• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport streamlined GT Mode into Mission Challenges (Read OP)

Koutsoubas

Mod Abuse:

- Yamauchi says that the content from GT Mode is still in GT Sport, but is presented differently
- Tuning is simplified because younger players apparently don't know about cars as much (lol)
- They don't want to waste time and resources making crappy "old cars" in 4K just to support a full campaign mode like before
- Mission Challenges will offer the same sort of racing content that GT Mode had
- The World Map is now a menu because it's easier to understand and they want it to be more accessible

There are things to discuss here, and we don't need to reduce it to OMG NO GT MODE, CUT OUT BECAUSE PEOPLE LACK CAR KNOWLEDGE like the article did. They obviously did it for clickbait and because they are a driving enthusiast site. We don't have to do that here.

But at the game's official launch in Modena, Italy, Yamauchi told Driving that all the elements of GT Mode are in fact still in the game, but it has been re-packaged to suit a new generation of gamers.

”In a narrow sense, the part that was the GT Mode in the past is now called Mission Challenge," he said. ”It's single player, there are various different types of races, from the very short to the very long, with different regulations, and you can tune up the cars that you purchased to participate in those races."

”When people are talking about there's no campaign mode, or no GT Mode anymore, that's not quite true," Yamauchi told us. ”It's just a change to the UI (user interface). All the things that you were able to do in the past in those modes are in the game."

Instead of the familiar menu system, laid out like a map of the world with a home area that features your garage, as in previous Gran Turismo games, GT Sport features a horizontal menu with dropdrown sub-menus, much like the ones found on many websites and echoing the XMB (Xross Media Bar) found on the Playstation's home menu.

This new approach will be alien to GT fans, but was necessary, according to Yamauchi. ”Right now we have a very well organised menu and top menu, but if we'd placed all the features you see in the menus into a map format, I think they [players] would have felt it to be the exact same thing we had in the past," he said.

As part of this UI update, the vehicle tuning system has been ”simplified" due to reduced knowledge of how cars work, he adds.

”Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter; people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car. But the new users don't have that knowledge anymore because they're not as interested in the cars, so we've simplified that area [of the game] so you can do the exact same thing you were doing in the past, but it's more user-friendly for people just getting into cars."

Bad original OP:

As the title says, I found an interesting article stating that gamers dont have car knowledge anymore. They dont know how to upgrade a car or what an air filter does.

Edit*
Maybe there wasnt a 100% correlation with Campaign being cut. Am I interpretting this the wrong way?

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/gran-turismo-boss-says-removed-gt-mode-gamers-losing-automotive-know/

Help Gaf

Yeah, because most people dont own cars and have to pay to get them fixed or anything. When you spend hundreds on a part you remember.

Foffy

Banned
..Couldn't they just have an "automate this for players" options?

Jesus Christ the people at Polyphony come up with the dumbest reasons as to why their games consistently lack features their contemporaries have.

This is almost as bad as their reasons for questionable damage models in previous games.

T.O.P

Banned
“When we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car. But the new users don’t have that knowledge”

d72ee3b3bca6781ee82010ce2d6f107cb54dc60c_hq.gif

Orb

Ignoring that ridiculous statement, who said it needs to go in depth on car shit. Just make it a racing story, like? It doesn't take a car genius to make a "this person likes racing and has to beat these other people a lot" campaign.

Business

Something must be lost in translation.

If that’s the reason it’s a plain stupid one. You don’t need to know how every part works you just need to know it increases performance. The tuning features are way more complicated and they are in.

Danielsan

Ridiculous. I didn't know jack shit about cars and car parts as a kid, but I still loved upgrading my cars in Gran Turismo 1,2 and 3. Maybe you could take the opportunity to teach people what those parts actually do? But nah, let's just axe it instead.

farisr

I didn't know what compression ratios were back when I was a 10 year old enjoying the hell out of gran turismo 1 and its simulation mode and upgrading my cars and playing around with the various parts to see which one felt best.

So stupid.

benzy

Just a sensationalist headline, Kaz didn't say that at all lmao. Just read what Kaz actually said in their quotes.

"In a narrow sense, the part that was the GT Mode in the past is now called Mission Challenge,” he said. “It’s single player, there are various different types of races, from the very short to the very long, with different regulations, and you can tune up the cars that you purchased to participate in those races."

"When people are talking about there’s no campaign mode, or no GT Mode anymore, that’s not quite true,” Yamauchi told us. “It’s just a change to the UI (user interface). All the things that you were able to do in the past in those modes are in the game.”

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter; people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car. But the new users don’t have that knowledge anymore because they’re not as interested in the cars, so we’ve simplified that area [of the game] so you can do the exact same thing you were doing in the past, but it’s more user-friendly for people just getting into cars.”

Pretty misleading headline there.

mindtwang

Neo Member
That's not really accurate. He talks about the lack of car knowledge when talking about the simplified tuning, not the campaign specifically. I don't really get how you can read the article and walk away with this conclusion.

That is a weird reason to do it.

Because when I played GT 1 and 2, I only understood that bigger numbers = better. That and if there is a upgrade to buy, I "had" to buy it.

Smacks of 'no one likes rumble anymore' in the early PS3 days, then they admitted they didn't want to pay for the licensing or something.

black070

Just a sensationalist headline, Kaz didn't say that at all lmao. Just read what Kaz actually said in their quotes.

"In a narrow sense, the part that was the GT Mode in the past is now called Mission Challenge,” he said. “It’s single player, there are various different types of races, from the very short to the very long, with different regulations, and you can tune up the cars that you purchased to participate in those races."

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter; people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car. But the new users don’t have that knowledge anymore because they’re not as interested in the cars, so we’ve simplified that area [of the game] so you can do the exact same thing you were doing in the past, but it’s more user-friendly for people just getting into cars.”

Was a little confused by the headline myself after reading the article.

ASaiyan

Banned
What is it with Japanese devs and giving incredibly patronizing and obviously ridiculous answers about feature decisions? I thought this kind of BS was just a Nintendo thing but I guess not, lol.

Like, seriously, if you don't wanna come out and say, "We didn't have the time, money or care to do it", then just don't say anything at all. Don't do this; it's incredibly insulting to everyone's intelligence. Including, you know, your fans, who might just respect you??

gelf

Well it's a big reason the GT games never appealed to me that's for sure. But I'm still not interested in this game either so removing it isn't helping much now.

oti

Banned
What is it with Japanese devs and giving incredibly patronizing and obviously ridiculous answers about feature decisions? I thought this kind of BS was just a Nintendo thing but I guess not, lol.

Like, seriously, if you don't wanna come out and say, "We didn't have the time, money or care to do it", then just don't say anything at all. Don't do this; it's incredibly insulting to everyone's intelligence. Including, you know, your fans, who might just respect you??

I don't think it's an excuse. It's just Yamauchi being Yamauchi. That guy lives for cars.

Eolz

Jesus Sony what are you doing?
It's on the level of the children excuse for the lack of crossplay...

bombshell

Pretty misleading headline there.

This post will be ignored. Also 'no campaign' in the thread title is straight up false.

Wollan

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter; people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car."

Actually I didn't at the time (I was fourteen) but Gran Turismo taught me thanks to in-game information (and a fat paper manual) and it was Great.

Top Bottom