• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport streamlined GT Mode into Mission Challenges (Read OP)

Kamina

Golden Boy
I disagree with the first statement. It can be seen by declining attendance in racing competitions for example.

The second though, is something I want them to implement. They did great with the single player mode in how it helped me become better in racing, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same to help me understand more about tuning the cars.
Well, what i meant with the first statement was more or less pointed toward the overall ratio compared the worlds general population. The way the quote is written, it sounds like “once upon a time, everyone knew how cars work”, which is simply false.

FinalAres

I mean he's right, but it was the wrong move.

Simplifying everything down to a streamlined menu is essentially why FF13 was garbage. Some of that "filler" is actually what makes the game engaging.

I predict GT Sport 2 will bring the map menu back.

farisr

I actually read the article before making my post on the first page but I'll quote myself anyways:
I didn't know what compression ratios were back when I was a 10 year old enjoying the hell out of gran turismo 1 and its simulation mode and upgrading my cars and playing around with the various parts to see which one felt best.

So stupid.

mcfizzle4

Oh my god

GT:S truly is a joke of a video game
Curious, have you played GTS?

I have no problem with simplifying the modding of the cars, I'm not a car nut myself, but I also had no problem with the old system. I don't think it really hammpers the game, and besides tuning of car settings is the same as before.

As for GTS itself. 18 hours playtime in and it's my favorite GT. Everything is focused, you can tell they wanted to do everything well that they included rather than not really perfecting anything. Sport mode is well done and I'm enjoying the clean racing. It would be nice if the races rotated daily but at the same time it's allowing me to be a better driver each time I repeat a race.

Razgreez

Looks like he couldn't turn gamers into car lovers

Edit: whatever, he just said they made the upgrade stuff more accessible.
Still, Forza didn't remove the manual upgrading and setup, but introduced an auto upgrade function which is a much better way to tackle the issue

Doesn't GTS have an auto upgrade function with the mileage point upgrade system?

farisr

Doesn't GTS have an auto upgrade function with the mileage point upgrade system?
I think the point was that in Forza you can choose to have an auto upgrade system, or do manual upgrades yourself with the individual parts. Best of both worlds. The people who Kaz is referring to are served with the auto upgrade system, while the people who are more into the upgrade system of old can sitll do that.

Mush

I mean when manual transmission is going the way of the dodo and everything is moving towards hybrid power I kinda see where he's coming from?

Still, a pretty boneheaded thing to say nonetheless.

Egida

Neo Member
Yamauchi says that the content from GT Mode is still in GT Sport, but is presented differently
This is lying straight at our face, mainly because:
- They don't want to waste time and resources making crappy "old cars" in 4K just to support a full campaign mode like before
That's what I've been saying for a while. A career mode is not possible with the present car count. The fact that in 4 years they only have like 90 unique cars is another matter for discussion.

This is like that PS Blog post. I hate them trying to feed us this bullshit. You've change your game, be brave and defend it for what it is.

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter; people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car."

Actually I didn't at the time (I was fourteen) but Gran Turismo taught me thanks to in-game information (and a fat paper manual) and it was Great.

This so much. I was even younger, like 9 at the time. It was so much fun playing with my brother, learning all that stuff and taking the cars for a test drive with every little change.

I think there's a lot of truth to this

Some critics at the game's launch, in Modena, Italy, suggested to Driving that, even if Yamauchi had wanted to include the classic GT Mode he wouldn't have been able to, as each of the cars has been rebuilt for ultra-high definition 4k resolutions on the new PS4 Pro, and the new Scapes, as well as redesigned from a physics (handling) perspective.

”They couldn't have created enough old, cheap cars to make the buying and selling process varied enough in time for launch," said one commentator.

All of the cars in GTS are modern and most are heavily slanted toward the performance side of things. For that traditional GT Mode to work it needs to have a lot of car variety. The older cars and general lower end cars are scheduled for DLC. It seems like by the time GTS2 or GT7 rolls around, whatever they decide to call it, they'll have the cars needed to make a proper GT Mode again.

Spman2099

I mean... to be fair... I didn't know anything about cars when I bought GT 1, 2, or 3 (I skipped a the last couple). I still don't know anything about cars. I was going to buy this game, but the lack of the carreer mode has me thinking that I will be better off waiting for a year or so and grabbing it on sale.

farisr

I think there's a lot of truth to this

All of the cars in GTS are modern and most are heavily slanted toward the performance side of things. For that traditional GT Mode to work it needs to have a lot of car variety. The older cars and general lower end cars are scheduled for DLC. It seems like by the time GTS2 or GT7, whatever they decide to call it, they'll have the cars needed to make a proper GT Mode again.
Yeah, that is why when and more cars started getting confirmed, I started becoming more adamant against the notion that "maybe career mode will be added in as a result of the delay"

GT career doesn't work without a wide variety of older cars. The number of unique real cars is pretty low as it is (around 70) and most of those are sports/racing models.

