• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People that moved out: Do your parents help you out with your rent or with money?

Estellex

I am planning on moving out but I am glad my parents are going to be helping out with my rent.

I think even though you are not financially independent you are still taking care of yourself.

WaterAstro

I think it's better to be financially independent before moving out. Getting a job that will pay for rent and your lifestyle should happen before because moving out is expensive. Yeah, it might suck being baby-ed for a year or so, but at least you'll leave the house in a better position.

If anything, don't have the mentality that your parents can pay for your rent forever. People tend to slack on such situations.

MickeyPhree

I moved out 16 years ago. My parents have never had to help once. I got a job and supported myself like most adults.

I am planning on moving out but I am glad my parents are going to be helping out with my rent.

I think even though you are not financially independent you are still taking care of yourself.

How are you taking care of yourself if you aren't paying your bills?

judhudson

I suppose your age plays a factor here, but I moved out and cover all of my own bills.

For people less unfortunate, but still want to be independent from their parents, they seek out roommates to lesson the cost of rent.

Big Blue

Nope, I don't want them feel that they have any ownership to my living space, even if their intentions are good.

highrider

Banned

If you are not financially independent you are not taking care of yourself, you are being financially provided for by a third party, in this case your parents. Taking care of your basic daily needs is great, but being truly self realized and financed is entirely different. There’s nobody to call when you’re short rent.

T.v

I am financially independent, but my parents still help out in small amounts. Not neccesarily with money, but they often bring me food and the like and I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Nah, my mom moved me to NC when I was 16. She hated it here and went back home when I was 17 straight leaving my ass here with almost no warning. But I've always been independent, so I just continued on.

OP, be grateful that your parents are paying for you and enjoy it! Remember to save some money too. To be on the more advantageous side I would live with roommates.

Dunki

Yes they did. I went to study 500km away from home and even with my student credit it was not enough so they luckily payed my rent for 2 years whcih I am very thankful of because they are not rich nor had much to spare.

This would be something I would do for my kids as well. I rather support them than trying to hinder them in the end.

Faenix1

I don't see the point of "moving out" unless I could afford to do so on my own. Though I also don't have parents that could help pay my bills as well as theirs.

I currently live with my mother and she does the rent while I do the bills. Seemed easier to just take over all the bills than just sending her money.

Nope. You have some pretty cool parents. My cousins are like that. Get bailed out constantly by my aunt. At one point, one of them moved into a $1600 apartment, and my aunt and her husband were paying 1200 towards it. I don't think they will ever truly be independent. At 18, my parents were charging me rent.So definitely take advantage of what you have right now. Save that money that would of went to your rent.

Estellex

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely be saving the money that I don't have to pay for rent.

I am going to school too so it would be a bit harder and I am glad my parents are helping me out. Though I am taking care of my basic necessities and planning things out much better. THough, I may not be financially independent I still am better off than the people that live with their parents.

MultiCore

I moved out at 19.

My parents didn't pay for anything, but what they did do was help me with financing. My first place was a mobile home, so they basically co-signed with me. I made every payment, wouldn't dream of harming their credit.

I know times are different, but at that rate, I'd just stay home until I could move out free and clear.

Dunki

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely be saving the money that I don't have to pay for rent.

I am going to school too so it would be a bit harder and I am glad my parents are helping me out. Though I am taking care of my basic necessities and planning things out much better. THough, I may not be financially independent I still am better off than the people that live with their parents.

I think it is also a sign that you parents love and support you all the way. Be sure to "pay" them back and even if its not money when you can not pay but rather attention, regular visits etc. Make sure they know that you love them as much as they love you. ^^

Estellex

I think it is also a sign that you parents love and support you all the way. Be sure to "pay" them back and even if its not money when you can not pay but rather attention, regular visits etc. Make sure they know that you love them as much as they love you. ^^

Thanks I will try. I just wanted to get away from home because my parents are somewhat mentally stressful to me.

rokkerkory

It sucks that in this good economy, many folks still need help from their parents. I would rather it be where the kids are giving back to their parents when they move out.

I guess that's a pipe dream.

I'll lend something of my mum if I need it and always pay her back. Wouldn't have moved out if I couldn't afford to pay full rent. I do get a free dinner once a week, not because I need it but because its become a thing that I go and spend a day with her 1 day a week to catch up and dinners just part of it.

Relativ9

I moved out at 17, cause my mom moved away from the the town I was attending school at. She helped out 3 times over the first couple of years when I didn't have enough money left for food (bills, rent, and stupid irresponsible Shit). Nothing wrong with getting help sometimes if you're in a pinch. But if you have the option don't move out if it means they have to help paying rent on a regular basis. Be an adult and suffer living at home till you can support yourself.

Dunki

Thanks I will try. I just wanted to get away from home because my parents are somewhat mentally stressful to me.

I was the same but my relationship got so much better after i moved. Parents can be very stressful also for your mental health.

It sucks that in this good economy, many folks still need help from their parents. I would rather it be where the kids are giving back to their parents when they move out.

I guess that's a pipe dream.

