the black at this point.

Ryzaki009

I'm not that far into D:OS2. Just romanced up a fire slug but I'll take your word for it.

It's dark but it tends to balance it with some humor. I can't really remember a time I was welp without a minute or two later being amused by something else.

Sygma

I adore this game. I bought the first one but couldn't really get into it...then a few friends kept telling me to get this one and try again. I am so glad I listened. I am having a lot of fun and still have tons left to do.

The question is now....what do I play after this? It's my first real play through of a game of this genre. Any suggestions?

Well you basically picked up the best game of the genre so it's going to be a hard question, lol

I'd say Tower of Time

if you wanna expand perspectives .. Legend of Grimrock - Dragon Age : Origins - Pillars of Eternity + expansions - Fallout 1 and 2 - Baldur's Gate 2

Between Steam and GOG, they sold approximately 750,000 copies in 20 days. I don't think there have been many (any?) significant sales so most of those were at $45. Comes to nearly $34 million. With the $2 million Kickstarter and the fact that much of their technology was created for the last game, they're almost certainly in the black at this point.

You would have to subtract the kickstarter copies from that number. I paid them for the kickstarter, but I didn't pay them again for the copy I have on Steam.

Rhoc

Well deserved when I play this game I get totally immersed and get this feeling to play a modern classic which I can play in 10-20 years like I still do today sometimes with baldurs gate.

Well deserved when I play this game I get totally immersed and get this feeling to play a modern classic which I can play in 10-20 years like I still do today sometimes with baldurs gate.

Yup. It's totally immersive and it's not even in 3rd person perspective with cinematic cutscenes.

StereoVsn

You would have to subtract the kickstarter copies from that number. I paid them for the kickstarter, but I didn't pay them again for the copy I have on Steam.
Kickstarter was actually only around 40K backers. So most of this are EA and post release sales (mostly release/post release).

This is really good for Larian and have to think it's already a financial success. It will be over 1 mil by end of the year I would think at his rate.

Santiako

While everyone else tries to appeal to mass markets, Larian keeps doing what they love to do and they get better at it each time. All the success they are having is deserved and more!

I urge people to check all their previous games as well, most of them are amazing.

I was helping!

As someone who really disliked the tone of D:OS1 let me just point out how dramatically toned back 2 is in terms of humor. There's still a good chunk of humor, but it's not as outrageous as the first game. The tone is more serious as well, though not as much as Pillars.

"PECKER!"

Durante

While everyone else tries to appeal to mass markets, Larian keeps doing what they love to do and they get better at it each time. All the success they are having is deserved and more!

I urge people to check all their previous games as well, most of them are amazing.
Yeah.

I'd especially like to recommend Dragon Commander for anyone who enjoys games that take elements from many genres.

Man everyone is just gushing about this game. I'm super interested but havent played anything like this before. Is this game going to melt my brain (and soul)? Closest thing to this i have experience with is older FF games and more modern action RPGs. So... yeah, not close at all.

Also - Are there "end-game" activities like Diablo? Or is this just "play the story and move on".

Yeah.

I'd especially like to recommend Dragon Commander for anyone who enjoys games that take elements from many genres.

Really? Divinity 2 is awesome, but I tried Dragon Commander before, and thought the strategy component in that game was so janky that I quit the game.

But it wasn't that much time I gave it though.

Hastati

I hope it sells absolute gangbusters. Can't think of a developer that deserves success more than Larian.

Really hard to choose a game of the year this year though, I'm just going to go with golden buckets o' games of the year.

StereoVsn

Really? Divinity 2 is awesome, but I tried Dragon Commander before, and thought the strategy component in that game was so janky that I quit the game.

I thought Divinity 2 Developer Edition was a good game and it's definitely worth playing (and it's cheap). I played Divine Divinity games before but found hem kind of me. After Divinity 2 I became a Larian fan which led me to Divinity Original Sin.

I do recommend people check out Divinity 2 and Divinity OS after Divinity OS2 as both were good to great games while not quite reaching same high as D:OS2.

Zushin

Playing the first helps with some lore stuff but it takes place something like 1000 years after the first Original Sin so you don't need to play it. Could always read a summary of the first game or whatever to get the gist of things but it isn't required at all.

Nah, you can jump right into the second one. There's just 2-3 returning characters and they receive adequate introductions.

Great, thanks guys.

Durante

Well, I've never been particularly affected in my enjoyment of games by what most would consider "jank", so I'm not the best judge of that.

I did write about the game quite a bit in the OT.

Haven't bought the second game, but played the first. Hopefully the second game comes to the consoles soon after release. Really would like to play this with my feet up. I wonder if the modding community will take off on this because it really didn't go anywhere on the first game.

Keyouta

Congrats to the devs, hope it continues to sell and sell. Word of mouth has done this game well. I'll be buying it once I'm done playing through the first one.

Sygma

Man everyone is just gushing about this game. I'm super interested but havent played anything like this before. Is this game going to melt my brain (and soul)? Closest thing to this i have experience with is older FF games and more modern action RPGs. So... yeah, not close at all.

Also - Are there "end-game" activities like Diablo? Or is this just "play the story and move on".