Maybe if these cars actually turn out future proofed this time, I can see GT Sport on PS4 getting an update to coincide with the launch of GT Sport for PS5 (that will have crossplay across both platforms) with a proper career mode thanks to the car roster being much more filled out.

AngerdX

For me the critics in general can shove it, as for the sp content i personally havn´t touched online yet and still having a blast, the change is welcome by me after 20 years and is a great platform to build upon.

We can discuss the issues there is and what we want added in the future as this is the start of the rest of GT i hope, an online career and game that follows me thru gens, continually getting better and fleshed out into the ultimate GT. :p

KennyL

I bought that thing to put in my Civic. I don't know what the fuck that thing is. I don't know what the fuck that thing does. I do know that thing makes numbers go up.

Also once again, please look at other car games that came out since gt6 before trumping for this thing.

Condom

The article still is bad. Seems like he went back to GT PSP kind of argumentation.

Many GT fans started out on the old games without knowledge and were forced to learn about cars more if they wanted to know what all the tuning did. I don't get how that is harder today when we have Google.

hm

MaDKaT

"Yamauchi says that the content from GT Mode is still in GT Sport, but is presented differently"

yeah ok, lol. The demo made it very obvious what content they kept and are presenting differently but GT Mode is certainly not all present.

Unknown?

He’s not wrong about lack of car knowledge. Millennials probably have the least knowledge about cars of any generation and also just lack enthusiasm for them. I bet the amount of people who don’t know how to drive a stick is up around 90%. As we start moving towards automated cars we will see even further lack of interest in them.

MaDKaT

He's not wrong about lack of car knowledge. Millennials probably have the least knowledge about cars of any generation and also just lack enthusiasm for them. I bet the amount of people who don't know how to drive a stick is up around 90%. As we start moving towards automated cars we will see even further lack of interest in them.

Just shows he's lost his enthusiasm for teaching them. I barely knew the basics when I started GT1. Sure I could change my tire and oil and was already driving a manual but I honestly had little interest. The series really fostered that interest for me and it could for them too.

Maybe it is time for a new visionary.

farisr

Just shows he's lost his enthusiasm for teaching them. I barely knew the basics when I started GT1. Sure I could change my tire and oil and was already driving a manual but I honestly had little interest. The series really fostered that interest for me and it could for them too.
On the other hand I was a 10 year old who didn't know jack about cars and enjoyed every aspect (including the parts upgrades) of the first GT game.

Gestault

He's not wrong about lack of car knowledge. Millennials probably have the least knowledge about cars of any generation and also just lack enthusiasm for them. I bet the amount of people who don't know how to drive a stick is up around 90%. As we start moving towards automated cars we will see even further lack of interest in them.

Your post comes across as a defense of the result, to which I'll make the sardonic comment: I guess we should remove manual shifting then.

At a time when a new generation isn't casually exposed to the workings of motorsport, car mechanics, and automotive legacies, that's exactly when a full-throated Gran Turismo career experience can, would, and should thrive. Gran Turismo is one of the series that sparked my interest in racing, and cars in general. Reading the instruction manual for the first GT explain why things like tyre squeal often represented a loss of grip that made acceleration and turning less efficient, my eyes were opened to what would end up being my driving style. Bombastic, loud, action-movie style driving was slowly revealed to be wasteful and impotent to me, in a competative setting. The technical explanations were fascinating, and I wouldn't have been exposed to it were it not for the instruction manual for a videogame.

What Yamauchi is saying is just as true now as it was then for me and countless others. That should be the impetus to create, not to omit. If he doesn't understand that, he doesn't deserve to helm the series he birthed. It's apparently outgrown him.

MaDKaT

On the other hand I was a 10 year old who didn't know jack about cars and enjoyed every aspect (including the parts upgrades) of the first GT game.

My interest in cars really didnt peak until about 6 months to GT2's launch. The series showed me a world of vehicles and an introduction to tuning. Just about 20 years later and I still wrench every weekend. Though now it is mostly my motorcycles.

Crayon

Oh they streamlined at all right.

This game is a wholesale move to an online platform. It seemed like they started off clear about that. At some point these interviews and more information seemed to get more ambiguous about it.

This really is similar to the street fighter V situation. They didn't make a secret about it, and people could see more or less where it was going, but it is still a big shot two people. I know the publisher doesn't want it beat people over the head with the change coming ahead of the release, but that's exactly what you would have to do to ensure that most customers are the most informed.

Now this trauma brought about by the big change is primarily chattering from the peanut gallery as well as actual consumers of product. I think reviewers have done a good job keeping a level head and reviewing the game for what it is what it has and what it's trying to be. They seem to understand that this is the new platform and that the platform is good or at least interesting but there are not enough cars tracks and events.

They took GranTurismo and they cut into it and they made this new thing the online service platform game. I think we predicted that this was not going to please everybody.

