• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People that moved out: Do your parents help you out with your rent or with money?

llien

Heh, I was the breadwinner (when USSR collapsed most of older people struggled to find jobs) so, when I moved out I continued to support my parents.

Nester99

My folks paid my rent while I was in University. I was very lucky.
Once that was over and I had my own job that stopped. They still helped, but not on a regular basis.

Now the pendulum has swung the other way as an adult, and I now pay part of the rent of my MIL, and happy to do so.

-Minsc-

This is something I pay forward now that I have money. For example, my niece is in her mid-20s and works as a nurse's aide. She lives in her own apartment, but I gave her my used car with 60,000 miles on it when I bought a new car.

This is how I'm moving toward looking at it. I've gotten help in one way or another. It's taking a while to get off the mindset of wanting to pay them back. Give myself motivation to get more stable so I can actually help others in the future without feeling like I'm giving assistance I which I feel I'm not in a place to give at the moment.

Laserdisk

I was kicked out when I was 18. Rented for years and years and years while I worked my ass off to try and save any money I could. Finally bought a place last year.

You're lucky to have parents willing to help you out financially, trust me.
I am halfway well paid, and rented before and had to move back at one point.
I am moving back out finally, and renting again but the idea of saving and paying rent does not seem possible!
How on earth did you do it?

my parents are wealthy enough that they give out large sums of money for christmas and birthdays, while letting us pretend that we dont look forward to it as a source of annual income.

Having said that I make more than enough myself that I do not need it, but im still gonna take it.

MogCakes

Mine didn't help me when I moved out, but that was by my choice since I'm stubborn and prideful. Eventually I want to be someone people can rely on for support when they need it, although at the moment my earnings aren't near that level.

It took a good 8 years before the pendulum swung the other way for me. My aunt had my grandmother sell the house after I graduated high school. I didn’t have much of a choice and I wasn’t prepared in any manner to be living on my own. We pratically all lived under the same roof growing up, I felt family took care of family sort of thing. Now we’re scattered all over the place.

I did do a lot of trial by error and skin of my teeth sort of thing. But the past is the past. At least now I can help out in her time of need and provide support. The funny thing is, I have way less income than I did back then and I’m better off.

Hell no. Never asked them and they never offered. They let me stay home rent free until I was ready, though.
Moved out at 24 shortly before I got married.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
My two older children 19 and 22 have tried to move out a few times and we have had to pay their bills for them. After we stop they come back home and now they are both in college and living at home until they graduate and have financial stability.

At home we don’t charge them rent and they pay no bills, but somw how they still ask for money! It makes me chuckle, because we struggled, we had 2 children with my wife in college at the University of Illinois, her working and I was going through boot camp.

Sometimes you just have to smile!

Zidy

Every so often I'll need some help with rent. Lot of negativity in this thread around it but don't be scared to ask for help when you're sinking a little bit.

When I initially moved out, I never asked for help. But now with two kids, sometimes my bills catch up to me a bit. I always try to pay them back in whatever way I can, but they don't expect me to. My mom received a lot of help from my grandmother when she was raising my brother and me after she divorced my dad. Shes always willing to give a helping hand because of the example she was given.

G-Bus

Banned
No. Grew up fairly poor and really wanted to make it work on my own.

Took it a step further and moved 800 km away with no job and $2k in my account.

Yes. I only net around $2000 a month, and this is the highest paying job I've ever had. I have too many bills to support myself alone. Rent, utilities, car payments, car insurance, health insurance, cell phone, student loan (this is the big killer honestly), credit cards, food, gas... After everything, I have no money left over to save.

My parents pay my car insurance and toss me about $80 a month for card payments. I pay for everything else. Together we'd come to a conclusion that it was more important that I moved out and continued to grow as a person rather than stay tethered there due to money constraints.

Depending on where you live, it's just not feasible for a lot of young people today to make it on their own, even with a full-time job. I'm still looking for something better, but man it's been a slow-going process. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never own a home. I'll rent until the day I die unless something dramatically changes and I magically land a dream job somehow in this shitty job market.