Game master mode

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/09/i...divinity-original-sin-2-and-it-mostly-worked/

50 hours is the introduction island.

How is that even possible

I hope it sells absolute gangbusters. Can't think of a developer that deserves success more than Larian.

Really hard to choose a game of the year this year though, I'm just going to go with golden buckets o' games of the year.

I can think of one that should have at least the same amount of success..Obsidan...Pillars of Eternity 2 is looking amazing and proper sequel to its predecessor like DOS2 to DOS1.

kswiston

That's not really a math question, that's a guessing game.
I don't think they ever talked about their budget for this.

500k copies at $45 is $22.5M. After the Steam/GOG cut, you get a bit more than $15M. It looks like Russia, Poland, and a few other countries that likely got the game cheaper made up about 20% of the Steam sales, so knock off a couple million from that.

Was the budget over $12M on Original Sin 2? Maybe. But given the sales on the first game, it couldn't have been much more.

Edit: add the early access money to that too.

Matthew23

I had a weird issue with Divinity 2 where my character moved completely smoothly but when turning the environment stuttered at a locked 60 FPS. It was too jarring to ignore so I eventually just capped frames at 30. Loved the game though and will do another play through at some point.

I'm just a few hours into Divinity OS and I'm hooked. Will no doubt pick up OS2 this year. The dialog has been a big stand out for me so far. I'm becoming a pretty big Larian fan.

Durante

500k copies at $45 is $22.5M. After the Steam/GOG cut, you get a bit more than $15M. It looks like Russia, Poland, and a few other countries that likely got the game cheaper made up about 20% of the Steam sales, so knock off a couple million from that.

Was the budget over $12M on Original Sin 2? Maybe. But given the sales on the first game, it couldn't have been much more.

Oh, I fully agree that they likely are already in the black, I just wanted to be clear that it's a guess (or call it "estimate") rather than a mathematical result :p

Larian has about 130 employees and I don't think Belgium is noted to have a particular low cost of living. That's a pretty expensive game for 2-3 years of dev time.

However I believe years ago they hinted there was another game in development so maybe they don't have all 130 employees devoted to OS2.

Feeroper

So happy to see this doing well, I hope the momentum continues - I love this game and this style of RPG. They have clearly put some real love and dedication into this game so its great to see it pay off.

I've been following this series since Divine Divinity back in the day. When Divinity Original Sin came out a few years ago I was blown away, but man, the sequel has really stepped it up - I never thought I'd see another game that made me feel the same way I did when Baldur's Gate 2 came out.

Ploid 3.0

Is there a way to see how many sold on GOG?

I like the game, but the whole Physical vs Magic armor system they added just makes me ignore any magic damage or magic CC ability since I just leave magic alone. I already feel bored of it and stopped playing before really leaving
Fort Joy
. In D:OS 1 I get that boredom at the second map somewhere.

Thankfully there's no transporting to some End of Time ish area like the first one with the imp and his telescope, well so far. That part was the worst to me in the first game.

kswiston

Larian has about 130 employees and I don't think Belgium is noted to have a particular low cost of living. That's a pretty expensive game for 2-3 years of dev time.

However I believe years ago they hinted there was another game in development so maybe they don't have all 130 employees devoted to OS2.

They had the Enhanced Edition and console versions of OS1 until late 2015, so OS2 definitely wasn't the only focus. Also, there's no doubt that they have started on the next thing.

I'm not saying that these games cost peanuts, but the first game was said to cost 4.5M Euros before the post-launch support. Even if OS2 was triple that, they would be around the break-even already.

Edit: OS1 budget source

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-divinity-original-sin-almost-bankrupted-larian-studios/

Arulan

Given Divinity: Original Sin remains one of the best RPGs of this decade, I was expecting another fantastic game, but Larian's ambitions went much further. Based on my impressions from Act I, it's nothing short of incredible.

Congratulations to Larian Studios. They more than deserve this success.

I also hope this serves as an example to other developers that Turn-Based combat is a financially viable option, and perhaps more applicable to the vast majority of games is the sheer level of freedom the game gives to the player while respecting their ability to wield it.

Truant

What got me into this game was the systemic nature of the world. All spells and attacks can be used at any time outside combat, all characters can be killed at any time, and elements work as you expect - things can be set on fire, water puts out said fire and creates steam. And so on. It just feels that you can impact the world around you in a very different way than a Baldur's Gate or Torment.

All objects are also physics based, which means you have a lot more ways of interacting with the world than your normal cRPG. See a hole in the ground leaking out poisonous gas? Just use telekinesis and place a wooden crate over it in real time.

It makes the world feel very tactile, and it reminds me a lot of Breath of the Wild in terms of "Huh, I wonder if this will work... holy shit it did" factor.

sprinkles

Yeah.

I'd love them taking another shot at Dragon Commander.

The first game was deeply flawed - the strategy part was underdeveloped and I hated the action/RTS parts (I think the only game of that kinda genre breed I liked was Sacrifice in the late 90s).

But the writing of the diplomacy act was brilliant. We just needed more races trying to sell their princesses to the future Dragon Emperor.

Top Bottom