• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 at 650.000 copies on Steam in 18 days.

I skipped the first game, but everything I'm hearing has the sequel as drastically better (and from what I've heard the first game was already pretty good). Will definitely pick it up with whatever birthday/Christmas money I get later this year.

Fishook

Well done Larian, they has listened to fans and improved the game tenfold. Hopefully they will stick to there roots and not try and pander more to the masses. It certainly a improvement of the first game.

Yeah, I've been following major AAA releases in the past couple years, especially the ones with Denuvo. Most were struggling to even reach 300k copies in its first month.

Yeah, the latest one I can remember doing that was Total War: Warhammer, but that was a Warhammer game, in the Total War series. :) And it was matched in sales by XCOM2 during that period, which didn't have Denuvo.

Good point. When you listen to some arguments, you'd get the idea that it would have sold millions already had they used DRM.

I've also seen those arguments :). The people behind those needs to run to Larian and tell them they're doing it all wrong.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
awesome! i can't wait til my 3 D&D buddies and I pick this up and go adventuring together

maybe that first big NYC winter storm

Venfayth

They're dramatically different games.

PoE is a grand adventure with deep lore, a sullen tone to the world and story, prescribed characters, and a 'real-time-with-pause' battle system similar to what you would see out of an old PC DnD game from the late 90's - early 00's.

EviLore described it like this:
Pillars of Eternity is a real-time-with-pause tactical party-based fantasy role playing game, spanning two large hub cities and a vast expanse of wilderness locales and beyond. If you’re unfamiliar with the subgenre or you’re not a million years old like those of us who crowdfunded this game out of our massive old-fashioned Costanza wallets, think Dragon Age PC’s strategic camera mode without all the suck. You control your party of heroes with RTS-style click and drag controls, pausing when necessary to queue up actions and abilities, then unpausing to see it all play out in glorious mayhem.

Pillars had a design goal of recapturing the look, feel, and uniqueness of the classic Infinity Engine computer RPGs (Baldur’s Gate 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1&2) of fifteen years ago without compromising the game for broader audiences or console-friendly controls or anything else that would typically be necessary for a mass market product in 2015. Like the classic IE games, it uses prerendered backgrounds with hand-drawn elements for a timeless and beautiful look. Just look at those screenshots.

Instead of using a D&D ruleset or its Forgotten Realms setting, though, all of PoE’s game systems have been built from scratch, along with a elaborate original fantasy setting: Eora, a world which delves deeply into the concept of souls.​

Divinity: Original Sin is a much more wacky or goofy affair, fully turn based combat, fully voice acted, the combat is one of the strongest of any recent RPG, multiplayer co-op (2 players for D:OS1, 4 players for part 2) that allows another player to drop in at any time and even split up where one player can be in a fight while another is still in town adventuring, almost anything can be interacted with, features creative elemental combinations that frequently get used for environmental control, etc etc. The first Divinity is also on PS4, btw.

As someone who really disliked the tone of D:OS1 let me just point out how dramatically toned back 2 is in terms of humor. There's still a good chunk of humor, but it's not as outrageous as the first game. The tone is more serious as well, though not as much as Pillars.

Extremely well deserved sales. Easily my GOTY this year, surpassing the next closest by a considerable margin.

Doubt anything will top it for me this year.

Ushay

Once it's on ps4 I'm picking this up in a heartbeat.
Yup same here for Xbox. I had a blast with the original game.
Good point. When you listen to some arguments, you'd get the idea that it would have sold millions already had they used DRM.

You'd think that, but given the option of paying and downloading for 'free' you'd think most people with the ability to would take the latter choice. Good faith only goes so far when it comes to money I think.

Like CDP, I guess it's about how well you communicate with your fans too.

Fizggig

Neo Member
This game will be game of the year for most people but Zelda will prob still win. They both are my favorite this year and we still have tons more games.

Darkwater

Very strongly tempted to get it, not only because I'm sure it's a good game, but because my online gaming friends are all playing it. Don't wanna miss out!