Unknown?

Yout post comes across as a defense of the result, to which I'll make the sardonic comment: I guess we should remove manual shifting then.

At a time when a new generation isn't casually exposed to the workings of motorsport, car mechanics, and automotive legacies, that's exactly when a full-throated Gran Turismo career experience can, would, and should thrive. Gran Turismo is one of the series that sparked my interest in racing, and cars in general. Reading the instruction manual for the first GT explain why things like tyre squeal often represented a loss of grip that made acceleration and turning less efficient, my eyes were opened to what would end up being my driving style. Bombastic, loud, action-movie style driving was slowly revealed to be wasteful and impotent to me, in a competative setting. The technical explanations were fascinating, and I wouldn't have been exposed to it were it not for the instruction manual for a videogame.

What Yamauchi is saying is just as true now as it was then for me and countless others. That should be the impetus to create, not to omit. If he doesn't understand that, he doesn't deserve to helm the series he birthed. It's apparently outgrown him.
Oops. I wasn’t commenting about the game design, just his statement. While it was true in the 80s/90s it’s certainly more true now I feel. We kinda keep going further away from automotive passion that peaked in the 60s here. Always makes me sad when my peers don’t care about their cars.

Add me to the list of people who didn't know how an air filter improved performance when they played Gran Turismo, but enjoyed upgrading cars anyway.

The real loss, to me, is the lack of emphasis on the old, cheap cars that some critics noted as a potential reason why the traditional career mode couldn't make a return. I'll be honest: I love driving the clunkers and upgrading them until they're competitive. I've long imagined some kind of racing game miracle where someone builds a 24 Hours of LeMons simulator, complete with a robust lineup of wrecking yard specials and barn finds (but not the nice ones from Forza Horizon, I'm talking about 1987 Pontiac 6000s and Hyundai Excels and the like).

But hey, fair enough. I get why Polyphony wouldn't want to spend time on that stuff; the market has moved on from that kind of indulgence. I am a little sad that it reduces the "car RPG" feel of the franchise, but if it's successful in its new form, who am I to judge?

It's funny cause its true, with Europeans on average being more savy than their north Americans counterparts.

Still stings though.

I don't think I know anyone who can change a tire neverimnd doing something like an oil change lol.

Not gonna lie, usually in past gran turismo games I just tuned my car to max out horsepower, and reduce weight as much as I could.

I also always used soft racing tires.

So....here in Gran Turismo Sport it just automates all that shit for me. I choose the level tier of upgrades be it engine power or weight reduction.

I can still select and alter gear ratios, and make other necessary adjustments like tire types.

So...ehh, looking back it tuning up your car was just always a time waste, so I'm glad they just automated all that shit anyway.

All I know is that air filters increase horsepower. Gimmie the best air filters you got.

Basically this. I just chose the shit that made the numbers go high and the weight go low. I knew what each and everything did in terms of physics and mechanics, but it didn't make sense to me to -not- have the best air filter, or the best gear boxes, so i always thought it was silly how there were all these lesser, intermediate components. Couple that with load times, tuning up your car in Gran Turismo was always a fucking headache. So, yeah - I'm okay with how it's been streamlined.

Are there any championships in the Missions? How would that even work?

The career in this game is Sport mode. Special events and License Tests and Training seem to be scattered about the Missions and Circuit Experience and Etiquette from what little I have seen of those modes.

And there are several progression ladders even if you never touch Sport mode.

cyber_ninja

Oh my god

GT:S truly is a joke of a video game

asXXbHO.jpg

You trying too hard.

jwhit28

I learned how cars work because of Gran Turismo 2 on PS1. If I could find that info on 2000 internet, I'm sure young people today could too. That was also the fun of having affordable cars in GT. I could do all this crazy stuff in game to a car that's just like the one sitting in the driveway.

MaDKaT

I learned how cars work because of Gran Turismo 2 on PS1. If I could find that info on 2000 internet, I'm sure young people today could too. That was also the fun of having affordable cars in GT. I could do all this crazy stuff in game to a car that's just like the one sitting in the driveway.

That was always fun. Mirroring cars I had to the ones in the game as closely as possible. Granted it exposed a lot of the limitations of the physics but damn it was still fun.

Same here. I had no idea what a gear ratio was until I learned by playing GT.

shandy706

It's funny cause its true, with Europeans on average being more savy than their north Americans counterparts.

Still stings though.

I don't think I know anyone who can change a tire neverimnd doing something like an oil change lol.

Is this an actual fact. I'm an American and I've been customizing my cars since the 90s. One of my closest friends works for a company that does nothing but custom builds and alterations.

I also drive 2 manuals (and have 2 automatics). My Mustang and Toyota truck are manuals. My Mustang has had multiple aftermarket alterations (some done by myself).

I changed out everything from my intake to my spark plugs in my Corvette. Also had the exhaust done.

Top Bottom