DKPOWPOW

It's the other way around for me, I support my mom (she's disabled and the only money she has goes to rent) and have to manage my father's finances (he has Alzheimer's and majority of his monthly income goes to the nursing home).

When I first moved out I think my dad helped me a number of times (as have other various family members during difficult times).

I have no problems taking other people's money if they offer it, I do it for a living anyways (bartender). But I will not ask for help unless it's absolutely necessary and I have no other options.

Skar

I got some help when i really need3d it but i was mostly supporting myself. As i should have. There are ways to cut costs and increase incomes if youre in a spot just takes some effort and changes. Im not stuck in a mortgage or anytbing though.

Now i make about 60k a year at 26 and support myself entirely. It took a long time and a lot of work but im comfortable wifh what i have and i rent so im not tied down to a place.

Aranjah

When I was a full-time student in college they helped me out. I didn't have to focus any energy on juggling a job and school at the same time and could focus completely on school, and I'm grateful for that.

Since I've graduated and gotten a job, though, naturally I'm on my own for rent and major expenses. (Though sometimes they do still volunteer to help with some things.)

PG2G

I'd like to think that if you're a student and it was within your parents means they would help out financially so you could focus on studies. I'd imagine it's common because a lot of people do t go to college within local to home.

Its different if you're an adult with a career and still relying on them for money.

In neither example are you taking care of yourself, but one is expected and the other isn't.

McFads1

Neo Member
if you need your parents help moving out and need their money to be living on your own, then you shouldn't be living on your own IMO.

spend some time saving up money, and move out only when you truly can do it on your own.

Estellex

I got some help when i really need3d it but i was mostly supporting myself. As i should have. There are ways to cut costs and increase incomes if youre in a spot just takes some effort and changes. Im not stuck in a mortgage or anytbing though.

Now i make about 60k a year at 26 and support myself entirely. It took a long time and a lot of work but im comfortable wifh what i have and i rent so im not tied down to a place.

What is your line of job?

mhayes86

I had about $1k to my name when I was offered a job and needed to relocate three years ago. My grandparents loaned me $1500 to help with moving expenses, but since then, I've been able to afford everything on my own.

I think it's fine if your parents are willing to help out at least in the very beginning as you start out on your own, but don't become reliant on them. If something happens to them, you should be able to support yourself.

Jake.

i'm 30 and moved out when i was 23. my mum took me grocery shopping (and paid) once a week for the first year or so but that was it. i greatly appreciated it since i was broke all the time.

njean777

Yes I just moved out this year and my mom helps me occasionally. I don’t like to ask for the help, but if I have to I am not scared to ask.

Mohonky

I'm a combination of both fortunate and unfortunate.

Unfortunately Ive suffered from crippling anxiety for my entire adult life starting at 20 (been over a decade now), which at its worst, I couldnt even leave the house, at its best, I struggled like shit to even hold down a job so that makes my employability pretty low.

Im currently studying and will hope to be in a career position soon.

As such, I've never moved out per se, but my family has lived interstate and overseas for extended periods on time which left me by myself in the family home for years.

Even when I wasnt working at all I still had to pay for food and rent as well as usual bills (car, insurances, rego etc) so in that regard, while I wasnt paying rent to the tune of money it would cost to have moved out, I was still paying with what little I had as matter of principle.

However I am fortunate in the sense that if I got stuck, money has never really been an issue for the family and my parents haven't ever kicked me out or been unsupportive if I was really hard up, but Im of course expected to pay my dues.

Im hoping that when they leave this house, I'll be in my career position and I'll remain here while when they move elsewhere and I'll be pay rent here and use it as a kind of payment of the house also.

Fbh

When I moved out I was lucky enough to do so after landing a good job....So I was actually helping my mom with rent.

But as long as they can afford it I see nothing wrong with your parents supporting you financially, specially early on

Top Bottom