We in Germany get even social welfare but the twist is not when you go to university to study. So I had to take a private loan which was over 25k and it still was not enough for supporting me for 3 years and I was not somone who did spend a lot of money during my university period.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member

I was kicked out when I was 18. Rented for years and years and years while I worked my ass off to try and save any money I could. Finally bought a place last year.

You're lucky to have parents willing to help you out financially, trust me.

Estellex

I was kicked out when I was 18. Rented for years and years and years while I worked my ass off to try and save any money I could. Finally bought a place last year.

You're lucky to have parents willing to help you out financially, trust me.

You are my inspiration. You must be extremely hard working.

Dunk#7

I think you meant to say your parents are better off than those that live with their parents. Your parents basically have two residences and allow you to live in one by yourself.

Many work and go to school at the same time. It is tough, but that is life. It is fun trying to choose between picking up shifts to make rent and studying for a test.

I think my dad had to help me once with rent simply because of a string of bad tippers, but in general you should be working towards being completely independent.

ChuyMasta

I don't really see much of a point of moving out if your parents are helping with the bills....

Unless you move out because of job training location or something and you know you will be financially independent once your training is over.

tkscz

Small things when I'm having troubles. Gas, T.P., laundry, little things. Never asked for help with rent.

Swass

I turned 18 and my parents said "you aren't going to school, you don't have a job, you have 2 weeks to figure things out." And 2 weeks later I was homeless.. luckily I had friends with good families that took me in until I got my shit together.

Moved out at 19, haven't ever needed financial assistance from my Mom (I'm 33 now).

I would not suggest moving out if you cannot afford to live on your own income in at least a roommate situation.

Even if your parents can/want to help you, there is so much potential drama to the situation.

I moved out at 24, bought a house. Haven't taken a dime from my parents the past 16 years towards any of my living expenses.

itt jealous people

a transition period is great, enjoy it and be thankful.

Jealous of what? Why would I take money from my family to give it to someone else? If I’m depending upon them I’d rather they keep their own money, and I’ll save mine until I’m financially ready to leave, and take care of myself.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm really lucky. I just landed my career-type job so I'm moving out AGAIN and my parents are helping me with the transition. I probably won't need much help since I'm already working and will have plenty of money, but they'll help if worse comes to worst.

I recently took the bar and my mom suggested that I come back home to study (which, in hindsight was an excellent idea). That way, I could just study and didn't have to worry about work or rent. With the crap, non-paying job I had before, there was no way I would be able to do both anyway.

But it has all been reciprocal here. For instance: recently, the hot water heater went kaput and I helped pay for a new one (and I ALSO spent at least 6 or 7 hours of labor in the basement, engineering a makeshift pooling/piping system so our basement wouldn't flood) My mom offered to repay me, and I'm like, "LOL...stop."

No. I had to become an adult at an early age.

Started paying rent TO my parents at the age of 16.

You're living a charmed little life. Enjoy it. And I'm not being sarcastic either.

Sakura

I had to pay rent while living at home before I moved out, so as you can imagine I certainly didn't get any financial support moving out.

This is something that still amazes me. When it comes time to purchase my own home, I would most likely be in close proximity to my parents.

Moved out when I was like 25, Mexican upbringing though staying with your parents at an older age was not really thought of as weird. My aunt lived at my grandmas until she was like 30.

No. If they're still paying for you then you are still on their teet and the fact you don't live under the same roof is purely symbolic.

Whizkid7

I forcefully made myself have to pay for myself by moving out. The job I had at the time wasn't full time so it was a pretty reckless thing to do, but luckily it went full time before I ran out of money and would have to beg my parents. Once I was out I took over paying for damn near everything of mine.

Only thing my parents still pay (currently for) is my phone plan, because my brother and I were on our family plan and it was cheaper for everyone to stay on it than switch. But he just recently had to get his own plan so I'll be doing the same soon too.

Bluecondor

I don't understand the negativity in this thread toward getting help from your parents when you are first moving out. It is smart to use family connections when you move out, as this helps keep you on your feet moving forward.

In my case, I lived with my parents through graduate school and then moved out in 2001 after I landed a full time job. But - even though my parents don't help me financially anymore, they still help out with my house even today (e.g., my Dad will take a look at a plumbing issue before I call a plumber and my Mom is into gardening, so she stops by and does some things in my yard, etc.).

This is something I pay forward now that I have money. For example, my niece is in her mid-20s and works as a nurse's aide. She lives in her own apartment, but I gave her my used car with 60,000 miles on it when I bought a new car.

It is a real asset to have family support when you are figuring out how to make ends meet when setting out on your own. Hopefully you will be able to return this support to your family when needed in the future.

I don't understand the negativity in this thread toward getting help from your parents when you are first moving out. It is smart to use family connections when you move out, as this helps keep you on your feet moving forward.

Jealousy. I much rather for example would have liked to have good parents, but we all don't have that. Some of us get thrown to the wolves and have to live life by trial and error until we figure it out. For some, having any security at all is a luxury you see.

There are some who made the choice to leave early as well, and they are sharing their experiences. People naturally compell others to live like them. Of course it's the internet, so add some black and white thinking to it.

Top Bottom