• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Gran Turismo Sport retail launch bigger than GT1 and GT6, less than GT5

bombshell

Some news from yesterday, UK physical sales only, no digital.
Gran Turismo Sport is the UK's number one game, with almost three times as many physical launch week sales as racing game rival Forza 7 managed.

Data from Chart-Track reveals Gran Turismo Sport, the first in Sony's long-running racing sim series to launch on PlayStation 4, had better week one unit sales than both the original Gran Turismo, which launched on PS1 back in 1998, and the last version, Gran Turismo 6, which launched on PS3 back in 2013.

But Gran Turismo Sport's sales success is dwarfed by the series high - 2010's Gran Turismo 5 had week one sales over three times higher.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-23-gran-turismo-sport-finishes-first-in-uk-chart

- There's also a comparison to last week's Shadow of War launch here:
Gran Turismo Sport is the most successful racing game launch of the year so far, in a period where we've seen a number of notable competitors. It has comfortably outpaced Project CARS 2, Forza 7 and F1 2017. Despite being a single-format release, it also sold slightly ahead of the week one sales of Middle-earth: Shadow of War.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...o-sport-in-congested-week-for-uk-games-retail

- Bruno MB numbers for perspective:
Gran Turismo - 44,000
Gran Turismo 2 - 115,000
Gran Turismo 3 - 74,000
Gran Turismo 4 - 253,000
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 108,000
Gran Turismo 5 - 269,000
Gran Turismo 6 - 55,000

Forza Motorsport 7 is below 30,000 units.

[Week 41, 2017] MIDDLE-EARTH: SHADOW OF WAR (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE) ~ 82,000

My note: GTS must be bigger than 82,000, so also beating GT3 launch, even though Eurogamer did not mention that.

xrnzaaas

Yeah those are expected numbers. Now let's see if it has legs like most of the new Forza games. I can see many people jumping in later (myself included) when they add more content and more strictly SP stuff.

I thought this game was a demo with the small amount of cars in it, but then I saw "GT Sport demo released" and I thought "what? A demo of a demo??". Now I've discovered this is supposed to be a full GT game, but with only seven and a half cars. I'm out, I'll buy Forza instead.

I wonder how Forza will fare after the Xbox One X comes out.

I'm not surprised GT Sport did well, the PS4 has no other simulators!

If it wasn't for the rest of the games this month and the Internet connection crap I would have bought it as well.

T.O.P

Banned
Whoa. I never thought this would sell well in this day and age.

If you say racing game most people still immediately think Gran Turismo, it's an incredibly popular franchise

The legs on GT:S on the other hand, i'm no expecting to keep up

Dueck

Banned
GT has been inferior to Forza (imo) since last gen. Xbox One’s botched launch announcement had very far-reaching consequences though, this being one of them.

I don’t want to rain on their success, good for them, but it’s coasting these days. DriveClub has been my favourite racing game all gen though, so I’m willing to admit that my opinions won’t necessarily reflect those of the majority...

xrnzaaas

It will probably get a bump from the bundles, but I don't expect it to be a huge one. They chose the wrong year to release the X. If this was Forza Horizon year we'd be getting some serious numbers. ;)

Er, there's Project Cars. I don't know if Asetto Corsetta has released yet.

Yes it has and after all the patches it's in a very good state. :)

My note: GTS must be bigger than 82,000, so also beating GT3 launch, even though Eurogamer did not mention that.
Me neither, but, GTS has launched a lot later im the life cycle than GT3 did - more comparable to GT5s launch.

Is PS4 in the UK tracking higher than PS2 was at GT3s release?

Last march PS4 UK sales were over 5.5m, so GTS sales are roughly < 2% of the install base.

It will be heavily bundled, but I think the 'mostly online' word of mouth will hurt it badly.

I'm not surprised GT Sport did well, the PS4 has no other simulators!

If it wasn't for the rest of the games this month and the Internet connection crap I would have bought it as well.

Sorry, did Project Cars 1/2 and Assetto Corsa not come out on PS4?

tusken77

Good stuff. Not bought my copy yet. I'm planning a Black Friday PS4 Pro purchase. GTS will be the first game I play on the Pro.

postaboy

Well I'm not surprised. GT is like the king of racing games. Well sale wise. GT5P, GT5, and GT6 sold like 22 million+ on the PS3 last gen. No racing game franchise (looking at you Forza) has yet to come close to that number.

c0de

This game will be heavily bundled, so it'll sell well regardless.

It is already, isn't it? I mean, everyone expected high FW sales because of
1. bundles
2. game name
3. late reviews that could've hurt FW sales

It will be more interesting to see how the long term sales will turn out and how bundles will continue.

Chobel

Not bad, but not great either. Let's see how it fares next week, I suspect severe drop because of the (too much) online focus of the game.

Glad to see GT Sport sell well, after all the hate it was getting.

I've been playing a lot these last few days, it might be very different but it's still a hell of a lot of fun to play.

mcfizzle4

Will deserved. I'm really enjoying GTS and I only dabble in online racing, 10 races total since launch. But to me this is by far a better package than GT5 and GT6.

c0de

Why's that?

Have you checked the DF video comparing GT:S on the Pro to a PC running F7 at 4K? Go watch and then ask yourself the question again.

Wait, games sell because of a DF comparison? What? The metacritic says that F7 is 9 points higher than GTS but the DF metric is a better one?
Please tell us what you wanted to say with that comment.

Widge

That's fatigue right there, not that uncommon with MS exclusives.

Yeah, the big series need to pivot a bit to shake things up and move with the time. With Forza, it's got Horizon there to mix it up and, as an outsider, it is the far more appealing game. I

t'll be interesting to see how Sport fares over time, I'm thinking of how Driveclub was a far different game but will always be judged by its release. No Man's Sky too.

Wait, games sell because of a DF comparison? What? The metacritic says that F7 is 9 points higher than GTS but the DF metric is a better one?
Please tell us what you wanted to say with that comment.

I'm questioning what he feels F7 does so much better that it deserved the better sales when in fact it would seem that GT:S is the technically the better product of the two.

c0de

I'm questioning what he feels F7 does so much better that it deserved the better sales when in fact it would seem that GT:S is the technically the better product of the two.

Yes but why does a technically better product relate to better reviews (it doesn't, apparently) or more sales?

Yes but why does a technically better product relate to better reviews (it doesn't, apparently) or more sales?

I've never stated it should, I just asked the poster to go watch the video and then ask the same question, what is F7 doing that it deserved more sales?

c0de

I've never stated it should, I just asked the poster to go watch the video and then ask the same question, what is F7 doing that it deserved more sales?

This is of course a legit question but relates to the review threads. Apparently reviewers thought that Forza 7 is overall the better game. Arguments back and forth with loot boxes and missing singleplayer can be drawn but in the end, one game was a lot better in terms of scores than the other one. Which, again, doesn't relate to sales but subjectivity aside, a better game should result in better sales in an ideal world.

Top Bottom