• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help..My Nintendo Switch is stuck on the sleep screen

Yesterday evening I played Arms undocked, put the console on sleep mode, woke up in the morning and returned the console to its dock.
Now, it is evening and I am trying to turn on the console but it wont turn on.
It is like it is always on sleep mode and when i press the home button i just get the sleep mode menu.
I ve also pressed the power button, the menu pops up, but it wont let me either restart or power off.I highlight the option, but no result whatsoever..
The thing is that after I choose either restart or power off, I get a black screen but the buttons are clickable and make a sound..
Any help to reset it???

ciD_Vain

Had this problem before. Hold the power button down (keep holding even after menu pops up) for like 10-20 seconds until it fully shuts off.

That happened to me last night. I had the thing in the dock for like 3 weeks untouched, and last night it would not turn on. Power button for like 20 secs fixed it.

My Switch has been doing this a lot lately and seriously thought it might be defective. Hold down the power button to hard reset and that should fix it.
I'm guessing a glitch in the firmware?

I've had this issue, too, and the only way to fix it was a hard reset (power button for 20 secs).

Been having some funny issues with my system, like sometimes when I dock the system it doesn't output to the TV or charge, forcing me to restart.

Had this problem before. Hold the power button down (keep holding even after menu pops up) for like 10-20 seconds until it fully shuts off.

This....thank you so much and everyone rolling in to help.
It took around 15 seconds!
It was the first time I experienced something like this...
Going on for some Mario and Rabbids now!!
Thanx to all!!
Mods please lock it up, if you like!

It's one of those things that a regular power cycle (on/off/restart) will keep mostly at bay. Likely related to the memory leak a lot of games seem to have, or perhaps certain processes only some games trigger.

-shadow-

Never had this problem before, but since the last firmware update have been getting it pretty frequently. In the past week already four times.

Griss

This has happened to me three times over the past week. Each time required a hard reset. Kinda freaking me out.

Jawmuncher

It’s odd how switch will only charge if the screen itself is off. If you see that little battery icon it won’t do anything. They need to patch that.

You’d think the little battery icon would charge to turning the console on.

jariw

According to reddit, it's an issue since 3.0. (Can't find the credit thread now, though.) Holding down the power button for 12 seconds to reboot solves it for now.

boxoctosis

I've had it three times in the last week. Thought it was Picross S but it just did it after putting BotW to sleep. I'm blaming the firmware.

The Hermit

It's one of those things that a regular power cycle (on/off/restart) will keep mostly at bay. Likely related to the memory leak a lot of games seem to have, or perhaps certain processes only some games trigger.

maybe its related to some games or having a lot of games.

To everyone who had this:

1) Have you ever turned off completely the console?
2) how many games do you have?
3) whats the last game you played?

maybe we can find a common factor.

Shahadan

You guys are simply using your switch more these days or putting it in sleep mode in the right (well wrong) context.

we've had multiple threads like this already is the last months, simple questions/posts before that, and I remember having that issue the day the Charts section on the eshop went live forever ago.
In any case I never turn mine off and so far each time it froze like this (happened like 5 times in 6 months) it was during the process of undocking while sleep mode was on =/

Maybe some games are more prone to this than others

Haha I just had it for the first time tonight. Assumed it was either a firmware bug or something to do with having Stardew suspended. Just Googled how to do a full reset thing and that did the job.

This....thank you so much and everyone rolling in to help.
It took around 15 seconds!
It was the first time I experienced something like this...
Going on for some Mario and Rabbids now!!
Thanx to all!!
Mods please lock it up, if you like!

Great to know for the future!

I've also had this issue. The screen lit up but wouldn't do anything, the menu came up when I pressed the home button.

I was playing Stardew Valley. I hardly turn it off because Nintendo made it a pain to turn off.

OCD Guy

I'm surprised to read so many with this issue, I've not had it once. I wonder if it's a certain game (or games) that cause it.

I've been playing Breath of the Wild again (after losing my save) and I resume from sleep often and it's not happened once.

Anyone here had it happen to them during that game?

I notice Stardew Valley has been mentioned a few times on here, I'm wondering whether that game might just have a problem with sleep mode?!

Pandy

I've been getting this too. It's almost certainly an odd bug in the latest firmware.

Power off by holding down the power button on the console until it switches off (don't use the menu on screen, just keep holding the power button), and then give it a moment and press the power button to turn the system on.
To be on the safe side. Probably worth making sure you Save & Quit any games you are playing so that you don't lose progress by trying to Suspend/Resume.

EDIT: Been happening to me regularly this week playing Butcher and Golf Story.
A few weeks ago I was playing Zelda and then Steamworld Dig 2 without issue.

Protome

I'm really glad someone made this thread, this has been happening to me a lot recently too.

Seems to happen more often if I have Mario and Rabbids open when sleeping/waking. That may just be a complete coincidence though because it has definitely happened without it.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
This has happened to be 3 or 4 times...holding the button is the solution. Please fix Nintendo.

gogogow

I'm really glad someone made this thread, this has been happening to me a lot recently too.

Seems to happen more often if I have Mario and Rabbids open when sleeping/waking. That may just be a complete coincidence though because it has definitely happened without it.

It happened to me with Splatoon 2.

OryoN

This happened to me a few days ago. I was getting worried that I may have had to open up the console(making my warranty void) to disconnect the battery manually. It SEEMED like I tried all the usual fixes to no avail. Yeah, like others have noted, we had the right solution in mind - long press power button - but the exceedingly long time you have to hold it down will take many by surprise.

Garraboa

Are you me? Happened this same morning to me. System was a bit warm, so I thought it somehow hadn't gotten "docked".

Maxrunner

Had this happening to me yesterday and i panicked, i had left it on sleep inside the case, fortunately i managed to force it to shutdown and eventually started again. funnily enough i also had the game arms on hold too...

Thread is a bit worrying. I've never had this and I use my Switch a lot. I never turn it off either.

Reminds me of when everybody experienced that hard freeze about 10 days after launch.

It'll probably happen to mine today now 😕

Gaol

Neo Member
Had this last night. I don't think it's game related, my software hasn't changed since the last update.

Duffk1ng

My Switch has been doing this a lot lately and seriously thought it might be defective. Hold down the power button to hard reset and that should fix it.
I'm guessing a glitch in the firmware?

It's a firmware bug, people started noticing it around whatever update came out shortly before Mario+Rabbids iirc, it comes and goes.

Robiin

Happened to me too in the past week. Was playing Steamworld Dig 2 IIRC. Hadbme scarred. Everyrhing reacted like normal, detaching/reattaching joy-cons, bringing up the quick menu, volume up/down but the screen was böack otherwise.

Ninja Dom

Ah shit!! This has happened to me a few times. I thought it was Golf Story’s fault as that game was sleeping. I asked in the Golf Story OT but never realised that there was a thread about this issue. It’s happened twice to me this week alone.

Firmware 4.0.0 is out now. Anybody had this problem since updating?

Top Bottom