Is playing the first required? Couldn't really get into the first much.

Playing the first helps with some lore stuff but it takes place something like 1000 years after the first Original Sin so you don't need to play it. Could always read a summary of the first game or whatever to get the gist of things but it isn't required at all.

Styles

The game is incredible. So happy for Larian.
heart2.gif

la_briola

I got it on GOG!

The only issue I have is that my PC just goes out sometimes when I play it, no clue what's going on there.

Blyr

Banned
Much deserved success, I've been following Larian since Divine Divinity and (barring Beyond Divinity) have loved every game they've put out.

So happy that they're finally getting recognition and success with OS2, OS1 was a wonderful but flawed game, and OS2 has done nothing but improve on it's predecessor in every way.

Dinjooh

Extremely well deserved sales. Easily my GOTY this year, surpassing the next closest by a considerable margin.

Doubt anything will top it for me this year.

Very much the same for me, and it's not exactly for lack of trying from the competition.

Whew, what a year.

KorrZ

One of the best games I've played in a long time.

On the last act and I really don't want it to end. I wasn't a backer for this game or the original but you can bet your ass I'll be tossing Larian my money day one for their next game.

Aeana

Game is ridiculously good. I hope it goes on to sell a boatload more.
It just continues to amaze me with every moment I spend with it.

faridmon

Yep, good games continue to sell well.
Wouldn't be surprised if this makes it to GOTY of the majority peoples list.

Sygma

They're dramatically different games.

PoE is a grand adventure with deep lore, a sullen tone to the world and story, prescribed characters, and a 'real-time-with-pause' battle system similar to what you would see out of an old PC DnD game from the late 90's - early 00's.

EviLore described it like this:
Pillars of Eternity is a real-time-with-pause tactical party-based fantasy role playing game, spanning two large hub cities and a vast expanse of wilderness locales and beyond. If you're unfamiliar with the subgenre or you're not a million years old like those of us who crowdfunded this game out of our massive old-fashioned Costanza wallets, think Dragon Age PC's strategic camera mode without all the suck. You control your party of heroes with RTS-style click and drag controls, pausing when necessary to queue up actions and abilities, then unpausing to see it all play out in glorious mayhem.

Pillars had a design goal of recapturing the look, feel, and uniqueness of the classic Infinity Engine computer RPGs (Baldur's Gate 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1&2) of fifteen years ago without compromising the game for broader audiences or console-friendly controls or anything else that would typically be necessary for a mass market product in 2015. Like the classic IE games, it uses prerendered backgrounds with hand-drawn elements for a timeless and beautiful look. Just look at those screenshots.

Instead of using a D&D ruleset or its Forgotten Realms setting, though, all of PoE's game systems have been built from scratch, along with a elaborate original fantasy setting: Eora, a world which delves deeply into the concept of souls.​

Divinity: Original Sin is a much more wacky or goofy affair, fully turn based combat, fully voice acted, the combat is one of the strongest of any recent RPG, multiplayer co-op (2 players for D:OS1, 4 players for part 2) that allows another player to drop in at any time and even split up where one player can be in a fight while another is still in town adventuring, almost anything can be interacted with, features creative elemental combinations that frequently get used for environmental control, etc etc. The first Divinity is also on PS4, btw.

I mean besides maybe 10 quests top, there's nothing that whacky in D:OS 2

If anything its even darker than PoE without problems

I adore this game. I bought the first one but couldn't really get into it...then a few friends kept telling me to get this one and try again. I am so glad I listened. I am having a lot of fun and still have tons left to do.

The question is now....what do I play after this? It's my first real play through of a game of this genre. Any suggestions?

Lanrutcon

I mean besides maybe 10 quests top, there's nothing that whacky in D:OS 2

If anything its even darker than PoE without problems

Here's a drinking game for D:OS 2: take a shot every time you couldn't save someone or some friendly animal.

You'll be dead before you're halfway through the game.

Yam's

Game deserves it. Just a shame that the game doesn't stay as good near the end of act II imo. Combats become boring too. You shouldn't get pretty much all spells you're gonna use in a discipline so fast. There's no more surprise after that, outside of mixing different magic schools.

megalowho

Got truly sucked in over the weekend after only dabbling with the first Original Sin. The tonal adjustments along with the extensive and excellent voice work and characterization is a big reason why, plus the fact that it's just a superlative CRPG mechanically and aesthetically. Happy for the studio's success, what a game.

Mikey Jr.

Original is on my ps4, waiting to be played.

I started it, but got immediately overwhelmed with options, so I stopped.

I have a fear of not starting out perfectly.

Ughhhhh.

Shengar

Divinity OS (I and II) proves that (C)RPG still sell. You only need to 1) Modernize the UI design 2) Ramped up the level of presentation with good graphic or/and art direction (Divinity has both). Too many (C)RPGs are too occupied with their story and gameplay (Divinity managed to pull them both too though) that they forgot visual aspect of their game, forgetting that RPGs is THE genre out there where menu and UI will presented to the player.

Ushay

Being able to create enthusiasm around your products, like Larian and CD Projekt have been able to do, is probably more worth then all of the DRM in the world.

Absolutely, I agree. CDP and Larian are living proof this works. I think many gamers grow disenchanted from publishers due to certain practises and a gross lack of respect for their audience ( I won't name any!). But I think there will always be a certain portion that will always pirate their content.

Game of Thrones is a great example of this (although not gaming related), I think it was pirated more than actual legitimate views worldwide.

Vamphuntr

Really enjoyed it. Probably my favorite RPG since BGII. Fixes/balancing and patches will make it an even better game. Definitely my favorite game of the year so far. The first one reached a million on steam so this one will probably too.

Hari Seldon

Ughhhhh.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first game either and did not buy this one until the reviews came out glowing. This fixes and/or improves every single aspect of the first game lol.

Durante

Really enjoyed it. Probably my favorite RPG since BGII. Fixes/balancing and patches will make it an even better game. Definitely my favorite game of the year so far. The first one reached a million on steam so this one will probably too.
It's selling much more quickly than the first so far, so it will probably make them more money even if it only matches its predecessor's sales.

Sygma

Divinity OS (I and II) proves that (C)RPG still sell. You only need to 1) Modernize the UI design 2) Ramped up the level of presentation with good graphic or/and art direction (Divinity has both). Too many (C)RPGs are too occupied with their story and gameplay (Divinity managed to pull them both too though) that they forgot visual aspect of their game, forgetting that RPGs is THE genre out there where menu and UI will presented to the player.

Well done rpgs will always sell a lot, no matter their genre. If anything, Divinity 2, Mario + Rabbids and FF XII this year are kinda showing it if we re talking about the "turn by turn" ones. Yeah I know that FF XII is in real time but characters are attacking one at a time whenever their attack gauge is filled so its kinda the same, in essence

Expecting South Park to sell well too, Xenoblade 2, Ni no Kuni 2 should get it rolling aswell.

And you know Nier Automata / Nioh / Persona 5 and Horizon also had stupid sales this year. Same for Breath of the Wild but its kinda like Horizon in terms of "light action rpg"

Ascheroth

Ughhhhh.
Ha, I can relate.

Start the first game, look at character creator and all the skills and talents.
Close the game.
Start it again, just choose classes without changing anything aside from appearance.
Play game and it's a ton of fun.
First level up.
Look at all the stuff you can put points into.
Close game.
I haven't gotten beyond this point yet (it was yesterday though). :p

My math has always been pretty terrible. Someone help with the numbers. Does this mean they've broken even at this point or made an actual profit as well?

Durante

My math has always been pretty terrible. Someone help with the numbers. Does this mean they've broken even at this point or made an actual profit as well?
That's not really a math question, that's a guessing game.
I don't think they ever talked about their budget for this.

Top Bottom